Author Topic: Lights Out by Halffast - Free PDF Book  (Read 139968 times)

Offline The Infidel

• Survivor
Re: Lights Out by Halffast - Free PDF Book
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2010, 01:12:43 PM »
Does it end with
ark pukink or do I have a bad download

Offline helenrt

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2010, 05:47:50 PM »
Could someone please tell me where I could get a copy? I've looked all over and I would really like to read it. Did he ever come out with the book Lost and Found?

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2010, 07:37:55 PM »
My understanding is that the author has reached a deal with some Hollywood types to prospect a wider distribution so it has been removed from the source location I would have given you.  Maybe somebody out there saved a copy after they downloaded.

TNV

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2010, 07:42:16 PM »
http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/reading-room/3-lights-out-halffast-pdf-update.html

-Update from Halffast 2/23/2010
Well, the day has come. I have made a deal with a Hollywood producer to shop Lights Out around to some studios. He thinks we have a great shot at getting one of them to take on the project. We are also working on a book deal.

That means that I need to ask you to remove LO from your site. There is no way that I can ever repay you for the support you have given the story. Of course you will get an acknowledgement in the book and I will send you a signed copy.

Thanks again for everything.

--Halffast

Looks like Hallfast may get himself a movie deal.  I sure hope him the best as this is one of my favorite SHTF reads.   I just hope he doesn't let hollyweird screw up the storyline.  So while you may find a PDF copy somewhere most have probably been pulled down at his request.

My understanding is that the author has reached a deal with some Hollywood types to prospect a wider distribution so it has been removed from the source location I would have given you.  Maybe somebody out there saved a copy after they downloaded.

TNV

I have a copy saved but will respect his request to limit didtribution
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 07:44:23 PM by Who...me? »

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2010, 08:30:57 PM »

Thanks.  We freedom-loving people here at TSP have very few rules but not participating in illegal stuff is one of them.  Copyright is a property right and we believe in property rights.

Best of luck Halffast.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2010, 09:00:22 PM »
I look forward to the movie,  I haven't gotten a chance to read the book.  I hope it gets published as well so I can read it.

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2010, 09:22:46 PM »
Quote from: Who...me? on Today at 08:42:16 PM

Thanks.  We freedom-loving people here at TSP have very few rules but not participating in illegal stuff is one of them.  Copyright is a property right and we believe in property rights.

Best of luck Halffast./quote]

HeavyG & Who..me?,
I wholeheartedly agree.  Thanks for reeling me in.  Just a little bit excited as a noob that I may have something to share.

Halffast,
My apologies.

TNV

Offline otowner98

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tu ne cede malis
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2010, 09:28:44 PM »
Wow, I really, truly hope this movie gets made - without being turned into a shadow of itself.  I also hope it doesn't turn into a never ending "when?" saga like World War Z.

jkill1

« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2010, 02:18:59 PM »
A listener to the show named Brian sent this to me.  Read about the first 50 pages so far and it seems pretty good.  So far it is less clichce and "tac talk" then Patriots was.  The scenario is an EMP shutdown of the grid, a definite real threat.  

http://www.survivalmonkey.com/SF%20books/LightsOut!/LightsOut-Current.pdf

jkill1

« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2010, 02:22:59 PM »
Well, I cannot figure it out.  Can you still read Lights Out and if so where can you get it.

Jkill1

Offline Dr. Horrible

• Survivor
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2010, 06:49:25 PM »
It's obviously still out there (nothing ever really dies on the Internet).

Personally, though, I wish HalfFast would consider putting out a self-published version through Amazon, Lulu, or another house like that. As with all content, if you don't provide a legal outlet for it, there's going to be a less-than-legal one or two.

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2010, 09:20:03 PM »
It is my understanding that there is a possible book forthcoming.  I have sent off an e-mail to the author asking, if he could find the time in his schedule, to stop by here (as he is a member) and give a short update on the movie and/or the possible publishing of his book.

Offline tmbrwolf

• Prepper
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2010, 07:25:25 AM »
Lights out is still on the frugal squirrels website, as well as some other good story's.I thought Halffast is involved with that site?

http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/friends_links.html

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2010, 11:33:38 PM »
Lights out is still on the frugal squirrels website, as well as some other good story's.I thought Halffast is involved with that site?

http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/friends_links.html

Halffast is also a member of this forum.

TW

Offline Halffast

• Prepper
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2010, 05:54:29 AM »
It is my understanding that there is a possible book forthcoming.  I have sent off an e-mail to the author asking, if he could find the time in his schedule, to stop by here (as he is a member) and give a short update on the movie and/or the possible publishing of his book.

Hey guys.  We are working on a few different options for publishing the book.  It is going to be difficult to get a traditional publisher to take it on as it is about four times as long as what they usually like to see from a first time author.  We haven't given up on going this route, but are trying to be realistic.  If we can't find anyone who will do it for us, then we are going to do it ourselves.  That will mean that the book will cost more, but I hope to keep it reasonable.

The movie deal is being shopped to studios by a producer that wants to do it.  I don't have any recent news on it, but as soon as I do, I'll let you know.

The first 20 chapters have been taken off the Frugal Squirrel website.  I am only a member of that forum and have nothing to do with the operation of it.  It is where I got my start with writing LO, though, so it does hold a special fondness for me.

Thanks for all of the interests in the book.  You guys are the best!

David   

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2010, 12:02:44 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to stop by and let us know what is going on.  Love "Lights out" and even tho I have read it a few times I would buy a copy just to have it...well and probably read it again.

I hope a movie deal works out for you and those in hollyweird don't screw it up like they have the tendency to do. 

By the way, do you have a repository of other writings you have penned?

Keep the faith bro.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2010, 07:16:28 PM »
I, too, would purchase a hardcopy (book).

I had read "Lights Out" several times online, but would LOVE to be able to take a copy with me. (Such as to work - reading between routes)
A real "portable" version would be fantastic!
And I believe it would be a great movie. (So long as "they" didn't "Special Effects" it too much.)

Good luck on each endevor. (I have my fingers crossed.  ;D)

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2010, 10:44:04 PM »
Ya that is my fear also...they seem to change story lines for no apparent reason.  The visual simplicity of the story seems like there would not be room for too much in the way of special effects...but we are talking about movie makers here.

Offline helenrt

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2010, 06:57:51 PM »
Please, please tell me there is only 20 chapters in Lights Out? I'm almost at the end and I love, love love it.If there are more chapters, tell me where to get them, please!!

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2010, 10:59:29 PM »
OK...there are only 20 chapters in lights out.

The other 54 are optional.

Offline helenrt

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2010, 11:15:47 AM »
WOW! I finally found a whole copy! over 600 pages. Thanks anyway everyone!

Offline jaegersapper

• Survivor
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2010, 12:26:01 AM »
Outstanding read Halffast!  I liked reading Patriots, but Lights Out is survival for the common man. 

I am looking forward to hard copies. 

Offline Prag

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prag
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2010, 04:19:51 AM »
I would gladly pay for a hard copy book as well.

Good Luck on all of your ventures.

Prag

Offline leakfinder

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2010, 08:43:34 AM »
I read Lights Out last year and it was what really gave me my kick in the butt to start doing my research and getting prepared.

I just recently finished William Forstchen's "One Second After" which is basically the same premise of an EMP attack on America.  One Second After focuses from the standpoint of a former military colonel who gets in the middle of command and control for a small mountain town in NC.  So, you get to see the difficult decisions that are made about rationing food, triage of folks based on who provides what skills, the realities of cannibalism, and a ton of other aspects of TEOWAWKI.  This spin is different than Light's Out where it deals with a small organized neighborhood (probably the preferable situation to be in).  Be prepared to shed some tears though, the story is easy to get involved in and it will tug at your heart strings.

I recommend both books highly.

lf

Offline shangrily

• Survivor
  • me
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2010, 10:59:40 AM »
Dose anyone know when the hard copy will be available? ???

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2010, 07:47:06 PM »
So I'm guessing from skimming this thread that the PDF version is no longer available and that no one knows when a hard copy is coming out, is that correct?

I want to read this.  But, hey, if he's shopping it to Hollywood and took down the PDF and isn't doing a hard copy just yet then that's capitalism and I'm cool with that.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2010, 10:22:34 PM »
Looks like they took it off of frugalsquarrel.com.  Wonder if Halfast and Jack are still doing the audio story.  I knew I should have saved it!  It was one of the best "books" I've read.  Hope it comes out soon.

BP

Offline BoltsFan

• Prepper
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2010, 05:36:41 PM »
I would like to read this as well.. Where can i find it? I promise to pay for a copy when its published.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2010, 05:52:28 PM »
I always thought this book would make an awesome movie.  Hollywood would probably just screw it up though.

Offline Amator

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2010, 01:00:37 PM »
I'm looking forward to a print copy of Light's Out at some point.  I was on FS when the first chapter was posted, and followed it through to the end there. 

The print version should fix a few things and add new chapters.  That would be great. 

Good luck with the movie deal as well.  Although I think more justice would be done to it as a TV show.