The TSP Marketplace > MURS-Radio.com

Just received my order of Puxing radios - what can I do before I get my license?

(1/2) > >>

aakelley:
Just went down to the post office today and picked up my shipment of 3 (need two to use and one as a backup) Puxing 777 radios from MURS-radio.com.  I am working on getting my HAM license, but what can I do with them before I have it>  Can I use them as a scanner?  Can I program them to MURS and/or FRS frequencies and transmit?

Thanks for any ideas.

rob_ma:
You can program any frequency you'd like into the radio as long as you are just monitoring. If your local PD or FD are on VHF you should be able to monitor them as well. Your local weather broadcasts can also be heard on any one of the following:

Also, don't forget to start listening to your local ham radio repeaters as well. It is always good to know the proper operating procedures before you get your license and start transmitting. You can find local ham radio repeaters here:

http://artscipub.com/repeaters/

- Rob

kc9eci:

--- Quote from: aakelley on January 20, 2011, 05:06:34 PM --- Can I use them as a scanner?  Can I program them to MURS and/or FRS frequencies and transmit?

Thanks for any ideas.

--- End quote ---

Yes.

Yes and no.  Yes you can program MURS, no you can't program FRS.

Also...ham, not HAM.  It isn't an acronym.

cerakoter:

--- Quote from: kc9eci on March 07, 2011, 04:57:42 PM ---... no you can't program FRS.
--- End quote ---

Mine programmed just fine.  I did have to change the STEP setting to 5K though.

kc9eci:

--- Quote from: cerakoter on September 08, 2011, 07:07:54 PM ---Mine programmed just fine.  I did have to change the STEP setting to 5K though.

--- End quote ---

I meant legally. 

--- Quote ---95.194 (FRS Rule 4) FRS units.

(a) You may only use an FCC certified FRS unit. (You can identify an FCC
    certified FRS unit by the label placed on it by the manufacturer.)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version