Author Topic: Hi Fellow "Lady Survivors"  (Read 22675 times)

limeliberator

Re: Hi Fellow "Lady Survivors"
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2008, 01:48:34 PM »
Welcome Pangie.  I am not officially a vegan, but I think I could make it as one if I had to.  Quite honestly, I have been looking at the high cost of meat, chicken, pork, and wondering what I would do in a you know what hits the fan deal. No electricity, no freezer, no way to refrigerate---- and I just plain don't like spam.  I'm not entirely sure what they put in that stuff, or vienna's for that matter. 
What do you do for protein?

If you jerk your meat, it lasts forever.. hmm.. i just re-read that... lol.. I mean you can make beef and turkey jerky and such. One of the best things that you can do for long-term food storage is to dehydrate it. I saw that someone grows pineapples. They're amazing when you dehydrate them. You'll need lots of water though because drying it concentrates the sugars into a supersweet snack.  If you want a lot of food, grow fruit. we have lemon and lime trees and raspberries and calamuncie bushes. the raspberries produce enough that if that was my only source of food, i wouldn't starve. (I'd be mighty hungry but i wouldn't starve)

You can also get a bucket of emergency food at Costco for around $100. I can't guarantee how good it would taste but living in Earthquake country makes you think about just having enough that you can ride it out for a couple of weeks without water or power. I'm lucky enough to live in an area without a harsh winter so food and shelter is our primary need.

Fish, nuts and beans are a great source of protein. (all of which you can store long-term if you prep them right) You have to be careful, though. For some reason, people are touting an all-protein diet for the past couple of years which is horrible for you. Too much protein leeches calcium from your bones and causes osteoporosis and sometimes kidney problems.

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2008, 04:14:15 PM »
LOL....how did they ever decide to call it "jerking" your meat?  Imagine the first time they did that....sort of like the first person to eat an egg..."I'm so hungry..next thing that comes out of that chicken's butt..I'm eatin it"  I have never dehydrated meat before.  I have a dehydrator, but there aren't any instructions on dehydrating meat.  I dried some strawberries, and I sliced them too thin.  How can you tell when the meat is done? 

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 05:18:33 PM »
  :o  ;D

Offline Aunt Bee

• Prepper
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2008, 05:58:32 PM »
Too funny...I needed a grin.

edibleyards

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
Edibleyard,

I am so happy to find someone who is interested in edible landscaping! Did you get rid of all of your grass, and if so, did you get flak from your neighbors at all about it?

I did not get rid of all the grass. As soon as I can get some pics taken, I'll post some. We have a 1/2 acre on a suburban lot with no deed restrictions other than the standard county/town restrictions. Our neighbors think we're pretty weird, anyway, because we don't spray poison and mow our grass every 5 minutes. They think they live in a deed-restricted neighborhood, put plastic flowers in their landscape and complain that a lawn that wasn't mowed 5 minutes ago is dragging down their property values. The dude across the street has some palms, and he wrapped the base of one of them with a plastic garbage bag, not really sure why. It is in a rock base with curbing and giant ceramic dolphins jumping out of the rocks. These are NOT the people I want to be stuck with if TSHTF, but you do what you can...

Okay, so enough rambling about my neighbors. When we moved here 3 years ago, we put a bunch of mulch around some palm trees and made sort of a native plant bed. With food plots, I have just made small areas all around and built the soil up in those areas. I would like to have more fruit trees, but I've not had much success keeping them alive. So we actually have quite a lot of grass, but anytime the tree trimmers are in the area, I ask them to dump the mulch here, and then I create another grass free zone. I like to have some grass, for the kids, and for the possible chickens that may be here in time. Also there is a septic tank and leach lines, and that will be left as is.

Mainly, I just like to have food growing where people can see that food is growing (although sometimes I might prefer that people don't know this). I've always been fascinated to see food growing in suburban landscapes, so it's more of a "Look, food can grow right in your yard," kind of thing, and to inspire other people, and to thumb my nose at standard landscaping styles. But also, my front yard food is in the best location for the food to grow; it's near the water source and gets shade from the hottest afternoon sun.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:50:00 PM by Sister Wolf »

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2008, 04:49:06 PM »
I just found out not long ago that there is no ordinance against having chickens in the little town I live in.  The ordinance does say though, that you can have no more than 8 per person in the house.  I saw a chicken house on wheels that I think would be a good idea.  It will only hold 5-8 chickens, you can roll it from one area in your yard to another, fertilizing the yard, and they eat whatever weeds they find.  I am hoping to get some chickens soon.  Did you plant vegetables around your trees, if so which ones, as I have sort of a shady front yard and I have a few spots that I could plant veggies, just not sure what would do well.

Offline susan1957

• Senior Survivalist
  • Steel Magnolia
    • Smith's Simple Frugal Life
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2008, 08:59:29 PM »
What zone do you live in?  That would make a difference.  You need to have full sun on tomatoes, and most vegetables.  Is there possibly an area where your neighborhood would go in together and make a community garden if you can't have your veggies grow in your yard?

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2008, 09:15:11 PM »
You are in the same zone I am.  It's 8 or 7 depending on who you ask.  There's no community place that we could have a community garden. Most of my neighbors have smaller yards than mine and they go straight up in the back.

coffecat

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2008, 10:51:37 AM »
Hello !  Am so glad to see lady survivors.  Been prepping for over 10 years.  Will need alot of gardening advice this coming spring.  VERY interested in edible yard.  Have high bush blackberries aplenty but they were shrimpy this year - lack of rain. Seneca Rocks in WV - campgrounds called Seneca Shadows - wonderful and totally loaded with fat yummy blackberries this summer.  At least I discovered this summer in my yard garden attempt (new to this location) that my dirt is no good. Everything I grew was a failure and basically burned up. Am attempting to grow indoors now.  Chives and lettuce and other greens.  Annette

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2008, 06:32:17 PM »
Welcome Annette!  You're growing indoors?  Tell us how you are doing that?  I have thought about converting my attic.

Kara

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2008, 09:24:32 AM »
Hello !  Am so glad to see lady survivors.  Been prepping for over 10 years.  Will need alot of gardening advice this coming spring.  VERY interested in edible yard.  Have high bush blackberries aplenty but they were shrimpy this year - lack of rain. Seneca Rocks in WV - campgrounds called Seneca Shadows - wonderful and totally loaded with fat yummy blackberries this summer.  At least I discovered this summer in my yard garden attempt (new to this location) that my dirt is no good. Everything I grew was a failure and basically burned up. Am attempting to grow indoors now.  Chives and lettuce and other greens.  Annette

Hi Coffecat!

I was glad to hear of your interest in edible landscaping. There's a thread dedicated to it under Permaculture in the gardening section.

Welcome!

Wintersparrow
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:31:50 PM by Sister Wolf »

Offline splinter99

• Prepper
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2008, 05:59:12 PM »
Hi , been hanging around here for a little while. I am mother of one little girl and wife to a wonderful and supportive husband.  We are all in this as a family.  We tend to be more into homesteading type ideas, working everyday towards more self-sufficiency.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2008, 06:22:48 PM »
Welcome, Splinter99.
I believe that you have just expanded your family!   ;D

I have learned a lot here, and I am sure you will also.  You can also teach. We all share whatever we know/hear, and discuss various subjects with each other.

Offline splinter99

• Prepper
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2008, 05:19:48 PM »
Thank you, flagtag.  I do hope to be able to gain and share knowledge.

coffecat

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2008, 07:33:49 PM »
Biggest thrill for me was to learn how to make soft and yummy pie dough.  But I am one of those who had to watch step by second someone who could make it perfect every time.  Then made my own apple dumplings and wow !  When I was married about 3 years and had a baby, in our apartment building were a group of girls who wanted to do Bible Study, and we got together with the children and one would also show and teach a skill.  I learned breadmaking from scratch and have made good bread ever since. Never found a Bible study like this ever again either.
Growing food plants inside takes patience and a nice bag of Sevin 10 dust.  Good potting soil and a sunny sunny window.  I put a shelf up across double windows in the center, out enough so I could close blinds.  Exposure is WSW.  Shelf is out enough so plants can't get too cold.  Use the metal L shaped brackets and buy them to stick out further than you think.  Then install a board on these across.  I used a board only about 6 inches and it sets about 6 inches out.  Does pretty well except I wish I had more space and may do another just like it a little lower.  The sevin 10 dust is for all the interesting bugs that can occaisionally take up residence in the soil. Sevin does not hurt plants, or cats etc.  C.

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2008, 08:57:13 AM »
Hello Ladies! Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself as I'm new and sure I will be coming around a good bit more :) I'm BJ from Texas! While I am not new to thoughts of survival, prep I am new to actually doing it and I look forward to learning here. I have been perusing the site and the Ladies postings and have already gleaned quite a bit, thank you all.

Nice to 'meet' you all and I look forward to great 'conversation'!

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2008, 06:56:25 PM »
The Bluebonnets are always so beautiful.  I had forgotten.  Welcome to our forum.

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2008, 07:25:36 PM »
The Bluebonnets are lovely! Thank you for the welcome :)

Honorbound

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2008, 12:56:07 PM »
You look lonely here all by yourself, so I thought I would stop in and say "Hello". 
What should we start with?  How about CLOTHES?
Dressing "down" in a SHIF situation.  We all like to look our best - not only for others to see, but for our own self esteem as well. BUT, in such a situation, it might be better to "ugly" one's self up a bit.  Of course, the bad guys generally don't choose their victims based on looks, rather it's a power/hate type thing.
But, why encourage anyone?  The duller, drabber, more invisible one appears in such a situation, the better.
No make-up, baggy clothes, and maybe in extreme instances - the "unwashed" look.  (And maybe a way to "smell" yourself up in a hurry.) Anything to discourage the bad guys.
What do you think? 

I think this is a great post!   ;D ;D I laughed so hard, especially the "smell yourself up"!  A great idea.      Hmmmm,  I think I might try to get some skunk essense to keep in a small glass vial which could be broken if the need arises!   

Seriously though, I think the well dressed lady survivor should know how to accesorize, as in hardware like accesories.   A well placed high caliber rifle or side arm should give the bad guys something to consider!!

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2008, 09:44:40 PM »
You look lonely here all by yourself, so I thought I would stop in and say "Hello". 
Dressing "down" in a SHIF situation.  We all like to look our best - not only for others to see, but for our own self esteem as well. BUT, in such a situation, it might be better to "ugly" one's self up a bit.  Of course, the bad guys generally don't choose their victims based on looks, rather it's a power/hate type thing.
But, why encourage anyone?  The duller, drabber, more invisible one appears in such a situation, the better.
No make-up, baggy clothes, and maybe in extreme instances - the "unwashed" look.  (And maybe a way to "smell" yourself up in a hurry.) Anything to discourage the bad guys.
What do you think? 

I think this is a great post!   ;D ;D I laughed so hard, especially the "smell yourself up"!  A great idea.      Hmmmm,  I think I might try to get some skunk essense to keep in a small glass vial which could be broken if the need arises!   

Seriously though, I think the well dressed lady survivor should know how to accesorize, as in hardware like accesories.   A well placed high caliber rifle or side arm should give the bad guys something to consider!!

I know - I sometimes have a "wierd' sense of humor.  I don't think I would go so far as to use anything like skunk essense, tho.  (After the "situation" was over, YOU would still have to live with you!  ;D)  I'm not too sure I would be sucessful at doing that. I LOVE my shower! (Or at LEAST a PTA bath)

"Accesories" would be a MUST!  In a SHTF situation, the more obvious (visual) the better.  (Oh, and an "ATTITUDE" to go along with the "accessories", wouldn't hurt either.)  ::)

Kara

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2008, 08:23:11 AM »
Speaking of accessories, let's not forget the feminine hygiene supplies!

My aunt described to me what life was like without them, and I shudder to think of having to go back to that. Blech!! :P

mkmjmom

Hey Girls!
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2008, 01:29:15 PM »
I can't believe I am starting to consider myself a survivalist.  I was a total suburbanite before.  However, I can brag that the last time my husband when hunting with all his brothers and father, I shot the biggest deer of the lot!   ;D  I guess I'm on my way!

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2008, 05:01:11 PM »
Congratulations!  Way to go!  (How many points?)

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2008, 05:59:43 PM »
Hello and welcome mkmjmom!

Offline CFG

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2009, 07:49:54 PM »
What do you think? 

It wouldn't be much of a change for me; my basic uniform is jeans with a brown T-shirt and black jungle boots or brown sneakers.  Brown is great b/c we live in the dirt, so to speak.  Between the cat, the dog, two boys, and gardening, hunting, hauling wood, and spilling coffee on myself, dark earthy colors are on par with the lifestyle here.  But I think that the way you carry yourself is even more crucial.  I've been in some verra bad places, and if you stand up straight and walk with purpose it will do more to preserve you than anything, save your guardian angel.  Hold up your head and keep moving.  Staying in good physical shape doesn't hurt either.  Last, you want to wear clothes and shoes you can move in, if worse comes to worse.

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2009, 06:22:24 PM »
When I was younger, my mom would take 4 small children downtown shopping and when we got out of the car she would grab her purse and say, "come on ya'll, walk like you're mad at it."  Now when I am in a bad part of town, if I have to get out of the car, I say, "come on, walk like you're mad at it!"

Offline CFG

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2009, 09:58:31 PM »
No lie, that that walk has saved my life more than once.  Didn't get me any dates, but oh well.  Nice barn, Darkeyes.    8)

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2009, 07:08:55 PM »
Thanks...would you believe someone poaching shot a couple of holes in the sides?

Offline CFG

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2009, 07:33:24 PM »
What a shame.  We had renegade deer hunters drive through our yard.  Give hunters a bad name.

Hope to see you at the shindig!

zombiegirl

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2009, 01:15:02 PM »
I live in Ohio and am an active prepper.  Long story about how my prepping started, but I just received my TECH ham radio license.  So excited, as the comm area was where I was weak.
My husband "humors" me but I know deep inside he is relieved I have taken upon myself prepare.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 01:26:46 PM by zombiegirl »