Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2016)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 397223 times)

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Re: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #210 on: January 18, 2013, 04:17:06 PM »
That stinks Smurf.  I wouldn't pay that much for .223.  Maybe for match grade .308, but not plinking.223.

inbox485

« Reply #211 on: January 18, 2013, 04:39:30 PM »
If the concern is training ammo, then I totally get it. If you have some class you want to take, but you can't because ammo just isn't there or it costs 2-3 times as much and you can't afford it, that sucks.

But for preparedness, I'm really wondering about some of the stockpiling going on. I try to keep good solid training inventories, because I like to go shooting. But for defense or hunting ammo, I just don't see the need for large reserves. How many deer or zombies does one guy think they are going to shoot?

So I get the target ammo supply drying up during a panic buy, but what is driving the premium ammo market like this?

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #212 on: January 18, 2013, 04:45:41 PM »
So I get the target ammo supply drying up during a panic buy, but what is driving the premium ammo market like this?

Panic?  With all the target ammo in short supply, panic buyers buy what ever at any cost, thus why the really nice stuff is gone too.  JMHO

d3nni5

« Reply #213 on: January 18, 2013, 04:47:19 PM »
Another wasted trip to my local stores today in northern WV.   The guy there said that everytime they get something in, it is bought within the hour.   Only handgun stuff on the shelf was .380 and a few .40SW.   I got a crappy box of Blazer .38 specials (last box of 50) and the only .357 mag (i like it Hornady Critical Defense) but too was the last box (but I hate shooting expensive ammo at the range).

Plenty of shotgun shells, some 30-06, .270, 7mm.   Several 7.62x54mm ammocans.   That was about it.

All I want to do is go practice at the range.   Honestly, it is depressing that you can't really practice.   I got what I want for a minimum reserve, but damn, would be nice to get out and have a little fun and keep the rust off.

inbox485

« Reply #214 on: January 18, 2013, 05:02:22 PM »
Panic?  With all the target ammo in short supply, panic buyers buy what ever at any cost, thus why the really nice stuff is gone too.  JMHO

I guess. IDK. I bought what I could afford in October and a bit more in November when other funds freed up. I'll do what training I can with what I have, and more than likely I'll be reloading or just sitting idle if prices / supplies don't correct before then.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #215 on: January 18, 2013, 05:56:45 PM »
Add sales tax and you are almost at a buck.
No tax and the shipping was almost a wash with the TSP discount.

But, it used to be $400 a 1000, so I am under no illusion I got a deal. 

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #216 on: January 18, 2013, 06:00:39 PM »
Unless you were down to your last magazine and/or the zombies were coming, why would you pay $1/rnd ?

This morning I have a $400 repair bill for my truck.  Some meth head sawed off my exhaust pipes and stole my catalytic converter yesterday.  I mention this because I would have preferred 400 rounds of .223 and my truck still running as usual.

My situation is such that I bought a new AR in November, shot it once and only have 240 rounds of .223 available. I hate to be in the situation that the SHTF and I have no AR. Paranoid? Yep. But I have the cash and I want (not need) 500 rounds minimum, 1500 max. 240 + 200 gets me close. ;-)

endurance

« Reply #217 on: January 18, 2013, 06:11:33 PM »
I try to take one combat shooting class a year to keep some modicum of proficiency.  Usually classes are about $600 plus ammo and you go through about 600 rounds in a two day class.  So rather than spend $1200 on a class this year, I opted for a force on force class that's using airsoft.  There's no doubt that current ammo prices played a significant role in my decision making.

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #218 on: January 18, 2013, 06:28:53 PM »
Wandered into the local Big R today for some bait for ice fishing this weekend.  They had 500 rounds of .22LR on the shelf for 19.95.  Not too crazy bad.  I think there were 8 or 10 boxes.  No 223 or 308 to be found.  And cleaned out on a lot of unusual calibers too....lik 45-70.  <shrug>

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #219 on: January 18, 2013, 06:36:52 PM »
My situation is such that I bought a new AR in November, shot it once and only have 240 rounds of .223 available. I hate to be in the situation that the SHTF and I have no AR. Paranoid? Yep. But I have the cash and I want (not need) 500 rounds minimum, 1500 max. 240 + 200 gets me close. ;-)

Sounds reasonable.  Tough to be caught in that window of increased demand, but fortunately there are new owners of these firearms every month of every year!  Sorry this was your introduction to ownership. I shoot that much in one trip to the range. If that was all I had I would hold on to it, too!

If .22LR starts showing up before .223 ammo you might consider a conversion upper for .22LR so you can get range time with it at least.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #220 on: January 19, 2013, 06:17:04 AM »
Just commenting to keep tabs on the convo. 

endurance

« Reply #221 on: January 19, 2013, 08:15:15 AM »
Sounds reasonable.  Tough to be caught in that window of increased demand, but fortunately there are new owners of these firearms every month of every year!  Sorry this was your introduction to ownership. I shoot that much in one trip to the range. If that was all I had I would hold on to it, too!

If .22LR starts showing up before .223 ammo you might consider a conversion upper for .22LR so you can get range time with it at least.
Good points!  I hadn't even made the connection between the run on ARs and the shortage of 5.56 ammo, but if everybody that just bought their first AR or Mini14 wants just 1000 rounds this year that demand alone accounts for 50,000,000 additional rounds than is typical if just. 50,000 ARs were sold.  If a million new customers came on line that would mean you'd need a billion more rounds than normal.  Crazy math!

And I agree, get a stainless. 22 conversion kit (they're more reliable for some odd reason).

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #222 on: January 19, 2013, 03:43:13 PM »
It seems midwayusa is out of everything, basically, ammo related. Both loaded ammo and reloading components. I can't seem to find a single 30-30 or 45 colt case for sale online. And aparrently the US state department won't let anyone ship ammo or reloading components, including cases, from abroad.

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #223 on: January 19, 2013, 04:06:42 PM »
OK,i went to our local gun show today.(puyallup)
it opened at 8:00 AM.there was a line about 100yards long to get a ticket to enter. members were allowed to go thru check in, then held before the doors opened up. about 300 people waiting.
doors opened some people ran to the ammo sellers. one had people line up to buy cases out the door 30 foot long line.
just did a quick walk buy just to see what they had.it looked about average for what they usually have at the show.
price's were running 4-5 dollars a box more than usual.
now that being said ar's are way over priced so are magazines.
I over herd one conversation a member sold his DPMS (that he paid 850$) for 2600$ nice investment. average was 1800$-2500$
glock magazines were running 40$ no mater what it was.
left after an hour and a half with two surplus ammo boxes for my Brother.
people were still lined up at the gate to get their entrance tickets.
reminded me of Christmas eve shopping. allota fear still out there. :crazy:

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
« Reply #224 on: January 19, 2013, 05:19:06 PM »
I went to the gun range today in Northern KY (Cincinnati Region), and guy at the register says, "I hope you brought your own ammo" (I had).  I looked at his shelves and they were bare.  After shooting, I was able to pick a few up a few more reloading supplies, but bullets and primers were non-existent.  Plenty of powder and cases though.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #225 on: January 19, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
Just placed an order with BulkAmmo.com for a few cases of Federal .40 JHP for $0.55/rnd with shipping.  That's significantly less than the Federal 9mm JHP price.  The Prvi Partisan .308 was going for $25.25 per box of 20.  That's a 236% increase over the regular price a year ago, good thing I stocked up then.

Tonight, there was a piece on the local news showing people lined up around the block for a special bulk ammo sale event at an LA range.  The 9mm and .223 disappeared well before the potential customers did.  However, there were stacks of Federal .40 FMJ cases still there at the end of the day. 

Offline Truman

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #226 on: January 19, 2013, 08:36:36 PM »
I am in Lake County Florida, nothing at the local walmart, not 2lr no  223, no 9mm.  I use two calibers 9MM and 22LR the local gun shop, which has been around for over 100 years is out of 9MM and all I could get in 22lr was a 555 box of  Winchester Copper-Plated Hollow Point for $50.00, I was almost out of 22lr so I picked it up. I am totally out of 9 mm, 

Offline Prep pal

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #227 on: January 19, 2013, 08:53:42 PM »
Well, here in the good ol' land of liberals, unless you shoot .38 special you can't find squat! AND I MEAN IT!!!
.223/5.56 is almost impossible to find and when you do find it they are absolutely gouging.
9mm, 7.62x39, and 308,,,, you have a better chance of seeing GOD at Walmart.
.22, yeah, right. ( .22 magnum not too bad to find though).
Even 30/06 is like maybe a box or two here and there but don't even think you are gonna find more than that at any one place.

It's downright scary. I mean SCARY!
No .357 magnum or sig
No .44 magnum or special
A little 30/30
 Not even much for shotgun shells unless you want bird shot/ target loads. Forget 00buck or slugs.

Like I said, IF you are lucky enough to find anything, they're gouging you.

$10 for 100 CCI MINI MAGS
$20 for 20 .223/5.56
$35 for the cheap crap .308, 30/06,30/30,.270,.243 etc...

Like I said thats IF you are lucky enough to stumble across a stor that just got a few cs. Of ammo in.
You have to be there the day it comes in or it's gone the next day.

I can't say it enough Im not joking or embellishing, it's flat out scary.

nelson96

« Reply #228 on: January 19, 2013, 09:07:31 PM »
Is it where I live, or maybe just me, but Walmart is the last place I go to look for ammo.  In fact, I've only ever looked there when I was already there for something else.  Is Walmart the best place to buy ammo for a lot of you folks?  The Walmart's in my area had squat for ammo before we had a supply issue.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #229 on: January 19, 2013, 09:20:01 PM »
Is it where I live, or maybe just me, but Walmart is the last place I go to look for ammo.  In fact, I've only ever looked there when I was already there for something else.  Is Walmart the best place to buy ammo for a lot of you folks?  The Walmart's in my area had squat for ammo before we had a supply issue.

by far the best prices. nobody else that cloee, at least 20 percent higher everywhere else.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #230 on: January 19, 2013, 09:28:38 PM »
Is Walmart the best place to buy ammo for a lot of you folks?  The Walmart's in my area had squat for ammo before we had a supply issue.

Here in California they do have pretty good prices and availability on common plain box ammo from the big manufacturers.  It takes forever to track someone down to open the case and complete the sale, though.

nelson96

« Reply #231 on: January 19, 2013, 09:52:58 PM »
by far the best prices. nobody else that cloee, at least 20 percent higher everywhere else.

Here in California they do have pretty good prices and availability on common plain box ammo from the big manufacturers.  It takes forever to track someone down to open the case and complete the sale, though.

I suppose I should check their pricing more frequently, but on my infrequent visits, I have not seen that to be the case here.  What a shame that a place like Walmart is the best place to go for something like this.

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #232 on: January 19, 2013, 10:33:03 PM »

For me it's about location. I can easily stop by one between home and work, so the most time added to my drive is waiting for someone to open the case. The nearest dedicated gun shops are 15+ minute drives. I try to stop in them whenever I am in that area, but it's not often.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #233 on: January 20, 2013, 12:00:14 AM »
I suppose I should check their pricing more frequently, but on my infrequent visits, I have not seen that to be the case here.  What a shame that a place like Walmart is the best place to go for something like this.

BiMart is really good for ammo.  With that said, I always wait until they are running a special in their mailer.  Find out when the specials come out.  I think it was every Monday.  Then just go in and grab a mailer from the counter or in one of the shopping carts.  If you wait until the weekend, the "ammo special" might be gone.  Of course, I haven't shopped at a BiMart in a couple years now.  They don't have them in Florida.

nelson96

« Reply #234 on: January 20, 2013, 12:10:01 AM »
BiMart is really good for ammo.  With that said, I always wait until they are running a special in their mailer.  Find out when the specials come out.  I think it was every Monday.  Then just go in and grab a mailer from the counter or in one of the shopping carts.  If you wait until the weekend, the "ammo special" might be gone.  Of course, I haven't shopped at a BiMart in a couple years now.  They don't have them in Florida.

Yes, Bi-Mart is a great place for ammo.  They too don't stock a lot of inventory though, unless they expect a run on sales due to a good sale.  But they can look at inventory of other branches and let you know where to go to fill the balance of your order.  I think they are limited to Oregon, Washington, and Idaho (with most of the locations in Oregon).

endurance

« Reply #235 on: January 20, 2013, 07:31:52 AM »
I went to a gunshow Saturday in Pueblo.  I saw some of the most ridiculous prices on guns I've ever seen.  H&K P7M13 for $3,000 used, $6,000 new in box; H&K SP89 used for $7,500!

No powder, only a handful of small rifles primers and going for $75-85/1,000.  I did see 7.62x51 battle packs for $0.75 per round.  That's the first time I've ever seen 7.62nato cheaper than 5.56 (which was $0.85-1.05).  Crazy stuff.  Still plenty of. 30 carbine for $20-23/50, which is up significantly, but still affordable and available.  Plenty of handgun ammo available except 9mm, which was soldout by several sellers.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #236 on: January 20, 2013, 09:43:04 AM »
Maybe .223 supply is starting to relax a little. Several batches of .223 have been on bulkammo.com over the last few days. it is $900 for a 1000, but at least they have something. I am not buying any more as my recent inventory plus the order arriving next week indicates I am at minimum stocking levels.

There is also 9 mm available, not just range ammo but JHP.

I am thinking of assembling some sort of bullet availability index from online sources. I've only bought from bulkammo.com a few times. In the past, I purchased from local sporting goods stores as the prices were about the same or less and there was no shipping. But, would there be any value to performing quantity/price tracking? If so, are there other popular on-line sellers such as luckygunner.com that I could look at?

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #237 on: January 20, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »

I am thinking of assembling some sort of bullet availability index from online sources.

Ugh...too much work. There is .223 available at Luckygunner...they even have some 30 round mags for $40. I am not buying at that price!

So, it looks like things are starting to loosen in the on-line bullet world. That is good news.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #238 on: January 20, 2013, 11:20:28 AM »
What's odd is that I can find more ammo selection at a reasonable price at local retail.  Maybe not Walmart or Cabelas, but gun shops and farm supply stores.  Coastl Farm and Ranch still had American Eagle .223 for $7/20pack last time I was in.  I never thought that was a "good" price, but previously would grab a couple whenever I was in there buying other supplies.

nelson96

« Reply #239 on: January 20, 2013, 11:48:13 AM »
Maybe .223 supply is starting to relax a little. Several batches of .223 have been on bulkammo.com over the last few days. it is $900 for a 1000, but at least they have something. I am not buying any more as my recent inventory plus the order arriving next week indicates I am at minimum stocking levels.

It might as well be unavailable at those prices. . . .  Just a thought, but I work for a manufacturer of goods.  We sell through distribution and set a cost to them that typically holds for 12 months (6 months at the least).  When we raise prices it is typically only to the point it reflects a 5-8% increase in profits and/or cost of raw material (which usually doesn't jump much, and we have our own contracts for).  The point I'm trying to make is that the increase is probably not relfective of the manufacturer but the greedy distributor's.  That said, when supply of ammo levels out, do business with the distributors whom didn't rape you when times were tough, otherwise we could see one of the benefits of competition go away (the current prices will be the new normal).