Author Topic: Lights Out by Halffast - Free PDF Book  (Read 138099 times)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
Re: Lights Out - Free PDF Book
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2009, 09:02:47 AM »
(This thread has been selected as a “best of” thread by Heavy G.  You can search for “best of” threads by using that term in the search mode.  Everyone on the forum is encouraged to reply to a post they think is “best of” worthy so we can all search for them.  For more information on the “best of” thing, see http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3423.0 )

JL

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2009, 08:19:25 PM »

I have been reading Lights Out for a couple of weeks, and I am now on page 250 or so.  It's been a good read, and I often wonder "what I would do" in that situation.

Not to get anything started...and the following is my opinion

I didn't care for the author's comments regarding Mahindra tractors, and his advice that you would be better off if you had bought a John Deere. Oh pleaze!!! Most of the subcompact and smaller John Deeres are actually imported from other parts of the world. Mahindra is the world's largest 3rd tractor manufacturer. I happen to own an Mahindra E350, and that is a work horse or a tractor. That model is a diesel (the author failed to mention that fact) with a pretty basic electronical system that could probably be started manually (if it had to be started) with only a battery feeding the starter.

Here is a vid of me and my tractor:   ;)

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/2747022/7986822

Offline NightOwl

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2009, 08:35:31 AM »
I started reading "lights out" at bedtime a couple nights ago.  I'm at the part where they're about to make a decision on the ranch so don't spoil it all for me. :P

It's not bad so far, though it could use a professional editor.  Just someone to make sure the spelling and grammar conform to Standard American Television English.  (Or maybe I have an outdated version.  Had to get it in plain text to read better on my Palm.)

Also so far the book focuses a little too much on the fine points of every little shopping errand and how much the ammo costs and so on.  Kinda drags the story, and the prices are already out of date.  The words "pre-ban" come up a little too often.  Again, I think a competent but sympathetic editor could help.

But it has a lot of potential.  Already it has me thinking...

Offline union hill

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2009, 04:50:01 PM »
I emailed the PDF to my Kindle address and read it on my Kindle. I enjoyed the book very much and it certainly gave me some additional insights and ideas on how such a scenario might play out.

Prior to going to print, the book could definitiely use some more proofreading... many instances of "loose" instead of "lose", "he wretched...", "Baretta" ... and frequent and odd uses of the term "cretin". I think the author might think it means something different, or might be thinking "miscreant".

Still a very enjoyable read.

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2009, 10:14:23 AM »
I just started reading through it AGAIN.

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2009, 04:29:41 PM »
Working on the fourth readthrough.  What, I like to read.  Really good read.  Somehow reading this put some things into perspective, and how not just EMP, but a lot of things could make life a royal bitch.

Offline JPH

• Survivor
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2009, 08:14:51 PM »
I just can't wait for Jack to get the audio version done, but I just want say right now that if this ever goes to print even if the hard copies are in a limited number and cost a lot more I would really like to add this to my library in hard back....

great work

Offline sneauxball

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2009, 07:15:49 PM »
I just finished reading this.  I enjoyed it so much I only got three hours of sleep last night.  And I read it all on the dang computer.

DragonSoldier

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2009, 08:39:19 PM »
I just finished today. It's a long one, but well written. Worth the read.

One thing I would like to add, is that EMP from a nuke of the size the Tango probably had wouldn't do that kind of damage. It's all about voltage overloads. Points and condenser cars would probably still run with having to be repaired. (The newer diesels have TONS of electronics and will be vulnerable. Each model would need to be evaluated, because I don't know which ones went to more electronics, when.) The transformers might go, especially the high voltage ones, like the 115KV and higher. On the other hand the electromagnetic surge from a strong solar flare may do the job very nicely though.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=bracing-for-a-solar-superstorm

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=solar-storms-effects-on-power

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/04/2012storms/#previouspost
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 08:51:17 PM by DragonSoldier »

Offline shangrily

• Survivor
  • me
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2009, 11:41:32 AM »
yet another book ill read this summer

Offline Hypntick

• Prepper
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2009, 02:16:04 PM »
Finished it yesterday, pretty good. I think that there could be a lot of follow-up material between the end and the epilogue. Does need some editing, but most books do anyways.

SPOILER!

I expected Mark's buddy to be more prominent in the end, but it seems like he was almost forgotten.

Angie

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2009, 08:40:51 AM »
I read all 600 plus pages right off my laptop while recovering from knee surgery.  It was excellent.  Hopefully the writer will write a sequel that will be published.  He deserves the credit and income from being a successful writer.    It gave several hours of pleasure!

Offline shangrily

• Survivor
  • me
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2009, 02:16:46 PM »
90 pages in and it is a good book so far

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2009, 02:39:57 PM »
Maybe if we all "ganged up" on him, he would consider having it published - even if it were in "paperback", he could earn quite a bit of income off it.  Yes, I would be willing to spend more for a hardcover edition.  (And, of course, any sequel he might consider writing/publishing.)  (Fingers crossed [X])

Offline TNDadx4

• Survivor
  • Country roads, take me home To the place I belong.
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2009, 08:05:46 AM »
I've read and re-read Light's Out and love it. It makes you think... really think...  about situations and what you would do and also how to better improve your planning now.

Offline HelenWheels

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hooah!
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2009, 08:37:43 AM »
I loved it too... but I got so wrapped up in it that I didn't get much accomplished over the weekend while I read (and finished) it....

Offline ubergeek

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Numquam non paratus
Re: Lights Out by Halffast - Free PDF Book
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2009, 12:17:38 PM »
great book, I read it a year or two ago. If published I would definitely add it to my real library, it's one of the better books I've read, besides halffast definitely deserves my money for such a great piece of work

Offline 47jets

• Prepper
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2009, 12:24:28 PM »
Finished it a few weeks ago and liked it very much.  It was a long read but well written.

sarahluker

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2009, 03:04:02 PM »
I just bookmarked Lights Out.  Last week I read a manuscript recommended by Millerized in the 2nd post of this thread.  We Interrupt this Program was a great read.  It has never been published it seems.  I think if he polished it up and found a publisher he could have a winner.

Sneak

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2009, 07:36:52 AM »
This book was HOLDING the #500 spot on Amazon yesterday. This is quite incredible for the mainstream reading crowd to be picking up on it so intensely! This is competing against all the classics, text books, foreign language, and the holy bible as well as college books.

It came out in march. I think this might be another Hal Lindsey scenario.

Offline survivininct

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Homeowner's Friend Podcast
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
excellent book - read it in three nights (I never mentioned I got any sleep, did I?).. Definitely brought out some thoughts on what it would be like if this kind of thing happened.  Makes me think that where we live would not work.  Too many people around..  Got to bug out!

Steve

Offline NightOwl

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2009, 10:25:40 PM »
To be honest - I'm still stalled at the point in the story where I was back in March.  Too many other books keep getting my attention.  Maybe I'll get back to it after reading through some of the current backlog.

Offline Peter Pumpkin Eater

• Prepper
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2010, 04:34:19 PM »
Just finished reading it on my Ipod touch and wow...it really opened my eyes up a bit and I couldn't help but wonder if Jack wrote it.
Whomever made the list of "survival fiction" books I want to say Thank You this was an awesome read and really helped with the "cabin fever" that I have had all week-end due to the Ice/Snow here in Oklahoma that seems to have everything "shut down" in town. 

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2010, 11:03:09 AM »
Just finished my self.  Excellent read, wish it was in paperback!  It also made me think about time and plans.  Unfortunately, vehicles not running will thwart a whole log of those plans!  It seemed like alot of folks would not make a decision until the danger was on top of them.  You did see them start to become moreproactive as the attacks came.  I also don't think Joe would have made it back to anyone. 

BP

Offline fndrbndr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2010, 03:20:06 PM »
Just finished reading this last night...I also could not put it down. Great book...

I kind of stayed away from fiction like this until now, choosing more instructional-oriented reading, but that started getting a little old after a while. Reading "Lights Out" was a breath of fresh air and it really motivated me. It was also cool to read about people's mistakes and be able to learn from them.

Just picked up a copy of "Patriots"...about to start reading that.

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2010, 07:33:42 PM »
If you liked Lights out, you would probibly enjoy Dark Winter by TC Sherry

Its a weather related story of survival

In addition to Dark Winter Sherry wrote a sequal "Shatter"

Both I highly recommend reading...

Offline otowner98

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tu ne cede malis
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2010, 09:11:01 PM »
Really great read, and by the far the best of the genre that I've gotten to so far (Patriots, One Second After, Deep Winter).  I think books like this one really help you to take the blinders off and think past your preconceived "survivalism" notions, and see just how much you aren't prepped for.

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2010, 04:41:52 AM »
If you liked Lights out, you would probibly enjoy Dark Winter by TC Sherry

Its a weather related story of survival

In addition to Dark Winter Sherry wrote a sequal "Shatter"

Both I highly recommend reading...

Woops the title is DEEP WINTER not Dark winter, sorry it was a long day yesterday for me. :o :o :o

Offline PreperationH

• Prepper
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2010, 05:03:57 AM »
Just finished reading it and thought it was great.

SPOILER AHEAD (highlight to read properly)

I thought that Jim would play a larger part in the story but was glad that he made it through to the end. I also thought that the end seemed a little hurried and that it was a bit too easy that Jon was able to control a group of bad ass bikers.

A highly recommended read

Offline Dr. Horrible

• Survivor
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2010, 01:45:20 PM »
This is pretty much the gold standard for modern survival fiction, even if it is a bit optimistic in some respects. It's a good story that's well-told.