Author Topic: 2012 apple crop concerns  (Read 3463 times)

Offline radtke

• Herald of the Goatpocalypse
  • Survivor
    • the lost skills podcast
2012 apple crop concerns
« on: March 23, 2012, 09:54:03 AM »
i just wanted to share this article i found about this years apple crop . if it frosts apples will probably be out of sight in terms of pricing this summer. 

Unusually Warm Weather Concerns Apple Farmers
Orchard Owners Say Frost Now Could Wipe Out Crop
Updated: 12:54 pm CDT March 19, 2012

RICHLAND CENTER, Wis. -- Some local farmers said they're concerned that the unseasonable weather threatens their apple crop -- and a favorite pastime for many Wisconsinites.

Temperatures that have hovered near 80 degrees for several days have allowed buds to appear on apple trees in southern Wisconsin orchards, such as Oakwood Fruit Farm near Richland Center.

A frost or freeze would kill the buds, meaning apples wouldn't grow this season, said Steve Louis, the farm's owner

here is the rest of the article http://www.channel3000.com/news/30706006/detail.html

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: 2012 apple crop concerns
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 10:32:34 AM »
And I am concerned due to the snows and freezes we are having here. Some trees have budded and others have flowered. Hood River has unseasonably cold/ice/snow weather and Oregon and Washington State. Washington State grows about 60% of the USA apples. New York is #2 and Oregon is somewhere in there.

Cedar

Offline AnonPrepper

• Prepper
  • Newb Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 10:38:40 AM »
Unusually Warm Weather Concerns Apple Farmers
Orchard Owners Say Frost Now Could Wipe Out Crop
Updated: 12:54 pm CDT March 19, 2012

RICHLAND CENTER, Wis. -- Some local farmers said they're concerned that the unseasonable weather threatens their apple crop -- and a favorite pastime for many Wisconsinites.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/30706006/detail.html[/url]

I work in the apple/fruit industry and while I agree that it could have an effect on apple prices I would start to say I doubt that it will be that much of an effect. Washington state produces 57% of the US's apple crop so I don't have hard numbers yet as of what the percentage is of Wisconsin's contribution to the market is but id bet I could find it. There would be a small raise in the local market price since they used to rely on the local farms and will now have to import it from another state but the price difference when that happens is so small that I would imagine you wont see mush of a price jump. Id guess that a box of gala apples which now sell for about 23 bucks would be 25 if they have to get it from somewhere else. Ohhh and here's the tricky part, the price this year makes about as much since as the price of gas vs whats going on in the world since 90% of the apples you get in the grocery store are about 9 months old anyway and have been in cold storage forever....

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 11:11:22 AM »
I am convinced that here where I live (western PA) we aren't gonna see any more frost. We didn't have a WINTER, and it is already SUMMER here.

(Now watch me eat my words when we get a 21" of snowfall in a single storm in a week or two), but seriously — I am just not feeling it, and that is about as accurate as any weatherman I've seen on TV so I am going with it.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 11:14:31 AM »
I'm worried about all of my fruit trees. The Peach and Plum trees are already flowering and my Apple tree has started budding. But I'm new to having fruit trees in this area, so it may not be a problem here.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 12:59:23 PM »
The weird spring here last year caused pretty much 2 crops of apples on the same tree at a commercial orchard we had at gleaners last year. They took the first pick, but left that second one to us. The apples are way smaller, but still good enough to store here for me. I got 7 months out of them (and running out of them). But they got 2 sets of blossoms a couple months apart last year. So sometimes it is a bit of a blessing too. I never saw the first picking however.

Cedar

Offline radtke

• Herald of the Goatpocalypse
  • Survivor
    • the lost skills podcast
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 01:15:41 PM »
I work in the apple/fruit industry and while I agree that it could have an effect on apple prices I would start to say I doubt that it will be that much of an effect. Washington state produces 57% of the US's apple crop so I don't have hard numbers yet as of what the percentage is of Wisconsin's contribution to the market is but id bet I could find it. There would be a small raise in the local market price since they used to rely on the local farms and will now have to import it from another state but the price difference when that happens is so small that I would imagine you wont see mush of a price jump. Id guess that a box of gala apples which now sell for about 23 bucks would be 25 if they have to get it from somewhere else. Ohhh and here's the tricky part, the price this year makes about as much since as the price of gas vs whats going on in the world since 90% of the apples you get in the grocery store are about 9 months old anyway and have been in cold storage forever....

i think you are right about Wisconsin not being a big stake in ti but what about upper and lower Michigan, Minnesota, Illinois, Ohio and all the other states in the Midwest ? Wisconsin's upper and lower Michigan, Minnesota ,and Illinois must make up a large portion of the apple crop , or am i wrong about that ? i am sure that if it happens here that my prices will go up because almost every grocery store has door county apples in it. how much it would go up i could not say .but i have never seen a year like this for weather that i can recall .

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 02:33:11 PM »
Western NY has definitely been affected by this.  All of my trees are budding out following 12 days over 70°F. It's only March 23 now.  The average last frost date here is early May. NY is a huge apple producer (the "Big Apple").  There are over 300 commercial orchards in my county that will be having trouble if we get a couple of frosts.

More concerning is the increase in taxes here over the last few years mean many orchards are 1 bad crop away from bankruptcy. Two orchards down the road a few miles have already been bulldozed to make room for new housing developments and a drug-store. 

On the plus side, wheat, oats and barley (for feed) are big crops here as well, and they are in a month early all around the area.  It's rare we get 3 cuttings in a year this far north, and may now be looking at 4. Good news for those looking to get away from corn feed for their animals.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 02:48:43 PM »
I grew up in Western NY and already have thought about the Apple Orchards everywhere — AND the time it snowed in June so bad that my grandfather's barn collapsed under all the weight (it was old and about to go and just needed that one last push to topple it).

I remember that day watching the thermometer drop over 30 degrees in less than an hour before the snow came.

They are calling for 50s temps next week here where I live. Hopefully I won't be walking outside to scraping ice off my car any more this year (cross fingers).