Author Topic: Carrying extra cash  (Read 20689 times)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Carrying extra cash
« on: October 16, 2012, 08:21:19 AM »
I know the need to carry some extra cash.  I tend to have less than $50 in my wallet.  But I have some extra bills stashed other places on my body. 

I have several of these little pill holders.  They are the perfect size to stash a single bill folded and rolled up.  But what size bill would you put in there?  I'm thinking that a $20 is probably the right denomination.  Sure, I could need more money, but I've seen places that ask for no bills over a $20. 

So, if you could only put 1 bill in one of these, what denomination would you pick and why?

BTW, here's the pill holders that I'm talking about.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
Re: Carrying extra cash
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 08:54:42 AM »
If I were a spy I would keep a cyanide pill in it.  Or maybe some killer bees.....

A $20 sounds about right, though.  Though maybe you could just put a treasure map on microfiche.  That would probably defeat the point.  Sorry, it's late here.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 09:17:44 AM »
Not a $1-bill because scrolling up a single MIGHT mess up that bill's ability to be sent through a vedning machine or automated paraking garage bill feeder.

I'd keep no smaller than a $5.

And if I'm feeling very confident in my ability to not lose that sucker, I'd go ahead and put a $50 or a $100 in it.

Meanwhile, I keep a stash of $1's and $5's at home at all times for a SHTF situation so that I can buy bread and milk. (I anticipate ATM machines everywhere could get shut down for a few days due to a power failue or a banking crisis. So I want to have as many small bills on hand as possible to last about a week. I don't want to show up with a $20 at a store to  buy bread, and have the guy tell me he can't make change, so either I hand over the entire $20 for the bread or there's no sale. But I do not carry with me such a stash.)   

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 09:47:52 AM »
I'm confident I won't lose it.  It's firmly attached to my keys. 

I have other money at home for the type of thing that Oil Lady is talking about.  My main concern is having some emergency cash on hand if I'd lose my wallet.  I have never lost my keys.  (misplacing them in the house is something entirely different)  And a pick pocket is likely not going to take my keys, he's going for the wallet, which is in a front pocket.

My thinking with a $20 is that it's enough to buy something that I need, but not big enough to really worry not being able to get change.

Offline Bazinga!

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 04:00:07 PM »
I purchased 12 of those dirt cheap from Amazon.com (less than $7) and now my wife, kids and employees carry them on their keychains with a little extra cash.  Lose the little plastic vial and a $20 (which is what I carry and recommend) fits nicely when folded in half, length-wise and rolled tightly.  I have a couple small pills that I carry rolled up inside the $20, in case I find myself without my meds.  Preparedness is not just for SHTF scenarios, of course.  I have needed, and used, my cash stash on a couple occasions.  My kids have told me of instances when theirs came in handy as well.  For example, I went to the gym and forgot my wallet in my other pants...I needed to pick up a few things and the $20 came in handy to save me a round trip needlessly.  So, all our little (and large) preps help protect us from the SHTF scenarios and the little, minor emergencies that creep up.

Just don't forget to reload if you use it!

If anyone gets two bills in one of these, let me know.  Tried and tried to no avail.   :D

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 04:03:26 PM »
That's exactly what I bought.  I decided that a $20 is the right denomination for in the capsule.  And my thinking is the same, prepping isn't just for the end of the world, so if I need the cash, I'll use it and reload at first chance.

No, these are too small for 2 bills.  If you don't roll the bill tight enough, even 1 bill won't fit in this capsule.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 04:14:15 PM »
i have one similar to these to carry headache meds with me, it does unscrew itself at times...
but that is a good idea..

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 06:14:43 PM »
I don't know if yours has an o-ring or not.  These do and I haven't had them unscrew yet.  Of course I've only carried them for a couple of weeks.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 06:23:49 PM »
I don't know if yours has an o-ring or not.  These do and I haven't had them unscrew yet.  Of course I've only carried them for a couple of weeks.
mine has an o-ring, it just unscrews itself at times..

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 06:27:53 PM »
I'll have to keep an eye on them.  Thanks for the warning

Offline Saint-TyR

• Survivor
    • Ruby Lane Farm
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 06:43:19 PM »
I would go with a 20- inside and attach it to a key ring with a Gerber Curve, a Streamlight Nano, and a steel flint rod. Each of our car keys are set up in that fashion.

Offline Rutger

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 04:57:16 AM »
I may be in the minority here, but I would go with the $100 bill. For me, the times I could use the "backup cash" is when the debit machine is down and I need gas for the car, or I need an emergency cab ride or something like that. It is not a replacement for the money in your get home bag, BOB or the cash you have at home (as you mentioned).

I guess it depends what you are using it for. The biggest use I can see is to pay for something because my debit card does not work, or I have an immediate need for emergency cash. If that is the case, $20 will not get you much nowadays.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 06:03:13 AM »
My concern with carrying $100 in there is that there are many places with their signs up that they won't take bills over $20.  I'd hate to be stuck with cash and not be able to buy what I need because they won't take any bills that big.  But the view that I need more cash in the situation certainly holds merit.

Maybe I should carry 1 with a $20 and another capsule with a $100.  They certainly don't take up much space.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 06:09:56 AM »
In a situation where there is no power, likely no phone, no ATM, etc - the minimum wage cashier isn't going to ring up the sale anyway. They're pocketing the cash. Take the $100.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 06:46:25 AM »
carry two containers, one with $20, the other with $50 or $100. they are small enough.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 07:59:47 AM »
If you want to carry 2 bills,this is an option. Sunshine products are very high quality. They also have higher quality threads and don't come open as easy as those cheaper pill case. Been there, done that.

Personally, I've cone to a 2 wallet set up. I carry one of these as my main everyday use wallet, and one of these with a few hundred in misc bills, my back-up credit card and a memory card in a usb adapter with a copy of my documentation packet on it.

Offline patrat

• Survivor
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 10:56:27 AM »
Many shoes have removable insoles. A folded bill fits easy under it, and it is awkward enough to get to that you probably won't spend it for a non emergency.

Offline Special K

• Survivor
  • Confused...Mostley...I think...
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 11:59:19 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/01/tensions-boil-over-at-gas-stations-as-pumps-run-dry-in-wake-sandy/

Supermarkets with their own generators managed to stay open and offer even perishable items. But other grocery stores went dark, or offered their customers an even more frustrating proposition: For instance, at the ShopRite supermarket in Neptune, N.J., food and supplies could be had - but customers were required to provide exact change.

Just sayin'...

Offline Ohio Homesteading

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • The Cunningham Homestead
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 05:20:41 PM »
Inside car behind my speaker covers. ( I know its not on you but if you need gas its in your car)

I used to be in sales and spent 5-8 hrs per day in my car. A few of my buddies cars where broken into and had GPS, CDS, and Stereos  stolen. But no one ever lost their speakers.

Offline Special K

• Survivor
  • Confused...Mostley...I think...
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 10:37:50 PM »
After thinking about this I think $50 cash broken down as follows:

1x $20
1x $10
3x $5
5x $1

The bills should be used but clean, untorn and unmarked so as to avoid that "just printed" look and feel while still working in vending machine and self-serve checkout bill suckers. The spread of denominations should also keep "exact change only"" losses to a minimum.

Offline Kayakmom

• Prepper
  • Happy to be here.
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 07:09:45 AM »
I would vote for the $100. Just running out of money or losing your wallet is much more likely than a hurricane. I think the $100 will end up being more useful for you.
Just my 2 cents.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2012, 07:18:53 AM »
I've noticed at my bank (one of the biggies) I can't withdraw $200 without getting $50 bills.  They give you different options (all 50s, one or two 50s) but they pretty much force you to take a $50 bill, which is a pain when you try to use it other than at the grocery store.

I would go with $20s, but skip any $10 bills since you can just use two $5 bills for the same purpose with more flexibility.

I would be wary of carrying money in a pill container since a lot of bad guys looking to steal your money are also looking to steal meds.

endurance

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 01:21:17 PM »
I just saw a brilliant hack.  Using an empty Chapstick container to store several rolled up bills.  Seriously, no one would ever steal someone else's chapstick, that's just gross.

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 01:35:02 PM »
The bills should be used but clean, untorn and unmarked so as to avoid that "just printed" look and feel while still working in vending machine and self-serve checkout bill suckers.

That's a great point Special K, especially if you're trying to get somebody to accept a larger denomination.

I just saw a brilliant hack.  Using an empty Chapstick container to store several rolled up bills.  Seriously, no one would ever steal someone else's chapstick, that's just gross.

That's a cool idea too, especially for my BOB.

If I could only fit one bill, I'd pick the $50. Most places seem to accept them (they might want to use the test pen first) but they loathe $100 bills.

Has anybody used a money belt (the actual normal belts with a zipper, not the big pouch things)? I saw one at the army surplus store last week and it could solve the limited capacity issue. Plus, you'd never lose it... unless you lost your pants.  :o

endurance

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 01:57:29 PM »

Has anybody used a money belt (the actual normal belts with a zipper, not the big pouch things)? I saw one at the army surplus store last week and it could solve the limited capacity issue. Plus, you'd never lose it... unless you lost your pants.  :o
I really like Bull Hide Belts.  They are not cheap, but I've had one since 2009, wear it almost every day, and it still looks great.  It's double layer leather, so it's rigid enough to make a great gun belt, too.  It will hold up to 18 bills according to the website, but my experience is that it works a lot better with no more than 12 bills (otherwise it becomes stiff).

Offline Mortie

• Prepper
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 02:25:31 PM »
I took a look on Amazon for keyring pill containers, and there is a common theme in the product descriptions of using them to carry extra cash. Makes them less desirable for that purpose, in my opinion.

Offline BillP38

• Prepper
  • Gardening is cheaper than Therapy & you get Tomato
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 03:26:03 PM »
  I wear boots and have had success wrapping a few bills in plastic wrap & taping them to the inside of the boot just behind my calf. With cowboy boots you don't have to unlace, just pull up your pants leg.
  I would think you could also carry a small folded map of your escape routs and a flash drive with any vital info on it as well.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 04:04:27 PM »

Don't be so sure....I had my purse stolen once (hubby was supposed to be watching it while I tended our toddlers and it was later found in the waste basket in women's restroom), and both the Chapstick and a tube of lipstick were taken along with a pack of gum and my cell phone.  However the thief left my daughter's asthma inhaler (thank goodness!).  And as an added blessing, my wallet wasn't in it at the time my purse was taken.  Turned out that one of the older kids had gotten into my purse looking for some gum right before we got out to go into the building and had accidentally knocked my wallet out of my purse and into the floorboard without realizing it. It was only when we got back to the vehicle and I was buckling the toddlers in their car seats, that I happened to see it.  Talk about being relieved!

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2013, 04:07:01 PM »
And as an added blessing, my wallet wasn't in it at the time my purse was taken.  Turned out that one of the older kids had gotten into my purse looking for some gum right before we got out to go into the building and had accidentally knocked my wallet out of my purse and into the floorboard without realizing it.

Wow!

Offline hd45hunt

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 09:26:10 PM »
As a general rule, I always carry a spare hundred in my wallet (sometimes a c-note, sometimes other denom) folded up and buried in the pictures/credit cards.  That way it's not readily available/easily spent, but it has come in handy a time or two (most recently I needed to put a deposit down on an item I knew wouldn't last long and  remembered my stash).  As for the container in question, is it possible to fit a 20, 10 and 5 together in it?  That would give a little more versatility.