Author Topic: 6.8 SPC  (Read 18695 times)

Offline Duc1

• Survivor
Re: 6.8 SPC
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2012, 09:19:07 PM »
Has anyone taken deer or larger game with the .300 Blackout.

Umm, kinda a wonder thought on the blackout.  You should start a tread on the .300.

Offline Duc1

• Survivor
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2012, 08:47:27 AM »
6.8 SPC is a good cartridge that will work on deer.  It's not the best but who cares.  Most shots are not that long anyway and the lack of recoil is appealing to some.  The blackout, Grendel, and some of the others are good too.  I like the 6.8 because it's easy to find a large selection of light for caliber .270 bullets.  But with online retailers anything can be found so get what ever pleases you.

Offline Duc1

• Survivor
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2012, 03:10:54 PM »
Supersonic rounds work fine for deer.  The subsonic rounds may work but why risk tormenting the deer.  Don't try to get by with the lease suitable cartridge, the deer has a larger chance of getting away to die a slow death.

Offline SheepdogSurvival

• Survivor
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2012, 07:23:04 PM »
I'd stay away from 6.8. I've read (not sure were so I could have bad information) that because of the larger case size the size for the bolt face is also increased which significantly weakens the bolt. Because of this I this the recommended service life of a 6.8 bolt is less than 2k rounds. Granted this is not confirmed fact and I can't remember the source so take that with a grain of salt, however it makes mechanical sense to me since a 5.56 has been known to shear a bolt on occasion and it is a much beefier design than the 6.8. With that in mind.

+1 for the 300blackout....

(I don't own either, but plan on purchasing a .300blackout at some point in the future).

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2012, 10:04:11 AM »
    I wanted to do some research on the 6.8 when it was first came out. There was not much out there then in data or componets. Instead I used the 7-30 Waters for my test bed with short barrels. I had all this 30/30 brass and T/C had a 14" barrel for my Contender.  I used H4895 for reforming loads and worked up some nice loads with help from my computer. This combo likes the 120 gr bullet at 2200 to 2300 fps. I still need to work up some light loads. Just remember that short barrels mean less speed unless you go with faster powers which raise pressures (fast).
    Having said that, the 6.8 can withstand more pressure because of it's stronger brass. That could give you another 100'/sec. Load safe, work up slow.  73

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2016, 12:09:28 AM »
Just throwing this out there for fun, while kinda sticking with the OP and resurrecting this thread....  How about the .26 Nosler (6.5×66mmRB)?  I believe NEMO Arms is/was developing an AR platform rifle to support this caliber.  Could be a great choice for the "one gun" guy looking for a hard hitting big game cartridge that can offer point-blank range from 0-415 yards.