Author Topic: Bf's: Berdan Brass/steel Case/ Converting Berdan To Boxer  (Read 2886 times)

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
Bf's: Berdan Brass/steel Case/ Converting Berdan To Boxer
« on: June 10, 2010, 07:22:42 PM »
http://users.ameritech.net/mchandler/primer.html Converting berdan to boxer primer.

Reloading Steel Case ammo Reloading steel case. This guy actually deprimes by forcing the anvil out of the berdan primers instead of drilling.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/ST_steelcasedrelaods_200805/index.html Author test reloading steel case 45 acp wolf that is already primed with boxer primers. He ran full power loads. Steel is not forgiving like brass running full power loads. He used lots of lube resizing and carbide dies for the straight wall pistol case.
http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=20050&PN=1&TPN=1  Member tests concept of reloading 223 wolf which is also boxer primed.

I just drilled out a primer pocket for the wolf 7.62x39 for cci large rifle primers. I was looking at making small game loads, the 32-20 data cast bullets. I'm saving my steel cases if they're dry, no rust, etc. Also I'm pretty much saving any "brass" as long as it's in decent shape. I just used a drill but more refined methods like the first link would be better. I just wanted to see if it could be done so I quickly took a drill bit (probably too large diameter bit) and drill and drilled. I have no regrets about saving "junk" cases if it means that someday they will/might be called upon to launch a projectile.

The point of the drill punched through the anvil. Not exactly the most refined method. You can see the flash holes of the original berdan primer. Anyway, I would  for sure refine the method I used for this brief look into the subject.

Anyway, wanted to get this posted so we have the info now. We know it's not as great as nice brass cased boxer primed ammo. Get a good supply of more easily reloaded ammo. But have a new look at things for what they're worth than just leaving them to rot at the range. To realize potential if needed.

Other uses for cases:
1. Leather punch if you sharpen the neck
2. Judo points on arrows.
3. "scrapper" projectiles for bigger bore weapons
4. .... Other good suggestions???? I'm sure we can come up with lots more

:)

-Scott
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:55:43 PM by Sister Wolf »

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
Re: Bf's: Berdan Brass/steel Case/ Converting Berdan To Boxer
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 01:02:00 AM »
This is an interesting way to remove berdan primers.

A simple way to remove berdan primers

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 01:50:28 AM »
I watched that a couple days ago. Thanks for the reply, good stuff.

No a source for berdan primers? I thought old western scrounger had them but I didn't see them.

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 09:35:50 PM »
Berdan primers don’t appear to be readily available in the U.S.  :(