Author Topic: WA governor declares state of milk emergency  (Read 3685 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
WA governor declares state of milk emergency
« on: January 19, 2012, 12:58:22 PM »
Yes, it's a nasty snow and ice storm.  This just seems like an odd reaction by our state government.

PROCLAMATION BY THE GOVERNOR
12-02

WHEREAS, a severe winter storm began on January 17th, 2012, and is forecast to continue for several days producing extensive snowfall throughout the Washington lowlands and in mountain elevations, affecting roadways and causing temporary closures of key transportation routes due to hazardous conditions; and,

The impact of this incident on transportation of perishable milk products from farms is a public disaster that affects life, health, property or the public peace;

The Washington State Military Department activated the state Emergency Operations Center to implement response procedures and coordinate resources to support local jurisdictions in alleviating the immediate social and economic impacts to people, property, and infrastructure as a result of this disaster, and is continuing to assess the magnitude of the event; and,

The extreme weather conditions affecting the state have created an emergency situation slowing the delivery of milk due to road closures and weather delays which frequently prevent drivers from completing their routes within the time limits prescribed by driver hours of service rules. Action is needed to ensure the delivery of this necessary commodity to the citizens of this state during the continuing storm, and to avoid predicted industry losses of nearly $1 million per day if their product is lost or wasted.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Christine O. Gregoire, Governor of the state of Washington, as a result of the aforementioned situation and under Chapters 38.08, 38.52, and 43.06 RCW, do hereby proclaim that a State of Emergency exists in the State of Washington, and direct the plans and procedures to the Washington State Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan be implemented. State agencies and departments are directed to utilize state resources and to do everything reasonably possible to assist affected political subdivisions in an effort to respond to and recover from the event.

I also hereby waive the driver hours of service rules, as they apply to drivers operating trucks hauling bulk milk intrastate from farms to dairy processing facilities, and interplant between dairies and between processing facilities, until January 22nd, 2012 at 11:59 p.m. PST. I ask the milk bulk carrier industry to use their best judgment in delivering their products in a manner that ensures public safety during this period.

I also hereby order into active state service the organized militia of Washington State to include the National Guard and the State Guard, or such part thereof as may be necessary in the opinion of the Adjutant General, to perform such duties as directed by competent authority of the Washington Military Department. Additionally, the Washington State Emergency Operations Center is instructed to coordinate all incident-related assistance to the affected areas.

Signed and sealed with the official seal of the state of Washington this 18th day of January, A.D, Two Thousand and Twelve at Olympia, Washington.

::)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 01:31:31 PM by Mr. Bill »

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: WA governor declares state of milk emergency
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 01:00:40 PM »
ok.  cuz tired truck drivers on snowy roads are a boon to the public safety.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 01:01:14 PM »
The sheep are startled

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 01:07:08 PM »
i can just imagine Milk Strike Teams descending from helicopters to stores with Milk in their packs to cheering, snow covered sheople people..
Or big military transport trucks in convoys down the snow packed roads with cow tails hanging out the backs....

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 01:37:09 PM »
ok.  cuz tired truck drivers on snowy roads are a boon to the public safety.

That's what I was thinking too.  They're already driving in extremely stressful, slippery, dangerous conditions -- so let's waive the safety limits and let their employers order them to drive overtime.

...Action is needed to ensure the delivery of this necessary commodity to the citizens of this state during the continuing storm, and to avoid predicted industry losses of nearly $1 million per day if their product is lost or wasted. ...

There you have the primary explanation.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 03:21:07 PM »
to think nothing of the Oreo famine or Black Coffee mange that would run rampant if Milk stopped for a day

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 03:30:41 PM »
1) must not have much exciting stuff happen in Washington
2) they probably don't want to take a chance that the farmers will dump the milk, creating "toxic" waste

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 04:12:28 PM »
Yeah toxic waste.  I thought I heard that milk was contaminated from the Japan incident.  Signs were showing up in milk.  How else would you get rid of toxic waste besides feeding to the public.  And heaven forbid if the schools didn't get their chocolate milk.  Now if you ask me it is time for civil unrest if our star bucks and other coffee houses can not get their milk products.  Us people here can't go without our coffee.

On a more serious note really well where the heck is the snow?  We only had a few inches and it was not even below freezing.  My son lives in Olympia and he said ah it's fine just go slow.  Not much there really either.  Maybe it's worse eastern WA or up in the mts. Don't know. 

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 04:36:23 PM »
On a more serious note really well where the heck is the snow?  We only had a few inches and it was not even below freezing.  My son lives in Olympia and he said ah it's fine just go slow. ...

I think Olympia was about the edge of the bad stuff.  Further north (e.g. Seattle) got hit pretty bad, and of course Eastern WA is a mess in places.  I think Southeast WA (where I am) has it worse than Spokane, because here we've had a day of mixed freezing rain + sleet + snow, and you can only drive if you don't need to accelerate, delecerate, or turn. 8)  Up in Spokane it's just plain snow, which is easier to deal with.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 04:50:56 PM »
oh freezing rain yuck.  Yeah didn't know just been catching the weather local for my extended forecast.  Watching for the rains to hit so I knew how many days I had left to work outside.  Love that beat the rain game.  This year I won :egyptian:  got everything done that had to be done before it hit.  Now I don't need to watch the weather it will be rain every day till June?  :'(     

When Hubby came home he told me Seattle is under ice. ok so I live in a bubble.  Hope every one thaws out soon.  I had a feeling this was going to be a bad winter.