Author Topic: anybody prepping for the hurricane?  (Read 27665 times)

Offline nano.

• Survivalist Mentor
anybody prepping for the hurricane?
« on: August 25, 2011, 11:13:58 AM »
since it's scooting along the east coast and supposed to head up in my neck of the woods (Vermont) anyone picking up any additional preps to ride it out?

Craig

Offline Eriko

• Survivor
  • What one thing did you do today to prep?
Re: anybody prepping for the hurricane?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 01:15:21 PM »
I'm in central NJ, about 5 mile inland from a bay (and up a hill) so not really worried about storm surge etc. I seriously doubt there'd be any evac orders for my town so I will be riding it out, so to speak. We do get some pretty major flooding in the neighboring communities so getting to work is going to be a bear on Monday or Tuesday. (assuming that we have power)
The only extra thing I needed to pick up was a few more Sterno cans for reheating food indoors if we need to. I grabbed those yesterday. Otherwise I'm all stocked up on batteries, flashlights, water, food, first aid etc. Did a walk around the property to see what needs to be picked up, tied down, repaired, or otherwise battened down before Saturday afternoon. I think we're good to go in my household, there's just a list of last minute things to do like make sure the phones, laptop, etc are charged, fill bathtub with water on Saturday, put harnesses on dogs in case we need to move fast......Oh, I did pick up a box of books on freecycle yesterday so I'll have lots of new reading material while we're waiting out the storm.

Did a check on my 82 year old mother in law to make sure she knows where her battery operated lantern is, has more batteries, water, food, etc. She's good to go except for not having her cell phone charged. (she hates that contraption!) Other than that she's pretty well prepared and won't have to face the crowds in the stores and can just do her one day of volunteering at the hospital on Friday before the storm hits. She's making the rounds in the retirement community and making sure her neighbors are prepared. Last time they had a blackout she was the one going around her block with a flashlight making sure all the "old folks" were ok. She's 82 and kicks butt. Pretty darn spry and feisty.
-Eriko

Offline Greg1109

• Prepper
  • Let's get Bendy!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 03:43:37 PM »
I'm going to go to the supermarket tomorrow morning and buy all the milk and bread I can get my hands on. 

Um...   That was sarcasm, in case anyone missed it.   8)

Offline Polar Bear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 05:04:37 PM »
You guys stay safe now.  :)

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 05:41:09 PM »
Yes, i picked up a few extras Wed at Costco. Bought some Juices/extra water/ charcoal/Cpl steaks/extra batteries on sale/ salsa&chips  fueled the trucks. Came home and got out my checklist for things to check/putaway/charge. charging my radios as we speak and charging all the SLA batteries for backup. pulled out the cooler and took the laterns and checked the Liteboxes on charge.

Tomorrow I'll take care of the outside, put the lawn furniture away, move the vehicles into the yard away from the trees button up the shed and see what else i can find

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 06:36:53 PM »
Made my usually Friday stop today at BJs on the way home.
Nobody had told me it was the end of the world. The lines were half way across the store and the carts were piled high.
The guy with 25+ pounds of bananas topping off the cart was beautiful. The news said 3 days of NON-perishable food.
Well, if he eats all those bananas himself  he's all set if the sewer's go out.
I walked right out. I didn't NEED anything.

I'll be bringing in all possible projectiles, making sure the chainsaws are in a convenient location just in case and making sure the gutters are clear.

They are saying there's a good chance we get hit directly, the only question is what category it will be at.

I am on the north shore of Long Island and about a mile from the harbor. But 117 feet above sea level so I should be good.
We had 10" of rain in less than 24 hours last weekend so the wind is the concern. The ground is saturated and we have a lot of big trees.

Offline jasperg357

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 07:02:43 PM »
I am in Georgia looks like the hurricane is going to miss us completely, cant say that I am in any hurry to see a hurricane come ashore in Georgia but it sure would have been nice to have gotten some rain of it. Things are pretty dry here right now.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 09:00:38 PM »
They are saying there's a good chance we get hit directly, the only question is what category it will be at.

Will you put boards up on the south side of your home?

Cedar

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 09:16:05 PM »
Fellow Survivalists,

Hurricane Hugo in 1989 and all of its devastation, even in the NC mountains, was what got me started to practicing Survivalism and Preparedness in earnest.  So, naturally, Hurricane Irene's path to my home State strikes a personal chord and has me double-checking my preps.

I've got pretty much all the food, water, clothing, entertainment, and First Aid provisions I'll need for a fair while.  I went to South Carolina last night and filled the truck gas tank from the half-full minimum to perhaps the fullest it has ever been and added STP Gas Treatment.  ('Course, I make this trip weekly anyway.)

I will be blowing the dust off the CB radio and testing the reception and transmission from my new abode.  I do this at least twice a year and it has so far worked well.  Dynamo-powered Flashights will be in every foom.   All weapons will be cleaned and kept on the ready.

About the only thing I've been looking for but haven't found yet is a good large tree saw to supplement my machete, axe, mitre saw, and hacksaw.  Hopefully, a trip to the pawn shop tomorrow will remedy that.

I may be able to be a disaster profiteer by offering the services of my Dremel Moto-Tool to sharpen sawblades of timber harvesters.   Yessss!

:)

My area of North Carolina has had weather this Summer that has already given dress-rehersal for what may come.  Relatively minor storms and have overflowed storm drains, created car-destroying sinkholes and flash floods in Charlotte and elsewhere, plus small windstorms and mini-tornados have knocked down old, huge trees in bunches.

I hope everyone here will stay safe and that we can bid Irene a much-needed Good Night with minimal damage and no loss of health or life.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 09:53:35 PM »
This doesn't belong in general news, guys. For news on the hurricane, please see this thread: Hurricane Irene. I'm gonna move this one to Emergency Preparations right now though.

Offline nano.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 07:27:36 AM »
The guy with 25+ pounds of bananas topping off the cart was beautiful. The news said 3 days of NON-perishable food.
Well, if he eats all those bananas himself  he's all set if the sewer's go out.
I walked right out. I didn't NEED anything.

huh... never thought of riding out the storm on the crapper, but to each his own!  :o

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 07:34:03 AM »
I'm too far inland to expect much here, but I've got preps for just about any situation, so I shouldn't be caught off guard if we get some strong winds and downed power lines.

i have been urging my family along the Virginia coast to prepare though. Whether they've listened or not, I can't say.

Offline smuglydawg

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 09:32:07 AM »
Saw this article that Wal Mart and Home Depot are ready for the clean up and making sure they have the supplies to sell to the people.

npr.org/news/front/139941596

Knowing What People

Want Walmart's preparedness system helped the company emerge as a hero after Katrina, says Steve Horwitz, an economist at St. Lawrence University in Canton, N.Y., who studied the company's response. "They know exactly what people want after a hurricane," he says. "One of my favorite stories from Katrina is that the most popular food item after a major storm like this is
strawberry Pop-Tarts."

Mmm pop tarts maybe a new surival prep to stock up on.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 09:33:43 AM »
I am telling you. Strawberry Pop Tarts are the answer to almost every problem on the planet. I freaking love those things. ;D

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 09:38:15 AM »
I put Pop Tarts, granola bars and peanut butter crackers in plastic school pencil boxes so they won't get crushed in the BOB/GHB. Pencil boxes are cheap right now in the school supply section of the store.

Offline hanzel

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Prepper Living
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 09:58:05 AM »
since it's scooting along the east coast and supposed to head up in my neck of the woods (Vermont) anyone picking up any additional preps to ride it out?

Craig

Living on the Texas coast all my life your subject line is almost funny.  Here we do not prepare in case of a hurricane, we know there will be hurricanes right along with a sun rise tomm. and the Dow dropping anytime Obama speaks :)  When I first married my wife, she was not from the area and had no experience in the storms.  She could not understand for the first few years why I got supplies every year.  Then a big one hit ( Ike ) and we went without power for 2 weeks and she started understanding.  If you are not ready for the storm yet, then it is mostly to late.  If however you have a normal stock of supplies to live on, then other than hot you will do fine.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 10:05:25 AM »
I'm going to go to the supermarket tomorrow morning and buy all the milk and bread I can get my hands on. 
Sorry but I beat you to it. ;D

Offline Clybrad

• Survivor
    • Skilled Gentlemen Podcast
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 10:07:10 AM »
That was absolutly histerical about the bananas. I might have to go to Walmart and and take pictures of the people acting like sheep. That would be a good reply and good reasurement on why we are survivalists.

Offline marauder

• Survivor
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 11:06:07 AM »
Banana bread...think outside the box people...

I'm pretty much set for your garden variety storm. However, I did go out looking for some stuff for the in-laws. My kingdom for a gas can over 1.25 gal capacity. Couldn't find a single one at any HD, Lowes, Wal-Mart or auto parts store with a 20 miles radius of my home. And I am in Northern Jersey...we're talking about 30ish stores. Gave my FIL 8gal of gas and told to run his generator VERY JUDICIOUSLY if it comes to it...that leaves me with 25ish gal, but we have two kids under 4, so we win out :)

I was in Campmor which is in Paramus, NJ. I used to work there back in HS days. 35+ people lined up outside the door prior to opening. They sold 2 PALLETS of Coleman LED lanterns and 100+ cases of D batteries in under 20 minutes.

Everybody stay safe...have some final yard things to do and am still working one handed due to stupid knife accident last Sunday...ugh...

Offline Eriko

• Survivor
  • What one thing did you do today to prep?
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 01:30:33 PM »
I was in Campmor which is in Paramus, NJ. I used to work there back in HS days. 35+ people lined up outside the door prior to opening. They sold 2 PALLETS of Coleman LED lanterns and 100+ cases of D batteries in under 20 minutes.
Everybody stay safe...have some final yard things to do and am still working one handed due to stupid knife accident last Sunday...ugh...
I working one footed right now as I slammed my toe in to wrought iron bed frame and broke it this morning. *grumble*

I'm feeling pretty good about my preps - not cocky, I'm sure I could have done better - but all the bases are covered. I'd be completely calm right now if not for the worrying behavior/attitude around me. A co worker said today "what storm?" I almost fainted. Another co worker said "oh, I'm going to the grocery store after work, think it'll be crowded?" My husbands co workers are angry that their boss isn't *giving* them batteries and flashlights and water out of their warehouse stock. They sell it at cost to employees but people are mad that it's not free. Literally "you don't care about your employees!" Ugh. Terrible.
Be safe everyone, hang in there "One Handed" Marauder! (waving at you with my 2 hands from central NJ)
-Eriko

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 01:32:49 PM »
As Jack has mentioned several times on the podcast, don't prep for specific events.

But we are going about our daily activities.  Friday is my wife's normal shopping day.  Every week, we pick up 4 of those 2.5 gallon water jugs.  Today she picked up the last 2 in the store.  She got there at 8:15, the store opened at 8.

She said that 2 old ladies were stalking her the rest of the time she was in the store.  She thinks they were waiting for her to leave her cart so they could swipe the jugs.

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 01:45:21 PM »
On the news I saw a sign as the hurricane was advancing that read "start preparing now".

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 03:28:51 PM »
I made the ultimate prep and got the hell out of DC and back to the west coast before the airlines shut down.  I got lucky with the earthquake, I'm not taking any chances with Irene.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 03:55:24 PM »
NYC Starts MANDATORY EVACUATION Of All New Yorkers In Zone A

"Mayor Bloomberg said the city would start a mandatory evacuation of residents in Zone A areas—this includes Brooklyn's Coney Island and Manhattan Beach, Far Rockaway and Broad Channel in Queens, South Beach, Midland Beach, and other low-lying areas on Staten Island, and Manhattan's Battery Park City (see map below). He admitted, "We've never done a mandatory evacuation before. But this is a serious storm. We need to prepare for the worst and hope for the best," and warned, "This is very serious. Do not be fooled by the sun outside."

endurance

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 04:08:29 PM »
I made the ultimate prep and got the hell out of DC and back to the west coast before the airlines shut down.  I got lucky with the earthquake, I'm not taking any chances with Irene.
Glad to hear it.  Glad you made it home safely.  Being stuck away from your preps in a disaster is the worst feeling.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 04:26:48 PM »
Glad to hear it.  Glad you made it home safely.  Being stuck away from your preps in a disaster is the worst feeling.

Thanks.  Regardless of where it is, there's no place like home, it's where your preps and people (and dogs) are.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2011, 05:07:42 PM »
Hope everyone is ready to close the hatch tomorrow and ride it out. NWS is warning of 21-24+ hours of Tropical Storm conditions and some places Hurricane conditions for a few hours on top of that. Power outages are almost a certainty with durations of several days.

i'm glad I got what i needed /wanted wed, The stores were picked clean today I hope my fellow members are ok down south and tri-state members are ready and think of your safety first

See you on the other side ;)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2011, 05:43:45 PM »
If anyone is interested, this is the 1938 storm which is what Irene seems to be echoing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA-3zULhCvM

Cedar

Offline Kar15

• Prepper
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2011, 06:45:48 PM »
I posted a whole thread about it, but the Emergency Preparedness Coordinator(he's a nice guy but a bit of a joke as to him, his position is a job not a lifestyle like it has become to many of us) sent this out today...

http://www.iaem.com/documents/SusanneSimmons-HurricaneGuide.pdf

As I said in my post it's a great effort on the part of SVPI but a bit little a bit late on our Coordinators part...

I'll be working all weekend and won't even get to sit on the couch and watch the shenanigans of the stampeeding sheep on tv while eating popcorn... :'(

K.

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2011, 06:50:23 PM »
"Most probably, the biggest demand right now is for generators, obviously," http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/26/us-retail-hurricane-idUSTRE77P4HK20110826

Watch craigslist next week after the storm is over for generators.