Author Topic: Mountaineerying skills come in handy  (Read 1650 times)

Offline PE

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Mountaineerying skills come in handy
« on: October 03, 2012, 12:41:31 AM »
If you happen to live in and around Puget Sound area, you have probably already heard of the Mountaineers....it is an organization that promotes...well, mountaineering.  I was looking at the thread on bug out packs and all I saw was what we refer to as a day pack.  The day packs we put together will get you through one night up at higher elevations where it is considerably cooler, just in case something happens while out on or off the trail.  I realize a bug out bag is for longer lengths of time, but you are restricted to what all you can carry...unless you have livestock.  I highly recommend anyone to look into this organization if you are real new to this...I took their basic climbing class in 94, but have been into backpacking, sea-kayaking and all around camping since the late 60's.  I am sure there probably are preppers in our sense, involved with them, but overall, probably not (that could have changed a lot since 1994, though).  There are a lot of liberal minded folks in western WA.  Most of them don't think gun control as being able to hit your target.  PE

Offline theangler

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Mountaineerying skills come in handy
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 10:31:55 AM »
PE,

I think myself as more of an outdoor enthusiast than a "prepper".  I do have a few months long term food supply, weapons, etc etc, but I believe in the idea that skills are much more handy than gear.  I still have lots to learn and mountaineering is one of my next goals to dabble into.  Here in Maine I think it's a bit different than out west, but we do have mountains (NH has a lot of steeper trails).  I thought about getting myself a climbing rope and having a go, but a class or something like that would probably prove a much better / safer starting point.  What do you suggest?

Thanks!