Author Topic: "Free" Peach Trees, it actually worked.  (Read 16840 times)

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
Re: "Free" Peach Trees, it actually worked.
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 02:10:49 PM »
I've got to try this.  If anything, just for the education and the 3 young boys in my house will get a great kick out of it.

Man I love this Forum!!!

Offline teton traveler

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 06:37:27 PM »
I have some peach pits that I have been drying for a couple of months now. I guess that I will put them in the back of the fridge.  Most of the stuff that ends up back there eventually is forgotten about and then thrown away, so I might as well use that space for something productive.

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 06:51:38 PM »
even if they aren't the perfect "eatin" peach one would wonder if they could be cooked down to pie filling, or pressed and given the yeast treatment ;)

Offline zackandjen2004

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2010, 03:14:16 PM »
I have two weeping peach trees in the front yard of my new place.  I pulled a bunch of seedlings from the mulch this past summer.  If I get any more this year, I'll pot em up and give 'em away!

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2010, 05:54:47 PM »
So does a weeping peach tree produce peaches or is it strictly ornamental?

Offline johngalt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2010, 07:32:52 PM »
I started a couple of saved plum seeds this year.  Put the whole seeds in a pot with dirt, and set it outside for the winter.  The freeze/thaw cycle should crack the shell and let the seed germinate...in theory at least.  Oh, I covered the pots with wire mesh because the varmints are crazy around here.  As indicated above, at the very least I'll have some rootstock for future grafts.

Also, I am planning on grafting some peach, plum scion wood onto wild cherry trees that are all over the place here.  Word round the campfire is that they should take as they are all in the Prunus genus.  I will be updating in my garden thread.

Offline texican

• Survivor
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2010, 11:45:24 AM »
If I was going to go through all the time and trouble, I'd buy or beg a few peaches from neighbors, so you 'know' where they came from.  Buying peaches in the winter... they probably came from South America, and you don't know if they're hybrid or not.

I've got two peaches in my orchard now that were sprouted from seeds.  Were transplanted from a cousin's orchard.  The seeds sprouted without any human help.  Last year they had small fruit, but we were in a drought during the fruit forming period... if they don't put on bigger fruit, I'll have to graft good wood onto them.

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
Hey I know it works for strawberrys

Last year we harvested the seeds of some strawberrys, froze them for a few weeks and then started them from seed.  Had 20 plants take root.

The plants did well for the rest of the season.  Cant wait to see if they come back this spring!

Offline Movinfr8

• Prepper
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2010, 11:51:47 AM »
Just checked my seeds from last fall. I had put 4 seeds in dirt without cracking, and have one sprout about 3 inches, and one just cracking the shell! I planted one and set it in a window sill, and put the rest back in the kegerator...
Norm

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2010, 04:18:50 AM »
 I tried that a couple years ago and had them start just fine inside in pots. We pick peaches every year for free from a friends farm since he has 4 trees and does nothing with them but mow them over of toss them to the pigs. I dried some pits, cracked them, and had three nice little saplings going, around 6-7" tall. I set them outside on the RR ties around my greens bed to harden up a bit, not knowing my moron neighbor was going to change the tree he had his pygmy goat tied to. Yea....you can guess the rest. No more nice little saplings, just three little 1/2" nubs sticking out of a pot. You have no idea how close I was to having a freezer full of goat meat that day, lol.
 We didn't get any peaches from his place last year since his new GF decided to try canning for the first time. It turns out she hated it and won't attempt peach jam again, so they're all ours. We'll load the truck with bucketfull's to can, (last time was 13 5-gallon buckets!), and try starting some more saplings.
 It should work out better this time since the neighbor no longer has goats.  ::)

Offline zackandjen2004

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2010, 06:21:59 PM »
@fritz_monroe   There were indeed a few peaches (if one could call them that) on the trees.  Never got larger than a small plum.  I pulled the best looking one down and opened it with my hands.  It was 'free stone.' The flesh was tart but edible.  I basically sucked it clean from the fuzzy skin. 

I was out of town last spring, so I didn't get to experience the peaches in bloom.  This year I'll be gone for a couple of weeks in May.  Hopefully I won't miss too much of the show.