The TSP Marketplace > MURS-Radio.com

Can I paint my MURs antenna?

(1/2) > >>

cerakoter:
I have a couple of driveway boxes I would like to camo.  Would a light coat of Krylon hurt the TX/RX ?

TexasGirl:
Paint should not affect RF propagation if it doesn't contain any metals.  Some reds have significant iron oxide, some white's titanium oxides, etc.  Keep in mind that even if it does affect RF propagation, it may be negligible at the short ranges most MURS applications operate at. 

Can you test by covering the unit with tape and plastic then spray?  If you notice a problem after it dries, strip it and regroup.  If it works fine, strip it and paint a permanent coat.

~TG

cerakoter:
Actually, I can just tape it and coat and leave it that way.  Thanks for the "why didn't I think of that" moment. :)

rob_ma:
I have the antenna of one at my home painted with a spray can of brown paint I got on sale from WalMart for $1. I didn't worry too much about it since it was within 1/2 mile of my home. I didn't notice any degradation. If you are on the fringe you might but if you are near field I wouldn't worry about it too much.

- Rob

doublehelix:
We routinely paint commercial fiberglass antennas with Krylon Plastic chair paint.

Just stay away from red and other colors with high metal content.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version