Author Topic: Costco tree score  (Read 8083 times)

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
Costco tree score
« on: January 15, 2009, 08:10:45 PM »
I went to Costco for tortillas and tortilla chips and ended up loading trees into my car.  They had a huge selection of bare-root fruit trees for $10.79 each, great bargain in my book.  The trees are about 5-6' tall and come in with roots loosely bagged with a bit of soil.  They are all grafted onto semi-dwarf and seem well suited for my region.  I ended up with a pear and cherry tree, too bad they didn't have the apples I wanted.

They also have the combination trees with 3-4 different pears or apples if that is what you were looking for.  I ended up selecting species that work well in my area and are self-fertile.

One thing about Costco, if they have what you want buy it as it will likely be gone next trip.

Claymore

Re: Costco tree score
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 08:54:21 PM »
Score!  I'll have to check them out this weekend!

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 12:22:14 AM »
 Sounds like a deal to me. I bought several miniature peach trees from Walmart several years back, and they are very productive. They have already paid back the intiial investment.   

Offline STLAR

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 07:20:45 PM »
Check to see if they need any other trees to polinate each other.  It would be a shame to get those two trees in and not get any fruit because they werent self polinizing.

SouthernLiving

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 09:04:13 AM »
Check around at local flea markets too.  Occasionally you can find unbelievable deals there. 

Good find Stein.

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 08:18:10 PM »
Check to see if they need any other trees to polinate each other.  It would be a shame to get those two trees in and not get any fruit because they werent self polinizing.

They had both, I went with strictly self-pollinating varieties.