By Dene B. http://youtu.be/na5OMdHip-g
82 (60.3%)
By mozartsgokart  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wme9rRJEEjQ
28 (20.6%)
By Voodoo Medic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-YbjhpL49c
26 (19.1%)

Total Members Voted: 136

Voting closed: May 28, 2012, 08:09:52 AM

Author Topic: Vote for Your Favorite "If I Wanted to Save America Video"  (Read 31485 times)

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
Full details on this contest are at, http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/create-an-if-i-wanted-to-save-america-video

Winner though gets 100 dollars and 100 donated in their name by me to Bella Medical Ministries.  http://bellaministries.com/

You can change your vote but you can only vote for one winner. 

Again the entries are

This poll will run for 7 days, the winner will be announced on Monday May 28th on that days episode of TSP.  Thanks to all who entered and thanks in advance to all who will vote and help promote the winning video.

Offline The Morgan Hill Homesteading Project

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Vote for Your Favorite "If I Wanted to Save America Video"
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 11:52:17 AM »
I am voting for the video done by made by The Prepared Ninja. I am also voting for this video because the video cites links in regrades what has happened with the farms and gardens. The video also mentioned many different quotes. Voodoo Medic also mentioned many different as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-YbjhpL49c

Offline dugin_yakima

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 12:38:44 PM »
Wow I really got teared up towards the end there. Great videos and Great Speech Jack.

Offline Babasfarmlife

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 01:34:51 PM »
All three were wonderfully done videos and it was a tough choice.  I vote for Voodoo Medic for the added information links included.  But I must say that the ending of mozartsgokart video was powerful and moving with the map of the U.S.  Great job on all three!

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 02:05:54 PM »
All good. Not an easy choice, but I voted.

inbox485

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 03:04:01 PM »
Coin toss between Dene B. http://youtu.be/na5OMdHip-g and mozartsgokart  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wme9rRJEEjQ IMO.
I loved the graphics in the first, and the word art in the second was really something else. If that word art program can substitute pictures for words in certain places, and then at the final zoom out have the collage of images peppered into the word map, that would really be awesome.

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
All three are very good (and are all way better than I could have done).  Had to choose one from the three, though.  Don't want to skew others' votes, so I'll keep my choice to myself for now.

Offline markl32

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Support Brigade member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 06:23:27 PM »

Voted. 

Much Respect for all three. 

Offline ratherbecampin

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 07:36:39 PM »
Voted and shared on Facebook.  Hope to help get the message out.  Thanks Jack!!!

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 07:50:49 PM »
Not sure which is best - I know which one I liked - but this speech with the right video is quite powerful.

Offline toptec

• Fledgling Prepper
    • Experience Homesteading
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 08:16:14 PM »
I was going to submit a video myself but after viewing what had been submitted already I knew that there was no topping the three entries!

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 10:05:22 PM »
Awesome videos. I had my favorite, but all three did a damn good job.

Offline themonk

• Prepper
    • Fleeting Survival
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 03:39:42 PM »
IMHO I think Dene B's vid should start at a minute thirty seconds (1:30) if you want to make it viral.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 06:22:50 PM »
Good Job everyone. +1

Voted!

Offline Rottenclam

• Prepper
  • Go Bucs!
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 07:13:53 PM »
I liked all three, but my personal preference is for Dene B's, and that is where my vote went.  Seriously though - props to all three.

As an aside, Dene is always very polite and friendly in the comments section (and I've seen her presence on other survival sites too).  She seems to be a good ambassador for TSP and for preparedness in general.   

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 10:33:42 AM »
Maybe the winning video can add the best parts of the other 2?

Offline KellyAnn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 03:36:34 PM »
I hope that the two that don't win will still post their videos publicly on youtube.
It would be a shame if they didn't.  They're all very good.

Offline mozartsgokart

• Prepper
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 07:39:26 PM »
I hope we can post our videos.  I haven't passed it around on Facebook, email, or anything yet.  Looking forward to sharing it with the world.  This was our first big kinetic type video.  We are looking forward to making more.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 09:08:45 AM »
I hope we can post our videos.  I haven't passed it around on Facebook, email, or anything yet.  Looking forward to sharing it with the world.  This was our first big kinetic type video.  We are looking forward to making more.

I agree completely!

metaforge

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 01:42:50 PM »
Really enjoyed all three, made my choice.  I agree the final result could maybe be a remaster of the two that didn't involve just the words - that one is so unique I don't know how you could mix that in - it would need to win on its own & be left that way.

Anyway great job to all!

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 07:43:45 PM »
I'm torn. I find Dene B.'s video compelling with the choice of music and the well-edited visuals. And yet I was deeply moved by the impact of the very skillfully employed word generator program used by mozartsgokart.

I still can't decide.

Part of me feels like Dene B's video is more YouTube-ish and thus could reach a wider audience.

I also am wondering if the word generator program might be an automatic turnoff for a lot of viewers who just aren't into seeing a flurry of words flashed at them. I loved the word generator, but then again I am a writer. And words are the clay from which a writer sculpts his masterpiece, so I get extra jazzed about words as a general rule. But I am also a former school teacher, and one of the most important things I learned in college was that not all students in a classroom (or not all grownups surfing YouTube) can tolerate having to plod through written text, so words can be a total turnoff for some people. And yet it was just SOOO cool!   By writing out the entire text of his speech with such dynamism, it elevated Jack's declaration of "If I Wanted to Save America," right up there with someone else's more famous declaration which was "I Have a Dream." It leant an impact to Jack's words, drove home their meaning.

So torn.

I guess maybe in the end I shouldn't be trying to judge this on which one I think will have a better impact on others, but instead which one had a better impact on ME. 

Offline mozartsgokart

• Prepper
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 08:08:21 PM »
For clarification the program we used is Maya.  We have been using it for the last 10 years at a local animation studio in Buffalo, NY.  Nothing about our animation is auto generated.  Its all done with purpose and by hand, frame by frame.  If your interested in a free 3d program google a program called "Blender".  Your only limitation is your imagination..

If you like the style and flow search for "kinetic type" in youtube.  There are a bunch of really good videos to inspire you.

Offline mozartsgokart

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 06:19:07 AM »

... one of the most important things I learned in college was that not all students in a classroom (or not all grownups surfing YouTube) can tolerate having to plod through written text, so words can be a total turnoff for some people. And yet it was just SOOO cool!   By writing out the entire text of his speech with such dynamism, it elevated Jack's declaration of "If I Wanted to Save America," right up there with someone else's more famous declaration which was "I Have a Dream." It leant an impact to Jack's words, drove home their meaning.

This hits the nail right on the head!  The videos really can speak to two audiences.  We knew ours would appeal to about half and probably alienate the other.  The fast motion does turn some people off.  Its more the "in" thing to do now, fast cuts and lots of motion.  It helps keeps the new generation interested.  Younger people can process information faster and faster. (have you watched them play video games!)

While doing the layout it was always on our mind to really hammer this message of not "if i want to save America" but "I want to save America"  If you watch closely you will see that message start to emerge more and more as our video plays.  Its subtle and not in your face but does become noticeable.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 09:09:21 AM »
Oil Lady,

I understand what you are saying.  With the word video, I found myself thinking more about what was being said, the message.  With pictures, there was a little distraction of the mind as unique frames came up.  But that could just be the old photographer in me.

I did send out a link to the word video on an email list, and got several replies saying "Wow!"  It makes a case that both styles of video should be promoted to reach the varying audiences.

~TG

Offline voodoo medic

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 09:30:27 AM »
Congratulations Dene! I knew from the get go your video was going to be tough to compete with. You did an amazing job.

Jack,

Now that the voting has ended and we know which video we are going to promote, are we free to go forth and spread the word? As mozartsgokart mentioned, are we still free to make our videos public as well to help spread the gospel of TSP?

Thanks,
Voodoo Medic

Offline PaCoTx

• Survivor
  • Halt! WHOO goes there?
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 07:24:09 PM »
Missed the deadline.  Guess I need to catch up on episodes.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 09:06:47 AM »
Winner is Dene B.  We are going to launch the campaign on Thursday in the AM as long as that works for Dene, I would suggest that the two others go public about that time as well, post your vids as responses to Dene's.  They were all awesome!  I do want them all seen but in an effort to get the winner into viral mode for the first day or two lets all promote the heck out of that one.

Offline Sarey

• Survivor
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 01:43:21 PM »
Great job to all of you! I too, missed the voting.

Offline Dave in Broadway, NC

• Survivor
  • It's the electorate, stupid
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 03:57:38 AM »
I went to Youtube this morning to join the other 3,000+ people who have "liked" the video.  Fantastic production (both video and audio, to say nothing of the ideas they express).  Especially liked the snapshots of some recent headlines.  Then I went to my Facebook account and posted this to my wall:

I think most of you know my politics...liberatarian with a small "l."  With all the pictures I've posted of our cows and goats, etc., it's probably no surprise to know I'm into self-sufficiency and self-reliance.  A couple years ago I found a website that represented the marriage of these concepts, "The Survival Podcast Network."  The philosophy of the man who runs the site is "Helping you live a better life, if times get tough or even if they don't."  The video link is from that site.  Amid the cynicism and silliness that dominates the 24-hr news cycle-, there are some inspirational qualities to this video, and I recommend you take the eight or so minutes to watch it and consider the messages, and consider what you can do to exercise your freedoms and responsibilities for your family, your community, and your country.  Here's the URL to the website:  http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/

Offline grizz2225

• Prepper
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 06:27:32 PM »
Hey mozartgocart any chance at getting the final image of the whole us filled with the words. Might make a good T-shirt, or something.

I hope that's not rude. I just thought if its easy to do from the program you used to make it might make pretty cool swag.