Author Topic: Encrypt your phone  (Read 10495 times)

Offline AtADeadRun

• I<3 Mr. Bill
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Velocitas eradico.
Encrypt your phone
« on: January 19, 2011, 08:28:39 AM »
Ars Technica on passlocking and encrypting your phone

The takeaway?  To keep LE from putting its greedy mitts in the large chunk of your life on your cell phone just because they took it out of your pocket subsequent to your arrest, you *need* to have it locked, and much better is encrypting the whole disk to prevent the relatively large suite of data forensics tools from slurping it down despite the lock.

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
Re: Encrypt your phone
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 01:40:58 PM »
Not just for LE reasons, if you lose your phone, it is not always found by a nice person. 

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 03:32:25 PM »
Ars Technica on passlocking and encrypting your phone

The takeaway?  To keep LE from putting its greedy mitts in the large chunk of your life on your cell phone just because they took it out of your pocket subsequent to your arrest, you *need* to have it locked, and much better is encrypting the whole disk to prevent the relatively large suite of data forensics tools from slurping it down despite the lock.

I own an iPhone, and it comes with a passlock system with the option to auto-erase all information on your iPhone if the correct code isn't given in 10 tries. Needless to say if you are going to do that then you need to back your iPhone up on the iTunes program.

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 04:55:34 PM »
I own an iPhone, and it comes with a passlock system with the option to auto-erase all information on your iPhone if the correct code isn't given in 10 tries. Needless to say if you are going to do that then you need to back your iPhone up on the iTunes program.

IIRC, the article mentioned that there is a simple and known way around this function.  :(

Offline AtADeadRun

• I<3 Mr. Bill
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Velocitas eradico.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 06:29:12 PM »
Yeah, there are actually several forensic data recovery tools for the iPhone that, once hooked up to a PC, simply bypass the screen lock to get the desired data.  The badguy has to have physical possession of the phone, but if Sheriff Buford T. Justice has confiscated it during a search incident to arrest, he's got hours at least and days more likely to hook it to such a tool, clone the data, and hand it back.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 07:14:30 PM »
Yeah, there are actually several forensic data recovery tools for the iPhone that, once hooked up to a PC, simply bypass the screen lock to get the desired data.  The badguy has to have physical possession of the phone, but if Sheriff Buford T. Justice has confiscated it during a search incident to arrest, he's got hours at least and days more likely to hook it to such a tool, clone the data, and hand it back.

Doesn't this enter into the realm of unwarranted search and seizure?

Offline AtADeadRun

• I<3 Mr. Bill
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Velocitas eradico.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 08:25:44 AM »
...no, that's the point of the link, that in some parts of the country, it's specifically permitted for LE to root around in your phone during a search incident to arrest.

Offline RootStrike

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 05:19:34 AM »
Hadn't really thought about that much before, it makes a lot of sense. Not having reasonable cause, then one can "create" alleged reasonable cause, or just "because I feel like it" and plus also it is good to have personal or private info stay private. Wonder if there are any MI:6 apps that will make it self destruct in 30 sec. after it is taken?

Offline AtADeadRun

• I<3 Mr. Bill
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Velocitas eradico.
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 08:58:54 AM »
Another bit on this subject:  a German research team claims to have been able to extract passwords from a locked iPhone *without* the passcode to unlock the phone, in a matter of minutes.  Doesn't take long to commercialize technology like that.

Offline Giff Sheriff

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 10:20:55 PM »
Doesn't this enter into the realm of unwarranted search and seizure?

There may have been a time in country when the constitution and it's amendments mattered? But ever since 9/11 and the patriot act, our rights are being violated every day. Searches even of ones home, can be done by an officer who claims that while your door was open he smelled something or thought someone was in trouble. This is why when dealing with law enforcement, LESS IS MORE. In your car, only roll down your window enough to hand you papers through the window. Look through the peep hole in your house door and if it the police, DON'T OPEN IT or talk to them through it. It sucks, that law abiding citizens can't work in conjunction with the police to fight crime but in today's world, WE ARE ALL SUSPECTS :)

Offline R_Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Combat Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 07:58:28 AM »
On my blackberry I have it so that it encrypts all emails, calls (records of not actual calls), texts, photos and videos.

It also wipes the phone after 3 attempts. This can be a problem in two scenarios

1) Early morning and thumbs aren't working

2) Your young child gets your phone and mashes keys. this happened already actually! My kid was fumbling. Then I went to get it from her to make a call and nice whit screen showing the progress of the wipe was ongoing....

I have canceled the auto back up and manually back up the files and contact list on my computer which is completely encrypted. If some junior g man wants to crack it they will have a fun few months or more and then find a treasure trove of....photos of my kids and manuals on how to grow various plants and build chicken tractors, which I'm sure will be invaluable in the war on "terror".

Offline BLACK SHIRT

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 07:50:53 PM »
There may have been a time in country when the constitution and it's amendments mattered? But ever since 9/11 and the patriot act, our rights are being violated every day. Searches even of ones home, can be done by an officer who claims that while your door was open he smelled something or thought someone was in trouble. This is why when dealing with law enforcement, LESS IS MORE. In your car, only roll down your window enough to hand you papers through the window. Look through the peep hole in your house door and if it the police, DON'T OPEN IT or talk to them through it. It sucks, that law abiding citizens can't work in conjunction with the police to fight crime but in today's world, WE ARE ALL SUSPECTS :)
In your car, only roll down your window enough to hand you papers through the window.

I never understood this? Just roll your window down and cooperate. If you are an A-hole to the cop he will be an A-hole to you.

Offline R_Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Combat Veteran
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 11:07:38 PM »
True. But what if he asks you to pull down your pants and spread them for going 5 mph over? Sure its more. Extreme but its the same principle. There are specific things they have the right to ask you and many they aren't but do anyway. If they don't know that they shouldn't be police officers and shouldn't get pissed for not obeying an unlawful order

That being said even in states I am NOT required to state I am a ccw holder I still declare it while holding my hands on the dash. I am not an asshole, I roll down my window I make the interaction as smooth as possible and. Within MY comfort level as far as rights. Am I giving up rights? In small ways yes. If they start to go over the line ill shut it down. If they want to pull something sketchy they can bring it up to the judge when my video plays. There.

I do believe we have crossed the line now where it is now in the court of the police to "police" their own, root out the. Shitbags and EARN. The publics trust again. So far they are not doing. A great job generally.  Some depts yes many no. And yes I consider a dept no good if they allow dirtbags to continue doing dirtbag stuff and. Hide behind the blue line until something so aggregious happens they let him hang out to dry. Often the headlines read they were a 10 year veteran of the dept. You cannot tell me that this. Was some weird one time thing. I can guarantee that other cops have witnessed that behavior before and said nothing or said something and it was swept under the rug

Offline Cory (NewOldTech)

• Prepper
  • That's what I'm sayin'
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 08:11:40 AM »
If you encrypt your phone and all its files, when you then transfer a file to a computer or something, it's not encrypted anymore, correct? Is is readable then? That would be a problem it you transferred a file and you tried to open it but the computer didn't contain the unencrypt key rendering the file useless.

Always wondered about that....

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 08:49:57 AM »
you have to make sure you have an app on the computer to open the files. that should be part of your selection process for what to use on your phone.

• Prepper
  • That's what I'm sayin'
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 12:54:44 PM »
Thanks, Archer!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 02:00:54 PM »
If you encrypt your phone and all its files, when you then transfer a file to a computer or something, it's not encrypted anymore, correct? Is is readable then? That would be a problem it you transferred a file and you tried to open it but the computer didn't contain the unencrypt key rendering the file useless.

Always wondered about that....

encrypted files are readable (anyone can look at them), they are just not understandable....
example:
this little message below:
this is an encryption example

is encrypted using gpg to be:
-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.14 (GNU/Linux)

hQEOA/+PTwmzLby3EAP+LOmen+tVFRnyDwubaskR0ReCIUeyXUMnV/3F6/BMIIAJ
IvAFQVWajvY+Tv1hprCwkJdFIA+H4WkWO8OB4ZbUHKdYRPrliZeEwhp0HF9V4tXH
GBRPKQg6WLTmxFJsw6lokejCs8EJtBYAmjJn3SjmkG6+3L1CyHCURI3Fs9Ni/coE
AJQ7Y93ZUn1pflGzp/2Y1Iaz8TChQlqLhQl12BUOe1KEXWYKTeZZ70+pGDHTtC+i
0Rh7zKfFH7CKtGpEASI18NlFJMiFCJob18xh0bqL5MuRAvo7JmNx2G4SoY9T3V8n
9GUtaapTk4Ljh5l9y788YMyLfRZAV8ccuuE5t3/8hjJS0lsBNQ6paI1itWKEOwc1
I9jZRfaSoWsIBvLIG1JhMZtt8VBnwqSVXPEGSkWmhkKheAxlf8yodRHDJuwTnyjg
2NTQqIODU7frhjFzxrzO23Tx+dp7ahIDhZG4cD10
=zeJQ
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

or like this:
�   �-����X׆po�ɥ�����#�6��م[�����C��`d��\uXo6���#6�Dk�9��9�`��I�T���Ü�>&J�AS�
                                                                                             <iO�bs�vL*�6   _8�g�x��JX��J�0��=�7�\��� ���/��� x�2��a���
���l4c�%e��„]\&�n�c��cЮ�(���GO|yt���ς�:��jۿ6��8�]�Ѱ;N_�h�WU+긯�av$�
ئ&¤�Kx���
          P;�[�M�X���z[9���AN��&y�*���$���e��F.�Q�c��„�V�ɩ"��O����UyM�O�a�&�t Y��ո"(�E��~[

so we dont have to stop them from reading the data, we have to stop them from understanding it

• Prepper
  • That's what I'm sayin'
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 03:02:34 PM »
I know that one can see the data and they just can't understand it. My question was more if I had an encrypted file on my phone, can I transfer it to my PC and be able to see/use/understand the file. If the app came with a PC-side app that had the encryption key that the phone's app used, then that would work.

I wonder if I shouldn't use the Samsung's built - in encrypt option or find another app...

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 03:10:18 PM »
if you have a smart phone i'm sure there are apps to do that. but i cannot recommend any, i hate smart phones.

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 05:49:32 PM »
I know that one can see the data and they just can't understand it. My question was more if I had an encrypted file on my phone, can I transfer it to my PC and be able to see/use/understand the file. If the app came with a PC-side app that had the encryption key that the phone's app used, then that would work.

I wonder if I shouldn't use the Samsung's built - in encrypt option or find another app...

Unfortunately the best way to backup your android-encrypted files is to transfer them in-the-clear to an encrypted container on your pc.  However, storing them encrypted on your pc is not critical as it is harder to misplace your pc than it is to misplace your android phone.  Therefore you can just store them unencrypted on your pc if you wish but they are still protected by encryption if you lose your phone.

Jerseyboy

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 06:36:58 PM »
I know of several tech companies that forbid their employees from taking their smart phones overseas.  Not for what the foreign country may do, but for our own immigration on the way back! Burn phones and burn LAPTOPS! Never have had  any company secrets on them.

It is big deal.