Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2016)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 391680 times)

endurance

Re: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #240 on: January 20, 2013, 12:33:30 PM »
It might as well be unavailable at those prices. . . .  Just a thought, but I work for a manufacturer of goods.  We sell through distribution and set a cost to them that typically holds for 12 months (6 months at the least).  When we raise prices it is typically only to the point it reflects a 5-8% increase in profits and/or cost of raw material (which usually doesn't jump much, and we have our own contracts for).  The point I'm trying to make is that the increase is probably not relfective of the manufacturer but the greedy distributor's.  That said, when supply of ammo levels out, do business with the distributors whom didn't rape you when times were tough, otherwise we could see one of the benefits of competition go away (the current prices will be the new normal).
Yep, I'd much rather do business with the handful of places that still have ammo because they put a cap on how much you could buy rather than trying to limit purchases by pricing me out of the market.

Offline 11 Bravo

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #241 on: January 20, 2013, 01:18:10 PM »
Nelson, WalMart's here in the Grand Rapids, MI area are great for ammo. Usually, availability is fantastic, and the prices can't be beaten, not even in bulk online.

Until now. I have been to, or called around to a half dozen of them in Grand Rapids, Hastings, Plainwell, etc. They are cleaned out and haven't been restocked in weeks.  Cascade Walmart had a few boxes of 525 round .22, and they all had 12 gauge but that's it. Haven't seen .223 in weeks.

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
« Reply #242 on: January 20, 2013, 07:58:29 PM »
Stopped into a local Walmart and Meijers tonight.  Only thing on the shelves were some shotgun loads with birdshot.  B-A-R-E!!

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #243 on: January 20, 2013, 08:48:53 PM »
I visited my shooting club in Ontario Canada less than an hour from the US border (Niagara Falls and Buffalo) and the store next to it still had some of everthing but I didn't check the prices and was told that gun club members have been picking up most of the 9mm and other popular calibres. The few prices I looked at were raised somewhat (a previousl $50 Glock mag is now $59) and I'm pretty sure that the ammo has gone up similarly. A tactical Remington 870 that I picked up for $460 before Christmas was listed on the rack as $599 plus 13% sales tax.

On a brighter note I still saw a CZ58 with folding stock for $699, a Kriss and Scorpion pistol (subgun?) and a complete polymer AR lower (with internals like the hammer, pistol grip, buttstock and I think even the buffer for $199) They still had a couple of those in stock and if I don't buy one myself when the store opens on Wednesday, I'll surely be telling some friends about it.

All three of the shops I've gone to lately still has bulk packs of .22 LR and for the most part prices haven't changed yet. I'm, personally in pretty good shape for routine target shooting and am picking up odds and ends as I can, but I wouldn't call it a panic situation yet. In contrast the small shop I visited today claims to have more inventory that the Buffalo Gun Centre, which has been cleaned out by New Yorkers wishing to beat the impending legislation.

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #244 on: January 21, 2013, 12:49:41 AM »
Stopped by a Walmart in St. Louis. Out of .223, .308, 9mm, .22lr, .38spl. Low on .380, .40, .45, .357. A decent stock of the other rifle calibers and shotgun ammo.

inbox485

« Reply #245 on: January 21, 2013, 09:34:35 AM »
Walmart in SoCal had a full rack of pivari 9mm last Friday, and a couple bulk boxes of .40 silver tip, a fair amount of 30-06, some hunting loads in 308, tula 7.62x39, quite a bit of 380, and some shotgun odds and ends. I've heard WM has a freeze on new orders (last I heard, it was only "new" orders - that might just mean they have standing orders to the point where it would just be a headache to let the tally run longer). That means that ammo availability at Walmart will largely depend on how on top of things the sporting manager has been. If your store had that guy that was smart enough to order anything and everything back in December, it may still be trickling in. If not, probably bare shelves for the next 6 months. One reason I still buy ammo at Walmart is they choose to ration rather than price gouge. Their prices consistently lag industry price hikes, and for all the things I don't like about WM, I applaud them for that.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #246 on: January 21, 2013, 09:36:53 AM »
Wally world had a smigin of ammo. I grabbed a box of 38 and 308.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #247 on: January 21, 2013, 11:15:18 AM »
I've been harassing my point of contact at Walmart about their official stance on the ammunition and weapons restock/reorders.  Walmart HQ Bentonville's reply:

Ladies, here is an official response we received that you can share if asked. We will keep you updated if we hear any more information.  Let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks.

“Recently, there have been media reports that Walmart is no longer selling ammunition. Those reports are inaccurate. Stores that sell ammunition and firearms are continuing to offer the same product assortment in this category. Inventory levels of ammunition will vary from store to store and we are working with suppliers to replenish our inventory. We are reviewing inventory levels on a daily basis and the company is shipping ammunition to stores that do not have the product to meet the current demand from our customers.”

-Kory Lundberg, Director of National Media Relations, Walmart

For what it's worth.

Offline cep89

• Survivor
« Reply #248 on: January 21, 2013, 03:40:54 PM »
My local walmart is out of the popular calibers.  The clerk told me that as soon as they restocked a local small gun shop came in and cleaned them out and are selling it for higher prices.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #249 on: January 21, 2013, 04:10:13 PM »
My local Walmart has been out of most calibers at any given time since the store opened 4 years ago....

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #250 on: January 21, 2013, 05:27:20 PM »
My local walmart is out of the popular calibers.  The clerk told me that as soon as they restocked a local small gun shop came in and cleaned them out and are selling it for higher prices.

Odd, my Walmart limits customers to 2 per day, per customer.  I thought they all did.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #251 on: January 21, 2013, 06:55:42 PM »
One of the little black rifle and ammo dealers just bit the dust late last month.  I guess when your selves are bare and there is nothing to sell there is no reason to stay open.

From what I understand their FFL is still active, they decided the only way to survive was to close their doors until they can buy ammo and semi-auto rifles.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #252 on: January 21, 2013, 07:30:43 PM »
Checked Bulk ammo today and they had a little. Ordered some of the expensive better stuff for my carry pistols.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #253 on: January 21, 2013, 08:51:44 PM »

When I find out that retailers are buying the inventory out of other retailers to keep it off the market, it pisses me off. when I find out who does it, I make sure to never shop there again, and tell everyone I know to do the same. I post signs at my local range letting everyone know who is keeping ammo off the market.

Offline Schmidt

• The Bear Whisperer
  • Prepper
« Reply #254 on: January 21, 2013, 09:07:14 PM »
I was just at Cabela's last week and saw thousands of boxes of 9mm with a 10 box per customer limit in place. No .223 ammo to be seen. Interestingly, the guy waiting on me told a story about how a guy recently bought a gun chambered in .223 and then became irate when the store didn't have any ammo in stock.

Hopefully when nothing happens in 2 months and the hype dies down, the ammo prices will drop a bit.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #255 on: January 21, 2013, 09:46:06 PM »
In colonial times, when gunsmiths would hand fit muzzle loading rifles, they would custom make a bullet casting mold specific to that bore.  Since no two rifles were identical, it was a common understanding that each marksman would cast his own projectiles for best accuracy.

The Cabela's employee should have taken Mr. IrateOverNoAmmo to the reloading section :)

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #256 on: January 21, 2013, 11:26:57 PM »
Just left academy in spartanburg sc, they have all of their 22lr, 9mm, 40 s&w, 45acp, 223/5.56, 308, and 7.62x39 at the customer service desk with a limit of 1 box per caliber, and 3 boxes total. They had 3 or 4 boxes of each, the only prices i checked was a plastic ammo can of 200 rounds of hornady 55gr v-max for 158.95.

All the other ammo had no restrictions, and was summarily picked over. There were good supplies of 12 guage birdshot, but no buck or slugs. There was 243 winchester, 300 and 338mag, 45-70, and 38 special, and that was about it.

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #257 on: January 21, 2013, 11:29:33 PM »
Odd, my Walmart limits customers to 2 per day, per customer.  I thought they all did.

The one I normally go to has signs up limiting to six boxes per customer.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #258 on: January 22, 2013, 01:02:34 AM »
I have no idea what it looks like inside a gun store these days, but one I pass almost daily used to be kinda quiet until the last month and a bit. I see guys hauling ARMLOADS of things out of there and granted they only have like a parking area for about 6 cars, but people are parking on the street too now. It is always hopping around there now, when before I would not have even hardly seen the place due to how quiet it was.

Cedar

inbox485

« Reply #259 on: January 22, 2013, 01:21:13 PM »
In colonial times, when gunsmiths would hand fit muzzle loading rifles, they would custom make a bullet casting mold specific to that bore.  Since no two rifles were identical, it was a common understanding that each marksman would cast his own projectiles for best accuracy.

The Cabela's employee should have taken Mr. IrateOverNoAmmo to the reloading section :)

Which by all accounts has also been barren and back ordered.

inbox485

« Reply #260 on: January 22, 2013, 01:24:25 PM »
I have no idea what it looks like inside a gun store these days, but one I pass almost daily used to be kinda quiet until the last month and a bit. I see guys hauling ARMLOADS of things out of there and granted they only have like a parking area for about 6 cars, but people are parking on the street too now. It is always hopping around there now, when before I would not have even hardly seen the place due to how quiet it was.

Cedar

Ironically I think CA is doing better than the national par because we have had several ban scares a year for several years. There was still a spike this last time, but it has been more hoarders that want to resell (which if you ever want to get perma black balled from a gun club, just admit you do that), and the fact that restocking shelves stopped happening because of the national scale issue.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #261 on: January 22, 2013, 05:09:16 PM »
I received my "gold plated" ammo order from Bulkammo.com today. 200 X .223 and 200X 9 mm. Not bad since I ordered it Thursday or Friday last week.

It looks like supply is loosening up at Bulkammo as there is .223 and 9 mm readily available although still $905 / 1000 and $415 / 1000 respectively.

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
« Reply #262 on: January 22, 2013, 05:58:09 PM »

Unfortunately, most reloading sections are pretty bare too.  The only caliber I have in the household that I can't get dies, cases, or bullets for are .223

Fortunately I have plenty of other calibers to keep me busy for now.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #263 on: January 23, 2013, 09:43:41 PM »
I visited one of my favourite gunshops today and spoke to a friend who's a Range Officer at the club that I posted at a couple of days ago.

The gunshop I visited today still had a decent selection of ammo, and in addition to the normal hunting guns had Russian SKS, .223 VZ 58s, and a reasonably decent selection of handguns. They still have decent priced MFS steel cased .223 and crates of Norinco that are selling fast to shooters who realize that we'll have a dearth of ammo coming from the US in upcoming months.  .223 Winchester is still available at $11.80 (plus 13% tax) for 20 rounds, but for how long is anyone's guess.

I left with a 525 round and 333 round of Federal and Winchester .22LR, which were $23.00 and $13.50 respectively (I try to get a box or two each visit). I may go back tomorrow to pick up a crate of Norinco .223 that would cost about $510 for 1600 rounds, that would at least hold me over in that calibre for the next season of shooting. My only hesitation is becasue of other gun related purchases that are competing with it.

Of particular interest to people on this board might be the fact that the gun club I spoke of a couple of days back had actually been approached by American dealers to purchase their guns and ammo, but seeing the hurtlocker that many smaller US gun dealers are in, they're holding onto what they've got to hold them over and keep the customers coming until things improve and shipments from gun and ammo manufacturers resume.

Best of luck to all of you. I certainly appreciate how lucky we are up here at the moment and hope that things improve for you all sooner rather than later.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #264 on: January 24, 2013, 12:38:56 AM »
There seems to be some stock filtering in, and even though the rush seems to be slowing some, but it's still going fast.

Saw a sig 556 for sale today, $2495.97

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #265 on: January 24, 2013, 02:14:02 PM »
During my lunch break I waddled into a yuppie gun store in downtown Bellevue, WA (ask Heavy G. for details).

I was surprised to see nearly every model Glock in stock, as well as M&Ps, CZs. and plenty of ammo for all.
When I noticed most of the Glocks were in the $750 range, and 50 round box of federal pistol ammo was $30 - it all started to make sense.

I'm not upset about it.  I suppose if it's life and death, paying 30% surcharge may be worth doing in certain extreme cases.  At least there's the option.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #266 on: January 25, 2013, 03:37:31 PM »
Glocks are gone here. No ar's less then 2000.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #267 on: January 25, 2013, 05:40:45 PM »
Academy in Houston. They moved the "in demand" ammo to the front with a limit of 2 boxes a customer. Of course, no .223, no 9 mm, no .22. What good is that?

In the normal section, no .357, only a couple of boxes of .38.

No AR's to be had.

Seriously folks?

Offline M1Andy

• Prepper
« Reply #268 on: January 25, 2013, 07:54:15 PM »
Same thing at the Academy stores here in Oklahoma.  Service counter handing out the 1 box/caliber, 3 box limit.  The high traffic gun store in small town i visit on business every two weeks is gutted of everything.  They went to two box limit on ammo or they wouldn't have any sales for most of the day.  It will blow over but I think it's going to take awhile.  Every little tidbit of news will send the same 50 guys back to the Academy sidewalk 30 minutes before opening M-W-F.  (after truck).  If I shoot much, I can't replace fast enough.  Personal inventory is not near enough.  Seriously, i have spent too much on guns and not enough on ammo the last 4 years.  8 yr old daughter helped me inventory this evening.

Offline Ragnar

• Prepper
« Reply #269 on: January 25, 2013, 10:34:45 PM »
A good friend sells reloads, granted not a huge amount but I usually get in when he makes his powder orders.  2 to 3 months BO right now on what we are ordering. His shop also builds AR's and parts started coming available this last week for the first time but dried up quickly after Thursday again.  Primers... Couple months BO. 

Local Cabelas and Walmart's. nada.