Author Topic: EDC Pepper Spray  (Read 18310 times)

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
EDC Pepper Spray
« on: April 19, 2011, 07:11:10 PM »
I want to start EDCing pepper spray.  What is the best way to carry some on your person with out looking like Batman wearing a utility belt??  I already carry a cell phone on my belt and sometimes a multi tool.  I worry about pocket carry and accidental discharge in my pants pocket.  How do you guys EDC pepper spray?

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
Re: EDC Pepper Spray
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 07:18:39 PM »
My inside breast pocket of a jacket or vest. If its too warm for a jacket then a side pocket of my cargo pants.

Offline UA8

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 09:46:55 PM »
I usually do the same and stow it in a cargo or if it's cool a jacket pocket.  I wouldn't worry about a AD as long as you have a decent guard on the canister most have to be pushed rather deliberately to spray.  I use the medium sized  (I believe it's the 2oz) of cold steel's inferno.  I fiddle with it all the time in my pockets (bad habit I know bit of a nervous tick) and have never had it release any agent.

Josh

Offline cerakoter

• Prepper
    • www.cerakote.info
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 11:00:43 PM »

Offline Dredrum

• Prepper
  • student of history
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 03:47:24 AM »
any pepper spray is better than no pepper spray..but this stuff is the best

http://www.sabrered.com/servlet/the-SABRE-Red-Pepper-Sprays/Categories

I have sprayed more people than I can remember in my 12 year police career. Sabre Red is by far the best stuff Ive ever used. It flat out lights people up and they dont want to do anything but get away from the spray.

They have a bunch of different containers and ways to carry it.  I carry a 1.8 oz can in my pocket

make sure you get a "stream" nozzle  and not a "cone" nozzle. the stream is more accurate, goes further and is not affected by the wind near as much as a cone is. Helps keep you from getting sprayed along with the bad guy.

Offline leprachuan45

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 12:18:02 PM »
I bought some inferno i carry in my pocket. I was worried about a pocket discharge also. What i've done is leave the plastic that comes over the business end of the spray(for lack of a better term). It's loose enough i can slide it off as i pull it out of my pocket but stays on while its in my pocket. That works for me anyhow.

Offline BumperEagle

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 11:55:05 AM »
Resurrecting this old post.... Nate, what did you end up getting? 

Thinking about getting an EDC pepper spray as well - would be open to a few more options if anyone has additional comments.  I did have a Sabre discharge (2oz I believe) in a daypack last year, and am concerned about accidental discharge.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 12:42:43 PM »
I carry a Sabre Red Pepper Gel.

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 11:10:20 PM »
I have a Kimber Pepper Blaster.  It's a bit bigger than most canister-sized ones, but it's flat and slim, so it fits in a cargo pocket nicely.  Since it's not pressurized, and requires a deliberate trigger pull to set it off (and it has a built-in "safety" trigger guard), I'm not worried about it going off accidentally.  If you're really paranoid, you can get a pocket holster for it to make it even safer to carry.

Offline cfisher

• Fledgling Prepper
  • The Prepared Man
    • The Prepared Man
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 10:13:30 AM »
I carry my Fox pepper spray either in my cargo pocket or in my jacket inside pocket. If I am not wearing cargo pants and it is too warm for a jacket I keep it in the cell phone pocket on my Maxpedition Jumbo Versapack, which gives me easy access even though it is not on my body.

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 02:59:05 PM »
I carry a canister in my vest or jacket whichever is the outermost layer.  They're safetied pretty well so little risk of accidental discharge.  On mine I have to flip up a spring loaded cover to access the "trigger" mechanism.  Sometimes I'll transfer it to my cargo shorts if I'm not wearing a vest.  Definitely a good tool to have. 

Offline threebarracing

• Prepper
    • Hank's Holster Review
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 11:26:49 PM »
I keep it in the same pocket as my car keys (left jacket pocket).  Looks like you are reaching for your keys, if you need it, but keeps my draw hand free in things should escalate.  I have actually used the following product and can say that it works on your adversary, and the blowback is still powerful enough to make you cry, lol!  Do not spray into the wind....... http://amzn.to/1vw0eyH

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 10:51:53 AM »
I also carry the Kimber Pepperblaster.

I've carried it in cargo pants pocket for about 2 years now. No accidental discharges. There is a small plastic piece that prevents the trigger from being pulled, but this piece is easily moved aside with a finger.

It is only 2 shots, but it is chemically propelled, and the form factor is conducive to aiming it.

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 07:46:26 PM »
Anyone tired the Ruger pepper spray that looks like a pager and has a siren and strobe light in it?

I am thinking of this for a girl on a major college campus.  She has a Kimber pepper blaster, but it looks like a gun and she has been hassled before because of this.

FarmerJim

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 09:34:10 PM »
I carry the Keychain style Sabre Red on my dogs leash for those late night walks, out here in California though I'm looking at picking up the 2oz of either Sabre or Inferno for EDC.

Offline InquiringMind

• Survivor
    • Engineer Your World
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 07:18:30 PM »
I've been carrying the Sabre Red with runner hand strap for a little while now. It fits comfortably and inconspicuously in the front pocket of my pants. The runner hand strap makes grabbing it in the proper orientation a breeze, even in a stressful situation.

It has a safety that I'm confident will prevent accidental discharge in my pocket, but is completely intuitive to disengage if you need to deploy the spray. If I were going to put it in a backpack for storage, I might apply a piece of tape for double-precaution.

http://www.amazon.com/SABRE-RED-Pepper-Spray-Protection/dp/B002E6RERU/

Offline Nom

• Prepper
  • PDIT (Permaculture Draftsman in Training)
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 11:58:51 PM »
Sabre is good.

But don't count on spray to end a confrontation, cops train with spray, we did it every year. Take a hit, fight though it, shoot, cuff, defend. Bad guys do it too, they can learn to fight past pepper spray, it's far from perfect.

Offline IronTeaCup

• Survivor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 01:41:34 AM »
I use some saber blue that is a fullsized can around the size of a D batery but it works. It has a good guard around the activator. The size is to much but it ironicly works best with loose fitting shorts. I carry it anytime I am armed because it gives me an alternate to deadly force.

Offline blueyedmule

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 03:33:04 AM »
I've been carrying the Cold Steel Inferno keyring unit for a couple years, no problems with accidental discharge. I added a little string on the end of it that hangs from my pants pocket just enough to yard it out quick, with a loop that just fits over my wrist if I am going in somewhere I don't completely feel safe, like rest area restrooms at 3 am (I work nights as a truck driver). I just slip it over my wrist, slip the container either up my sleeve or palm it, and head in.

Offline Giff Sheriff

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 01:27:01 PM »
I have to disagree with the consensus that Saber Red is the best. To my knowledge saber red is OC which will in fact fail in subduing a drug crazed perp. However SABER is a combination of military CS and CN which is a type of teargas. So in essences you have teargas in a can. This works much better at taking down an assailant or perp, in real life situations.

Hopw that helps? Thanks for reading :)

endurance

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 05:39:11 PM »
Having samples tear gas and pepper spray during my training, I'll take tear gas any day over pepper spray. I don't think the combined effect would be any more dramatic. I'm not a brand advocate. Every pepper spray I've ever used has worked well, but the drug addled jack wagons rarely respond quickly to anything less than losing a quart or two of red stuff.

Offline dep190

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 06:02:28 PM »
As a retired officer i have trained with and used Pepper spray over the years and recently recertified and had to be exposed to Mace brand Spray and found it to be very effective and would encourage you to purchase a can of mace brand which is in Cleveland Ohio! It is a great product and excellent option to CCW.

http://fox8.com/2016/05/24/law-enforcement-trains-with-pepper-spray-in-advance-of-rnc/

http://www.wfmj.com/category/179433/video-landing-page?clipId=12460351&autostart=true

http://www.mace.com/products/mace-brand-families

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 05:13:10 AM »
I 'carry' a hardwood cane as pepper spray has failed me in the past...even TSA lets it through.

Offline RBE17

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2016, 05:07:03 PM »
any pepper spray is better than no pepper spray..

Absolutely!!!  Pepper spray saved my sister in law from being abducted.

Offline dep190

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2016, 07:37:24 PM »