Author Topic: Did I Can this Correctly?  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Apricaught

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Did I Can this Correctly?
« on: August 15, 2013, 06:20:25 PM »
Summary: I water-bath canned a freezer recipe.  Will I die?

My Bell Blue Book Guide to Preserving (2012) had a recipe for lemon curd and specified that it was intended to be stored in the freezer.  Instead I hot-pack-water-bath-canned it.

Justification: the recipe uses way sugar and way lemon juice, causing it to be (of course) way acidic.  But it also contains egg yolks and butter.  I tasted some of the remainders in the pot, and it is definitely acidic -- much more so than jam.

I cooked it on the stove until it jelled (just like jam) and then I hot-packed it and water-bathed it for 15 minutes.  Who knows if it is still lemon curd at this stage, considering the extra heat from processing.

Other question: I over-estimated the number of jars I would need, and had two jars/rings/lids left over.  It it okay to use a lid that had been heated before, but not actually used?

Thanks.
and then we decided that all the candidates should wear balloon-animal hats

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Did I Can this Correctly?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 06:47:44 PM »
Justification: the recipe uses way sugar and way lemon juice, causing it to be (of course) way acidic.  But it also contains egg yolks and butter.  I tasted some of the remainders in the pot, and it is definitely acidic -- much more so than jam.

I would keep it in the fridge and use ASAP. For a second opinion call your Extension service food preservation hotline. Usually in the blue pages in the phone book. If you get stuck, look for 4-H youth services.

You might not die, but you could be in the bathroom for a fair bit of time, you might rather be doing something funner.  :-\

Other question: I over-estimated the number of jars I would need, and had two jars/rings/lids left over.  It it okay to use a lid that had been heated before, but not actually used?

Yep. Save them for next time.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Apricaught

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 01:31:34 PM »
Thanks, Cedar.
I would keep it in the fridge and use ASAP. For a second opinion call your Extension service food preservation hotline. Usually in the blue pages in the phone book. If you get stuck, look for 4-H youth services.

You might not die, but you could be in the bathroom for a fair bit of time, you might rather be doing something funner.  :-\

Ugh, I can't find it in the phone book, and I can't find it online either.  Utah has lots of extensions; CA likes to talk about them but they never show up.  Oh well.

I have found a few recipes that use the same ingredients (in a somewhat different proportion) and are water-bath canned.  Which is nice to know, I guess.

Yep. Save them for next time.

Cedar
Thanks!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 01:36:25 PM »
Try this one Phone: 435.797.2200.  I call different state extensions all the time when I get something which stumps me, like 40 pounds of coconut milk.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Apricaught

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 01:38:25 PM »
Try this one Phone: 435.797.2200.  I call different state extensions all the time when I get something which stumps me, like 40 pounds of coconut milk.

Cedar

I can't seem to get anyone on the phone, but that's okay.  I'll just throw out what I have and make some more based on the canning-intended recipes I found online.

Thanks for going the extra mile to help me out -- I deeply appreciate it.