Author Topic: bullet Jacket dies  (Read 3570 times)

Offline BatonRouge Bill

• Survivalist Mentor
bullet Jacket dies
« on: July 01, 2010, 07:53:53 PM »
I purchased my reloading equipment because of the present political climate/government mostly for prepper reasons to be able to long term reload if the government pulls ammunition off the shelves. Being I just a Jonah at this stuff I was wondering if I could get your opinion on the stuff for forming bullet jackets and pressing bullets instead of casting them.
http://www.corbins.com/jackets.htm

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: bullet Jacket dies
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 09:50:13 PM »
Start up cost is fairly steep, but a one time expense.  You could buy a good many factory bullets for the same money.

Primers and powder seem to be the first to  disappear during times of shortage. Without those, your bullets are slingshot fodder.

Cast bullets, especially with gas checks, may be the  better way to go.

Offline product85

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 05:55:26 PM »
looked into this myself and the start up costs are brutal even when considering the 22lr casing to jacket system runs between 400 to 600 provided your press is for reloading is sturdy enough. Presses like the rockchucker are the minimum for that type of heavy duty swaging. Probably the easiest way for both the cost and diversity afforded to you would be casting. If i recall when i was looking into the swaging it would cost you almost 300 more for each additional caliber.... love the idea but not an easy endeavor for most of us.

Offline BatonRouge Bill

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 06:17:44 PM »
I purchased the Expert reloading kit Deluxe T-Mag 2 from Lyman for reloading and a friend is giving me his old rockchucker press which I was going to use for swedging the bullets with. I definitely had using the .22 lr spent jackets for 223 bullets in mind for this along with 1/4" lead wire.

Offline r1kk1

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 05:28:44 AM »
Both Dave Corbin and Richard Corbin handle bullet swaging equipment and supplies.

Richard's company
http://www.rceco.com/

Dave's company
http://www.corbins.com/

Here are a few thoughts to ponder:

1. Yes there are dies for reloading presses to do what you want to do, but a reloading press is NOT a bullet swaging press. Bullet swaging presses and the associated dies are totally a different animal than downsizing dies to fit a reloading press.
2. Don't forget to anneal jackets.
3. Remember to use pure lead wire, even lead wire cast from wheel weights can crack some bullet swaging dies, depending on caliber.
4. Must use bonding agent between jacket and lead.
5. Do your research.
6. Watch velocities using scrap .22s for bullet jackets.
7. J-4 jackets are getting harder to come by.

I personally would spend my money getting a hold of Jeff Bartlett in Kentucky for military once pulled bullets and hit the sales on mail order companies. I am not trying to discourage anyone from swaging, but it is NOT reloading, it is NOT casting, it IS a different animal. The initial costs are high and I would do it to fill a niche like .19 calibers, very specialized projectiles etc. Bullet casting takes care of most of need needs for rifle, pistol and revolver. I have shot recycled .22 rimfire bullet jacketed bullets and reduced my velocity accordingly. I spent time cleaning the said residue from a very nice 40x .222 barrel. Should have annealed, sorted spent .22 jackets by manufacturer, etc. It was a mess. Both make dies to create bullet jackets from fired cases for various calibers.

I like swaging. I like sub calibers. 12s, 14s, etc are fun calibers to shoot.

Just do a lot of research on Dave's site before committing to the cash outlay. Bullet swaging dies and bullet swaging presses come in different sizes depending on the caliber. I am not discouraging anyone, just I can't buy bullets for the sub calibers I like to play with. It is very difficult to buy pure lead wire and expensive! Lead prices are through the roof and J-4 jackets are getting hard to buy and expensive too!

take care,

r1kk1

Offline BatonRouge Bill

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 08:10:25 PM »
Thanks for your comments r1kk1. I am a machinest and I understand the annealing process just little about reloading and almost nothing about swedging. I will do the reading as you advised. I appreciate the advice on not investing in equipment until I have sound knowlege of what I may need. thanks.