Author Topic: private matters..... men read at your own risk  (Read 42474 times)

brandys0524

private matters..... men read at your own risk
« on: December 25, 2008, 12:25:50 PM »
Ok ladies , have any of you gave any thought on how to deal with womenly infections when shtf?
I already get a yeast infection about once a yr , and with the dietary changes and possible less then sanitary conditions , I think it will be a big problem. I don't know about you guys , but I have to go to the doc and get a script because over the counter meds don't help. :-[ And its horrbile , I would cut off a finger to get relief!!!
And what about bacterial infections [bv] ? You need antibiotics for that.
And lord forbid you catch a std , but i'm married , and not to concerned with that one.

So how bout it ladies , should we stockpile monistat or what? Are we using herbal remedies? I heard a clove of garlic inserted will work , but I don't think food belongs down there. What do you think?  How about vinegar?
Once agin , there has to be another choice then putting foods down there. ??? ??? ???

Offline sassiesmom

• Prepper
    • Boost Virtual Services
Re: private matters..... men read at your own risk
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 09:19:12 PM »
I haven't tried it myself, but I have heard that tea tree oil will do the trick.  Apparently a person can saturate a tampon with it and it works a charm.  However, I think you wouldn't want to be using pure oil, but a blended oil (or blend a few drops in a cup or so of a carrier oil like grapeseed oil and use that instead).  There are other essential oils that work for several different ailments.  Oil of oregano being one of them.  Perhaps stockpiling some natural remedies might be a good idea as well as whatever girlie things we might need.

Oh...and how about stockpiling some toilet paper as well!!  Danged if I'm gonna use leaves! LOL

brandys0524

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 02:51:18 AM »
Now , thats the kind of info I am looking for!  I already have tea tree oil , so maybe I can pick up a bottle of grapeseed a well.  This sounds much more reasonable to me then the other methods I mentioned earlier!  Why is it that everythint that I can find to work on a yeast infection smells horrible? Tea tree oil , Vinager , Garlic  :-[  But I guess smelling a little funny will be the least of my probs if SHTF!
I know several of you men have been reading this , because of all the views with no replys..... So how about addressing this with your wife?
I never thought about it untill last night.
 I know you guys like to turn a bling eye and deaf ear on this stuff you DON"T want to know about us ladies , but its a fact of life , these things happen , and knowing how to cure a infection will earn you some big brownie points if SHTF!
Remember , if momma ain't happy , ain't nobody happy!

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 07:14:32 AM »
Well, I'll chime in, even if I do have the wrong equipment...so to speak.  :-[

My only suggestion would be to try it the next time you have a yeast infection.  You don't want to have to  rely on an herbal remedy when tshtf, only to find out it doesn't work.  Practice with you're...ahem...gear, before you have to rely on it. 

I'll let you tell us how it works before I suggest it to my wife.  Oh & best of luck. ;D

...& it was the "men read at your own risk" that made me click on this thread...we're so gullible sometimes.

Lucretius

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 09:24:07 AM »
Yoghurt let's you have a "nice" bacterial fauna, thus keeping the baddies out of there... so keep a yoghurt culture going, apply it daily, and you're good!
(HINT: compare the smell of a good yoghurt to the smell of you-know-what... that's natures way of telling you how these things should smell)

brandys0524

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 05:09:51 PM »
Now I hear that eating plain yogart with live cultures help to keep things normal , but am I reading you correctly when you say to apply it? I don't know about that.... you want me to apply a milk product in a warm moist place? Won't it rot? Doesn't sound right to me , but IDK.

Lucretius

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 01:12:01 AM »
Now I hear that eating plain yogart with live cultures help to keep things normal , but am I reading you correctly when you say to apply it? I don't know about that.... you want me to apply a milk product in a warm moist place? Won't it rot? Doesn't sound right to me , but IDK.

Yes, you're reading me correctly. Yoghurt is basically a bacterial culture, consisting of nice, human friendly, bacteria. That way no unfriendlies can find a home there, so it takes a lot for it to rot. Of course, I'm assuming that you wash with water a couple times a week at least...

As a bonus, does wonders with the pH!

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 02:10:01 AM »
Yoghurt let's you have a "nice" bacterial fauna, thus keeping the baddies out of there... so keep a yoghurt culture going, apply it daily, and you're good!
(HINT: compare the smell of a good yoghurt to the smell of you-know-what... that's natures way of telling you how these things should smell)
Can you post some links to documentation of yogurt used in this manner & I mean serious medical efficacy type documentation please?  I'd like to read more about this.

Lucretius

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 08:47:09 AM »
Can you post some links to documentation of yogurt used in this manner & I mean serious medical efficacy type documentation please?  I'd like to read more about this.

Hmm, I'm no doc, and so have no access to medical databases. Maybe you'll find Yahoo Answers is a good enough source?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080213045029AAJ7FZQ

It's an old trick, and kind of "folk medicine" home remedy. And I've had a couple of gf's who swear by it.

But I'm no expert, so my advice is worth about as much as you're paying for it!  ;)

brandys0524

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 02:48:52 PM »
Ok , But I am assuming if shtf , that it will be very hard to get my hands on some yogart. Yogart requires being in the fridge and doesn't last very long , right?
So , are there any other methods out there?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 05:00:37 PM »
Oh boy, where to start.

Brandy, you can make your own yogurt without even hardly trying.  And yogurt is a lot like sourdough starter, in that you can use the yogurt you've already got to make more yogurt.

Here's a link for you on how to make your own:  Make Yogurt

And now to address the apparent skepticism for both applying and using yogurt to help with Yeast infections.

First off, it's important to note a few things that every student of science (ie - all of us) ought to know about their body.  We have millions upon millions of bacteria in our bodies.  In fact, if I were to make every part of you invisible, except for the bacteria on and in your body, the idea is that you would still be recognizable.  That's how much bacteria is on and in you.  AND THEY ARE MOSTLY GOOD BACTERIA.

It is also important to note that species of bacteria are a lot like communities of people.  Imagine, if you will, that your body is, say, the United States.  Different parts of your body constitute different areas of the country, and different types of bacteria like to grow in those different areas.  Some bacteria prefer the warm, moist environments of our insides, and some prefer the dry, windy, desiccated landscape of our skin.  Some prefer our mucus membranes, and some prefer the most nutrient rich areas of our bodies, like the GI system, intestines, the urethra, our reproductive areas, etc.
You know how when human communities get really tight?  Small towns are the best instance of this.  EVERYBODY knows when the new guy moves into town.  And if he's bad news, he gets tossed out if the community can manage it.  Well bacteria is EXACTLY the same way.  Sometimes, they let newcomers hang out, because they provide something good for the bacteria (like the way humans let some dogs hang around their community, as well as cows, horses, sheep, etc.).  Sometimes, though, the recognize a threat, and they do their best to eliminate it.  They do this in a couple of ways.  They can out compete the bad bacteria, and shove it out of town by not allowing it any real estate.  Or they can get nasty, and poison the bacteria, if the good bacteria has the means to do that.  Or they can out compete the bad bacteria by starving it.  Think of how we might shove somebody out of town if we had no morals.  That's how bacteria work.  It's actually really fun to watch.  but, er.. that's another story.

First - I'm not a doctor.  I'm a pre-veterinary medicine student - and therefore only know what I know based on classes that I have shared with pre-med students.  These suggestions are based on my limited (ie - not Master's or PhD level) knowledge of Biology and of the human body. 

So saying that the application of yogurt culture (good bacteria) by either actual application, or by consumption is a good thing is absolutely correct.  It's like bringing in the police force.  Consumption of the yogurt is like bringing in the police force over the highways, and allowing them to sit in traffic for a while.  In other words, it takes a lot longer.  But it works just the same.  Application of the yogurt is like giving the police a bunch of 4X4s, and telling them to have fun.  :)  They will go crazy, and do everything in their power to eliminate the problem.

What worries me is that you are having this issue so often.  It says one of a couple of things, and each of them really need to be addressed by you in whatever way you have available.  The first of which, is that any medications that you are taking may be hurting the chances of your good bacteria to thrive.  IF that's the case, I'm not suggesting that you get off of your meds.  But I do suggest that you start eating yogurt in your diet more often.  Boosting your body's ability to kick the asses of bad bacteria is a very good idea for you if you have this issue often.
Also, washing too much down there can cause this problem.  I'm NOT saying don't wash down there.  I'm saying use something a little less industrial, yes?   :D  Like unscented Dove body wash.  Respect the poon, yo.  She deserves something more gentle than the microdermabrasion scrub you use on your toes.  Which brings up another point.  Don't use a washcloth down there.  Washclothes have mold on them from the day you put them in the shower.  They also have all of the bacteria that didn't die when you scrubbed it off of your skin.  Applying that mold, and those bacteria to your pretty places is not a great idea.  Use your hands, after you've washed them properly.
Also, I've heard that different kinds of water (soft or hard) can cause this problem too.  I'm not familiar with how to fix that problem, but it is something to keep in mind.

Again, I'm not a doctor.  I'm only suggesting what I believe to be correct.  If I'm wrong, don't hesitate to tell me so.  And if you have any questions, I'm neither bothered by the subject (obviously), nor do I think that any questions are "too stupid" to be asked.  And I'll do my best to provide backup for what I'm saying if it's asked of me.

brandys0524

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »
Its a real pain in the ass to get them so often. It seems to run in my family though , and when I mentioned to the doc that every lady in my family gets them a lot , he said '' I have noticed that when the mother gets a lot , the daughter does too , though we don't know why'' .
Any time I have to take a antibiotic for anything , I will get one. If I change my diet a lot , I will get one. If I take too many bubble baths , I will get one.  If I have on a wet swimsuit to long , I get one. If after I work out , I wait till I get home to shower , I get one.
Some women just seem to get them more then others. I don't know if its just bad luck or what.
I know all the ways that are supposed to help prevent them..... using ivory soap , no bubble baths , cotton undies , sleeping nude , no wet clothing EVER , that sort of thing. But sometimes those things are impossable to do. For example , you go on vacation , and take a boat ride, stop in a few places to snorkel... by the time you get back to where you can change out of your suit , you have been in a wet suit for a few hrs.... that would cause me to have a infection... it might not some women , but it does me. I figure in the PAW , they will be plenty of times when I might not be able to change out of wet clothing right away , or sleep nude , and I might run out of my ivory soap..... point being , anything can happen , and I just want to know what to do IF it happens. Prepare for the worst , but hope for the best.

Thank you for the info on making yogurt , I will have to print it out and keep it handy untill I can learn how to do it.

Lucretius

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 02:47:22 AM »
Sister Wolf:

+1 for taking the time and effort of explaining this in the way it should have been explained from the begginning!  ;)
Looking back at my own posts, I come terribly close to being that guy who goes "Just trust me on this one" in the forums, which can be really frustrating and pointless.

The police analogy is really funny too.... :D

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 11:39:28 AM »
The police analogy is really funny too.... :D

That's what I was aiming for, Lucretius.  I can't imagine a funner topic than Biology (micro, molecular, or otherwise), and I'm glad that my attempt to lighten a (potentially dismal) situation up wasn't lost on everybody.  :)

Offline flipper

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 04:36:04 PM »
While traveling and out of reach of our family doctor my wife came down with a yeast infection. We had heard of the yogurt treatment and since she was desperate, she decided to try it. We stopped at the supermarket and picked up a container of Dannon plain yogurt. We were not sure about whether she should eat it or 'apply' it so she ate most of it and 'applied' the rest. She did not get any relief at all. Maybe the Dannon is not a 'live' yogurt. We ended up cutting the vacation short to get back home so that she could get a prescription for Diflucan. The Diflucan in now part of our first aid kit! We bought some in Mexico recently and it is an over-the-counter drug there and a lot cheaper.

Lucretius

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 12:35:05 AM »
While traveling and out of reach of our family doctor my wife came down with a yeast infection. We had heard of the yogurt treatment and since she was desperate, she decided to try it. We stopped at the supermarket and picked up a container of Dannon plain yogurt. We were not sure about whether she should eat it or 'apply' it so she ate most of it and 'applied' the rest. She did not get any relief at all. Maybe the Dannon is not a 'live' yogurt. We ended up cutting the vacation short to get back home so that she could get a prescription for Diflucan. The Diflucan in now part of our first aid kit! We bought some in Mexico recently and it is an over-the-counter drug there and a lot cheaper.

Some info missing there, I think. How long did you let the yoghurt do its thing, before calling it quits? It's not instant relief yoghurt is good for, more like staying in shape for the duration!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 12:41:37 AM »

Some info missing there, I think. How long did you let the yoghurt do its thing, before calling it quits? It's not instant relief yoghurt is good for, more like staying in shape for the duration!

I'm with you on that, Lucretius.  However, having a medication in the medi-bag is *not* a bad idea.  If the medication is available, get it.  But remember that all medications go soft eventually, and knowing of other ways to relieve specific aches and pains is also not a bad idea.

Offline flipper

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 11:03:51 PM »
The yogurt was topically applied overnight with a pad to make sure it stayed in the area. We would have thought there would be some noticeable improvement by morning but no.

I've had experience with a GF (before wife) that was taking a lot of antibiotics that killed all the good bacteria in the mouth which was pretty uncomfortable. The Dr. told her to eat some yogurt and she started getting better right away so it did work that time. Same Dannon plain yogurt. So I have no idea why it would have worked one place and not the other. I'll have to leave the speculation to someone with some medical training to try and make sense of it.

Lucretius

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 03:02:03 AM »
The yogurt was topically applied overnight with a pad to make sure it stayed in the area. We would have thought there would be some noticeable improvement by morning but no.

I've had experience with a GF (before wife) that was taking a lot of antibiotics that killed all the good bacteria in the mouth which was pretty uncomfortable. The Dr. told her to eat some yogurt and she started getting better right away so it did work that time. Same Dannon plain yogurt. So I have no idea why it would have worked one place and not the other. I'll have to leave the speculation to someone with some medical training to try and make sense of it.

Hmmm. Biology is messy!  :D

There's always some element of trial-and-error in medicine, since the systems and chemistry is wayyy complex.

As long as I don't hear anything indicating acute harmful effects (such as allergic reactions), I think the yoghurt is worth at least a try. Of course, if you know you'll need the meds, any sane prepper would stock up on those!

skiffgirl

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 03:37:57 PM »
Ok I will chime on the garlic thing. I have to do this any of the over the counter medications or any thing that I get form the doctor only makes it worse.  :( I heard about the garlic thing one time when I was desperate and tried it. It worked like a charm. This is a little TMI but if you prick the garlic once or twice then put it in the cut off toe of a nylon pantyhose or a single layer of cloth diaper material that you have tied off with string and you put up there it really does work. Garlic has antibacterial properties that go to work right away. I have also used this in conjunction with the yogurt thing for a double wammy if it is really bad. I don't let it get to that point any more though. This goes into a little more detail http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/garlic.asp

Old Country Herbs

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 02:47:33 PM »
As far as having a stock of something to battle yeast infections I would recommend the easiest ingredient to get your hands on, Odorless Garlic Pills. Take internally. Do not, do not, do not break one of these open and use on your skin.

An herb you can stock up on is Pau d' Arco, it works quite well for yeast infections. Make a strong cup of tea, wet a paper towel in the tea and apply to affected area. Fight it from the inside by drinking the tea.

If you have a fresh garlic clove crush one in olive oil, if you have a jar of minced garlic use enough for 1 garlic clove. Let it sit for 15 minutes or so---your making a garlic infusion which you'll rub the oil only down there. The oil acts as a carrier that safely delivers the amazing anti-microbial properties into your skin eating the yeast and stopping the itch almost immediately.

Garlic alone can cause contact burns so be sure to use in a carrier like olive oil or other oils if you don't have olive oil on hand. If you must use garlic plain you can safely do this by crushing a garlic clove letting it sit for a few minutes and then making a poultice by wrapping the garlic in a paper towel moisten with water and apply.

By the way, Making a garlic poultice in a paper towel works great on fungus such as athletes foot. Stops the itch almost instantly.

Christina

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 06:33:30 PM »
Fantastic post, Christina.  Welcome to the board!  +1 for you :)

Offline sassiesmom

• Prepper
    • Boost Virtual Services
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 08:16:57 PM »
Yes...thanks for the reminder of garlics healing properties....forgot about that!  And thanks for the link!  +1

Offline CFG

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 07:07:59 PM »
Garlic is great; Acidophilus is also something that is good to have in your arsenal.  Many people are riddled with yeast in their GI tract from eating too much sugar, etc.  Acidophilus fixes the problem from the inside; raw cabbage also promotes healthy bacteria in the intestines.  Staying away from refined carbs and white sugar when dealing with a yeast infection probably helps too.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 02:41:22 PM »
I remember looking this up for a friend amidst my natural healthcare studies. While I cannot take credit for the 'Great Yogurt Conspiracy' this is the most concise lit of VYI and Vaginitis treatment alternatives I have ever found. Apologies if anyone finds the detail of the data offensive or some of the conspiratorial commentary, I just find it informative and very thorough. Hope it helps!

From the Feminist Women's Health Center Website(http://www.fwhc.org/health/yeast.htm):

Many women use non-medical methods for treating yeast, because the cost of over-the-counter methods is high, because they are unimpressed with OTC methods, or simply because they prefer more natural methods. Following is a partial list of at-home methods that may be helpful.

Yeast
  • Insert unpasteurized, plain yogurt with a small spoon or spatula or vaginal cream applicator. Insert at night and wear a pad. Repeat for three to seven nights, until symptoms disappear. Douching with yogurt and water can help, too. It also helps to eat a lot of yogurt.
  • "Paint" the vagina, cervix (you'll need a speculum) and vulva (outside area including the labia or "lips" of vagina) with gentian violet. It stains so you'll want to wear a pad. This usually works after one treatment.*
  • Insert a garlic suppository. Carefully peel one clove of garlic. Wrap in gauze and insert into the vagina. Leave in for up to twelve hours. Repeat as necessary. It also helps to eat a lot of garlic.
  • Drink cranberry juice. Unsweetened is best.
  • Insert Potassium Sorbate. This is used in home beer-making and can be found at wine-making stores. Dip a cotton tampon into a 3% solution (15 grams of Potassium Sorbate in one pint of water) and insert into the vagina at night. Remove in the morning.
  • Drink or eat Acidophilus. It's available in powder or capsules in health food stores or found in some milk and yogurt products. (Read the label; some dairy products have added acidophilus.)
  • Douche with a vinegar/water solution. One tablespoon of vinegar to one quart of water, once a day. Especially effective when used with yogurt suppositories.

Vaginitis
The walls of the vagina tend to thin as estrogen production falls off and this can lead to vaginitis. Vaginitis is a generally inclusive term that describes several conditions or causes of irritation and inflammation. The usual cause is irritating, alkaline (pH6+) secretions burning tender atrophic vaginal tissue, especially if it is abraded or cracked. The following suggestions should help reduce itching and burning and get you back into the pink.
  • Motherwort tincture (take 2 dropperfuls daily) quickly restores pliability and thickness to vaginal walls.
  • A Comfrey root compress will soothe itchy, dry vaginal tissues and promote healthy skin growth and regenerate cells. Infuse the comfrey root and soak a face cloth in the liquid. Apply the wet, warm compress to your yoni while reclining and sitting on a towel.
  • Brew an infusion of nettle several times a week. To invigorate and nourish vaginal tissues, drink it and sit in it. While sitting in the tub, hold the nettle juice in your vagina for several minutes by elevating your hips slightly or by holding your nether lips closed with your hand. (Note: nettle is a wonderful woman's herb but harvest with care; wear gloves. If she doesn’t sting you, it is probably too late in the season and her medicinal qualities will be dormant.)
  • Chinese herbs such as Dong Quai (Angelica sinensis) are helpful and indicated here, but my personal preference is to use herbs that are indigenous to my own area. I prefer to gather the healing plants from my own backyard. Just a personal thing.
  • To avoid the problem of burning with intercourse as part of your love play, try sensual, sexual escapades that don't involve penetration. Vitamin B complex and reducing stress help relieve burning.
  • Apply the oil from Evening Primrose Oil capsules directly to the affected area. This is a natural plant source of GLA (gamma linolenic acid).
Caution: Anti-itch creams containing cortisone contribute to osteoporosis. Avoid them.

More tips on Yeast
Yeast infections, sometimes called thrush or monilia, can be curdy, profuse, sweetly odoriferous white discharge with itching and inflammation. Yeast infections are not really yeast nor an infection, but a yeast-like fungus, known as Candida albicans. The condition is known as Candidiasis when it proliferates. Here are some tips to take the yeast beasts:
  • Nix the "feminine deodorant sprays, no soap, nylon bathing suits, or pantyhose without a cotton crotch. Wear only cotton or nothing at all. Hot, moist environments incubate yeast.
  • Lactobacilli such as acidophilus are natural residents of a healthy vagina. They prevent overgrowths of yeast. (They also turn milk into yogurt.) Insert two acidophilus capsules into your vagina daily. Adding Lactobacilli vaginally stops yeast from growing and creates copius amounts of lubrication.
  • Plain unsweetened yogurt which is available in natural food stores can be inserted as is into the vagina to help maintain or restore natural bacterial balance. Be sure the yogurt you use contains live cultures of acidophilus or lactobacillis (it will say so on the label). Insert at least two tablespoons daily: you will need to wear a pad. Here are some tips on getting it in there. Yogurt can be inserted with an empty tampon inserter, vaginal cream inserter or a turkey baster (the baster works best). Symptoms should be relieved within 48 hours.
  • If the yeast is persistent and you experience chronic or repeated overgrowths, then all of your lovers need to be treated as well. If your partner is male, have him soak his penis in yogurt or diluted apple cider for 5 minutes daily to kill the yeast living in or on the glans; this way he won't keep re-infecting you.
  • If neither acidophilus or yogurt cure the yeast, you need to re-acidify your vagina. Boric Acid is the most efficient, and you can purchase it in the drug store. Dilute it one teaspoon to one cup of warm water and mini-douche daily with the barrel of a syringe, or use a diaphragm jelly inserter which can be bought at the pharmacy without having to buy the jelly. Don't use if the skin is raw or broken, and discontinue if an irritation develops. This is wet and messy but boric acid is anti-bacterial and will cleanse some non-specific vaginitis as well.
  • Apple cider vinegar douches (two tablespoons vinegar to a pint of warm water) is very effective. Even though yeast flourishes in an acidic environment, there is something in vinegar that inhibits its growth. Vinegar can also inhibit the growth of bacteria and trichomonas by establishing the proper acidity (pH) for the proliferation of "good" bacteria. Don't douche for longer than 10 days.
  • Regular douching should be discouraged. The vagina is a self-cleaning environment, so routine douching shouldn't be necessary and could make your vagina too alkaline. Women who douche more than three times a month are four to five times more likely to have rampant yeast.**
  • There are drugs sold over-the-counter now in pharmacies such as Nystatin or Mycostatin (fungicides) and Monistat or Gyne-Lotrimin, etc. Also in some pharmacies, homeopathic remedies such as Yeast-Guard are now available.

Non-specific Vaginitis
Non-specific vaginitis is bacterial and characterized by burning and itching, usually with a discharge, odor, sometimes a rash and painful intercourse. It's probably a good idea to visit your local midwife or nurse practitioner and have her check it out under a microscope to see what kind of bacteria you're dealing with. To eliminate a mild bacteria infection:
  • Garlic -- Insert a peeled clove of garlic high up into your vagina, being sure to push it all the way up to the cervix (which feels like the tip of your nose), every night for a week. Garlic is well known for its antibiotic properties, but you may walk around smelling vaguely like a pizza.
  • Betadine (povodone-iodine) suppositories and douches are available in drug stores and help cure nonspecific vaginitis. Wear a pad to control staining.
  • Your health care practitioner may prescribe Metronidazole (Flagyl), taken orally, when an infection is severe or chronic. Flagyl is very heavy duty, however, and should be taken only as a last defense.
  • Lastly, as with all of menopause, you are more likely to be troubled with vaginal complaints of your adrenals have been exhausted by overuse of coffee, cigarettes, alcohol and white sugar. Yeah yeah, I know the same old advice -- but it's true! Throw that coffee pot away, it's a bad drug. (Each cup of coffee robs your body of 5 mgs of calcium!) It's nasty stuff.

* Making a Gentian Violet dilution at a ration of 1:100 in water can help getting into the nooks and crannies that are out of reach. Off topic, many find success in making a Gentian Violet salve during breastfeeding to treat Candida outbreaks.
** As a hygienist I disagree with the opinion that the vagina is an excellent self-cleaning system. While I agree that overcleansing the cavity is detrimental to the health and happiness of the woman I have found that regular attention to the area is actually a rarity. Regular cleansing, say once every moon cycle, is beneficial provided only clear non-chlorinated water is used. Any additives to shift the pH of the water should be handled with the utmost care.

PeaceChicken

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 11:28:39 AM »
This doesn't have to do with yeast infections, but it's still a "private matter" so I'll post it here.

What have the more experienced preppers done to address the monthly requirement of period supplies?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 12:19:30 PM »
This doesn't have to do with yeast infections, but it's still a "private matter" so I'll post it here.

What have the more experienced preppers done to address the monthly requirement of period supplies?

Every month, I go to the grocery store and buy twice what I need (including medication), and the extra goes in in a plastic bag in the pantry.  I have more of that stuff than we have food and water! :)

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 01:34:55 PM »

I switched to the menstrual cups. They are so much more convenient! I still have some of my tampon stockpile left so I keep that for barter and such. I also learned how to fashion up homemade pads during a historical workshop.

PeaceChicken

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 01:43:50 PM »

I switched to the menstrual cups. They are so much more convenient! I still have some of my tampon stockpile left so I keep that for barter and such. I also learned how to fashion up homemade pads during a historical workshop.

I thought about those cups since that's an obvious renewable resource, but I'm so afraid to use them, they creep me out. Maybe I'll buy one just for emergencies and just make myself suck it up if it comes time to actually needing it. How much are they, like $15?

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 01:57:08 PM »
Yes right around 15$. I understand, trying it for the first time wasn't easy for me either but once I started there was no looking back. One thing to consider with the cups is no TSS! I will suggest you not wait until TSHTF to try them, learning curves can be longer in times of duress. plus they take up a lot less room in my BOB.