Author Topic: Sleeping on a cot  (Read 50892 times)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Sleeping on a cot
« on: August 22, 2012, 08:51:53 PM »
So I've camped for decades, but always on some type of backpacking pad. Well, the old bones are starting to protest this more, and am wondering how cots work for sleeping on in a tent. Anyone have any experience or recommendations for me?
Do you put some type of mattress/pad on the cot under your sleeping bag? how stable are they?

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
Re: Sleeping on a cot
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 08:56:49 PM »
I have spent months sleeping on an army cot, learned a lot.

they are very stable, but can be somewhat hard to assemble (the parts fit together really tight)
I bought a walmart cot that was fine except the nylon squeaked on the aluminum every time I moved really loudly, I covered the aluminum with duct tape and that fixed the problem.

THE CURE WORTH A MILLION DOLLARS  The best thing I ever done was bought a 2 inch think memory foam bed topper for a twin bed, throw it on the cot and it is nearly as good as a regular bed. Spend the money it is well worth it.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 09:09:20 PM »
I have spent months sleeping on an army cot, learned a lot.

they are very stable, but can be somewhat hard to assemble (the parts fit together really tight)
I bought a walmart cot that was fine except the nylon squeaked on the aluminum every time I moved really loudly, I covered the aluminum with duct tape and that fixed the problem.

THE CURE WORTH A MILLION DOLLARS  The best thing I ever done was bought a 2 inch think memory foam bed topper for a twin bed, throw it on the cot and it is nearly as good as a regular bed. Spend the money it is well worth it.
thanks for the tips excaliber!

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 07:36:23 AM »
I have wide shoulders and every cot that I've tried was really uncomfortable due to the supports cutting into one shoulder or the other if I shifted out of dead center. I found a couple of extra wide cots at Cabela's though. The memory foam idea might help for this as well.

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 08:38:29 AM »
You will still need some form of insulation underneath your compressed sleeping bag on a cot in colder conditions.

endurance

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 09:01:51 AM »
During the hot summer nights, going without a pad they are great at keeping your cool.  During the cooler months, without some type of pad I've found myself cold with a -10F rated bag in 35 degree weather.  Even a thin closed cell pad makes all the difference in warmth.  There's no comparison to the comfort of a cot.  It's pure luxury.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 09:32:57 AM »
thanks all. good to know.

Offline Saint

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bury it and bury the shovel.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 09:52:02 AM »
Inflatable mattress.
everything about the cots above is right on, if you're "car camping" (i.e. close to the vehicle) then the weight and room is not an issue and an inflatable mattress is lighter than the cot, but a bit bulky since you have the mattress (when rolled up is a little bigger than a rugby ball - but most have a built in nylon carry "wrap") and the pump (rechargeable battery operated).
day hiking then camping you could do either depending on how you pack and how much you carry.
back country camping (pack it in, pack it out, multiple miles) I use a 2" thick inflatable pad; cot or inflatable is too much to worry about bringing.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 12:19:04 PM »
X2 on the inflatable mattress.
Much more comfortable than a cot. If your dead set on the cot then get the one for big people as Nico mentioned. That gives you alittle room to wriggle.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 01:57:02 PM »
I'm going to go off in a completely different direction and recommend a hammock!  They make bivy-style hammocks as well.  As long as you have other camping gear, you should have problems with getting too cold or anything.  The only downside to a hammock is you are pretty much forced to sleep by yourself.  I don't know if this is an issue for you.

Offline markl32

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Support Brigade member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 12:36:20 AM »

Cots are more comfortable than inflatable mattresses in my opinion.  Cots are way more volume to pack though. 

I'd take a cot while camping over anything else if space and weight were no object. 

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 08:20:48 AM »
I love to nap in a hammock, but hard to hit into a tent when it is raining...
thanks to all for all the recommendations...

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
I love to nap in a hammock, but hard to hit into a tent when it is raining...
thanks to all for all the recommendations...

Take a look at the Hennessy Explorer with the Hex Rainfly.

http://hennessyhammock.com/

I have not used one of these, but after looking at the product, I think I will be getting one before next summer!

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 03:39:17 PM »
tarp + hammock = best camp ever

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 12:35:57 AM »
I love cots for car camping. My wife and I use a big air matress when we both go, but I may have to pick up a cot for deer camp if I end up doing overnighters since I gave my Dad his cot back. Some of the best sleep I've ever had was camping on a GI cot with a thick foam pad.

Offline JC2

• Senior Survivalist
    • Harvesting Grace Farm
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 01:17:15 AM »
After 20 plus years of the military i have found an occasion or two to sleep on a cot:)
I would recommend the good heavy duty aluminum cots even though the plastic ends have a tendency to get lost which really sucks next time you want to use the cot. Practice putting it up once or twice before you head out camping. Definitely dont get the older wooden ones.
As far as the foam mattress - don't leave home without it. It is bulky - get one of those bags where you can suck the air out and store it in there (big room saver).
I would rather have to worry about a bit of bulk but know i rested well than to be grumpy and sore the next day because i was trying to save some room:)

Offline Dusti

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 10:07:57 AM »
After spending a long time sleeping on cots in the Army, I learned to keep the end support disconnected at my feet. I don't sleep well on a firm surface and this worked great to still provide support, but also provide a softer surface.

Offline TwoXForr

• Prepper
    • Stories from the Mind* and Keyboard of A.A. Forringer
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 09:51:10 AM »
I have a Hennesy Hammock, the exact model named earlier, the Explorer, just get the largest fly available, and the higher you tie it above you in hot weather the more airflow.

nelson96

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 11:24:56 AM »
I too vote for using a cot (if not hiking).  This is the one I have and it accomodates my size and weight very well for a perfect nights sleep.  It also sits pretty high off the ground, leaving a lot of room for storing items on the ground underneath me.  And I use their pad designed to fit this cot. . . 

Cabela's Outfitter XL Cot:
Do you love spending multiple days in the outdoors fishing, hunting and camping, but dread sleeping on a tiny, uncomfortable cot that really is built too flimsy to adequately support your weight? Constructed with a heavy-duty 600-pound weight capacity and sporting a huge 85" x 40" x 20-1/2" set-up size, Cabela’s Outfitter XL Cot ensures even the largest-framed outdoor enthusiasts enjoy a comfortable, restful nights sleep. Innovative rubber leg bushings absorb shock and add firm support to eliminate the sagging and bowing common with other cots. Reinforced legs combined with tough 600-denier nylon fabric guarantees season after season of lasting performance. A lightweight aluminum frame complete with spring-loaded connecting pins delivers quick, hassle-free setup. Cot folds down to a small 42" x 9" x 7" for easy transport and storage in the included nylon carry bag.

Cabela's Deluxe Cot Pad:
Padded with thick 3" open-cell foam, our Outfitter XL Cot Pad makes camping, hunting and fishing outings as comfortable as being at home. Built-in attachment/roll-up straps complete with quick-release buckles keep the pad properly positioned on the cot and ensure compact transport and storage.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 02:53:25 PM »
thanks all, time to go out and look for cots.. there is a cabellas about 2 hrs away. hmm. road trip!

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 03:18:25 PM »
They're opening a Bass Pro Shop about 30 miles away from here, therefore Cabela's decided they needed to be represented in the area as well, so double win for me.  ;D

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 06:21:07 PM »
They're opening a Bass Pro Shop about 30 miles away from here, therefore Cabela's decided they needed to be represented in the area as well, so double win for me.  ;D
lucky man!

Offline Blu

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2012, 09:45:24 PM »
My dad had a GoKot and liked it alot.  I slept on it several times as a kid, but not as an adult.  It was pretty comfortable and was somewhat compact . 

Offline alexbrentwood

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2013, 11:25:07 PM »
I am a big buy.  TETON XXL Cot from this site http://heavydutycots.blogspot.comIt si really wide and very sturdy.  I amso got the topper and it makes it like a small bed.  A lot easier than an air mattress.  I use it for camping and as a guest bed.

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 11:05:43 PM »
The last 2 times we have been camping, the weather has been great. Hannah and I slept on cots under the EZ Up. I did have a mattress pad, and slept like the dead. Maybe it was the whiskey, I dont know. ;) If I am car camping, I will use a cot. I bought ours from REI, very reasonable.

TW

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 08:49:07 AM »
thanks all. time to go out cot pricing

Offline Cryptozoic

• Senior Survivalist
  • We have to help each other.
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2013, 11:33:19 PM »
Coleman makes a fine 30" cot which folds in half and comes with a pretty good pad.  Very stable and comfortable.
I had one delivered and it was about $100.  I have not taken it camping, I used it to outfit a tornado shelter under the basement stairs.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 08:10:50 PM »
In my back's humble opinion, nothing beats a genuine GI aluminum cot. They aren't exactly portable, but for car camping [or a few weeks out in the woods with the guys ;) ], they are hard to beat. They are high enough off the ground so you are not killing yourself trying to get in or out of it, and they are sturdy. Setting them up can be an issue until you learn to use the cot itself as a tool. They aren't the least expensive item out there, but they will last a lifetime.

soupbone

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 05:27:40 AM »
A cot is a wonderful thing. I prefer it to an airmattress. Less time to set up, and storage space underneath. I have an xl cot, and the organizer that hangs from it is an added bonus.

For hiking and backpacking, I have switched totally to a backpacking/ bivvie style hammock. The weight of a tent, pad, and in summer, a sleepimg bag replaced with a few ounces.

If I can't see the truck, hammock all the way, if close to the truck, I will not be without a cot.

If you have one close enough, I prefer Sportsman's warehouse to Cabelas/ bass pro/ gander mtn, and last I was there, had a decent selection of cots. I have both a spartsman's warehouse, and a bass pro within an hour of me. I go to sw 4 or 5 a year minimum. I haven't been to bass pro in 8 years.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 05:34:18 AM by trekker111 »

Offline allofthemonkeys

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Dutch Oven A Day
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2013, 01:26:57 PM »
I have spent several summers working at camps and it really does beat sleeping on the ground.  I also love my hammock too.  The military style cots, like already shared, are really tight and that means the sleeping surface are really tight and therefore kinda hard.  I diddo having some sort of pad to put on top of it.