Author Topic: Solo Stove  (Read 5997 times)

Offline Hypax

• Prepper
  • Non si tamen ut
Solo Stove
« on: March 22, 2013, 07:21:29 PM »
Does anyone have experience with the solo stove ? I'm looking at it for BOB equip, interested in pros and cons.

Thanks,
Hypax

Offline Greg1109

• Prepper
  • Let's get Bendy!
Re: Solo Stove
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 06:37:23 AM »
If you're handy in the least, you could attempt to make one of these...

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=27176&startat=20

...and save yourself quite a few dollars.

endurance

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 08:25:30 AM »
I used to have a Sierra Stove, D cell powered wood stove.  Yes, wood stoves provide abundant heat with a readily available free fuel.  However, they can be hard to light and keep going when it's wet.  They also need constant tending.  They can never be used indoors, even near an open window like a butane stove.  All of your cookware will be coated in a sticky black coating that gets on everything in your pack.

For these reasons, I've moved to a fancy feast stove.  $0.49.

Offline Hypax

• Prepper
  • Non si tamen ut
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 10:43:03 AM »
Thanks for the input. the soot factor I did not think of. Is there a recommended alcohol content for the fancy feast style ? I have bottles as low as 50 % and up to 91 % locally.

endurance

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 08:45:12 AM »
Thanks for the input. the soot factor I did not think of. Is there a recommended alcohol content for the fancy feast style ? I have bottles as low as 50 % and up to 91 % locally.
The best is 91% or gas line drier (sold as Heet in convenience and automotive stores (yellow bottle)).  Heet definitely works the best.  The 70% stuff does not work well at all.  It will burn, but it's an anemic flame and produces a lot of condensation.

Offline FoolishCop

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 03:11:45 PM »
Don't forget since the stove is going to be used for a situation that you'll need your BOB, it may be a limiting factor that you may not be able to get Heet or denatured alcohol after your current supply runs out.

Rich

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 06:02:12 PM »
i picked up one of these for hiking. tri fuel. lightweight and small.
http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-sidewinder

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 06:32:33 PM »
[derail]

/derail]

sasmith0311

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 06:40:07 AM »
dont know about a solo stove but i use a coleman dual fuel camp stove and i love it uses white gas or gasoline. and if you need a carrying case it fits perfectly in a plastic 1lb folgers coffee can

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 07:20:37 AM »
The best is 91% or gas line drier (sold as Heet in convenience and automotive stores (yellow bottle)).  Heet definitely works the best.  The 70% stuff does not work well at all.  It will burn, but it's an anemic flame and produces a lot of condensation.
Walmart has bottles of 91% rubbing alcohol.  I haven't used it in a stove, but probably cheaper than Heet.

endurance

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 04:57:58 PM »
Walmart has bottles of 91% rubbing alcohol.  I haven't used it in a stove, but probably cheaper than Heet.
On my recent hike I opted to use Everclear.  Not the cheaper alternative, but I've never worked so hard to conserve fuel in my stove in my entire life (only to consume it later after mixing it with my sports drink). ;D

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 10:44:39 AM »
     I have also taken to carrying Everclear alcohol for my Fancy Feast burner. Its 95% pure alcohol with no denaturants or chemicals. I have also replaced the rubbing alcohol in all my first aid kits with Everclear. Besides being a higher percentage of alchohol, an added advantage is that it could be consumed or bartered. It's more expensive, primarily because of the taxes imposed, but I feel it's worth it for a multi-use item. Of course careful labeling of containers is a must!

Offline Cryptozoic

• Senior Survivalist
  • We have to help each other.
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 11:35:33 PM »
I prefer Coleman "dual fuel" one-burner stove.  Runs just fine on gasoline, which is available almost everywhere.