Author Topic: DIY EDC Mini Bic Lighter Sheath/Holder  (Read 17918 times)

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
DIY EDC Mini Bic Lighter Sheath/Holder
« on: September 30, 2011, 06:35:31 PM »
The other day Jack was talking about EDC a lighter, I don't smoke but have carried a BIC in my GHB/BOB for years along with one those Peanut lighters on my keychain. I was looking around for a clean compact way to carry my Mini Bic around for EDC. There are a few ways to do this but everyone that I saw made theirs with the top exposed. Some used just plan old duct tape and others used rubber tubing. Most in my opinion look stupid or are bulky in appearance.

While this isn’t waterproof if you wanted to add some silicone to the top part it would keep it pretty water tight. I made this today in about 5 minutes, here is the list of materials I used.

1- 3/32”x1-½” Cotter Pin
1- ¾” Heat Shrink Tubing
1- ½” Split Key Ring
1- Mini Bic Lighter

I first bent the cotter pin using a pair of needle nose pliers to the configuration of the lighter. This protects the lighter from being depressed while in the pocket and releasing the gas and also acts as a frame for the heat shrink tubing.

After bending the cotter pin all you need to do is cut a section of heat shrink tubing to your liking. At first I cut it too long and I had a hard time pulling the lighter out. I cut off a little more so I could grab the lighter. This is a nice tight fit, but not too tight nor will the lighter fall out.

Heat up the tubing to shrink it to the lighter, be careful not to heat the lighter up too much and cause an explosion. I did a little at a time and then let it cool down before moving on.
After it’s all shrunk down to your liking you can test it out and if it’s not tight enough you probably need to heat it up more. The more tubing you have the tighter it will be to get out.

When done you can add it to your EDC keychain or BOB. Simple and effective while still looking tacti-cool! You can also see the Black Duct tape roll I made too using a cotter pin...very nice.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: DIY EDC Mini Bic Lighter Sheath/Holder
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 06:42:34 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  I'm always using shrink tubing for things and I've never thought of doing this.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 12:55:21 AM »
Nice set-up.

I do this:

A little heat shrink and paracord. I then put a rubber o-ring around it so it keeps it from depressing.

I will probably set up a few like you have there for back-ups in a few locations.

Offline jericanman

• Prepper
  • dorset rocks
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 08:25:49 AM »
i went down the ducttape route, and lared it with extra tape so i have spare tape on my key chain, but this looks nice. ill have to give it a try  :D

Offline Giff Sheriff

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 01:31:48 PM »
Gentlemen, can wide ranger bands be used in the same way as the shrink tubing?

Offline Dredrum

• Prepper
  • student of history
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 07:35:30 PM »
ranger bands probably wont hold the lighter tight enough and it will slip out. the plastic used in lighters is very "slippery" prob due to its construction for containing the butane. watch the duct tape paracord for this reason also..the tape wont stick to the plastic and the cord will eventually pull out. the heat shrink tube version creates a small vacum which helps hold the lighter in. Super glue also will not work on plastic lighters fyi..again probably due to the plastics make-up.

Offline suarry

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 04:01:58 AM »
Looks nice. Still being honest, a typical person is way better off going to their local smoke shop and buying their lighter case there instead. So yeah, thumbs up for you! My brother has the only BIC lighter case he could find on Amazon that was just the metal case with a protective cover and a holder. It does what it needs to do, but it really doesn't try to go any futher. Personally, I prefer "permanent match lighter" stuff, like this one that I got last month, though a lot of others are complete junk. It protects your lighter from accidental gas discharge and dirt and pocket lint.

Offline libertydefense

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 03:19:42 PM »
I really have liked the sog duo,not too heavy, but big enough for most tasks.

http://libertyfoxdefense.com/daily-carry-recommendations/

The sog powerassist is just a bit heavy for EDC on the hip...for the office.

here are some photos of my EDC multitool & flashlight.
Yep, I made the kydex pouches; which rides under my shirt...concealed on the support side.

Notice how I snuck a uni-ball pen into my multitool pouch? awesome!

the sog duo is HALF the weight of the sog powerassist.

T.