Author Topic: Virginia Earthquake  (Read 20951 times)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Re: Virginia Earthquake
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2011, 02:53:59 PM »
Glad you made it through okay, fritz. a 5.9 is fun to joke about, but it's still big enough to get your adrenaline pumping - even if you're a seasoned quake veteran. :)

Goatdog62

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2011, 03:20:53 PM »
I was on the range shooting an M4 when it hit. Almost missed my shot...almost :D

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2011, 04:09:36 PM »
My friends and I have a running bet (also, *waves to goat dog*) that within 48 hours we'll have another magnitude 4 quake or higher within 250 miles of the current epicenter, and within 72-96 hours we'll see some activity in the New Madrid fault network.

Just a sciency heads up - the east coast of the US was formed when three volcanic arcs were pushed ito the previous shoreline several dozen million years ago. Around the time T-Rex was kicking the bucket, the last of these arcs pushed its way up to Smith Mountain Lake. All this folding is why there are coal seams in them thar mountains. Further, we wound up with reprocessed volcanic rock overlying granite and greenstone. The ground is basically a pile of rubble and nice silty stuff on top of a solid-ish continental plate. So, the shallow quake effect has the rather nice tendency to shake the entire eastern seabord since we're all basically a pan of half-baked brownies. We're walking on the brownies, and the quake shakes the pan.

Anyhow, long story short - we should expect the tendency recently for a line of quakes from maine to north carolina to continue to relieve stress this side of the appalachian mountains (which are more of that folded over post-volcanic igneo-sedimentary deposit) while stress builds up on the other side. Similar to the series of quakes that led up to the big Japanese nuclear quake. Not to say we'll have a nuclear quake (although it's interesting that Lake Anna isn't that far away from Mineral VA) or even a huge one, just that we see a high likelihood of a perceptible-to-mildly destructive quake happening between here and New Madrid on a farily sooner rather than later timescale.

Sorry goaty. I know that puts you right in the middle of "aww hell" country.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2011, 05:41:02 PM »
I am not anywhere near there, but I have been listening to my local scanner recently for events around here, like brush fires, so my curiosity was up.

I went to go look for local scanners in Richmond, Virginia and had to work my way further and further away as they were all offline. After 50 tries, I used finally used http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?stid=51 to get me to http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=4927 where all the action was. You can hear the actual responders talking and hearing things you never hear on the news. http://www.radioreference.com is the one I use for my locality.

On the news, alot of people were saying their phones were not working, and I am unsure if that was landline or cells. so my thinking is that telephones, cell phones and the televison is not the way to go for even a "little incident", but the Short wave, Ham radio, Family radio and maybe even homing pigeons are required for when things get really serious.

Remember that local telephone numbers do not always work, but long distance will. Often 911 will also not work locally.

Cedar - also stresses DO NOT STAND IN A DOORWAY, instead lay beside a bed, couch, bathtub ect.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 06:01:03 PM »
We felt it here in Southwest Virginia.

My dog ran under the bed and started growling moments before it hit. I got my usual after quake queasiness, which I often find odd because I don't get either motion sickness or sea sickness. I love theme park rides, air turbulence and chop, and often giggle uncontrollably in those conditions but there's something about earthquakes that unbalances me.

I also got a splitting headache, but could be unrelated.

On the interesting side, my nephew is Autistic and he started wailing on his head in "overload mode" about a minute before the quake. It got so bad his mom had to put the tight hug on him. After the quake he went back into his usual routine.

Offline Kar15

• Prepper
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2011, 06:09:11 PM »
Central Shenandoah Valley approx. 15 mi. East of Harrisonburg.

:), I thought it was my wifes dog scratching it'self against the back of the couch I was sitting on while checking my email after coming in from mowing the lawn, and before I got ready for work.

I felt the couch moving and I yelled at the dog. My wife hollered from the back of the house inquiring why I was yelling at the dog who was right beside her back in the bedroom?

It was about that time that I actully noticed the rumble and I looked up from the computer and noticed the lamp in the living room along with everything else rocking back and forth...

Oops, sorry Dolly(a beagle-redtick mix), for once the naughty hound dog hadn't been a "bad dog"...

K.

Offline nctrees

• Prepper
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2011, 06:57:38 PM »
The updated "intensity map" is out from USGS.  A drastic difference from the one I originally posted:

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2011, 07:28:51 PM »
I was in the office and everyone was saying "you Feel that". I barely felt it. It was like a large truck was out in front of the office giving off a low vibration.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2011, 07:43:18 PM »
not just VA area; Colorado also and when  you look at the IRIS earthquake map you see that there were a large number world wide

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2011, 08:08:35 PM »
A brief note to all of the Californians currently on the east coast sitting in the ballroom, etc., yawning over this quake. Please do remember in California, your buildings are built to survive quakes. On the east coast, not so much!   :o   ::)

;D

Goatdog62

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2011, 08:30:52 PM »

I'm applying for Federal Disaster Relief in the morning.

Offline Freshman Preppy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2011, 09:26:37 PM »
I was teaching in northern VA, in the 'moderate' zone.  Our building shook for about 10-15 seconds.  We all went under our desks.  It felt strong to me.  We just don't get these around here. Lots of crying but that was me.  Kids were pretty brave.  j/j :-)
Made it home surprisingly fast though.  Figured the I95 commute was going to be worse than usual but I guess I was at the beginning of the rush.  A few things fell off some shelves but no damage at all.  Cell phones were spotty but usually got through on the second try.  As a precaution, filled up the vehicles just in case we have another, worse quake.  We've felt 2 aftershocks so far.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Militant Vaxxer
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2011, 09:59:38 PM »
A brief note to all of the Californians currently on the east coast sitting in the ballroom, etc., yawning over this quake. Please do remember in California, your buildings are built to survive quakes. On the east coast, not so much!

Your right, but I'm impressed with this 20+ story hotel I'm at, it did great. Believe me, I wouldn't want that to have been my first quake experience. It was a little unnerving having it happen on the right coast.

Offline NickyTheHeel

• Senior Survivalist
    • Fr33agents (libertarian website)
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2011, 10:26:19 PM »
We're  like Eskimos and snow!

haha Exactly.

Or Forrest Gump with rain....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2ihL_FrFPs

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2011, 05:50:59 AM »

I'm applying for Federal Disaster Relief in the morning.

Ha!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2011, 08:30:44 AM »
+1 Goatdog... that's the spirit.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2011, 08:33:12 AM »
Glad you made it through okay, fritz. a 5.9 is fun to joke about, but it's still big enough to get your adrenaline pumping - even if you're a seasoned quake veteran. :)
Spot on Sis - I didn't feel it here in Central Kentucky though there are reports that some did.  But I have family that is in Richmond, VA and a good friend who you could say was at the Epicenter.

I got a bit jacked by the adrenaline when I heard the news (in TSP Chat - Thanks DanielB and whomever else it was) and was hitting the phones. Took a bit to get through to my family, and was later via another forum I heard from my friend.

Everyone was ok,.. Took me a while to 'calm down' and not just hop in the truck and take off.  Even knowing that everyone was fine and accounted for wasn't quite enough for me.
I am not anywhere near there, but I have been listening to my local scanner recently for events around here, like brush fires, so my curiosity was up.

I went to go look for local scanners in Richmond, Virginia and had to work my way further and further away as they were all offline. After 50 tries, I used finally used http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?stid=51 to get me to http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=4927 where all the action was. You can hear the actual responders talking and hearing things you never hear on the news. http://www.radioreference.com is the one I use for my locality.

On the news, alot of people were saying their phones were not working, and I am unsure if that was landline or cells. so my thinking is that telephones, cell phones and the televison is not the way to go for even a "little incident", but the Short wave, Ham radio, Family radio and maybe even homing pigeons are required for when things get really serious.

Remember that local telephone numbers do not always work, but long distance will. Often 911 will also not work locally.

Cedar - also stresses DO NOT STAND IN A DOORWAY, instead lay beside a bed, couch, bathtub ect.
I called my brother - managed to reach him on his cell phone just minutes after it happened.  I then tried to phone my dad,. phone system was down - he has a land line.  Also tried the Cell, but that didn't work either. Took a while to get over, and when I did it went to voice mail.  Within seconds he was calling me..told me it took him 3 tries to get a line out - on a land line.

Phones are great,.. but they rely on technology that has numerous points of failure - especially VoIP.

A brief note to all of the Californians currently on the east coast sitting in the ballroom, etc., yawning over this quake. Please do remember in California, your buildings are built to survive quakes. On the east coast, not so much!   :o   ::)

;D
I caught a brief moment of news when I got home, they were interviewing Dr. Kaku - I believe I heard him say that if this had hit Manhattan - nothing would be standing, so quite right.. Cali buildings are build to quake standards because this is what they most likely will have - not Hurricanes.  East Coasters have Hurricanes - not so much Earthquakes.

I haven't done a direct check, but North Anna Power plant was reportedly built to survive a 6.2 mag, so they were within 'tolerance'.  I've also heard, but not confirmed that the backup (diesel gen) failed that they had to go to the back up-backup (Battery)...  This is unconfirmed..

Power is back on - having been restored yesterday.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2011, 11:46:11 AM »
I just saw that the Washington Monument was damaged in the quake.  As of right now, it is closed indefinitely.

endurance

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2011, 11:58:11 AM »
I just saw that the Washington Monument was damaged in the quake.  As of right now, it is closed indefinitely.
Anyone else find some kind of sad irony in the fact that the foundation of one of the most recognized symbols of democracy in the world is cracked and on unstable ground?

:'(

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2011, 12:28:59 PM »
Anyone else find some kind of sad irony in the fact that the foundation of one of the most recognized symbols of democracy in the world is cracked and on unstable ground?

:'(
nice irony

Offline Mike Honcho

• Survivor
  • Est. 1974
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2011, 12:57:53 PM »
My house is about 25 miles from Mineral, VA (Orange), we got the brunt of it, but didn't have any visible damage... Interestingly enough I had a bottle of Ol' Skool Strawberry Crush that exploded due to pressure... Somehow the bottle never fell from its shelf and the cap never came off, but about half of the soda ended up on the floor (?)... Strange stuff that I wouldn't believe if I hadn't seen... Anywhoo the pups and wifey are all okay and there was no damage to the house that I can tell... Now to get ready for the hurricane (Que the AC/DC theme music: "I'm rollin' thunder, pouring rain, I''m comin' on like a hurricane..."::)

My friends and I have a running bet (also, *waves to goat dog*) that within 48 hours we'll have another magnitude 4 quake or higher within 250 miles of the current epicenter, and within 72-96 hours we'll see some activity in the New Madrid fault network.

I agree with you on the New Madrid fault theory... On a separate note although it's a little far from the epicenter in VA, but Peru had a 6.8 magnitude earthquake today...

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2011, 01:03:32 PM »

Not sure if you meant aftershocks or not, but overnight there was a 4.2 aftershock.

I'm thinking that you meant a different earthquake.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2011, 01:15:26 PM »
Now to get ready for the hurricane (Que the AC/DC theme music: "I'm rollin' thunder, pouring rain, I''m comin' on like a hurricane..."::)
We'll all be glad when we can sing "Good Night Irene". ;)

Offline Mike Honcho

• Survivor
  • Est. 1974
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2011, 03:03:22 PM »
We'll all be glad when we can sing "Good Night Irene". ;)

oh! Good one SG... +1 for creativity  ;)

Offline Andy in NH

• Senior Survivalist
  • Ex injuria jus non oritur
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2011, 06:57:06 PM »
I just got back from visiting a friend in Fredericksburg, Va.

We were eating in a restaurant after visiting some Civil War battlefields when the quake hit.

None of the ceiling tiles fell down and none of the windows shattered, but plenty of people were yelling and running around.

My buddy (a California native) looks over at me and says, "Pass the ketchup".

After the quaked ended, I was able to get a cell call through to my buddy's house to see if the wives and kids were all OK - they were.

We drove the three miles back to his place and turned on the news.

That evening we made it up to Arlington to see the Sunset Parade without any trouble.

On another note; I was 500 miles from home with my family (four of us total); two suit cases with zero preps (other than my EDC minus handgun), and a rental car.  I did have about $400.00 in cash with me.

My buddy is not a prepper.

If the quake had been larger with commensurate damage, I would have had my work cut out for me trying to keep my family and myself safe and healthy.  Not a good thing!

I've often though about what I could do when traveling like this and getting stuck away from my preps.

One thing I've considered is carrying 1 or 2 oz. of gold (for its high value and low bulk) in my wallet so I could sell it for cash and then buy things that would help my family get back home.  That may mean buying extra gas to drive out of and then around the disaster area to get back home.  It may also mean bugging-in with my buddy and his family and paying for the price-gouged items (if they were available) as we needed them until it was safe to get out of dodge.

This is assuming I can find a place to sell the gold in a disaster area.

For those of you who travel frequently, if you have any other ideas about what to do when when you get stuck away from your preps, I'd like to hear them.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Militant Vaxxer
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2011, 08:31:17 PM »
Like Andy, being on the other side of the country from my preps has made me feel very vulnerable. My wife and family have been laughing their asses off at the irony of my being in DC for the quake when all preps are geared to surviving the Big One back home.  Besides cash and credit cards (which might not be accepted), there's only so much you can bring in a suitcase for an airline flight.  Just one more reason I hate flying anywhere.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2011, 08:50:22 PM »
Like Andy, being on the other side of the country from my preps has made me feel very vulnerable. My wife and family have been laughing their asses off at the irony of my being in DC for the quake when all preps are geared to surviving the Big One back home.  Besides cash and credit cards (which might not be accepted), there's only so much you can bring in a suitcase for an airline flight.  Just one more reason I hate flying anywhere.

cash is always good.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Militant Vaxxer
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2011, 09:07:44 PM »
How much cash do you feel safe with?  Carrying a couple dozen $100 bills makes me nervous, but that's probably what someone would need to buy their way back across the country.

Offline NickyTheHeel

• Senior Survivalist
    • Fr33agents (libertarian website)
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2011, 09:22:55 PM »

I also got a splitting headache, but could be unrelated.

FWIW I never really get headaches during my day-to-day (assuming I have a cup of joe) but I *always* get a headache immediately after a quake, including yesterday's.

It's like a sea sickness thing.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2011, 10:51:24 AM »
I do not know why exactly, but all these stories about Californians yawning while the east coast panics around them is tickling my funny bone to no end.  I cannot stop laughing.
so, I mean, I know you all have earthquakes often enough, but do you really really just yawn and pass the ketchup after a 6.2?  are they that common?  do we just not hear about the numerous quakes that shake things up over there cuz they did no damage to life or property, or do you have this machismo-type thing going on about earthquakes?
We have small shakes occasionally here, but nothing to even do more than mention in passing at church "hey did you feel the earthquake last Tuesday?  yeah, hubby thought someone was walking on the roof."  In college had a friend from Buffalo who was totally freaked at the thought of the earth moving under her feet, and was appalled at my shrug about the topic.  But I have never been in one that toppled anything, even a bottle on a shelf or unbalanced a picture on a frame.