Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2016)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 383493 times)

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
Re: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2013, 07:12:08 PM »
I feel ya on the reloading stuff. I was stocking up on that about 4 mths prior to the tragedy. Trying to find that stuff now is near impossible.

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #181 on: January 14, 2013, 08:39:58 PM »
I feel ya on the reloading stuff. I was stocking up on that about 4 mths prior to the tragedy. Trying to find that stuff now is near impossible.

Yep, I bought enough reloading supplies for .223, to the detriment of .45 and 9mm.  I incorrectly figured that it would only be .223 that dried up.  For 9mm I'm scrod, for .45 I have plenty of primers and brass, but am short on projectiles.  Maybe time to start casting my own.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #182 on: January 14, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
I started casting for .38 special last night.  It was awkward at first, but after a few I got the hang of it. Made 160 usable 158gr SWC in 20 minutes.
Also, I did this in a cast iron cauldron on a table top propane grill.  Have less than $50 in it.

Lead was from eBay.  I got recycled range ignots for $1.25/lbs shipped.  To start off, I wanted clean lead with appropriate hardness.  I'll lube these up and load for plinking.  If got free lead, these would be nearly as cheap as .22lr

I have 3 jars of pistol powder, but only a few hundred non-magnum small pistol primers left :(

Offline tyeayo

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #183 on: January 14, 2013, 10:07:54 PM »
I have to .40 pistols, a 10/22 and a browning invector plus 12ga.

I have:

approx 800 rds of .40

approx. 1300 rds of .22

approx 120 rds of 12ga

I dunno why, but I haven't been shooting since early November and I am darn glad I haven't.  I live in Tacoma, WA and there is literally next to nothing in .40 and .22

I've check all the usual stores (wally world/sportsmans warehouse/cabellas/sportco/hal dozen or so local gun shops) and there is NOTHING left in .22 and .40 but high end self defense rounds.  Fortunately 12ga is still relatively plentiful, and around 80 of my 120 rds are slugs, but I need to stop wtocking up on the overpriced 20 round boxes of .40 and load up on all the shot shells i can find.

I am pretty nervous about this, I am 32, so didn't see much in the way of prior ammo shortages, but this has really got me nervous.  If ammo is still plentiful in your area, and you haven't stocked up, i would advise doing so.

On a side note, DHS came into our local Cabelas and dropped 25k on ar's, sig pistols, ammo and mags.....hmmm

Offline centraltx

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #184 on: January 15, 2013, 01:54:19 AM »
Great price (unless I'm missing something) on 9mm 147gr at sportsmans finest. Do the 500 round option (works out the same as the 1000, but ships feb 13th, instead of June). I've been afraid to go to the range with prices so high, but this seems like a decent price to make me feel comfortable going again.

$128 for a box of 500 doesn't sound too bad these days.

Let me know if I'm ignoring some fine print.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?p=WX2&i=12204

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #185 on: January 15, 2013, 02:43:31 AM »
Great price (unless I'm missing something) on 9mm 147gr at sportsmans finest. Do the 500 round option (works out the same as the 1000, but ships feb 13th, instead of June). I've been afraid to go to the range with prices so high, but this seems like a decent price to make me feel comfortable going again.

$128 for a box of 500 doesn't sound too bad these days.

Let me know if I'm ignoring some fine print.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?p=WX2&i=12204

It looks like a fantastic price.  They even have a variety of bulk and target .22LR ammo available for order.  Nice find!!

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #186 on: January 15, 2013, 03:25:39 AM »
I stopped in to the local small family run gun store this past friday. He was in the process of selling his next to last ar-15, a junky looking no name for $1495.95. He has 1 more no name ar, a hk33 clone, and an ak pistol, and thats it. He also said he had a guy lay $5400 cash on the table wanting a bushmaster, which he couldnt provide. He has a few boxes of 223 left, but thats it, as far as semi-auto rifle ammo was concerned. He still has a dozen or so p-mags, he doesnt keep his magazines out, they are in the back and you have to ask.

I was there talking and helping for about 4 hours, and they fielded no less than 30 phone calls asking about magazines. He thought it was odd that 22lr was flying off the shelves, at 34.95 a brick for remington thunderbolts. He says since the crazyness started he has sold more 22, than he has in the last 5 years combined.

I haven't bought much of anything during the rush, having previously bought my semi auto rifles, pistols, and more magazines and I'll probably be able use in my lifetime, and laid in a comfortable supply of ammo for the same. I am however considering having him order me 1 of those 10/22 take down rifles,  and I'm seriously considering 1 of those Rossi Puma 92 lever action carbines in 45 colt.

endurance

« Reply #187 on: January 15, 2013, 04:02:27 AM »
The  thing you're missing is that they don't actually have it in stock.  They're currently saying they'll ship in mid-February... assuming they actually get the shipment in.  I'm not saying they won't, but like many of the others, if they don't have it in stock, they're guessing on when they will.  Time will tell if they're right or wrong on their estimate.  I'll find out soon, as I have some on order from Cabelas that promised to ship by January 23... we'll see...

Regarding reloading and lead casting, I think it's the way forward.  Obviously some calibers lend themselves to it better than others and I think my future purchases will focus on those.  It's just one more thing that makes the .30 carbine seem like the AR of the future. 

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
« Reply #188 on: January 15, 2013, 04:15:38 AM »
Yep, I bought enough reloading supplies for .223, to the detriment of .45 and 9mm.  I incorrectly figured that it would only be .223 that dried up.  For 9mm I'm scrod, for .45 I have plenty of primers and brass, but am short on projectiles.  Maybe time to start casting my own.

I stopped in one of the ranges yesterday, and they were low on powder and casings, but were DEEP in bulk 9mm, .40, & .45 bullets.  Look to be for plinking, but suitable for my needs.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #189 on: January 15, 2013, 04:22:36 AM »
Oh why does payday have to be on Friday?   :'(

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #190 on: January 15, 2013, 05:44:35 AM »
I stopped in one of the ranges yesterday, and they were low on powder and casings, but were DEEP in bulk 9mm, .40, & .45 bullets.  Look to be for plinking, but suitable for my needs.

why for plinking? is the ammo low grade and not accurate?

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
« Reply #191 on: January 15, 2013, 12:31:52 PM »
why for plinking? is the ammo low grade and not accurate?

Well... it's not in the class with Nossler or Hornady....

They are a cast bullet made in Ohio by Vance Mfg.  No internet presence except a company profile, but available at one shop local and some gun shows.  I've read comments on other boards that they are accurate enough.... I didn't intend to be disparaging in my remarks.... only that it's suitable for my intentions.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #192 on: January 15, 2013, 12:45:07 PM »
Last Friday I dropped by Lebaron, a medium sized sporting goods chain with several stores across Eastern Canada.

1000 CCI small pistol primers were still available for the regulare sub $30 price, so I picked up 2000 plus three or four hundred large pistol primers for the Norc 1911 clone. I also got two pounds of Win 231, which should suffice for my needs (someone gave me 1000 9mm bullets a year ago) but they were out of 9mm dies! .22LR was still available in bricks at okay prices,and while I didn't get any that day will certainly keep adding bricks each time I visit a store in the near future.

I'll try getting the dies from a Southern Ontario dealer later today and maybe a .45ACP mold or a couple hundred jacketed .45ACP bullets to load via my Lee Loader. Despite being nowhere near as bad as the panic in the US, it doesn't look as though things will be replaced as they sell out here anytime soon, unless they come from another country than the US. A Canadian dealer just advertised 1600 rounds of Norc .223 for $400 plus 13% tax and shipping, and we'll still be getting Russian and Chinese SKSs, CZ58 variants and various Norinco pistols plus their popular M14 clone. From what I'm gathering though, they are selling out pretty quickly as they arrive from overseas.

We're watching with trepidation up North and hoping the push back will be enough to stop the worst of the Obama agenda. I just joined your NRA yesterday, and they say that they're getting 10 000 new members a day and expect to break the 5 milliion member mark within the next few months.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #193 on: January 17, 2013, 06:32:10 PM »
I checked bulkammo.com this evening to see they had both .223 and 9 mm in stock. The .223 was >$1 a round so I only I placed an order for 200 each. I checked back about 30 minute later and the 80X50 of .223 that they had available was gone.

No .223 or 9 mm at Academy or Bass Pro Shop.

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #194 on: January 18, 2013, 01:46:18 AM »
We have been out of 223 and 5.56 for a week, and that's only because we had a pretty good stock of the expensive stuff, and steel cased stuff that people were reluctant to buy.  No order fulfillment in sight on that.  Today we ran dry on 9mm defensive rounds, and .40 fmj.  Up until yesterday, we still had a few bricks of .22, and by ALL accounts, we were the only place in town with any at all.  Those are gone, just a little bit of match grade, shorts, and stingers left.  .380 is doing ok, .45 is running low, although we just got a few boxes of HPs, which we were out of. 

ARs are pretty much non-existent, except for ones coming in on consignment.  We have a decent selection of accessories still.  We got a handful of LPKs. Only ones around as we hear.  Those won't last long at $150!  We almost spend more time searching for product than selling.  Other shops are soon to fall from what we hear.  We may come out of this better off, but I still don't like it.   

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #195 on: January 18, 2013, 02:28:56 AM »
How many LPK's do you have?  PM me, I'd be interested.

On a brighter note, I feel more comfortable now if there was a zombie apocalypse.  Just think, our nation is probably the most ready than it has ever been for one.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
« Reply #196 on: January 18, 2013, 04:15:01 AM »
I went into a shop the other day and they were guarding empty glass cases and a few shotguns.  They are normally well stocked and busy..... hopefully they are able to budget well and keep the doors open until stock starts flowing again.... all the local shops offers something unique and I would hate to see any of them shutter their doors.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #197 on: January 18, 2013, 05:21:43 AM »
When people report in on ammo availability (or lack thereof), let us know what part of the country you're in.  I'm seeing wide variances by region. 

For me in the Seattle area, there is a decent amount of common pistol ammo: 9, 40, 380.  But no 5.56/.223 and very little 22LR.  But, I gotta say, there is more during the second Obama scare of 2012-2013 than the first one of 2008-2009.  I think that's because after the first scare the ammo makers ramped up production quite a bit. 

Assuming no further gun control measures, I think shelves could be restocked in a year or so.  I can see 22LR coming back in about the summer.  It will be longer for 5.56./.223 because I think the owners of the estimated 3.75 million ARs that were sold since 2008 are stocking up for... well, you know.  Once you've seen a bare shelf of ammo, you never forget it and won't let your supplies get low again.  That's what happened to me.  People who used to have "a couple of boxes" of 5.56/.223 on hand will now realize they need "a couple of cases" and will buy up the restocked supplies of it as it comes out. 

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #198 on: January 18, 2013, 05:29:39 AM »
That especially applied to my wife.  She used to buy .22lr bricks for around $6-8 back in the day.  When she saw it shoot up to $18-20 it was no longer an issue for me to buy as much of any ammo whenever I wanted.  Now I have to "inform" her that I'm buying some .50bmg API rounds today.  Heehee.

Offline frjoeb

• Survivor
  • Learning the common sense of Grandma and Grandpa
    • St. Augustine Outdoorsman
« Reply #199 on: January 18, 2013, 06:52:44 AM »
Heavy G is right.  Never forget the look of empty shelves. 

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #200 on: January 18, 2013, 08:59:28 AM »
OK...my information is from the Houston area, most recently Academy and Bass Pro Shop in south Houston (Pearland).

-Shotgun shells are in good supply.
-You can get 30-06 or 30-08, but I have neither. Same for 7 mm, 30-30. I have no idea if it is the high dollar stuff.
-No .223, no 9 mm (range or defensive). There is 7.62 available, but that does me no good.
-I've seen .357 and .38 available, but I need neither. The next time, I may pick up some .357 just in case.
-No .22 available. Thankfully, I have "lots".
-I've not seen an AR for sale since right around Thanksgiving.

And yes, I will never forget the look of bare ammo shelves. That caused me to buy 200 X .223 and 200 X 9 mm rounds at the inflated prices when I saw it. It really does matter at this point until I get to my minimum stocking levels.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #201 on: January 18, 2013, 09:30:29 AM »
all the local shops offers something unique and I would hate to see any of them shutter their doors.

I spoke to two dealers last month about this.  They confirmed what I suspected.  The smaller shops are going to go out of business.  There's not much they can do about it.  If they can not get supplies from the manufacturers, they can not make any money.  The "good times" that they had in December when people were standing in line to buy a gun wasn't enough to financially see them through this drought.  Shops that have only been in business for 8 or fewer years probably do not have enough cash (savings) to keep their doors open over the next 9-12 months.

Here along the front range, 90% of the pistol calibers and all of the 5.56 are bare and have been bare for a few weeks now.  A few days ago, I saw a few boxes of .380.  Even some of the other rifle calibers are looking low now.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #202 on: January 18, 2013, 10:01:19 AM »
Was just on midway usa's website. Was on there figuring on ordering reloading supplies for my leverguns, basically to reduce the burden on my semi-autos, so i was going to order some brass for 30-30, 45-70, and 45 colt, they are out of 30-30 brass, and wouldn't even accept a back order.

Offline mgw44

• Prepper
« Reply #203 on: January 18, 2013, 11:13:45 AM »
I've been around a lot of stores in Grand Rapids, Michigan.  Today was the first day this year that I found any .22lr >50 round boxes. Dick's sporting goods got a shipment of Remington 525 ct hollow points and the guys at the counter said the 10 boxes would be gone by end of day.  I saw one small box of .223.  Plenty of shot gun ammo and plenty of large caliber rifle ammo.  9mm was out.  It seems hangun ammo is gone as well as .223.  I was shocked the first time I went to Meijer (think nicer Michigan Wal-Mart) and the ammo case was completely empty.

mgw44.   

Offline frjoeb

• Survivor
  • Learning the common sense of Grandma and Grandpa
    • St. Augustine Outdoorsman
« Reply #204 on: January 18, 2013, 12:26:59 PM »
In North Florida...

Wal-Mart had 10 boxes of 9mm last week.  But by the time I got there they were sold out.  The sporting goods guy told me the best time to check at their stores is 6-7am. 

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #205 on: January 18, 2013, 02:29:41 PM »
I checked bulkammo.com this evening to see they had both .223 and 9 mm in stock. The .223 was >$1 a round so I only I placed an order for 200 each. I checked back about 30 minute later and the 80X50 of .223 that they had available was gone.

No .223 or 9 mm at Academy or Bass Pro Shop.

I wrongly reported the .223 price. It was $0.91 per round not >$1 per round. 

It is ".223 Ammo by Fiocchi - 62gr FMJBT. "

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #206 on: January 18, 2013, 02:37:14 PM »
Add sales tax and you are almost at a buck.

endurance

« Reply #207 on: January 18, 2013, 03:03:44 PM »
Add sales tax and you are almost at a buck.
And to think I've paid $350/1k within the last 12 months for 5.56 and a couple years ago paid $420/1,000 .308.

Offline BeachPete

• Prepper
« Reply #208 on: January 18, 2013, 03:18:57 PM »
There is literally nothing around me in South Carolina.  I was able to pick up a few boxes of 9mm at Walmart about a week ago, but ever since then... nothing.  The sporting goods manager also said Walmart Corporate is not accepting any new store orders, only pre-existing orders will be filled when available.  He didn't say they were going to stop selling ammo, just going to wait until the supply catches up.

I've got enough stored up to take me a long while, but boy do I hate breaking into the storage.

On a bright note I was able to pick up a case of 5.45x39 that AIMsurplus had for the 30 minutes it was available.

Endurance, I know where you are coming from.  I remember Natchez having M193 for $299/1000 last spring... and I only bought 1 case  :(

Now that a ban looks less likely in the next 90 days I hope supply will start catching up.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #209 on: January 18, 2013, 03:59:26 PM »
Unless you were down to your last magazine and/or the zombies were coming, why would you pay $1/rnd ?

This morning I have a $400 repair bill for my truck.  Some meth head sawed off my exhaust pipes and stole my catalytic converter yesterday.  I mention this because I would have preferred 400 rounds of .223 and my truck still running as usual.