Author Topic: 6.8 SPC  (Read 18285 times)

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
6.8 SPC
« on: October 17, 2010, 08:01:59 PM »
I just listened to the Reloading Podcast on the 6.8 SPC and would like to hear the opinions of anyone that has experience with it. Is it good for deer sized game and how it compares to 5.56. I would appreciate any opinions that anybody here has.

Pat

Offline sawtac

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bert the Turtle
    • Sawtooth Tactical
Re: 6.8 SPC
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 10:00:18 PM »
I like the 6.8 SPC a lot.  I own more than one, sell them, and advertise on the 6.8forums too.  ;)

Mine are for the AR-15 platform.  My hunter is a Wilson Combat 16" lightweight.  Of course it's on a flat top upper and I have a Viking Tactics rifle length hand guard on it.  I reload for it and my favorite bullet for general use is the Sierra 110gr Pro Hunter.  For hard targets I like the Barnes 85gr TSX and 110gr TTSX.  My go to powder is X-Terminator but I use H-322 sometimes too.  I get my brass from Silver State Armory and will be carrying their brass and ammo soon.

I'm building a shorty next.  I've got a 9" .300 Whisper and like the length a lot and might do a 9" 6.8 SPC too.

I'm taking my 6.8 hunter out for elk this season.

As far as comparing to the 5.56.  The 6.8 SPC is better at all ranges.  My eyes aren't what they used to be and I have given up on the long ranges (600+ yards).  I sold my M1a and my .308 Rem 700 and now the 6.8 SPC is my main do it all upper.  FWIW, I have .22lr, .223, 6.8 SPC, 300 Whisper, and .458 SOCOM uppers for my AR.  I'm not advocating not having a .223 upper.  I think you can do better.  ;)

I used to use the .223 for coyotes.  After seeing too many run off (not my shots) after being hit by a .223 I moved to the 6.8 SPC and don't plan on going back.

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 10:24:20 PM »
I've been thinking about getting a AR and when I heard the podcast it got me thinking about it again. He mentioned complete uppers being available and I figure that I better start deciding whether to get an AR and then maybe getting an upper in 6.8 SPC upper or a complete rifle in 6.8 SPC at the start.

Is ammo available or would I need to load my own.

Pat

Offline sawtac

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bert the Turtle
    • Sawtooth Tactical
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 11:37:25 PM »
Ammo is avaialble from SSA (where I'd get it), Hornady, and Remington.  Of course, you should reload it.  ;)

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 06:52:59 AM »
It's a great little round - my brother just picked up an upper for his, should have some hunting results in the near future. From what I have seen, should be great for whitetail or smaller animals - probably about perfect for boars. I think it is a little light for elk, but shot placement will be key.

That said, I don't see a lot of use for this round in a non-black rifle platform. In a bolt gun, could shoot 270 or 7-08 and have a much more common caliber.

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 11:42:54 PM »
I did some searching last night and read a lot about 6.8 SPC. Definitely need to reload it and make sure that I get the improved chamber. I found some ammo listed on internet. Is any of the commercial ammo loaded for the improved chamber or are all of the commercial offerings loaded for the SAAMI standard chamber?

I have some reloading equipment but haven't reloaded in years. If I go with the 6.8 SPC, I would like to start with commercial ammo and then work into reloading it. This would be a bit of a pain if none of the commercial ammo isn't full power. I may just get an AR in 5.56 plus dies and a nice stock of ammo. Then start reloading 5.56 and get a 6.8 SPC  upper and dies later. I don't want to add to much expense at one time. From what I've been reading, it does sound like a nice round and a better all around cartridge than 5.56.

Thanks

Pat

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 11:45:21 PM »
If I had the money I'd have a 6.8 SPC upper. I just can't afford to stock the ammo right now.

I won't buy the gun if I can't afford the ammo, and my standard is 5000 rounds and 7 magazines. If I can't buy the rifle, 5000 rounds, and 7 magazines, then I don't buy it. I made a few exceptions for special purpose weapons (380 ACP backup gun, and 50 BMG rifle), but I'd love to have one.

Right now all new weapons purchases are on hold until I get a Gen3 nightvision monocular and another set of more concealable soft body armor. Then the next purchase will probably be a Larue Tactical 5.56 OBR, but after that... when I can afford the rifle and ammo ....

I have the wilson combat recon 6.8 SPC page bookmarked. 2350 rifle, ~200 magazines, ~2500 ammunition, ~1500 optics.... $6550... carressing new rifle like a beautiful woman... priceless...

But I really really want one :(       Excuse me while I get a cigarette. :)

Offline sawtac

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bert the Turtle
    • Sawtooth Tactical
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 05:58:05 PM »
SSA used to make some "tactical" loads that were for the Spec II chamber rifles.  But, I think they stopped making it.  Since they will load in an 6.8 SPC chamber it was too dangerous.  That's while you will want to reload your own.

My preference is the 1:11 twist with an Spec II chamber.  You will get the best performance out of it.  (Well, there are some other interesting configurations but this one is your best bet for starting out.)

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 07:09:14 PM »
SSA used to make some "tactical" loads that were for the Spec II chamber rifles.  But, I think they stopped making it.  Since they will load in an 6.8 SPC chamber it was too dangerous.  That's while you will want to reload your own.

My preference is the 1:11 twist with an Spec II chamber.  You will get the best performance out of it.  (Well, there are some other interesting configurations but this one is your best bet for starting out.)

I have seen listing of 6.8 SPC ammo described as tactical. Are the rounds listed as tactical at full power for the SPEC II chamber?

Pat

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 07:22:07 PM »
If I had the money I'd have a 6.8 SPC upper. I just can't afford to stock the ammo right now.

I won't buy the gun if I can't afford the ammo, and my standard is 5000 rounds and 7 magazines. If I can't buy the rifle, 5000 rounds, and 7 magazines, then I don't buy it. I made a few exceptions for special purpose weapons (380 ACP backup gun, and 50 BMG rifle), but I'd love to have one.

Right now all new weapons purchases are on hold until I get a Gen3 nightvision monocular and another set of more concealable soft body armor. Then the next purchase will probably be a Larue Tactical 5.56 OBR, but after that... when I can afford the rifle and ammo ....

I have the wilson combat recon 6.8 SPC page bookmarked. 2350 rifle, ~200 magazines, ~2500 ammunition, ~1500 optics.... $6550... carressing new rifle like a beautiful woman... priceless...

But I really really want one :(       Excuse me while I get a cigarette. :)

I feel your pain. I looked at all mil spec ARs at $1,000+ and read that a complete AR in 6.8 SPC will be $200-$300 more. Add to that $1 per round for ammo and you have a pretty big price tag. I even looked at reloading components and realized that you can spend almost as much per round buying components. I'm going to have do a lot more looking around before I make a decision about this. It's like having a hot little lady smiling and chatting you up and knowing that you can't just yet. Waiting and thinking about it can be a sweet, sweet torture. Man she is hot.

Pat

Offline UA8

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 08:53:23 PM »
I as well understand your pain. I strongly dislike the idea of purchasing a 5.56 and really like what I've seen and read of the 6.8 think it would be near ideal for defense and deer sized game.  Unfortunately due to cost I will likely make a SGL 21 my first rifle and settle on the 7.62 for its defense capabilities and worry about the other issues later when I'm making a bit more money.

Offline Hamster

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 09:11:39 PM »
I'm not going to knock the 6.8SPC, but you might want to look into a similar round called the 6.5 Grendel.  It's about the same size, but it has a bit more reach. 

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 08:34:43 AM »
I'm not going to knock the 6.8SPC, but you might want to look into a similar round called the 6.5 Grendel.  It's about the same size, but it has a bit more reach. 

Might as well throw 6.5 Creedmoor into the mix...

Offline Hamster

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 06:02:29 AM »
There's nothing wrong with the Creedmoor, either, except that it doesn't fit an AR15 magwell.  The Grendel and SPC do. 

I'm just sayin... If you're going with an exotic cartridge, the price of ammo is going to be as high as an elk's ass, and twice as stinky, so you're likely going to spend a lot of time at the reloading bench.  If you're giving consideration to the SPC, it's well worth your time and effort to give an honest comparison to the Grendel. 

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 12:01:07 PM »
Until recently, the Grendel was proprietary, everything had to go through Alexander Arms. One of the many reasons I went with the 6.8.

If you do get the 6.8, be aware that the Remington brass is large rifle primered, and the SSA is small primered. Don't know about the Hornady as I don't have any.

Love the 6.8 - and yes, it is pricey compared to an AR in other calibers. But it is a marvelous round with excellent characteristics out to 5-600 yards.

Offline sawtac

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bert the Turtle
    • Sawtooth Tactical
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 02:23:20 PM »
Hornady brass is large primer.  At least the ones I got a couple of years ago are.  SSA is the way to go.

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 07:09:05 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'm probably going to go with an AR in 5.56 mm and then get an upper later with  6.8 SPC II chamber. I would like the 6.8 right away but that plus ammo would make it to much at once. Also, I probably won't go with the other chamberings mentioned for the same reason. I hoping the military will adopt the 6.8 and prices will come down eventually. Thanks for all the help.

Pat

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 10:08:37 PM »
Just a little update. I've started to take the plunge. I ordered a complete lower receiver with m4 style stock from Delton. I'm not sure what I'm going to put on top yet. I plan to get 6.8 SPC, 22lr and 5.56 eventually. Haven't decided on buying order yet. This is addictive. I'm already thinking about getting a stripped lower or two. I guess that you can't buy just one. Thanks again for your help.

Pat

Offline r1kk1

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 07:54:19 AM »
Wow! The .30 Remington comes back to life with a different case length and shoulder pushed back. I remember it was Remington's answer to the 30-30 Winchester. I use to own a .30 Remington.

Old stuff never dies, just finds a new use!

take care,

r1kk1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.8_mm_Remington_SPC

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 01:28:35 AM »
I have a complete AR in 5.56mm now. I'm in my busy season at work right now. Hoping to get enough overtime to afford a 6.8 upper or even a complete AR. More ammo for the current build or a new upper. So many decisions. Probably should buy more groceries too. So many preps. So few dollars. Keep your powder dry.

Pat

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2011, 04:35:58 AM »
You might want to look at the .300 AAC Blackout. If I were to do it over again, I would go that route instead of the 6.8, which has pretty much proven to be a non-starter, excellent ballistics notwithstanding. Here' why.

You can convert a 5.56 AR to .300 AAC Blackout by changing the barrel and using the right ammo. Period. That's it. Same bolt, same magazines, same everything except the barrel. Ballistics are very close to that of the 6.8 out a cartridge that is essentially a 5.56 cartridge necked up to .300.

Here's a link: http://300aacblackout.com/

Disclosure: I do not own a .300 ACC Blackout, have never shot one, but I am looking very closely. Ammo is cheaper than 6.8, and the round can be used in a variety of barrel lengths (including those requiring a tax stamp!  ;) ) and with suppressors.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 10:27:58 AM »
I had been looking at the 6.8 as an interesting hunting round then I started to read about the 300 acc blackout.  This might change my mind, esp if the only thing you need to do is re-barrel your ar-15 upper for around 200 dollars.  If you have an old ar-15 and you wore out the barrel -this might be a good project to convert that upper to a medium range deer rifle.

If you are looking at additional info - this would be a good website to get some additional background information. 

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/07/foghorn/ammunition-review-300-aac-blackout/

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 11:16:10 PM »
Thanks for the links. The .300AAC sounds nice. All I need is a barrel and upper. Bolt carrier group and mags are the same. I checked some ammo sites and it looks like about $1 per round. That's about the same as 6.8SPC. Over all, it looks like I may have to go with the .300AAC.

PAT

endurance

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 03:48:41 PM »
Looking at reloading components I'm a bit confused when it comes to 6.8SPC.  Some sights show absolutely nothing available, but other sites listed .270 bullets and 6.8spc in the same place.  Are they interchangable assuming you can get proper load data and appropriate bullet weights?  If so, it's not nearly as spendy to reload as I was worried about at $99/500.  Yes, it's still over twice the price for FMJ in .223, but compared to full retail on ammo it seems very reasonable.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 04:35:16 PM »
Looking at reloading components I'm a bit confused when it comes to 6.8SPC.  Some sights show absolutely nothing available, but other sites listed .270 bullets and 6.8spc in the same place.  Are they interchangable assuming you can get proper load data and appropriate bullet weights?  If so, it's not nearly as spendy to reload as I was worried about at $99/500.  Yes, it's still over twice the price for FMJ in .223, but compared to full retail on ammo it seems very reasonable.

6.8mm converts to .2677165", or .270 for bullets. The slight overage of .0023" is fine for the 6.8, just as .308 bullets are used for a 7.62mm (which = .300") cartridge.

So as long as the weights for 6.8 bullets and barrel twist rates are maintained, usually in the 95 to 115gr range, you can use .270 bullets. As a side note, I have only ever seen 6.8REM SPC bullets from Hornady, not from Speer, Sierra, Barnes, et al. They may exist, I have never seen them.

endurance

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2011, 04:51:52 PM »
6.8mm converts to .2677165", or .270 for bullets. The slight overage of .0023" is fine for the 6.8, just as .308 bullets are used for a 7.62mm (which = .300") cartridge.

So as long as the weights for 6.8 bullets and barrel twist rates are maintained, usually in the 95 to 115gr range, you can use .270 bullets. As a side note, I have only ever seen 6.8REM SPC bullets from Hornady, not from Speer, Sierra, Barnes, et al. They may exist, I have never seen them.
Thanks for that!  Good to know there's alternatives out there that might put the round back on my radar.  I need to check with DOW here in Colorado to make sure it's a legal round for big game before I get one (I'm pretty sure it is).  Being able to train with my AR with cheap .223, swap uppers, and have a big game gun is a very interesting option for me.  While I'm sure it's not going to be the long-range gun I need for antelope (which I use a .270 Browning BAR), for deer and elk where I hunt a 150 yard shot is exceptionally rare due to tree coverage, so the AR in 6.8 might be the ticket.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2011, 06:24:41 PM »
Thanks for the links. The .300AAC sounds nice. All I need is a barrel and upper. Bolt carrier group and mags are the same. I checked some ammo sites and it looks like about $1 per round. That's about the same as 6.8SPC. Over all, it looks like I may have to go with the .300AAC.

PAT

I've been thinking about this round too, so many decisions. I can't afford to stock them all, but something a little bigger than 223 will be nice to have.

Offline RUReady

• Prepper
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2011, 01:24:55 AM »
Bought a 6.8 upper years ago before there was any ammo available. Its a 20 inch 9.5 twist and bought it to kill an elk. In Oregon .224 cal is not legal. Just wanted to have my pic taken with an elk that I shot with a black rifle.
 Did a lot of testing and came up with a great load. I like 110VMax for hunting, because at 2600fps the bullet does not explode, but mushrooms nicely. Shot a huge cow elk 2 years ago at 270yds(ranged it) in the neck. The cow never moved after I shot. Bullet broke the neck as it passed through. Have shot many deer with this 6.8spc.
I like the 6.8spc because it has low recoil and does not waste meat like my 270 does.
     I hand lapped the barrel before I shot it. My hunting load shot a .386 inch 5 shot group at 100yds and the next best load shot a .627 inch 5 shot group at 100yds. It is the most accurate hunting rifle I have ever owned.

Love the 6.8spc.
  Dave

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2011, 06:27:03 PM »
Has anyone taken deer or larger game with the .300 Blackout.

Offline DocRokRx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chemical Medic
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 03:35:48 AM »
Has anyone taken deer or larger game with the .300 Blackout.

from what i understand about 300 Blackout, it is primarily supposed to emulate 7.62x39 ballistics in an AR format, while maintaining total parts interchangeability with 5.56 except barrel....
the SKS shoots 7.62x 39, and from what I've heard, is a pretty damn good deer rifle- I imagine the Blackout would do just fine