Author Topic: Question for the mods: promotional materials and media for the site.  (Read 20965 times)

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
Like many here, I've been referring my friends, family and co-workers to the website.  I've promoted a few of my sites in the past (mostly for work and a few political campaigns), and found that materials like business cards and bumper stickers really help to get the word out.  I would make laminated cards with the URL, logo, and some basic information, with a line on the back "If you liked this site, give this card to a friend".  It's pretty cool when you get your own card back, looking as though it's been held in a hundred wallets, and a casual acquaintance who didn't make the connection between me and the site says "Hey, you've gotta see this site".  Does anything like this exist that users can print out for distribution? If so, where can I get it? If not, would there be any objections to me making some up? When I'm listening at the office and someone asks "what are you listening to" it's easier to hand them a card, and then they remember the site's name.  I'd imagine a lot of people here get asked that question a lot.  Something you can print out saves some time.  What are your thoughts on this, and how would it play with the site's official position on promotion?

Hare of Caerbannog

Here's a thread where this kind of this is discussed and a lot of ideas have been kicked around.
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=117.0

Hope that helps.

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
That helps a lot, Thanks.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
we are considering putting together a monthly newsletter, too. would that be helpful?

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
I would love to see a newsletter.

I took the liberty of making up a sample card, as I may have done a poor job describing it. It's nothing special, but can be printed 8-up on an 8½x11 sheet of card stock, and is in greyscale so it will play nice with B&W laser printers.  Users could download the sheet pdf file, print them and cut out the needed cards.

Click the image to download the full 8-up sheet pdf. (5.6Mb, 8½" x 11" 300 DPI B&W)

It's not much to look at, but these cards can be very effective. 

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
Nice looking card.  Great job (And I love the All Black and White, very catchy).

If you could do a couple 2 or 3 models with a few minor changes. 

I know lots of people who would be interested, but as soon as they see the word "Survivalism" they'd shut down immediately.  Perhaps put in "Personal Preparedness" on one model. 

Might even catch of few of the "Greenies" with a word like "Sustainability" or "Green Living".

Just some minor suggestions.  I'm gonna steel your card by the way, i'm just too lazy busy to do one of my own.  ;D  What format did you build the original in?  Was it PDF or converted to PDF from another format?

Thanks and +1 for the work.

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
I just threw it together in Photoshop. It's all I have in terms of publishing until I get home tonight.  I can work up a few types of cards, but if it directs them to TheSurvivalPodcast.com, eliminating the word survivalism is kind of a moot point. Perhaps a better route would be to describe on the card what it means within the context of the show. Some generic marketing might work well too. I'll see what I can come up with.

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
LOL, I just ran across a picture online that was perfectly suited.  I can take no credit (or blame) for it, but since this topic was fresh in my mind, I had to use the pic. I've often suspected that Somalia was the ass hole of the world, here's proof.

Click for full color 8-up sheet, 300dpi 8½"x11" full bleed w/ cutting guides

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Good job, ILW! :)

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
Not moot, Its semantics, unfortunately some people are not open minded enough to understand survivalism beyond "Gun toting, apocalyptic crack pots"  and no matter how much we know that is not the case, if I can get that person to listen to a podcast or coming to the site before passing that judgment, i'll have a convert.  But if they just toss the card because they see that word, then its all lost.  (And in their mind the site is spoiled and they will never go check it out in the future).

All we need is that tiny grain of interest or spark of curiosity to get someone here.  Once they are here, the site and community does the rest and they will probably be preppers for life.  This place sells itself, Jacks podcasts coupled with the forum community are a hard combination to ignore.  If we can just get someone here, the hard part is done.

PM me and i'll get you my email if your willing to send me the PSD file.  I'll make edits myself for the different types of people I want to pass the card to. 

Thanks again for doing this great piece of work.  Anything we can do to keep this snowball rolling and getting bigger is good for everyone.  (Not just us, but the grasshoppers around us who may benefit from us in a crisis).

Doc

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Question for the mods: promotional materials and media for the site.
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 12:32:45 PM »
Sent you the PM with the PSD file download location.

I understand your point about some people being turned off by the idea when they hear "Survivalist". But since the URL they have to type in contains that word, it seems they would be equally deturred.

I don't agree that people would dismiss it once and then not look later because of a preformed opinion. It takes multiple points of exposure to attract such people.  They may shrug it off the first time, but by being handed the card, they remember it.  When they hear about it again, they're more likely to look into it having remembered that first contact, often in spite of their opinion, just to see what people are talking about.

An effort to make that first point of contact more informative to dispell any preoncieved notions may be more fruitful than simple omission. Perhaps something like this:

As always, click to download the printable sheet

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 01:46:04 PM »
LOL, That third card (with the zombies) is freekin AWESOME.  You have got some talent for sure.

Got to love it.  I'll be downloading it as well.

Your correct, they have to type in the podcast website name, but by the time they reach the browser, the card will have peaked their interest enough to go check it out.  I may be completely off base, but ever little bit helps.  I like the subdued nature of the TheSurvivalPodcast.com you have done on the cards, it breaks it up enough that "Survival" doesn't jump off the page at them and send them scurrying for their late's and big governmetn love pillows. ;D    I think you this is just an  absolutely wonderful set of cards.

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 02:17:58 PM »
Just noticed a typo, I was doing too many things at once (had a customer on the phone when I should have been proof reading).  Here's the link to the corrected sheet for the black cards, which should read "Losing your job" not "losing you job".

The Link:
http://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0ByzQQ0wl4FtSMjNlOTEzY2UtY2ZlNS00YWU1LWI4MWUtNDVjYTE0OTI5ZjY5

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 02:38:57 PM »
This on is kind of bland and boring, but it would be better suited for some uses.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 02:45:23 PM »
(had a customer on the phone when I should have been proof reading). 

How dare you talk to customers while your doing something for TSP.  You should be ashamed.  :P

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 09:57:45 AM »
Nice cards indeed! I have to admit, the midgets are why I joined up with TSP. :ebon:

Offline scoutmaster

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Way to Old to start Over
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 12:52:11 PM »
I have a question? I hope this is the right place to put it.

I have noticed that there are not many pictures posted, Like BOL, or stuff we have built or are working on. Did I miss something ?? Are we not  to be posting stuff like that?? Just wondered, I might have missed the part where it says that
Thanks
SM

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 01:28:51 PM »
You're allowed to post whatever pics you want, as long as they aren't of naked people or something horrible.  ;)

There are actually a lot of pics on the forum, it's just that those threads are kind of scattered.

Offline scoutmaster

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Way to Old to start Over
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 05:53:07 PM »
Thanks, I don't get out of the prep forums much, so I guess I haven't seen them
Thanks Again
SM

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 07:22:41 AM »
Here is another thread where I put a PDF to a basic card I created:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=7006.msg154626#msg154626

Offline fngrlickingood

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 09:37:15 PM »
Insane_Libertarian_Wacko, Really love your ideas and the cards! The zombie one made me smile :)