Author Topic: TriSquare eXRS FHSS ISM HT's  (Read 3795 times)

MarkWhiskey

TriSquare eXRS FHSS ISM HT's
« on: March 06, 2009, 02:43:42 PM »
I thought these new ht's looked good and I liked the idea of a frequency hopping radio.

http://www.trisquare.us/exrs.htm

I spent the money on the TSX300, it wasn't worth it as the text messaging doesn't ack or do retries, it just transmits in the blind. so I'd recommend you go with the TSX100 if you're going to get these.

here's a link to a number of good reviews and tech info on these radios.

http://www.popularwireless.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=32205&Board=2&page=1&fpart=all&gonew=1

personally, I was disappointed with the radios, they didn't have adequate range/crypto stability for a car-to-car on the freeway or even person-to-person in a big mall. the text messaging was so hit or miss it was worthless.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
Re: TriSquare eXRS FHSS ISM HT's
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 11:23:52 AM »
(Reviving this thread because Biff brought it to my attention in another thread...)

Some discussion and reviews of the TriSquare units on this RadioReference forum thread.

Another review on the Rasch Outdoor Chronicles.

These radios can be monitored on a scanner (lots of skips on a standard scanner, perfect reception with an Optoelectronics R-10 interceptor).  The audio signal is analog, not digital.

My impression is that these radios may be good for short-range communication in areas where the FRS channels are overcrowded.  Not good for long-range (over a mile or so).

Motorola has some competing products: DTR410, DTR550, DTR650.  These are for-real digital 900MHz transceivers marketed for "on-site" business communications.

Offline Biff

• Survivor
Re: TriSquare eXRS FHSS ISM HT's
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 06:00:30 PM »
Thanks!  I appreciate the info.  Looks like I won't go eXRS but will need to find an alternative.
"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him." - Professor Bernardo de la Paz in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, by Robert A. Heinlein

"We've got a blind date with Destiny -- and it looks like she's ordered the lobster." - William H. Macy, as "The Shoveler" in Mystery Men, 1999