Author Topic: After years of prepping and still going - by Victoria  (Read 260179 times)

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: After years of prepping and still going - by Victoria
« Reply #240 on: September 09, 2012, 09:59:53 PM »
Great post as usual Victoria. Glad to see that Texas wasn't on that list. Course, that doesn't mean that those on food stamps aren't all around here as well.
Bet that cobbler turned out great.
Wife and I bought a sun oven over a month ago and love it. Use it 3-5 times a week. Have cooked chicken, pork loin, soups, veggies, cornbread, cobbler, etc. Doesn't heat up the kitchen and should pay for itself within 6 months from not using the regular stove. Course, one can make a sun oven as well but it doesn't heat as high or last long term like the one the Sun Oven people make. Just another option for people to think about if the grid ever went down long-term. 

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #241 on: September 17, 2012, 12:18:05 AM »
I wrote the last article on Sept. 9.  There have been massive amounts of world happenings since then.

Information was changing by the minute and I wondered when we would know what really happened in Libya, then the whole world began rioting/protesting AGAINST US.

I've been putting the pieces together and the pieces kept changing, but I'll start writing what all this may mean for the future and it could be the NEAR future as opposed to the FAR future.

Do you feel safe in your home tonight?  I hope we all stay as safe as we are this night.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #242 on: September 17, 2012, 11:31:29 AM »
WORLD HAPPENING FACTS AND EMOTIONAL RESPONSE – WHAT DOES IT MEAN?...

First, let’s deal with the Federal Reserve.  Chairman Ben Bernanke and the board, did vote to print money, buy bonds, so banks would get that money.  They want banks to lend that money for mortgages so people will buy houses.  Good luck with that as banks’ rules for borrowing are very high now and many people can’t qualify for a loan of any kind, much less a house loan.  Plus, one can’t buy a home if one has NO JOB.  They will put 40 BILLION new dollars out EVERY MONTH.  They are already putting in 45 BILLION EVERY MONTH, so that is 85 BILLION every month.

Can you get your mind around 85 billion new dollars every month?  Expect every commodity we buy to go up in price.  Paying more for fuel means you cut back on buying physical goods which hurts companies you would help if you bought those goods.  The same with food, pay more, taking that money from other goods buying.  Your kid needs shoes, however, that kid needs food to eat.  Which do you put off buying?  Buying food to store for an emergency, will cost you more very soon.  If you are buying long term food items, buy them now or pay more in a few months or less.  Buy any non-food items now as they will cost more, too.  Everything will cost more.  Our country is committing financial suicide.  Which month does our economy finally collapse?  Besides our being bankrupt as a country right now, the world situation may push that collapse date closer if Israel attacks Iran soon as that could start a world war.  We’ll talk about that after we look at world happenings in the past few days.

(An aside:  I am going to try to grow tobacco – have a friend who will give me seed in November.  Will keep you updated about the process so you can decide if you want to be a tobacco grower and, if you don’t smoke, use it for barter – will be worth a fortune.)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 12:04:36 PM by TexDaddy »

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #243 on: September 17, 2012, 01:51:17 PM »
Hmm, something happened with posting that article.  It's not all there.  I'll post it again now.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #244 on: September 17, 2012, 01:56:07 PM »
Part of your previous post was removed intentionally, Victoria. Please don't post it again.

We will be contacting you shortly on the reasoning.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #245 on: September 17, 2012, 01:58:52 PM »
Okay, Nico, whatever you say.  You are the boss.

Offline Marianne

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #246 on: September 18, 2012, 06:28:42 PM »
The Moderator owes the readers of this forum an explanation for the censorship of the last post.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #247 on: September 18, 2012, 11:44:07 PM »
INSTEAD OF, “DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR CHILDREN ARE”?
“DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR MEDICINES ARE?”

I’ve been researching medicine for two days.  What is the state of our medicine supply and will you have it when a collapse/emergency of any kind happens?  What can you do to help yourself obtain a supply for more than one month, two months, three months, or more?

I should be through with this research by Thursday.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #248 on: September 19, 2012, 11:36:23 AM »
The Moderator owes the readers of this forum an explanation for the censorship of the last post.

Nope.

Moderator actions are based on what we think is in the best interests of the forum.  The details of those decisions are for the moderators to discuss.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #249 on: September 20, 2012, 04:12:03 PM »
INSTEAD OF, “DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR CHILDREN ARE”?
IT’S “DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR MEDICINES ARE?”

You’re probably like I was, would hear or read something about medicines being made in foreign countries and you dismissed it because your prescriptions always got filled at the drug store and that was that.

Within the past six or seven months, I had three instances when they were not totally filled at Walgreens drug store, and one that wasn’t filled FOR A MONTH.  The first time it wasn’t bad, was a Thursday and they would have the medicine that coming Monday and I had enough to get me to Monday.  The next time, a different medicine, and it would be a week before they got it.  Again, I had enough to get me to that date, but I wondered why it would take a week.

The next time, this past April, a different medicine, they put their last two pills in a bottle for me and said they wouldn’t have any more FOR A MONTH.  Stop right there – this got my attention really fast and meant something and maybe those other two times meant something and I didn’t click to those when they happened as they were resolved fairly quickly.

I’ve been thinking on that since then.  I remembered a number of years ago, I read something about insulin being produced in only one overseas country and none being produced here, but I didn’t need insulin, so I ignored it.  Insulin was available to buy here, so no big deal.  Now, it’s produced in more than one country, but none produced here that I could find.  There is a reason for this.

A couple of days ago, I decided to find out “where our medicines are”.  It took many hours over two days to trace medicine and to find credible sources to believe.  I copied information as I would find it and I did this over and over.  I didn’t copy anything someone said on a blog, because that is not credible enough.  I say that so you will know I was looking for truth, not opinion.

Here is an interesting tidbit – The FDA considers the country of origin of a drug to be confidential information.  I believe that to be true, because I couldn’t find the country of origin of a drug (except insulin) and I searched to do that.

I could sum this all up with this statement:  “More than 80 percent of the active ingredients for drugs sold in the United States are made abroad, …mostly in facilities in China and India that are rarely visited by government inspectors, who sometimes cannot even find the plants.”

That 80% includes brand names.  That was a shock as I thought brand names would be made here in the good old USA in swell, clean, hygienic, drug company plants that developed these brand names.  We can also add more percentage to that 80% by adding Carolina, Puerto Rico, for manufacturing drugs for our country (an Eli Lilly large plant is there manufacturing drugs including insulin).  Also, Eli Lilly has a new facility in China and their emphasis is insulin. 

How did this over 80% of meds made out of our country happen?

In the extreme early days of our country, everything we ate and used was made locally.  Meat animals were grown locally or shot in the forests.  We did import tea from England but our patriots dumped that in the ocean one day.  Before glass companies started up in New England, our dishware for the colonies were brought from England.  Glass companies began early on the east coast to provide what the settlers needed.  I know about early glass and china because my house is full of it and learning the history was part of that collecting.

As advancements were made in travel, food and products began to be carried to other areas.  Products and food began to be shipped even to other countries.  Today, you go to the grocery and see a fresh pineapple with a tag from Hawaii.

Companies were listed on the stock exchanges and making profit for stockholders became the emphasis for companies.  After a period of time, communication from country to country was easier, and companies began to make spreadsheets of profits available in this country using our workers, and profits available if they moved their manufacturing to other countries as they would pay employees there less money, meaning more profit.  Today, with the internet and other means, companies can keep up with their overseas locations almost as if they were there.

Profit is why your medicines are made in foreign countries.

That is where our medicines are, that is where they originate – that is brand names, generics, and over the counter meds – almost everything.  If something such as regional or world war, or loss of power, or collapse of currency, caused China and/or India and/or Puerto Rico, to stop exporting to us, millions of people here would die without their heart meds, blood pressure meds, antibiotics, the list goes on.  In this case, it’s not trucks stopping, it’s ships not getting to our country in the first place for whatever reason.

Insulin:    
Two companies produce almost all insulin – Eli Lilly and Novo Nordisk (Novo Nordisk headquarters is in Denmark – two offices in the US, can’t find any production facilities in US – the company is in 75 countries).  Your insulin is made in foreign countries. As of last year, Lilly also opened a large manufacturing plant in Puerto Rico and insulin also comes from there.  For interest, take a look at Eli Lilly from their website:

“We are comprised of more than 20 countries, including the United States and Japan, the world’s two largest pharmaceutical markets – along with Australia, Canada and Europe (known as the ACE region).”
“A heritage more than 135 years strong: company founded on May 10, 1876
Headquarters located in Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A.
Approximately 38,000 employees worldwide
More than 7,400 employees engaged in research and development
Clinical research conducted in more than 55 countries
Research and development facilities located in eight countries
Manufacturing plants located in 13 countries
Products marketed in 125 countries”

Note manufacturing plants are located in 13 countries and I could not find one of those manufacturing plants in the USA. 

Drug Safety:
I read reports that the FDA doesn’t have the manpower to go overseas often to inspect plants.  I read instances where some of our drugs were contaminated in Chinese plants and Americans died due to that before the contamination was discovered.

I take 5 little pills in the morning after I eat and take another 5 little pills at night.  I don’t take pills unless it is necessary, and I don’t want to be without these 10 small pills.  Based on my research, they all have to come from overseas since I can’t find any made here.  Also, based on my research, I wonder if one or more is contaminated?  If you read the laws on inspecting drugs and read the info. put out by the FDA, your medicines are totally safe because they are inspected for quality control, etc.  My comment to that is, “hogwash”.   They make infrequent trips overseas to inspect but they don’t have their inspector there in all these plants all the time.

How to have drugs for a year stored:
The first time I went to my new doctor, I told him some things about myself so we could get acquainted.  I said I was a “prepper”.  He said, “What is a prepper?” I told him and he laughed and said, “I’ll give you a prescription for a year’s worth of medicine.”

If you ask your doctor for a prescription for a year’s worth of medicine, he/she can do that.  Here is the problem:  If you have insurance and use it, they aren’t going to approve paying for more than three months medicine at a time.  That doesn’t mean you can’t get the medicine for that next nine months.  What it means is, you have to  pay the total cost of the drugs when you don’t use insurance.  Not using insurance, and having the prescription, you can buy the whole nine months’ worth at one time.

Consider your medicines – which ones are critical to keep your heart beating and your blood pressure low enough you don’t have a stroke?  We’re talking life and death here – which ones are critical to stay alive?  Consider buying those for that nine months not using your insurance.  If you can’t come up with that much money at one time, maybe you could buy two or three months at a time each month until you have all of it.

To have the max amount of meds in your house right now using insurance:
Re-fill your three month prescriptions (using insurance as usual), as soon as insurance allows - not when you have just a few pills left.  That way you will have more pills available all the time.

If you are like me, I can’t keep up with when each med can be refilled.  I am signed up on line with my Walgreens, and as soon as a med can be refilled, it is automatically refilled and waiting for me to pick it up.  Consider doing this with your drug store if you want automatic refill as soon as it can be processed.

It is regretful our medicines are not made in this country.  That is one product, one life and death product, that, in my mind, should have never left this country so it would be available and safe - even if it meant less profit.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #250 on: September 20, 2012, 06:12:20 PM »
Umm, Puerto Rico is not exactly a foreign country, being a territory of the U.S. and all.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #251 on: September 20, 2012, 06:33:07 PM »
OK, a territory, no problem, skipped my mind it was a territory.  It's still not within the mainland so takes more effort and time for the FDA to get there for inspection of drugs, plus getting ships with drugs out of there to here in a long term emergency is still problamatic.  If people can't get insulin, there will be millions of deaths.  The number of diabetics here has exploded and insulin is one of those life and death meds.

Thinking of forgetting territory, poor state of Hawaii.  In a long time disruption/emergency, I would not like to be on any of their islands (been on two twice), surrounded by water and needing medicine.  That is too sad to think about.

Thanks for posting, TexDaddy.  On the day the edit was done, I did not see the small print that you edited that post.  I thought it was a glitch. If I had seen that, wouldn't have done the second post.  Sorry that happened.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #252 on: September 20, 2012, 06:53:18 PM »
I just checked - Puerto Rico is 1,000 miles east south-east, of Florida.  It's that 1,000 miles that brings up questions of frequency of inspection and getting the meds here in a time of trouble.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #253 on: September 20, 2012, 08:30:41 PM »
"Yet it is closer to Florida than Hawaii is to California. It is closer to Florida than Texarkana is to Los Angeles. And it is closer to Florida than Dallas is to Orlando."

In a long term emergency, no medicine is going to any of those places. :)

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #254 on: September 20, 2012, 10:04:33 PM »
Thank you so much for more important research.  I'm sure most people had never thought of where their lifesaving meds were made.  Unfortunately, fish do not take blood pressure, heart meds, and insulin,lol :D

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #255 on: September 29, 2012, 08:27:12 AM »
In the past couple of weeks, I have added more prep items.  I'll post those later today or tomorrow.  Prepping never stops.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #256 on: September 30, 2012, 03:26:49 PM »
MORE ITEMS TO CONSIDER FOR PREPS

Zircon 63931, Leak Alert Electronic Water Detector 3 pack, $24+  (Amazon):
As you have read earlier, my first floor flooded a number of weeks ago.  Someone suggested water alarms to me.  Say what?  I didn’t know about water alarms.  These are electronic devices that sound an alarm if moisture gets to them.  It’s like a smoke alarm but for water instead of smoke.  They are much smaller than a smoke alarm.  The ones I got are about 5 inches long and 2 or 3 inches wide:  The three pack was about $25.00.  I bought three – three packs which gave me 9 detectors.  The alarm is loud and it is the SOS signal.  Each one takes a 9 volt battery and those are included.

I never want to find a floor flooded again or, which hasn’t happened yet and is too terrible tro think about, the downstairs ceiling falling in due to a leak upstairs.  I put a detector upstairs wherever water could leak..  There is one in the attic by the hot water heater, one under each potty in two bathrooms and one under each sink.  Downstairs, under clothes washer, under kitchen sink, under downstairs potty, and one where the water came in the living area. 

These water alarms will give you peace of mind - if you are at home, you will know if there is a water leak and you can get it fixed before damage to your house.  If you are in an emergency situation, you don’t want flooding in your house adding to the stress of the emergency situation.

DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE WATER CUTOFF IS FOR YOUR HOUSE?  Find out if you don't know.

Igloo 70-Quart Ice Cube MaxCold Roller $44.88 (order Walmart):
I had a 150 qt. Ice Chest, no wheels.  It was huge and I couldn’t deal with it by myself.  We used it after hurricanes.  Two people could manage it, but not me by myself.  It was taking up a large amount of room in my laundry room, and I pitched it.  It was not a MaxCold.  A MaxCold is a super insulated Igloo product.  It will keep ice for five days.  It won’t last that long if the chest is outside in the sun.  Mine will be inside after a hurricane or other emergency.  It does have wheels so I can pull it where I want it. 

When power goes out due to hurricane or whatever, one can save frozen items and items out of the fridge such as milk, butter, etc.  I also have an Igloo MaxCold water cooler and there was still ice in it five days after no power.  We always had cold water to drink during that time.  To me, the MaxCold ice chest and water cooler are major needed prep items to keep food/water cold for five or six days, not sure food would be cold after that; the water should still be cool but maybe not cold.  After that, if you can’t get/make ice, they will just be useful containers until ice is available again. 

Shakespeare Two-Piece Ladyfish  Complete Kit Combo $24.27 (Amazon):
Due to certain happenings, I had no fishing gear.  This was upsetting to me since every person should have a way to catch fish.  There is a large lake not far from my house and I had nothing to catch a fish.  That was unacceptable.  I didn’t need the best in fishing gear, but I needed something.  I bought the “Ladyfish” as the handle part of the rod is smaller for a woman’s hand.  It also has some pink on it, so if you are a woman, a man likely wouldn’t want your gear and that is a plus.  There is a filled bait box with it but it is a minor one but has what one needs to catch fish and that was the goal.  The whole thing comes sealed in bubble plastic, and I left it that way and stored it in a closet.  No matter if a man or woman, you need to be able to catch fish.

Disposable Penlite – 1 pack of six, $5.85,  BP Medical Supplies (Amazon):
I read an article by a man who had to live in a war zone with his family.  He spoke of needing “low light” for moving around at night when war was going on in the streets.  I had not thought of this.  Everything I had was bright light.  If you need to move outside your house at night for some reason, say to find something in your backyard, all you need is a bit of light, a pinpoint, to know where you are.  The objective is to have low light so it won’t be seen, or noticed, by others.  He suggested pen lights as one option. 

I bought disposable pen lights that medical people use.  If you used one continually, it would last several months before the battery would die.  A six pack should last years since one wouldn’t be using these all the time.  These also have an eye pupil guide on them.  Medical people use them to check eyes to see if they are reacting correctly.  If you get these on Amazon, be sure it is the BP Medical Supplies company.  There is another company selling these on Amazon and they say it’s 6 pens, but they only send one and you can’t do anything about it.  Many customer comments said they only got one and got no response from that company.  So, only order from BP Medical Supplies. 

When you press the pen clip, the light comes on but doesn’t stay on when you release your finger.  There is a clear plastic sleeve on the pen and if you slip that sleeve under the clip, the light stays on.  If you wanted to conceal your presence as much as possible, just press the clip to see where you are, remove your finger and it goes out, and press it again when you again need to check where you are.

Women’s tactical pants and tactical shirt:
I got these pants because they have several pockets to stash bullets, gun clips, speed loaders, etc.  The front side pockets are large with large openings so you won’t miss the pocket with your hand, and down from that pocket is another large pocket closed with strong Velcro – can you say gun clips, speed loaders, etc..  There is a pocket under each knee to put knee pads (not included) so if you have to stay on your knees, say hide during a “bad” situation going on around you, they are cushioned.  I got them due to the pockets. 

There are numerous types on Amazon and I got 511 New Fit Tactical Pants.  I don’t recommend these as they ride low on the waist.  They are okay for me, but I wish they were at the natural waist instead of low slung.  These are wearable out of the dryer or drying on a line – there are wrinkles but they are not severe.  If you think tactical pants would be good in an emergency situation, look through the various ones on Amazon or on survival companies that sell these and bypass the New Fit 511. 

I also got a tactical shirt for women.  The brand is Magnum but I don’t recommend this shirt.  It is not wash and wear so it is very wrinkled when it comes out of the dryer and it is rather heavy.  It is long sleeved with the ability to roll up the sleeves and snap them to be short.  It has a pocket on each side where bullets or clips could be stored.  It is designed with mesh and gaps for air to circulate to be cooler.  I have ordered a light weight vest to hold gun stuff so any shirt could be worn under it.  I’ll let you know if it works to be the holder of what one would need in a “bad” situation and give you the details at that time.

Baking utensils for Camp Chef outdoor oven (Amazon):
In another article I wrote about getting the Camp Chef outdoor oven.  I read the material about this oven, and it will have an extra hot area where the burners are.  Remember, this oven uses small propane bottles.  Due to the way it heats, don’t use glass baking dishes in this oven as they could crack.  Also, non-stick coating may bake off.  Well, I use a glass 13x9 in my house oven, so had to get metal for this outdoor oven.  My other metal bake pans had non-stick coating.  I searched for the best, heavy (so they wouldn’t buckle), metal pans with no coating on them for this oven – also had to consider the size to make sure it would fit in this oven.  I chose these:

Airbake  by WearEver Ultra Oblong 13x9, $12.99
Chicago Metallic Commercial II Traditional Uncoated Small Jelly Roll Pan, 12 ¼ x 8,  $10.49

Fox Run Set of four English Muffin rings $5.38:
I want to bake biscuits in this oven and don’t want to do the rolling out, cutting, etc., so I got baking rings for drop biscuits.  Drop the dough in these rings and bake them and you have regular looking biscuits.

(not for the oven) Norpro 994C Silicone Egg Pancake Ring Round, Blue $5.61 (Amazon):
Baking rings were new to me and after I chose the rounds for the biscuits, I saw egg and pancake rings.  These are for the top of your stove in a skillet, of course.

These would make a rather spread out egg so smaller rounds might be better for eggs (or not, try them first before deciding and I haven’t done that).  Using these for pancakes would give you pancakes of all one size.  I will use them for pancakes.  With these rounds making all one size pancakes, you wouldn’t freak out when the husband makes the pancakes (if you can get him to use these newfangled devices).  In my experience, husbands tend to “overdo” the size of the pancake – as in LARGE.  If he doesn’t want to use the pancake rings, tell him to hush and cook them – good luck.

I don’t know what is next – I’ll have to ask my brain.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #257 on: September 30, 2012, 07:27:10 PM »
I like the extreme series by coleman for coolers. They have more insulation and keep things colder longer. For the money they are hard to beat. If I was rich I would buy some Yeti's.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #258 on: September 30, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
That's what Igloo MaxCold does - more insulation and stays cold longer.  I also wanted wheels so I could move it around.  With ice and food, it wil be quite heavy.

"If I was rich I would buy some Yeti's. "  What do Yeti's have to do with cold?  Isn't that Star Wars or something?  If you have time, explain to the older generation.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #259 on: September 30, 2012, 08:51:46 PM »
http://www.yeticoolers.com/
Top of the line coolers.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #260 on: September 30, 2012, 09:05:03 PM »
I looked at the Yetis.  They are built as strong as trucks and cost up in the hundreds.  However, none have wheels for us weaker folks.  I guess these are meant for serious strong men.  Thanks for mentioning these as there may be some super men (with plenty of money) who would be interested in these.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #261 on: October 05, 2012, 11:52:14 AM »
RIOTS? AND MORE PREPPING CHOICES

Some think there will be riots election night and/or the day(s) immediately after the presidential election.  There is no way to know who will win the election and what the populace will do after the candidate is elected.  Unless you live under a rock, you have probably heard about and considered this riot possibility.  What should one due to prepare for this possible occurrence?   One suggestion is to fill up your car a few days before election day and have enough of everything you need for several days, maybe a week to be on the safe side.  If you can, stay home the day after the winner is declared and listen to your favorite news station so you will know what is happening around your area and know if it is safe to leave your house.  These suggestions are just allowing for the possibility of unrest among the populace.  I’d rather take a few precautions than find myself in a dangerous situation.

Preps:
I take you along with me as I prep.  You may like some of the purchases I make or you may not.  If an item would make your life better if we had a long term emergency, you have a choice to get that or not.  There are many hot spots in the world today that could impact us, plus there is our economy/banking that is in serious trouble.  I have never seen the US in such trouble in all my long life.  Never have I thought the entire country could fail but now I see it’s more likely to happen than not.  I am more serious about prepping than I have ever been.  Then, there is December 21, when the whole world is supposed to collapse, maybe the poles magnetic pull totally switching.  I think the main risk about this is what some people may do as we approach December 21 and what they do on that date.  Be aware of what is happening where you live as many people are frightened about this date and may act irrationally.

Back to Some Preps to Consider for a Prolonged Emergency:

Clothes:
What is the condition of the clothes you wear around the house?  Is it jeans and a shirt?  Do you have enough if those are not available to buy anymore?  Jeans I wear around the house are really old, so I got three new pair.  Yes, the label says “Made in China”.  If goods from China can’t get here anymore, our lifestyle is going in the dumper.  What a terrible thing to have to say.  Our living style depends on China – that is totally gross but is the truth.  (And, as we found out, if ships can’t get here from foreign countries and that material distributed around the country, we have no medicine.  Too awful to think about.)  Think about your everyday clothes and if you need to add to that, do it while you can.

Shoes:
Are the shoes you wear around the house for working, falling apart?  If they are, consider getting another pair or two.  They are likely made in China.  I wear casual, comfortable SAS shoes since they have narrow sizes.  They are made in San Antonio, Texas – imagine that – not made in China.

The Igloo MaxCold 70 qt. cooler with wheels is here and I’m glad I pitched the huge one I couldn’t move around and it took up too much space.  This new one is a valuable improvement for the next hurricane or whatever.

Rocket Stove:
I got a Rocket Stove from http://www.stovetec.net/us/index.php .  It has been delivered.  All Rocket Stoves are not equal.  I think Rocket Stoves from this company are the top of the line – the best.  A Rocket Stove is a new type stove and is small (but heavy duty) compared to most outdoor stoves.  It is highly efficient, will burn twigs or sticks or any biomass – even sea shells.  Water/any fluid, can be boiled quickly.  I call this the last resort stove because you can find fuel anywhere and it only takes a small amount to last a while as it is designed to totally burn the fuel down to a few ashes at a hot temperature.  This is the finest emergency stove.  If you read about cooking and fuel earlier in these articles, you know I have canned heat and Sterno very small stoves, for use inside a house.  I stick to that as a way to cook inside. 

Outside, this heavy duty Rocket Stove is the best choice when propane or wood logs are gone, or is the main stove to start with if you have no other outside stove.  Think about around your house or apartment.  Do you see twigs anywhere?  That’s efficient fuel for this stove.  I’m wondering if places that deal in wood, such as Lowes or Home Depot, have wood trash around – small pieces of wood left over when they have to cut wood of any kind.  A lumber yard should have trash wood around.  If one could get some of this wood trash, that’s a supply of fuel to have.  Also, there are trees in my townhouse complex and I would bet there are twigs/small limbs on the ground. 

When you read their website, you will read about other biomass fuel one can use.  “Biomass” means don’t put plastic in it.  Only put what nature made so it can be burned completely up down to a few ashes.  A chemical log would not be “biomass” as that is manmade.  The door or doors if you get a two door one, cannot take a large log.  It’s designed for small fuel sources.

Description from their website:
“StoveTec Stoves are perfectly suited for camping, hunting trips, a day at the beach or just to have handy in case of emergency. With a StoveTec Stove you can easily boil water for drinking, cook a stew for dinner or prepare freeze dried meals in case of an emergency all with very little fuel that can be found just about anywhere!  StoveTec Stoves are made of the highest quality materials and are engineered to burn wood or any biomass fuel efficiently and cleanly.  A StoveTec Stove utilizes completely natural fuel sources so there is no need for expensive and potentially dangerous fossil fuels like gasoline, kerosene, propane or lighter fluid.”

There are several models of this stove and there is a video that explains the difference between the models.  The cheapest one is in the 80+ dollar amount.  I got the Eco Ceramic with one door.  If you are interested in this small but heavy last resort stove, watch the video to decide which model is best for you.

Other items are on their way here and I’ll report on them when I get them in the next few days.

Offline Marianne

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #262 on: October 05, 2012, 06:16:08 PM »
Victoria - Do you think the stove could be place in a fireplace and used inside to at least boil water?

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #263 on: October 05, 2012, 06:18:06 PM »
GREAT TACTICAL VEST

5.11 #80008 Poly/Cotton TacLite Pro Vest - Black $37.25  free shipping (Amazon)
(If you get it in Khaki color, it is $68.65)

Naturally, I got black and it came today.  Let’s talk about size:  This is a man’s vest.  I saw size dimensions somewhere, and Medium is a man’s chest size 40 inches.  A male customer said they run small so he suggested get the next size up.  He had to return his for that next size up.

Can we talk?  Women have a bust size.  A woman should measure bust/chest size.  If your size is a 38, getting a 40 chest size, a Medium that runs small (probably a 38), would be snug, maybe snugger than you would want.  This vest is not for show – it’s for storing items relating to your gun – clips if you use those, speed loaders for revolvers if that is your gun.  And extra bullets.  Plus, anything you want for defense – maybe you have a pepper spray unit – I have a pepper spray “gun” – it’s a plastic gun (in pink so it looks like a play gun) that shoots 20 feet with heavy duty pepper spray, plus it has a laser red light to target the face so you don’t miss.  This gun is also going in this vest.  It you have the pepper spray one that goes on a key chain instead of the gun type, put that one in the vest where you can get to it fast.

Based on what I read about size and it running small, I got a Large.  I figured I might have to send a Medium back for being too small to zip it up and have plenty of room to be comfortable, but could probably use the Large (chest size 44) even though it would be too large (running small it is probably more a 42) – I wasn’t going to walk down a model show runway showing off a tight vest, and I wanted plenty of room in the vest for it to be comfortable.  The Large was a good choice.  If you are a larger woman, up to a 42, the Large should fit well.  If your chest is 43 or more, maybe get the Extra Large.

On each side, there are snaps to make it smaller around and I did that – that made it two inches smaller around in the waist/hip area.  For a better fit for me, it could stand another inch  taken off each side in that area, but I don’t care – I’ve got plenty of room which is what I wanted. 

Front Pockets:
On the front, your left side sort of at the top: a zipper pocket – the zippers are heavy duty metal, not plastic.  Under that pocket, two gun clip pockets closing with heavy duty Velcro flaps.  Under that pocket on the side is a space where you can put a gun if you are left handed.
On the front, your right side: a pocket with heavy duty Velcro flap, and under that pocket, a large pocket with heavy duty Velcro flap.  Under that pocket on the side is a  space to put a gun if you are right handed.

The front has a heavy duty metal zipper.  At the top before the zipper starts, there is a heavy duty metal snap.  If you are in a hurry to move, you could snap that closed, which would keep the two sides together, and ignore the zipper.

The Back of the Vest:
There are two splits down the top part of the vest, for ventilation.  Under those splits is a very large, deep, pocket with a heavy duty Velcro flap.  Behind that pocket with the flap, is an open very large pocket.
On either side of that deep pocket are smaller pockets with elastic at the top of those pockets.

Inside the Vest:
Don’t think we are finished – now we go to the inside of the vest:

On your left side, inside the vest is a very large, deep pocket closed with heavy duty Velcro .
Next to that pocket is a strap with a metal snap.  I don’t know what that is for.  It can’t be to take the vest up there as there is no way to do that since it is a vertical strap/snap.

In the center of the inside of the vest, there is a huge, wide pocket closed with a Velcro flap.  Under that huge pocket, there is an open huge pocket the same size as the one on top of it.
Next to that huge pocket is another strap with a metal snap.  Again, I don’t know what that is for.

On the right side inside the vest, there is no pocket.

Let me see if I can explain this:  The vest is made of double fabric, one on top of the other and sewn together.  Where there are pockets, there is a third layer of fabric.  On the inside of the vest there is a Velcro closing on each side.  You can put your hand through one side and go completely through to the other side and come out that side where there is Velcro closing that side.

The vest may be machine washed in cold water with like colors and dried on low heat.

This vest is an excellent buy to hold all your gun needs plus any other defense weapons and supplies.  Once you put on the vest, you have what you need on you.  Unfortunately, it won’t hold a Cold Steel brand self defense bat (looks like a baseball bat but it isn’t).  If you have one of these, maybe put it fairly close to your front door (that’s where mine is).

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #264 on: October 05, 2012, 06:34:24 PM »
Solo in the City, if you had the flu open in the fireplace, yes.  Since you are burning natural products, it's just like burning wood in your fireplace.  I also read the combustion is so high, there is not a huge amount of smoke, however it would need to be in the fireplace because it is using oxygen to burn the wood or other natural fuel and the smoke needs to go up the chimney.

These Rocket Stoves are new and this company is the one who did the research and scientific study to make it work correctly.  These are being used in third world countries now since they heat so hot with little fuel.

After I wrote that article, I went outside in front of my house and it dawned on me I've got massive fuel for the stove right there.  I have huge Azalea bushes and Holly bushes on either side of my house.  These bushes are like hedge because they are so thick.  I saw a small dead branch that had broken off and thought that is fuel for the Rocket Stove.  I broke off a small piece of a live branch and it broke easily.  I looked around and other houses also have hedge but none are as large or thick as mine.  I could walk through the townhouses and have as much fuel as I wanted.  Then, there are other small blooming trees, can't think of the name right now, and those limbs would break off easily , too and they branch close to the ground, are not tall trees.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #265 on: October 05, 2012, 07:37:24 PM »
Solo in the City, you can use the stove to cook anything, not just boil water.  The top is designed to use just like a stove top. 

I did more reading, and large rocket stoves are made to heat a room, putting the big rocket stove next to a fireplace with a pipe going into the fireplace chimney to take the carbon monoxide out.  That carbon monoxide is why you have to put it in your fireplace plus let the small amount of smoke get out.

I wonder where this technology will go in the future.

I just got the rocket stove today and that company is sending them with free shipping right now which is a good thing as I was surprised how heavy it is. 

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #266 on: October 14, 2012, 05:39:56 PM »
Next is short wave radio receiver and new info. on rechargeable batteries.  I’ll finish this by Tuesday for sure.

Offline Marianne

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #267 on: October 15, 2012, 10:00:47 PM »
Just got my RocketTec Stove with free shipping, which was good since the thing is heavy. Haven't used it yet, but I am definitely impressed. It is very well made. Any ideas on cookware to use with it? My small aluminum pots won't work. I am thinking I should get a cast iron skillet, as well as an enamel coffee pot to heat water. Thanks for the heads up! Since I am leery about storing propane or gasoline in my house, this stove is the solution I needed, particularly since I'm surrounded by woods with tons of twigs.   

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #268 on: October 15, 2012, 10:15:30 PM »
I'm glad you wrote at this time.  I am bogged down in writing about new Sanyo rechargeable batteries - deciding what to put in the article as there is so much information.  These new batteries are fantastic, so much better than any before.

The Rocket stove is simply the best answer to an emergency stove outside and inside if you have a fireplace.  I'll use my canned heat and Sterno stoves inside and use the Rocket stove outside.  It will cook much hotter and faster than the canned heat.  I expect I'll use the canned heat for coffee in the morning and for warming food, and the Rocket stove for serious cooking.

Yes, since it burns so hot, I'd use Lodge cast iron - look on Amazon for Lodge.  I got some there last year.  In some year, I got an enamel coffee pot at Walmart in sporting goods.

Thanks for writing and I'm glad you got the stove.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #269 on: October 15, 2012, 10:30:20 PM »
Solo, I know Walmat has Lodge cast iron cookware, but think they will have common pieces that may be larger than you want.  The larger the heavier and if you don't need large pieces, like a big skillet, you will find various sizes on Amazon.  That's why I ordered from there.  I have a smaller size skillet and a smaller pot with lid and the lid fits the skillet, too.  There are combinations like that on Amazon.