Author Topic: Reloading room  (Read 7363 times)

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
Reloading room
« on: February 14, 2009, 07:30:49 AM »
 I am somewhat interested in reloading, but I don't know if I really have a place to do it or not. My house has no garage or basement. I don't know if I am too comfortable of having all the equipment and supplies inside the house. We don't have much extra room anywhere in the house to set up a reloading bench, plus I have a 2 year old and a younger infant, so safety is a concern. I do have a small tool shed that I plan to start doing some more woodworking in, which is probably my best option, but I am worried about sawdust getting into the reloading equipment. Do you guys think it would be OK to put a small bench out there and maybe cover up bench mounted equipment up with some kind of rubbermaid container or something when woodworking. Also the building is not climate controlled and is SLIGHTLY humid, not very, but it is a small wooden uninsulated building. Is that a big concern ?

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Reloading room
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 09:10:21 AM »
If your production goals are not too ambitious, you could probably have a complete setup that fits in a .50 cal. ammo can.  You would be able to produce high quality reloads, just not in quantity.

With some C-clamps and wingnuts, setup/takedown on your woodworking bench should not be big hassle.

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 10:52:23 AM »
I don't really need to do a lot, maybe just 50-100 45acp rounds a week (probably all just on the weekend), and maybe a few 30/06.

I would probably get a shotshell reloader as well, I think they are somewhat inexpensive.

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 09:42:24 PM »
I have loaded a bunch of 25/06 and 30/06 for a bolt action rifle on a set like this - http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1234672568.3375=/html/catalog/cleeloader.html.  You will want to add a better priming and powder dispensing system.

Pistol rounds need to be fully resized, so a small press may be a better route.

Lee used to make a shotgun shell kit similar to the above rifle set up.  I don't see it on the website but there might be some used ones out there.

Offline Biff

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 11:40:29 AM »
If you go for the shed, don't keep your powder and primers out there - the temperature fluctuations and humidity aren't good for them.  Best to store them separately in the house.  Recommend putting the primers in ammo cans.

Don't forget to consider OPSEC while you're out there in the shed.  Can the neighbors see what you're doing?  Some may wig out.  And you may want to put the components in boxes/containers while you're walking back and forth from the shed, so nosy neighbors can't see what you're doing.

Safety first, but be discreet!

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 11:21:45 PM »
I really appreciate all the great advice from everyone.

Offline bushidorobb

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 01:36:42 PM »
My brother uses an RCBS to reload. He lives in a small apartment and reloads on a desk in his bedroom.
You really do not need much space at all.

mikey67156

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 06:14:39 PM »
I have two buddies who reload with me all the time.  We each have a single stage press bolted to ONE garage sale end table.  So the three of us reload every weekend in about a three foot square.  It really doesn't require too much space. 

Offline OJ

• Survivor
    • Big O Gunleather
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 06:49:27 PM »
I use a Lee Turret Press bolted to a couple pieces of scrap wood, which I then C-clamp to my computer desk.  Supplies are kept in a cheap plastic Wal-Mart special organizer with translucent drawers.

I reload .45, 9mm, .223, .308 and 7.5mm Swiss, and also have dies for .40 S&W and .357 Magnum.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 07:07:52 PM »
C Clamps are your friend. I used to load my stuff on a wooden tv tray. I just mounted my press to a few 2x4s, then C clamped the 2x4s to the top of the tv tray, put my foot on the bottom board of the tray, and started loading. The .243 and .270 was hard to do as the resizing takes some effort, but the 45Colts loaded fine.
I didnt load much in quantity, but at least I could load something.

You could do the same thing to a desk or even the kitchen table as long as you clean up everything VERY well. Lead dust is not good, especially for your little ones. Your old primers will be a health hazard as well.

I have since moved to a bigger house, and have a full blown reloading shop with a built in bench, a Dillon 550, and several shotgun presses. BUT, the tv tray still gets duty as my bullet lubing and sizing station.

DM

Offline product85

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 05:23:19 PM »
from what your ambitions seem to indicate the lee anniversary kit that both myself and jack recommends will serve you well in the beginning and won't hold you back if your hobby grows to a habit. You could store everything in a 18gallon rubbermaid tote if you don't permanently mount your press... you can mount your press to a board or a block of wood and clamp it to a work surface and it would serve you just the same.. best of luck

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »
I spent a good bit of money to get an RCBS Rock Chucker and didn't look back.  But, I had a lot more money at the time and it was a great place to start. I would recommend it to anyone who has the cash.  With that said, now that I have been a reloader for a while, I could have easily gotten away with the Lee Anniversary Kit and been more than happy.

I had a bench in my workshop that I would mount everything to as needed, and then take down and store in a heavy plastic tote.  I mounted my press and powder measure to their own pieces of 2x8 and could attach these to my bench with a C clamp. 

All of that got torn down when I moved, so now my press is mounted to an old barstool that is just the right size to work off of depriming/resizing and belling.  When I am ready to pour powder and seat bullets,  I pull a table next to me, mount my powder measure with a C-clamp, and get to it.  It really doesn't take a lot of space. 

Here are plans for a folding reloading bench:

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2007/08/28/portable-shooting-bench-free-plans/

Offline product85

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 09:23:56 AM »
I spent a good bit of money to get an RCBS Rock Chucker and didn't look back.  But, I had a lot more money at the time and it was a great place to start. I would recommend it to anyone who has the cash.  With that said, now that I have been a reloader for a while, I could have easily gotten away with the Lee Anniversary Kit and been more than happy.

I had a bench in my workshop that I would mount everything to as needed, and then take down and store in a heavy plastic tote.  I mounted my press and powder measure to their own pieces of 2x8 and could attach these to my bench with a C clamp. 

All of that got torn down when I moved, so now my press is mounted to an old barstool that is just the right size to work off of depriming/resizing and belling.  When I am ready to pour powder and seat bullets,  I pull a table next to me, mount my powder measure with a C-clamp, and get to it.  It really doesn't take a lot of space. 

Here are plans for a folding reloading bench:

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2007/08/28/portable-shooting-bench-free-plans/

I have since upgraded to the rockchucker just due to the fact that i load so much and just find the RCBS to be smoother when loading 300 rds in one sit for a single stage press but i have to agree with you on the Lee anniversary kit, if i had to go back to that kit and use it for the rest of my days i wouldn't skip a beat.