Author Topic: Easy bread-making  (Read 18625 times)

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
Re: Easy bread-making
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2010, 01:28:21 PM »
I'm thinking about buying this one.http://www.webstaurantstore.com/american-metalcraft-stone14-rectangular-ceramic-pizza-baking-stone-14-x-15/124STONE14.html for my Grandson since he thinks pizza is the staff of life and it's only $8.99.

Offline Herbal Prepper

• Prepper
    • Herbal Prepper
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2010, 06:52:38 PM »
@Cat - there are 44 pages with 22 recipes on "pizzas and flat breads" (includes naan, stromboli, calzone, fatoush, etc.).

-N

@ Nadir!  That's awesome.  I'm glad to hear about the pizza crust, but I love naan!  And, we do not have an Indian restaurant anywhere near us.  Stomboli would be a nice change for dinner as well.  It is so easy to fall into a cooking rutt.

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2010, 06:56:39 PM »
...It is so easy to fall into a cooking rutt.

Ain't that the truth!  I was really into it for a while - new recipes every week, etc. then I kind of fell off the wagon and have been letting my fiancĂ©e do all creative kitchen stuff.  I need to change that.

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2010, 04:18:21 PM »
Interesting blog post today by one of the authors of Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. He does a review of pizza stones:

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=2159

Enjoy!

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2010, 06:09:29 PM »
LDMorgan, definitely let us know if the tile works.  I've been holding off buying a pizza stone due to the cost also.

That highly inexpensive piece of floor tile works perfectly. (If not better!)

We just popped a loaf out of the oven and it came off the slate like it was on wheels.

No sticking, even though the surface of the slate is naturally uneven.

The crust was absolutely perfect & so crisp it crackled.

I won't even have to put handles on the slate. It fits almost level in the top of my oven broiler pan, and if I needed it to be perfectly level I could just set it on a cookie sheet.

Ditto if I wanted to use two stones at once, like when cooking for a crowd.

The bottom of the broiler pan, on another shelf, was just right for the hot water.

My Sweetie is REALLY happy with the no-kneading part of this system. And the multi-loaf capability.

I'm really happy, too: That was some good bread!

I think I may need to rest up now from cutting all the little pats of butter.

Offline baygal

• Survivor
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2010, 03:08:28 PM »
That highly inexpensive piece of floor tile works perfectly. (If not better!)

I want to try it. Exactly what kind of tile did you get? Do you have a picture or item number or something?

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010, 08:33:51 PM »
I want to try it. Exactly what kind of tile did you get? Do you have a picture or item number or something?

I don't have a picture or a item number, but I can describe it for you. What I got was a plain old grey slate floor tile, 12" X 12".  Here is what Home Depot has to say about slate:

Multi color is a natural stone slate that is formed in layers and split to expose vibrant colors and a unique texture. With a large selection of sizes and accessories to choose from, multi color can easily be laid in a pattern or single layout. This particular slate is suitable for residential and commercial installations, including kitchens and bathrooms.

It was priced at about $1.50/sg. ft.

You can get it just about anywhere. They make 16 " X 16" tiles, too, if you especially want the larger size.

Here is a site with more about slate tile:
http://www.builddirect.com/Slate-Tile.aspx

Basically, if its a natural slate, and it's about as cheap as dirt, it's the right stuff.

The tile I got was about a half inch thick, which is great for the purpose.

Enjoy!

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2010, 09:06:15 PM »
While on the subject...

In this particular life, I just happened to have a pizza peel lying around so I didn't have to go out and buy one.

The type I have costs about $13.00. That's not a lot of money, but it's about the cost of four gallons of gasoline--and I can always use a little extra gasoline.

Other people can too, I figure.

So, in the interest of people not having to spend gas money for a pizza peel, I'm going to try an experiment.

I'm going to put my next loaf out to rise in a shallow aluminum baking pan.

I'll dust the pan with cornmeal first to prevent sticking, and when it's time to toss the loaf into the oven, I'll just set the whole pan right down on the slate pizza stone.

I think the loaf will cook exactly as if it was sitting directly on the stone.

I mean, how much can 0.040" of highly heat-conductive aluminum interfere with
cooking the bottom of a lump of bread dough?

I don't think the bread will care.

This experiment, if successful, will make it much easier for me to put a loaf in the oven and get it back out again. I probably won't have to rescue another loaf from the depths of the heating element on the stove top, or deal with a Dali-esque lump of dough trying to crawl off the front edge of the pizza peel as I convey it frantically into the oven.

(Sigh. Just because I have a pizza peel doesn't mean I can drive one.)

Stay tuned, folks,  for the exciting conclusion of this exercise in cheap & utterly unskilled cooking...

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2010, 11:34:37 PM »
I love experiments like yours, can't wait to read the results.

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2010, 03:34:13 PM »
Well, the results are in...

We fired up another loaf of bread today, and I let it rest in a cornmealed pie pan before it went into the oven.

When the oven was hot, I set the pan directly on my pizza tile.

The loaf cooked fine, with good crust all around. However, it did stick a bit to the pan--in two small areas, one about the size of a quarter, and one about half as large.

Since it had a nice hard bottom crust it was a bit of a job popping those two areas loose.

In all, I don't think the convenience of using a pan outweighs the convenience of
getting to loaf off the tile without a fight.

My Sweetie had a couple of suggestions for the best of both worlds.

She advocates putting the loaf into a cold oven (always) because the first gentle heat fluffs the bread up better.

After the oven was fully hot, she would add water to the broiler bottom and simply finish baking.

That would pretty much eliminate the need for a peel, because the loaf could rest on the cold stone and then both could be put into the cold oven together.

Once the loaf is baked, it comes out on the stone and a spatula is all you need to transfer it to a cooling rack.

We're going to try two loaves back to back to see if the cool oven/cool stone technique makes any significant difference compared to hot oven/hot stone.

Poor me (Oh! La!): More fresh bread tomorrow!

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2010, 04:41:38 PM »
Such suffering for a good cause.  ;D I wondered if you would get any stick but it really sounds like it was minimal even if it was a pain. Looking forward to tomorrow's update.

Offline baygal

• Survivor
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2010, 01:57:32 PM »
I appreciate you taking one for the team, LdMorgan ;)

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2010, 08:14:09 PM »
Announcer's voice: Here at Loaf Labs, we're Baking a Better Tomorrow!
     (Camera Three: Opens on Laboratory with closeup of The Professor & Beaker looking erudite. In the background Animal is happily eating a loaf of raw dough.)

Well, I tried the back-to-back bake thing today. I baked two loaves, starting with a cold oven and cold stone for one, and finishing up with a hot oven and hot stone for the other.

The one on the cold stone rose really well--the gentle heat phase was definitely good for the dough. It also stuck to the stone so tight I had to use a small crowbar to get it loose.

The bread actually carried away a super-thin layer of slate in the bottom crust. I think "tenaciously"  might describe the way the bread stuck to the cold stone. The phrase "with unrelenting ferocity" also comes to mind.

(No problem, folks--the crowbar's okay. So's the bread. I'll just slather on a little extra butter.)

The second loaf went in easy, came out perfect, and didn't stick at all.

I still have a little bit of it left.

The authors said it right: a wet dough sticks. Period.

So you really do need to put it in a hot oven on a hot stone if you don't want to have to pry it off later.

A person could probably do a warm rise by putting the dough on parchment, but I will leave that possibility untested for now: I don't have any parchment.

Well--It were fun, anyhow, and I used up some butter.

I'll probably bake some more bread tomorrow, since I still have some butter left.

Offline baygal

• Survivor
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2010, 09:02:24 PM »
I dig your script :popcorn: I'm staying tuned for the next episode. At least we know what to avoid. I don't have a stone so... I pre-warmed a cookie sheet in the oven. I baked a loaf and it turned out pretty good. My cookie sheet got "cooked" in the process ;D Don't do this at home, kids.

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2010, 03:32:32 AM »
We've definitely been having fun since we got the book.

My Sweetie tweaked one of the recipes (less salt, added a little sugar) and it worked out very well.

We used to bake about twice a month, and freeze the extra loaves. Kneading all that dough on Bread Day was getting to be a real pain.

Frozen bread is ok--but fresh out of the oven is much better.

And never having to knead again is a real bonus.

That book is probably going to stay in print for generations.

IMHO any guy with at least three consecutive neurons should bump it right to the top of the Anniversary/Birthday/HappyXmas and/or Ishoredoluvu gift list.

(And get her a top-notch mixer too, guys, if you haven't already!)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2010, 06:13:54 AM »
check out this old thread with similar recipe: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=9085.0

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2010, 04:41:27 PM »
swoods should probably say that she has her daughter's copy of the book, not that she and both of her daughters have it!  ;D

I made bread with a few of the recipes when I had my copy, and I also used my pizza stone prewarmed in the oven. I do not have a pizza peel either. I used my hands to drop it on the stone with the rack pulled out to avoid burns (usually-did burn myself once), and then when the bread was done baking, just pulled the rack out some again and used a regular spatula to push the bread towards me onto a plate then push it off the plate to the cooling rack. No special tools at my house. Hope that gives some help to you bread makers out there. I have since found that making bread the old fashioned way is just as much fun for me. I even like the kneading time as it gives me a few (several) minutes of meditation time. Of course I am not working so I have time for the lengthy time needed for the kneading and rising.

Offline Roxie

• Prepper
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2010, 09:01:45 PM »
Well, this site is addicting. Just spent 4 hrs here reading all the info. I want to say "thanks" for all the tips. I just received my Healthy Bread in 5 Mins and also spent 42 bucks on the Williams Sonoma stone.  Now, I think I'll return it and go buy some tiles at Home Depot or ask on freecycle.  I'm embarrassed to say that at 49, I've never baked homemade bread before.  My mom makes the best "dilly" bread using dill weed - so good when it's warm right out of the oven with butter.  I've bookmarked the link to the authors' blog - great tips on the stones.

Again, thanks!

Heather

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2010, 10:32:32 PM »
Heather this board is awesome. I learn something new all the time here. Welcome.

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2010, 05:39:57 PM »
 side note-sorry everyone, didn't mean for my entire post to be in italics

Mona Folds

« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2010, 12:33:05 PM »
This 5 min bread recipe sounds good!  Honestly, I have too many cookbooks and don't even use them anymore, so I really don't want to buy any more.  But, let me guess...is the secret in letting the dough ferment 24 hours?  That's how I make my pizza dough and it is soooooo good.  I found the recipe on-line.  Look up recipe and Pizza Hut Thin Crust.  The crust has a nice malted flavor.  You don't have to knead the dough, just stir real good and let it sit at room temperature for at least 24 hours.  Or, you can leave it in the refrigerator for a week with similar results.

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2010, 02:11:21 PM »
swoods should probably say that she has her daughter's copy of the book, not that she and both of her daughters have it!  ;D

oops, I guess I thought mamabear was not keeping up with the forum..................... ;D caught red handed!

I

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2010, 06:39:57 PM »
This 5 min bread recipe sounds good!  Honestly, I have too many cookbooks and don't even use them anymore, so I really don't want to buy any more.  But, let me guess...is the secret in letting the dough ferment 24 hours?  That's how I make my pizza dough and it is soooooo good.  I found the recipe on-line.  Look up recipe and Pizza Hut Thin Crust.  The crust has a nice malted flavor.  You don't have to knead the dough, just stir real good and let it sit at room temperature for at least 24 hours.  Or, you can leave it in the refrigerator for a week with similar results.

Nope - there really isn't a secret per se - they simply give you the recipe (nothing earth-shattering as bread recipes go) but they indicate that other than the initial mixing of the ingredients, there's not call to knead the dough.  They specify letting it rise for 2-hours before putting it in the oven.  I've done it that way, and I've also left it in a loosely covered mixing bowl in the fridge overnight.  Same results - great bread. 

I know what you mean about too many cookbooks - my fiancée might have a bazillion of them. ;D

-N

Mona Folds

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2010, 07:17:21 PM »
Nope - there really isn't a secret per se - they simply give you the recipe (nothing earth-shattering as bread recipes go) but they indicate that other than the initial mixing of the ingredients, there's not call to knead the dough.  They specify letting it rise for 2-hours before putting it in the oven.  I've done it that way, and I've also left it in a loosely covered mixing bowl in the fridge overnight.  Same results - great bread. 

My husband's grandmother makes the best rolls which everyone loves and they're called "No Knead Yeast Rolls".  I've always wondered what the purpose was in kneading the bread.