Author Topic: anybody prepping for the hurricane?  (Read 27912 times)

Offline nano.

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: anybody prepping for the hurricane?
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2011, 01:25:18 PM »
hrmph... I hope that other tropical storm doesn't head to BDA.... I'm heading there for a week of R&R on Thursday....

If so, oh well... I'd just hate to have to call work and tell them i'm going to be a few days late getting back cuz of the storm  ::)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2011, 05:26:15 PM »
 :popcorn:

just another yawn for the media.  seriously, as hyped as Irene was, some grasshopper is going to say "yeah right.  that is what they said last time.  not doing anything."

remember the boy who cried wolf?

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2011, 05:45:49 PM »
:popcorn:

just another yawn for the media.  seriously, as hyped as Irene was, some grasshopper is going to say "yeah right.  that is what they said last time.  not doing anything."

remember the boy who cried wolf?

Yep, now the national news and the government folks in NY are trying to blame the National Hurricane Center for Irene not destroying their towns and state.  I would think they would be happy that they still have a place to sleep and they don't have to use up their preps?  Go figure...

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2011, 07:31:03 AM »
Fellow Survivalists,

I'm not sure how even a Grasshopper could nod back to sleep and call Hurricane Irene hype, considering that 40 people lost their lives and towns are cut off by flooded roads and downed bridges:

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=14409933

If a mild hurricane could do all that, just imagine the effects if it were larger.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2011, 07:49:47 AM »
Fellow Survivalists,

I'm not sure how even a Grasshopper could nod back to sleep and call Hurricane Irene hype, considering that 40 people lost their lives and towns are cut off by flooded roads and downed bridges:

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=14409933

If a mild hurricane could do all that, just imagine the effects if it were larger.

yes, but it was only bad in some areas.  the big hype and evacuation orders in NYC and NJ resulted in a lot of panic there, and very little damage per the hype given.  I mean, the media portrayed this as Katrina hitting the north east.  yes, 40 people lost lives, yes there are some areas MASSIVELY effected.  but for the most part, for the majority of people in the "hyped" zone, it was a wash.
For this, I blame the media.  they hyped this to Katrina levels.  and the local officials played along, not wanting the Nagin stigma attached to them.  I could see the grasshoppers in the undamaged, non problem areas saying "yeah, right, that is what they said last time."  Now if the media had said, responsibly, "this could be bad; it could be katrina level, but probably won't be" (because honestly, the problems with Katrina was not the hurricane itself, but the sub-par dykes that broke, combined with the welfare attitude of the people: "well, the gov't will fix everything immediately; I don't have to do anything for myself")

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2011, 09:58:38 AM »
(because honestly, the problems with Katrina was not the hurricane itself, but the sub-par dykes that broke, combined with the welfare attitude of the people: "well, the gov't will fix everything immediately; I don't have to do anything for myself")

Yikes!  I'm sure you mean dikes, right?

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2011, 11:45:51 AM »
Yikes!  I'm sure you mean dikes, right?

:-[  yeah... that.   :-[

um wait, looks like it has two accepted spellings for all meanings of the word:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyke

although merriam-webster separates the two meanings into two spellings:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dyke
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dike

so, do we go with m-w or wiki?  looks like historically, "dyke" was an accepted term for earthwork: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offa%27s_Dyke  but then, so is "dike": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots%27_Dike

so based on all this, I am going to go with the spelling is interchangeable, and I am no longer embarrassed.   ;D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 11:56:02 AM by Morning Sunshine »

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2011, 04:12:49 PM »
Sorry, I couldn't resist...the wonderfully nuanced, ever changing, English language.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2011, 06:45:49 PM »
actually, because I am curious like this, I have continued to research the issue, because the m-w is THE dictionary for American English, and well, they are definitive on this, but it seems ambiguous.  according to this site: http://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/7141005781 "dyke" is the British/Aussie spelling, and "dike" is the American/Canadian spelling for an earthwork formation.

Then I look at Offa's Dike and Offa's Dyke and wonder... nope, nope, I don't wonder now that I've typed them. Offa's Dyke looks far more familiar.
see, I would have to agree with this Londoners' opinion that "Offa's Dyke" looks more right to me.  maybe I just read more British literature.  it would not be the first time I have taken to spelling words like I was from the other side of the pond, although American born, bred and educated.

however, since I am in the States, I should probably take to spelling it with an "i" so as to avoid future confusion, and possible (unintentional) insult to American folks who are not quite as literate* as I.

*Having or showing education or knowledge, typically in a specified area
or, also:
versed in literature; dealing with literature
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=active&client=firefox-a&hs=TMw&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=literate&tbs=dfn:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=SNVeTs_aMoPKiALHuLWzBQ&ved=0CCMQkQ4)

Offline marauder

• Survivor
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2011, 07:54:43 PM »
Reporting from the front lines, there ain't no hype about this in Jersey.  New Jersey has been DEVASTATED by this storm. NYC *escaped* compared to the media projections going in, but not NJ. 

NJ, the Hudson Valley or NY state and Vermont are on equal footing with the Outer Banks of North Carolina as far as destruction goes.

There are people STILL being rescued by police, fire and search and rescue under 5 miles from where I am typing this. A very good friend of mine had 12 feet of water in his house.

As for Katia, total fish storm. Very low probability it makes landfall.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2011, 08:54:37 PM »
I am a catastrophe property adjuster and I can tell you after almost half a week of 15 hour days, Irene was no Hype. I feel very sorry for these people.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2011, 09:22:20 PM »
Katia's a hurricane now (the as-yet-to-hit-landfall "fish storm" as marauder put it).

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2011, 06:03:48 AM »
Reporting from the front lines, there ain't no hype about this in Jersey.  New Jersey has been DEVASTATED by this storm. NYC *escaped* compared to the media projections going in, but not NJ. 

NJ, the Hudson Valley or NY state and Vermont are on equal footing with the Outer Banks of North Carolina as far as destruction goes.

There are people STILL being rescued by police, fire and search and rescue under 5 miles from where I am typing this. A very good friend of mine had 12 feet of water in his house.

thank you.  I stand corrected, and I apologize for saying otherwise.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2011, 06:51:13 AM »
You folks in the gulf states keep an eye out on the storm forming out there. It is currently forecasted at a 70% chance of forming into a Tropical Cyclone.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2011, 07:16:39 AM »
You folks in the gulf states keep an eye out on the storm forming out there. It is currently forecasted at a 70% chance of forming into a Tropical Cyclone.
Oh yeah, we're watching this one.  It won't have time to build into a monster, but an oak limb from a tropical storm will kill you as fast as one from a Cat 5.  Nothing to play around with!

Offline marauder

• Survivor
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2011, 08:17:13 AM »
thank you.  I stand corrected, and I apologize for saying otherwise.

No need to apologize...we're all on the same team here  :D

just wanted to clarify, as I know it isn't always feasible or easy to get reliable local news information on other parts of the country.

And part of what you initially posted is probably true. Lots of people who got off easy are very likely puffing their chests. but the actual reality on the ground is that this storm left destruction not seen in NJ, maybe ever.

Sis,

Katia is total fish storm...heard it here first... 8)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2011, 12:31:41 PM »
Sis,

Katia is total fish storm...heard it here first... 8)

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping you're right. The last thing you Easterners need is a cat3 (or bigger) hitting landfall.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2011, 01:42:41 PM »
Marauder hit the nail on the head for Jersey Ny state and Conn got less storm but many are still without power in Conn and lots of North Jersey is still under water and major Highways are still impassable. Jersey gets floods but thses are record setting floods in parts that are used to it

i lost power for about 28 hours total some water in my basement but i was prepared for it. without out power i just opened the drains and it never got over an inch high, some of my neighbors were not so lucky one had over 4 feet of water and a cpl had sewer backups in theirs. My neighbor with the totally flooded basement also lost his electrical service to his house when his tree let go and ripped it off the house.

A little side story about that and why i love my Streamlight E-Spot and E-Flood liteboxes. It was about 2am i was still up and the storm was at almost full blast here, winds were about 40-60 with some long strong gusts. I was watching TV and heard that nice tree start cracking and then hit the street. went to the front door and saw it down as i went to grab my light the power went out, so i turned the lanterns on and moved my scanners so i could hear them. i heard the radio call for the downed tree and as the radio car came down the block he had his spotlight on looking for the tree/wires. i was standing on my porch and lit him up with the E-spot and then lit the tree/ wires so he could see it. The radio car was 350-400 feet from me in driving rain and the tree was about 150 on the opposite side from me. He saw it and stopped in front of my house to place flares and ask "what the hell light was that" because it looks like the light the FD has but it sure as shit isn't as bright. i told him and said you can just by the head and change it like i did for 60$. 20mins later 4 firemen pull up to shut some neighbors gas and power off because of the flooding, they didn't even have a maglight on them only their helmet mounted lights so I gave them my E-Spot and told them to use it till their done, they came back an hour later grateful for its use. i saw most of my neighbors checking their gennys with flashlights I saw on the Santa Maria quite a few were interested in something of quality after this storm and after they used my Surefires, even the 12$ Duracell Daylite I picked up last week at Costco was pretty darn good for emergencys. it came with C batteries and was bright, Im glad i bought as a loaner because it got loaned out more than the mensroom key at Octoberfest

Offline marauder

• Survivor
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2011, 01:46:46 PM »
I'm crossing my fingers and hoping you're right. The last thing you Easterners need is a cat3 (or bigger) hitting landfall.

Amen to that...

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2011, 08:33:54 AM »
Greetings, Morning Sunshine,

It's all good on the spelling.  Regardless of the spelling or the meaning of the term, a hurricane will break and destroy just the same.   No joke.

I would think that anyone who would take offense to the spelling of the term needs to put life and safety before teen-boy giggles, uptight priggery, and Political Correctness.

Offline kenser321

• Survivor
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2012, 08:09:57 AM »
So I'm not totally screwed, but I noticed a few things I should have bought that I can't get now. We normally keep 3-4 cases of water on hand and an extra 4 gallons of water. I've been busy at work and haven't resupplied lately. 2. I should have got a portable toilet and the blue stuff. 3. Maybe a few more Coleman tanks for my portable stove 4. A way to keep the upstairs warm our apartment is two floors and wide open through the stairwell.

Now I live on a hill far a few miles from the river and I have no basement to flood. So I'm ok there. The tree behind us looks well groomed so we should be ok there. I still have a ton of food prepped so I'm ok on food. However this is going to screw me up Paleo wise since I just started it. We have plenty of batteries and flashlights, blankets, and food for the animals. We have two large bags of to, and baby wipes for cleanliness.

Other than that I just need to fuel my car and put a few food items in our go bags. If it gets serious I can get to my parents place in about 20 minutes. I live in NE PA so were not getting hit directly. But the storm looks like its going to hit about 3ish hours sw of us and several people had flooding problems with the last storm. Houses, cars, sheds, etc. all floating down the Susquehanna River. Was a huge mess.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2012, 08:24:27 AM »
kenser321: you might want to see the thread on Hurricane Sandy http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=38429.msg432121#msg432121

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2012, 10:36:16 AM »
I am going to run outside tonight and plant my "Crisis Garden" that I bought from the Alex Jones store!

HAHAHA...

Seriously, the only thing I can think of that I may be interested in picking up would be some Kerosene, and the single 5 gallon can I have right now should be just fine should we end up without power somehow for heating the house for a couple of days. Where I live, the biggest concerns are flooding (and if it reaches my house on top of the hill you better have an ark ready), and landslides which can block traffic for hours on end.

The last time a large hurricane remnant flew over this city that was what happened.

I will be making sure I have what I need to get home in my truck or on my person should the need to get home on foot become necessary.

Going to make sure there is nothing I care about on the floor of the basement and make sure the "go kits" are ready to go since I have gone camping a few times and depleted some supplies in them, and this is as good of a time as any to take care of that.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2012, 05:18:57 PM »
I am going to run outside tonight and plant my "Crisis Garden" that I bought from the Alex Jones store!

Who in his right mind would want to grow another crop of crisis at a time like this?!?

Me personally, I'm going to step out back now and sow a few seeds of discontent.  Then sometime late next Tuesday, maybe Wednesday at the latest, that field of whirlwind should be about ready for reaping.

Offline nano.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2012, 05:30:26 PM »
yeah the storm up here in northern VT was remarkably boring... the weather reports were talking about the "sky falling"... all that happened was a couple good gusts or three and a little rain.. bah... damn weathermen..

endurance

« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2012, 06:27:52 AM »

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account