Author Topic: anybody prepping for the hurricane?  (Read 27913 times)

Offline marauder

• Survivor
Re: anybody prepping for the hurricane?
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2011, 07:33:47 PM »
I get the notion of not "prepping for a specific event." But I will disagree slightly when an acute weather event is forecasted and has a pretty much 100% probability of affecting my arse in some way. One perfect example as it relates to Irene. I bought my house from the only person whose family ever lived in it. basement never had water in 90+ years. A few years ago we had one of those "100 year storm events" and we got some water coming in through our bulkhead door. Now, I would have very little reason to prep sand bags and sand...I've lived here 10 years and have gotten water once. The house is 90 years old and has gotten water once. however, I would be stoooopid to not have picked up a dozen sand bags and a few hundred pounds of sand with 10-12 INCHES OF RAIN forecast for my 'hood. And I did just that, after trips to about a dozen stores...

Jack's position of not prepping for a single event is more of a philosophical stance--ie: don't prep JUST for a EMP or a terror attack or a pandemic or a job loss. Prep generally, but thoroughly, and you can ride out most anything that comes your way. However, if you KNOW an ice storm is coming, you have to have a screw loose to not up certain preps that relate to dealing with an ice storm, as an example.

Offline Rookinde

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2011, 08:05:07 PM »
Well I am coming to you from the northern Delaware. We are ready to sit back and watch the storm. My wife and I are taking time to go to stores and just be amazed at the people that have no idea what they are doing. They are just buy stuff because... the news tells them too. I plan to try give updates and log key information in my preps if there holes lacking.

I can say this though... I have gotten through to my sister about prepping she was telling me her plans for the storm and I was impressed with what she was doing. Now if I can get her to start to listen to the podcast.

Hollis

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2011, 12:09:34 AM »
+1 Marauder and +1Rookinde.

Agreed, even if you have body armor, you get behind cover if you know you are in the cross hairs.  Same goes with specific threats.  You prepare generally and also for those specifically.

I actually like going to the stores the day or so before a predicted event is due to hit.  It is at my own peril, so I take great care to stay out of the way.  It just gives me a laugh (in a gallows humor sort of way) to see some of the unbelievably useless stuff people buy.  For example, 10 cases of beer but not a single drop of water.  10 bags of potato chips, but not a loaf of bread or a package of bologna.  Oh well, I guess if you are drunk enough, it just doesn't matter to you what is going on.  I think I will opt for a different plan myself.

Congrats on starting to bring your sister around.  I hope you meet with great success.

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2011, 08:43:34 AM »
And Fellow Survivalists,

Let's be a little optimistic.  Perhaps the man with the 25 lbs of bananas had a dehydrator and is making trail mix en masse.

;D

And the person with 10 cases of beer could be acquiring barter currency for chainsaw crews doing yard clean-up.

And, of course, when you are in a store and making idle conversation,  it is an opportunity to drop these ideas as helpful suggestions.

Although I see a non-stop procession of sheeple in my cashier job,  I also give hearty encouragement and relate personal experience when someone buys dynamo-powered lights, power inverters, Uninterruptible Power Supplies, vacuum sealers, LED lanterns,  NOAA Weather Radios, camping supplies,  or bulk ammo.  (Yay, modern man stuff!)

While it is only urban legend that the Chinese character for "crisis" is the same as "opportunity," it is nevertheless true that crisis can become an opportunity in a good way.  Keep watching your six and keep your powder (and other provisions)  dry!

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2011, 09:24:15 AM »
Opportunity yes.

Cheap, hardly used generators on sale this week.

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2011, 09:36:52 AM »
Greetings, LICountryBoy,

Yep, I just can't wait!   I'll be watching the yard sales and Craigslist in giddy anticipation!

8)

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2011, 09:56:17 AM »
Fellow Survivalists,

Yet another consideration when you see a customer with a big cart full of soft drinks, candy, chips, and snacks:  The person could very well be a local convenience store operator or restaurant owner. (You can tell they are a store owner or restauranteur when they show their tax-exempt reseller's license--assuming your State has a sales tax.)

Really, when you think about it, the convenience store operator and restauranteur are the ultimate disaster profiteers and can be quite saavy in this.  Not sheeple at all.  Nice work if you can get it (and you are armed, of course.)

Offline hd45hunt

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2011, 06:37:39 PM »
Watch craigslist next week after the storm is over for generators.

That's my plan..  ;D  Butter was on sale last week, so I think if the power goes out, I'll can some butter and I do have 1 partial mash Belgian Golden Ale beer kit that needs making.  Gonna treat it as a little prep test considering it's not below freezing.... ;)

Offline nano.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2011, 06:52:41 PM »
today i spent a couple of hours checking out different stores in the area to see what people were buying and what was sold out and here is what I found:

AAA & AA batteries aplenty, pretty low on C and no D cell to be found anywhere.

Flashlights at the local Dick's all sold out. The shelves were completely full of headlamps (do people not realize what these are?)

Camp stoves of all types sold out. A few of those crappy little coleman ones left that use the sterno cans.

Plenty of coleman gas cylinders to be found at Dick's also.

I witnessed people picking up maybe a 24pack of bottled water (12oz.) but not much more. If we lose power for more then a couple of days up here due to power lines being down, that's not going to be alot to tide them over.

A few people I talked with at work I mentioned filling the bathtub with water. They never even thought of it.

All in all, if it turns out to be a decent whammer of a storm, alot of people are going to have a tough few days...

I'm gonna sit around tomorrow and have a few cold ones myself!  ;)

Offline hd45hunt

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2011, 07:05:55 PM »
Just remembered to put my Sonicare on its charger too.  Just in case  ;)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2011, 08:02:23 PM »
One thing that I did do for this storm is filled up some buckets and carboys with water.  I have an additional 40-50 gallons of water in the basement in case we lose power.  We will still be able to flush the toilets.  We always keep a a week's worth of water in the form of those 2.5 gallon jugs, but since we are on well, if we lose power, we can't flush.  Twenty gallons of that water is in carboys that I usually use to brew beer, so if need be, we can drink it.  But the main purpose is for flushing.

Oh I forgot.  My wife filled up several big pots with water.  A couple of this week's meals include pasta.  We can easily boil up pasta on the camp stove, but she wanted to make sure we had "good" water to cook it in.  This is a pretty big step since she's not really of the preparedness mind set.  She is on board with it, but the steps that need taken don't come to mind for her easily.  I usually have to suggest some things that she can do to prepare.  She took this upon herself.

Offline Isailli

• Prepper
    • Greatest skills
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2011, 10:35:42 PM »
got 2 generators today this of coarse will guarantee the power will not go out. I also had a questionable oak tree taken down a few days ago probably going to replace it with something that produces and not let it get too big like that oak. Not storm related but I am also planning on building a rocket mass heater in a bay window/window seat area and will burn the oak tree in that once it seasons.

Offline Rookinde

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2011, 07:18:53 AM »
A lot of rain and some wind.. but nothing else. Didn't even see the lights flicker at all.

Rook

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2011, 10:57:26 AM »
A lot of rain and some wind.. but nothing else. Didn't even see the lights flicker at all.

Rook

That's what I like to hear! Very, very glad you and yours are safe, rook. :)

Offline nano.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2011, 12:15:53 PM »
2:14PM Sunday... so far, so good. Been raining up here in VT since I got up this morning, but no wind to speak of.

The storm is supposed to be at it's peak in the next 4-6 hours....

Hope everyone else south of me faired well....

Craig

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2011, 12:30:54 PM »
2:14PM Sunday... so far, so good. Been raining up here in VT since I got up this morning, but no wind to speak of.

The storm is supposed to be at it's peak in the next 4-6 hours....

Hope everyone else south of me faired well....

Craig

That's great news, Craig! Glad you're okay!

I checked the Member Map a few days ago, and saw about 50 people who have shared their state and general regional location on the member map who will be (or have been) affected by the hurricane. I look forward to hearing from all of you that you're okay!

Offline hd45hunt

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2011, 01:21:21 PM »
Tons of rain, some wind and lost power from 9:30a-2:30p.  Used the opportunity to take a nap, then opened all curtains and read a book.  Radar shows it past my area now and basement is still dry.  Hope everyone made out as well.  Patiently awaiting "barely used" generators on Craigslist. ;)

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2011, 02:27:34 PM »
We had about 6" rain and wind. Lots of trees and big branches down in the area. Still some pretty big gusts going on. The water down on the harbor receded fairly quickly.
We had a rain storm a couple of weeks ago where we got 11" of rain in less time than this storm less wind and some hail.
Lost power twice. Once when a transformer blew, it was back in a couple of minutes and again for about half an hour early.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2011, 06:00:09 PM »
We had about 6" rain and wind. Lots of trees and big branches down in the area. Still some pretty big gusts going on. The water down on the harbor receded fairly quickly.
We had a rain storm a couple of weeks ago where we got 11" of rain in less time than this storm less wind and some hail.
Lost power twice. Once when a transformer blew, it was back in a couple of minutes and again for about half an hour early.

ELEVEN inches of rain?! HOLY COW! That's... that's... inconceivable!

Seriously, I cannot imagine what 11" of rain would do to ANY part of California. It would completely destroy most of the coastal regions and the desert would be a big lake if that happened here.

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2011, 06:34:35 PM »
I'm saying a prayer for those in harms way. In one aspect I have used the hurricane as a wake-up call to prep for natural disasters that pose a threat in my area.

Offline Nj_m715

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2011, 06:59:31 PM »
We went out to snatch up some 1/2 price pasta that was on sale this week. Here's the bottled water isle at our local store in NJ. No batteries, flashlights, gensets, fuel cans or water pumps of any kind to be found.

We got a lot of funny looks when we got in line with only pasta. No milk, chips, TP or non-electric can openers.

Offline marauder

• Survivor
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2011, 07:54:33 PM »
That's great news, Craig! Glad you're okay!

I checked the Member Map a few days ago, and saw about 50 people who have shared their state and general regional location on the member map who will be (or have been) affected by the hurricane. I look forward to hearing from all of you that you're okay!

Checking in from Northern NJ. Made it through 100% unscathed. No loss of power. No trees down on the property. No water in the basement. actually enjoying the night with no Air Conditioning due to the residual breezes and temp drop.

Much of New Jersey was not that lucky. More than 500,000 people are without power and many low lying areas have never seen before levels of flooding.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2011, 05:01:42 AM »

Rook
Wish I could say the same.  We lost power for just over 24 hours.  Our fridge food is fine, we did the cooler and ice thing.  The deep freeze warmed up a little, but never got close to thawing.

I have been putting off getting a generator.  Mainly because I don't have my shed built yet.  This storm made sure that I won't be without next time around.  I'll be picking up one next week or so.  I'll keep an eye out for the open boxes that I'm sure will be flooding the home improvement stores.

Offline marauder

• Survivor
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2011, 05:18:30 AM »
I was at a Home Depot on Friday  morning looking for a few gas cans. There were about 10 of us in line before the store opened. The delivery truck was coming with 5 generators on it. 7 people in  line wanted a generator. Guy # 6 offered Guy # 5 $2,200 for a $1,200 Rigid generator. It was interesting to observe the exercise in bartering. #5 eventually declined, as he had an infant at home and he was ultimately concerned about having a few lights and a window unit A/C in case temps spiked. 

endurance

« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2011, 11:09:05 AM »
Round two, anyone?

TD12 is looking mighty familiar at this early stage.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2011, 10:42:12 AM »
She's strengthened into a tropical storm.  Now named Katia.

endurance

« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2011, 10:45:50 AM »
She's strengthened into a tropical storm.  Now named Katia.
and is predicted to strengthen to a cat 3 in the next 96 hours.  Lets hope it follows the models that are pointing north into the Atlantic and not west into NC again.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2011, 10:59:09 AM »
So, where did you find the info about the outlook in 96 hours?  I've never really paid much attention to hurricanes, and have never poked around that site.

endurance

« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2011, 11:05:03 AM »
So, where did you find the info about the outlook in 96 hours?  I've never really paid much attention to hurricanes, and have never poked around that site.
The official source is the national hurricane center but navigation is kind of a pain there to get all the tools.  A lot of time I just use wunderground as they simplify things and give you things in a much more user friendly format from essentially the same sources.  I like looking at the different models that wunderground provides vs. just publishing the concensus (which is generally where the NHC bases their predictions).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 11:55:39 AM by Sister Wolf »

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2011, 12:06:17 PM »
Ok, I'm pretty familiar with wunderground.  I'll start watching it.