Author Topic: Carrying extra cash  (Read 19884 times)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Carrying extra cash
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2013, 06:47:23 PM »
I really like Bull Hide Belts.  They are not cheap, but I've had one since 2009, wear it almost every day, and it still looks great.  It's double layer leather, so it's rigid enough to make a great gun belt, too.  It will hold up to 18 bills according to the website, but my experience is that it works a lot better with no more than 12 bills (otherwise it becomes stiff).
Thanks for that link.  I'm going to look into them.  I need a new belt anyway, might as well be a good one.

If I could only fit one bill, I'd pick the $50. Most places seem to accept them (they might want to use the test pen first) but they loathe $100 bills.
That's not my experience.  I find that if a place won't accept a certain denomination is has always been nothing bigger than a $20.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2013, 07:25:23 PM »
Besides what I keep "on me", I keep a roll of 20s in my trunk; there all are sorts of ways to hide them in plain sight pretty easily.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2013, 10:53:05 PM »
Besides what I keep "on me", I keep a roll of 20s in my trunk; there all are sorts of ways to hide them in plain sight pretty easily.
i told you to quite leaving them rolled up in your ashtray like that.. sigh...

Offline Dollarbill

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2013, 06:52:21 PM »
Last night after I read this thread I got to looking at my belt for a way to carry extra cash. On my belt, the buckle and loop are held all in place by snaps where the belt folds back on itself. I folded a $50 down to about 1" x 1/2", unsnapped the belt and fit the $50 between the belt and the loop. Now that I have worn the belt a full day there is now way to tell I have cash stashed in my belt. The bill is kept from falling out by the loop and it can't move to the side because of the snaps. Obviously this wont work on every belt but I think it will work for a lot of guys.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2013, 08:06:38 PM »
i told you to quite leaving them rolled up in your ashtray like that.. sigh...

I haven't had anything rolled up in my ashtray in 35 years, and those thieving bastidges at the car wash stole them then........

Offline Giff Sheriff

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2015, 06:29:54 AM »
another thing to consider with backup cash is, what will it take. I'll explain. should y0u be in a situation where you may need to buy the assistance of someone else, a $20 just won't do it. Or say your in another  country and need to pay a fine to local police officer, again a $20 won't work. maybe your running through a village or a town and need to go out a shop owners back door or need him/her to hide you, $50 or $100 is going to get you a lot further than $20.

Also in these businesses that don't want big bills, it depends on what your buying? example, I want $37.50 worth of gas, do you think they will take a $50? Just probably stating the obvious but still I think it worth mentioning ;)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2015, 04:22:05 PM »
Giff, while I agree there can be times like you describe.  However, I like to be prepared first for the most likely situations.  There's a much smaller chance of me needing to sneak out a merchant's back door than me losing my wallet and needing gas. 

Are there times like you describe?  I hope not, but it is possible.  For those times, I hope I do have my wallet or money belt with "better" preps for this sort thing.  But for EDC, there's the capsule on my keys, which are always in my pocket.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2015, 06:05:45 PM »
I don't have a wife,so my money rides in my pocket with a few dollars in my toss wallet for when I am asked for a loan or robbed.
I usually just carry the real stuff in a thin wallet.

Wallet for front pocket:

http://www.gofastandlight.com/Front-Pocket-Wallet-Special-Cut-Shape/productinfo/CL-R-WAL/

Offline CandyGram4Mongo

• Prepper
  • Home on the range.
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2016, 07:42:18 AM »
I wear a Gerber money/survival belt except when I'm wearing a suit:
http://www.gerbergear.com/Equipment/Accessories/Bear-Grylls-Survival-Belt_31-001771

I can fit 6 bills in the zipped compartment & a couple of gold coins in the buckle compartment (in addition to the fishing/snare kit that's already in there).

2 equipment notes:
1) I broke a couple of the zippers before I learned to gently remove my cellphone carrier w/out snagging it on the zipper.  Have had my current belt for 2 yrs after I started to be more careful w/the phone carrier.
2) I sewed on some Velcro to keep the belt from slipping/loosening.  Sewing the Velcro was very easy since the belt is nylon.

Offline libertydefense

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2016, 03:04:52 PM »
I put a $20 bill in everyone in my family's cell phone case.

We use & replace them frequently ;)

A friend is designing ultra small lock-picks and they also fit behind my cell phone case. TMP

simple...yet powerful.

T

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2016, 05:25:01 PM »
I put a $20 bill in everyone in my family's cell phone case.

We use & replace them frequently ;)

A friend is designing ultra small lock-picks and they also fit behind my cell phone case. TMP

simple...yet powerful.

T

Maybe there is room for one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/SurvivalCard-Credit-Emergency-Fishing-Needles/dp/B01FF2UZXE/ref=sr_1_4?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1467415275&sr=1-4&keywords=survival+card+tool

or this one...

https://www.amazon.com/Readyman-Fishermans-Survival-Card/dp/B019R2SO0O/ref=sr_1_17?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1467415275&sr=1-17&keywords=survival+card+tool

I understand that a lock pick tool is in the planning stages.