Author Topic: Ruger Takedown 10/22  (Read 5971 times)

Offline occidentailis

• Prepper
Ruger Takedown 10/22
« on: November 01, 2012, 11:05:08 PM »
Picked up a Ruger 10/22 a while ago mounted a fixed 4x power scope on it.  I am finding a considerable change in point of impact at 25 yards depending on position of support hand.  Is anyone else having similar problems?

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Ruger Takedown 10/22
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 03:10:20 PM »
I've not seen that on mine. 

Are you using a sling?  If so, are you really reefing it down?

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 11:18:55 AM »
I just mounted a 4X scope on mine. My problem was the mount came loose. I find this later at home.

I just purchase some lock tight blue and will apply to the rings tonight. The next chance I have at the range will be Thursday or Friday (taking some vacation time!).

Offline kckndrgn

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Ryans Turnings
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 01:47:56 PM »
No issues with POI on mine, and I've taken several squirrel with it this fall.  Then again, I'm using iron sights.
Do you still have the problem when using irons?  If not, use a different scope, see if there is something off with the scope or mounts as others have said.

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 03:46:21 PM »
I bought the 10/22 Takedown for Appleseed with my son. I tried it with a EOTech 512 and a Trijicon AccuPoint 1-4 and had poor results. I was using Blazer ammo from matching production runs. I attended two Appleseeds using this configuration and had the following AQT results.

167   6/16/2012
177   6/17/2012
167   6/17/2012
91   6/17/2012
144   6/17/2012
153   6/17/2012
146   6/17/2012
147   7/28/2012
113   7/29/2012
103   7/29/2012
89   7/29/2012
112   7/29/2012

I assumed that the poor results were due to my flawed technique. Over the weekend I attended the Appleseed event in Lapeer Michigan and the Shoot Boss wanted me to try his rifle, so (having coachable) I did. I used the loaner for all three AQTs on Saturday and my scores were 224, 228 and 219. I now believe that the prior poor results are some combination of ammo and rifle design.

Please consider the additional information. My 11 year old son, used my 10/22 Takedown on Saturday while I was using the loaner. My son was shooting "designated sniper" (a child shooting off sandbags without sling) and had the scores of 98, 67 and 63. After my revelation (actually the credit goes to the Superheat for having me try his super-awesome loaner), we put my son on a loaner youth 10/22 on Sunday and his score jumped to 235 even with the Blazer Ammo.

My 10/22 Takedown had poor results with two different optics and while being shot slung (me) and off a sandbag (son). I am clinging to the hope that the rifle just hates the Blazer Ammo, I will report the results as soon as I get to the range with some different brands of ammo for the test. My plan is to sandbag the rifle and try different ammo and see what happens.

I just got off the phone with Ruger and they suggested that I try the CCI Mini-mag because that is what they used at the factory and told me that their tests showed no significant decrease in performance from the standard 10/22.

Offline BattleCatPrepper

• Prepper
  • exit the rat race ASAP!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 05:28:53 PM »
I just purchases mine and have not been able to get out and test it, but I will let you know what I find when I do.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 05:29:09 PM »
I bought the 10/22 Takedown for Appleseed with my son. I tried it with a EOTech 512 and a Trijicon AccuPoint 1-4 and had poor results. I was using Blazer ammo from matching production runs. I attended two Appleseeds using this configuration and had the following AQT results.

I assumed that the poor results were due to my flawed technique. Over the weekend I attended the Appleseed event in Lapeer Michigan and the Shoot Boss wanted me to try his rifle, so (having coachable) I did. I used the loaner for all three AQTs on Saturday and my scores were 224, 228 and 219. I now believe that the prior poor results are some combination of ammo and rifle design.

I just got off the phone with Ruger and they suggested that I try the CCI Mini-mag because that is what they used at the factory and told me that their tests showed no significant decrease in performance from the standard 10/22.

could be optics / sites, cheek weld to stock, quality of rifle, and ammo.

So congrats on passing the 210 score and getting the rifleman badge.

So what rifle / sites / ammo did you use?

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 02:16:07 PM »
Be sure that you set the nut on the receiver properly too. If it is not right, it will not hold the barrel in alignment with the scope. To do this, back the nut (lined knob on the receiver where the forend attaches) off a turn or so, then, with the barrel in place, tighten it as far as you can, remove the barrel, and tighten it 2 more clicks. Then reattach the barrel and try again. If the nut is not tight enough, you will have wobble between the two parts, and it will never hold zero.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 05:50:42 PM »
Be sure that you set the nut on the receiver properly too. If it is not right, it will not hold the barrel in alignment with the scope. To do this, back the nut (lined knob on the receiver where the forend attaches) off a turn or so, then, with the barrel in place, tighten it as far as you can, remove the barrel, and tighten it 2 more clicks. Then reattach the barrel and try again. If the nut is not tight enough, you will have wobble between the two parts, and it will never hold zero.
Thanks for this. I think this was part of my problem zeroing my 10/22 Takedown. I tried to tighten the nut after the barrel was attached. That does not work.

Frankly, Ruger does a horrible job with its instructions. Their manuals don't included the takedown and finding information on the takedown is very hard.

I am also finding that other manuals are not good. This forum and the internet in general have taught me so much stuff left out of the manuals.

Offline Winston Smith

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 09:35:55 PM »
Just got a 10-22 TD for me, and another one of the U.S. Shooting editions for the GF's Xmas(ssshhhh!!!) and I;ll definitely be using that advice on adjusting the nut.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 10:33:04 PM »
Now you guys know why I've designed my own version of the takedown 10/22.  Hopefully it will come to market in 2013.  Fingers crossed!

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 06:28:22 PM »
could be optics / sites, cheek weld to stock, quality of rifle, and ammo.

So congrats on passing the 210 score and getting the rifleman badge.

So what rifle / sites / ammo did you use?

I still haven't been to the range to try different ammo, so I am hoping that was the problem.

I used Superheat's Rifleman Maker. I don't know all the specs, but it was Hogue stock, stainless .92 barrel, I believe the scope was a Bushmaster??? and he had me shoot CCI Mini Mags. Maybe the rifle is like feather for Dumbo (pun intended), but the scores are what the score are.