Author Topic: 5 gallon buck Avocado tree?  (Read 3218 times)

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
5 gallon buck Avocado tree?
« on: April 16, 2012, 02:57:53 PM »
I just started trying to do some patio gardening.  I live in an attick studio apt so the only area I have is the legde of wooden stairs outside and some roofspace where I can put some 5 gallon bucks.  Can I grow an avocado tree in a 5 gallon bucket and will it still bear fruit?  Also, how long should I expect it to take before I see any fruit?  the last thing; I live in Nebraska, so if I bring it inside for the winter, (only one window facing nort for and light so it won't get a lot) will it be able to survive the winter inside?  any info would be appreciated.

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: 5 gallon buck Avocado tree?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 10:49:19 PM »
I doubt you'd be happy with the results of planting an avocado tree in such a small container in your climate.  You could probably get it to grow, and keep it alive through the winter by bringing it inside, but you'd need a much bigger container to get it to fruit-bearing size.  I think avocados are pretty slow to produce, taking up to 10 years to start producing when grown from a seedling.  It could be a fun experiment, but I wouldn't go into it expecting to be eating a lot of fresh guacamole any time soon!

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 09:40:13 AM »
Thanks for the info. follow up.  I know that I've hear that after living in a container, it'll limit the root growth if transplanted.  how much would it retard that growth if it was in the bucket for a year, maybe 2 before i'm in a new situation where I can plant it in the ground?

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 11:13:50 PM »
Depends on the size of the tree.  If you're growing from a seed or a small seedling, then it shouldn't be any harm.  If it's a bigger plant to start with, you'll want to put it in a container at least twice as large as what it comes in.  As long as the tree doesn't get root-bound (lots of roots circling around the pot), it should transplant just fine.  If you hold it in a container for a year, and find you need to hold it for a second year, you'd want to pull it out of the pot and check the root growth, and "pot up" to a bigger pot if you see signs of it becoming root-bound.

Keep in mind, though, that avocados are a subtropical species, and won't tolerate much cold.  Some varieties can freeze to the ground and re-grow in a severe frost, but they won't produce much fruit (if any) if that happens every year.  So if you're planning on staying in Nebraska, you'll probably need some kind of greenhouse to keep it in during the winter.