Author Topic: Color coding?  (Read 7390 times)

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
Color coding?
« on: November 19, 2011, 07:38:46 PM »
Do any of you use a color coding system or something similar for your food buckets? I was thinking about color coding with Gamma Seal lids what is in the buckets (generally category) and then putting a list on each bucket of actual contents. This way I could find things a bit easier.

Do you have a system?

Would you share?

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Color coding?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 07:40:15 PM »
yes I do.  I do not know where it is, but I listed my system here somewhere.  I need to get the kids to bed, but I will look for it tomorrow for you.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 08:22:31 PM »
ITEM                                RING COLOR        LID COLOR   

Beans, black                blue               black
Beans, kidney                 blue            red
Beans, Lentils                blue            yellow
Beans, pinto                blue                 orange
Beans, white                blue            white
Flour, bread                black               blue
Flour, cornmeal                black            yellow
Gretchka                        orange            blue
Oats, Regular                red            orange
Oats, Quick                red            blue
Pasta, egg noodle             yellow            black
Popcorn                        white            yellow
Rice, Basmati                orange               white
Rice, Brown                orange               yellow
Sugar, white                white               blue
Wheat, Buckwheat             yellow            orange
Wheat, Hard Red        yellow            red
Wheat, Spelt                yellow            blue

this chart is not turning up very pretty, but I have a spreadsheet where it is pretty and even color coded.  anyway, basically, I split all the gamma seals into two parts - the ring and the lid.  so, all my beans, for example have blue rings.  and the lid colors are different - white for white beans, black for black, etc.  those are just the open buckets.  I have 4 buckets of black beans, but only one has a gamma seal.  when the gamma bucket is empty, I transfer the beans to the other bucket and buy new black beans to fill that bucket.  I hope this makes sense.  ask if you have any questions.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 06:10:22 PM »
Wow that's pretty intense. Color coded according to bean color!

Any other systems out there?

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 06:22:21 PM »
Wow, I don't go as far as Morning Sunshine, but I do have different colored gamma seal lids for different things.  Since I've just started with these lids, I only have orange for refried beans, blue for oat groats and yellow will be for wheat once I open the next bucket.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 07:47:50 PM »
Gee, and here I thought I was doing good by printing a quarter page ticky label off my computer that says "FOOD" in giant (1") letters followed by a description of the food therein, and then slapping that label on the bucket.

I am depressed!! 

;)

PS: All my lids and rings are white, so I guess that means I don't color code.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 05:22:37 AM »
PS: All my lids and rings are white, so I guess that means I don't color code.
Only my opened buckets are color coded.  Everything else has a white or green lid, depending on where it came from.

Offline Jesse2004

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 09:05:32 AM »
I thought about color coding, but I don't have enough buckets to need it. Instead, I keep it real simple.  I just write what's in the bucket on a piece of masking tape and slap it on the front. 

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 09:39:45 AM »
I use "Christmas cans" rather than plastic buckets with gamma lids because they are so much cheaper. They cost about $0.50 each, used, and can hold 25 lbs of flour or rice very neatly.

Because I have so many, and because I run my shelves right up to the ceiling, I had to develop a good way of keeping track of what's what.

I put a label on each bucket that says generally what's in it: e.g. "Beans" or "DH Veggies".

Then I go one step further. I tie a piece of macrame cord around each can and leave about a foot of cord hanging from the can.

That cord is a handle which lets me drag cans out of their spot on the shelf far enough to get a good grip on them. (My shelves are sized so the cans stack side-by-side, so I can't just reach between them to grab a can and pull it out.)

The handle is very handy--especially for the lowest and highest shelves.

On the end of each handle-cord I tape a 2" X 3" paper label that has the contents and the storage date, plus the can number. And sometimes the qty. The label is easily annotated as I deplete the can.

When I need something, I just check the hanging labels. They are easily updated, and the numbering makes keeping the inventory a snap.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 10:35:21 AM »
On the end of each handle-cord I tape a 2" X 3" paper label that has the contents and the storage date, plus the can number. And sometimes the qty. The label is easily annotated as I deplete the can.

When I need something, I just check the hanging labels. They are easily updated, and the numbering makes keeping the inventory a snap.
Since you are numbering the cans already, why not put that into a spreadsheet?  Then you don't really even have to check the tags.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 11:06:58 AM »
I use "Christmas cans" rather than plastic buckets with gamma lids because they are so much cheaper. They cost about $0.50 each, used, and can hold 25 lbs of flour or rice very neatly.

Because I have so many, and because I run my shelves right up to the ceiling, I had to develop a good way of keeping track of what's what.

I put a label on each bucket that says generally what's in it: e.g. "Beans" or "DH Veggies".

Then I go one step further. I tie a piece of macrame cord around each can and leave about a foot of cord hanging from the can.

That cord is a handle which lets me drag cans out of their spot on the shelf far enough to get a good grip on them. (My shelves are sized so the cans stack side-by-side, so I can't just reach between them to grab a can and pull it out.)

The handle is very handy--especially for the lowest and highest shelves.

I really like the Christmas can idea... it's going to be on my list of things to buy at closeout prices this year...

Offline ShannonB

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Mom
    • B4Gear.net
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 11:21:14 AM »
Now i feel super lame and OCD. All of my items are in plain white bakery buckets. Everything has been vac sealed and has a barcode label on it I made with the item weight/measurement and date sealed.  Each item is scanned into my inventory on my laptop. Each bucket is filled with like items and the outside of the bucket has a barode as well as the description. That is also scanned into inventory.

I just added 40lbs of sugar to my rotation but since we dont use 40lbs at a time, they are all vac sealed as 5cup bags, barcoded and labeld as such. Each bucket holds about 30 lbs.

nkawtg

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 11:23:38 AM »
Color coding is not a bad idea, personnaly I wouldn't use more than six colors though.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 11:32:07 AM »
Now i feel super lame and OCD. All of my items are in plain white bakery buckets. Everything has been vac sealed and has a barcode label on it I made with the item weight/measurement and date sealed.  Each item is scanned into my inventory on my laptop. Each bucket is filled with like items and the outside of the bucket has a barode as well as the description. That is also scanned into inventory.
Wow, ... just wow.  :o

Actually, that's very cool.  Treating it like a business would do it.  Fantastic idea, and one that never occurred to me.

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 03:23:32 PM »
Since you are numbering the cans already, why not put that into a spreadsheet?  Then you don't really even have to check the tags.

Oh, the tags are for convenience. So I don't have to fire up the computer just to find out where the Ramen is.

I also keep a clipboard hanging on a nail with a pen tied to it on a string so I can make a note on what just came in or got used, and then the computer becomes the final tally when I update it every 2 months or so.

The tags also work even when the electricity is out.

The cans themselves, by the way, turn up in a zilion different paint schemes. That is sorta like a color code right there. At the moment, spaghetti is in the Santa Can (Ho, Ho, Ho!), and DH Collards are in the "Woodland Hunting" can. (Bang!)

I don't remember them all, of course, but I do keep certain things together, so overall it's at least as convenient as the Dewey Decimal System.

Now is about the time to re-stock empty cans--between Xmas & New Years they are pretty easy to scrounge. Another 48 and I'm good to go.

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 03:33:40 PM »
I really like the Christmas can idea... it's going to be on my list of things to buy at closeout prices this year...

Yeah--they work well. I have cans I've been using since 1998, when I first starting stocking up for Y2K-Day.

They are vermin-proof, cheap, pretty uniform in size, and easy to handle.

I usually pay $0.25 - $0.50 per can, and have never had to wash one out.

The most I ever found in one spot was 17--at $0.20 each. The guy was happy to see them gone, and I was happier to go away with them.

One will hold 25lbs of flour, typically. I usually field strip boxes and cartons to fill the cans more efficiently.

They work just fine with nitrogen and O2 absorbers, when needed, and they seal airtight with black electrical tape.

If they were square they would hold 1.707 times as much, and life would be perfect.

Offline Little Turtle

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 03:45:06 PM »
I'm new to the forum, but the color coding thing caught my eye as I had come up with similar plan for all my supplies thanks to my nine-year-old. (he's a prepper too)
  He asked the other day," If we would have to bug-out, how would I know what goes and what stays?"
  We came up with using small colored zip-ties (cable ties) to put on the handles of emergency supply boxes. Orange for bug-out stuff, red for move to in-house shelter, etc. As I keep most supplies in one easy to reach area, this would allow him to get stuff out while larger family members move stuff to trailer or basement or wherever.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 03:56:23 PM »
what are these christmas cans you refer to?

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 05:13:53 PM »
what are these christmas cans you refer to?
I think that she's talking about popcorn tins.  I see these in thrift stores and Good Will.

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 07:45:44 PM »
I think that she's talking about popcorn tins.  I see these in thrift stores and Good Will.

Yep: Those are the ones. I even have a few of that particular pattern.

They are sold with all kinds of things inside, including socks & underwear, but popcorn is a biggie right around Xmas.

There are several versions of the cans, including tapered cans and cans with low-relief details stamped into the lids and/or bodies.

They are also sold in several sizes, from about half-height right down to cookie tins about 3" tall.

I look for the plain cylindrical ones, although any size and shape of "tin box" can be useful. I have a rectangular cookie tin I store matches in, and another for spice pkgs., etc. Short round ones are great for sewing notions--buttons & elastic, etc.

I find them all year around at thrift stores, yard sales, and flea markets, but in the greatest numbers around Xmas.

I have a few very large ones--like 3X the usual size--that my sweetie keeps flour in. They even have wire handles on the side.

Once I almost bought 400 cans wholesale from a manufacturing company, but I guess their listed minimum order was too small to actually process.

Let me tell ya: Those cans last forever. I have a one in a Coca-Cola pattern that was produced by a company that went out of business over forty years ago.