Author Topic: What's your prep "focus"?  (Read 26775 times)

coffecat

Re: What's your prep "focus"?
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2009, 06:35:35 PM »
Garden went nuts.  Calf manure rather than cow manure.  Learning to pressure can greenbeans.  Not hard - just a little scarey.  Working on small spaces to prepare for gardening here.  Ground was river bottom umpteen years ago - rocks every three inches in any direction.  Got 2nd kero heater and fuel.  Traded tote for small gas can.  Am trying to trade more.  Am impressed with the amount of skills women survivors have !  Trying to learn more skills.   Planting more trees for shade and winter blast protection. 

Houstonmom

« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2009, 10:06:39 AM »
At first mine was food storage.  Now it is learning to cook tasty meals from the pantry.  Cooking from my pantry has made me realize what I'm missing in case we ever had to live from this food.  For example, I didn't have enough canned cream soups.  Also learning to cook with little energy:  pressure cooker, crockpot and solar oven.

Offline Texasbound

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2009, 10:52:35 AM »
Food preps are now adequate.  Home and personal defense are good.  Water storage is good. 

My current focus is a combination of getting my BOL improved and prepared, and learning/stocking medical and first aid.

Fhilip

« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2009, 04:17:16 AM »
Food accumulator I aswell starting in the basal method.

sarahluker

« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2009, 02:33:03 PM »
Seems food is always our first thought.  I hope to keep it at the top of my list while supplementing the other needs.  We have bought three bikes and I'm trying to collect the parts and tools that I would need to fix them.  Also the third bay of our garage is part of a tandem set and I'm trying to talk my husband (who thinks i'm abit whacky) to turn it into a large pantry/storage area.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2009, 02:44:17 PM »
Yeah - food, water, shelter, protection should be at the top of our lists.  If you don't have those, everything else would be worthless. (Since you might not be around to use/enjoy anything else.)

I hope your husband follows your suggestions for the garage.  (Must be careful what you store in there tho - temps need to be considered.)
I would be thrilled to death to have another yard barn to store stuff.

Good luck! :D

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2009, 09:06:08 AM »
Our food stores are adequate right now.  I'd like more but we don't have much water stored and our city water goes out frequently.  I have "non-potable" water stored (old milk jugs with filtered faucet water).  It could be potable with some boiling.  It just has not been stored well.  I rotate it some.  I use it right now for toilets, handwashing etc when the water does go out.  We are set on protection, shelter and entertainment.  I would like more fuel stored for all the vehicles.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2009, 02:22:53 PM »
I'm curious...is there an area of prep/survivalism that you tend to focus on more than others?  Right now for me it is food storage.  I've learned so much and it has changed the way we eat at my house.  I cook more from whole foods like grains and beans.  I've even started grinding my own wheat to bake my own bread!

I think it's commendable what you are doing,..  It's a skill that our house hold needs dearly, there is still a considerable amount of waste to cut out.  I keep working on it,.. but drop from time to time...

<needs a coach!>

Offline Texasbound

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2009, 04:43:56 PM »
My biggest prep goal is getting my house sold and moving to my permanent BOL.  Everything else has sort of been put on hold until this is done.  Even making some real sacrifices to make it happen a little faster.