Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2016)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 384929 times)

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
Re: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #330 on: February 01, 2013, 07:42:57 PM »
Found some federal 556 for 49 cents a round with a 100 round per day limit. Grabbed my daily limit. :D

Crap.

$919 for 1000 on Bulkammo.com (Federal). Fiocchhi is $910.

And here I thought the curve was dipping down. If people would stop buying, the price would drop. ;-)

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Militant Vaxxer
« Reply #331 on: February 01, 2013, 08:52:05 PM »
And here I thought the curve was dipping down. If people would stop buying, the price would drop. ;-)

Never underestimate the gun owner's innate paranoia, it doesn't take much to shift us into full-on hoarding mode. 

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #332 on: February 02, 2013, 06:34:58 AM »
I have learned to just keep hitting the shops for components. I have 1 local place that can't even get anything but I call them whenever I can to see if they have anything in.I know if they do and I ask that they will hold anything I ask them to. I have 2 other shops which are about 40 minutes away and I have developed relationships with 1 person in each store. I will call and ask them what they have in and ask for them to hold stuff. I have to be flexible though. I just scored some small rifle primers but they were on strips so I had to buy the tool to go with or try to pop them all out first. I bought the tool and actually think this will be pretty good as I can prime cases without worrying about dropping primers (or rather have my son do it).

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #333 on: February 02, 2013, 02:58:17 PM »
Tried to go to the pistol range..1 hour wait, I'll try tomorrow   :'(

About the stock..
No win primers
No powder for .223
1 or 2 freedom guns
Big holes in the pistol cases
.22 one box per lane

Detroit area...

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #334 on: February 02, 2013, 04:11:40 PM »
Stopped at the local Bi-Mart and chatted with the clerk.  Of course they are totally out of everything, including the stacks of 25 rd boxes of Remington 00 buckshot shells.  Most of the longarms are sold out as well.  I had been looking to get maybe a lever action ro a new bolt rifle and asked when they would get more.

The clerk chuckled and said normally this would be a good time of year to buy after they have restocked post-hunting season.  But all of that has been sold and it will be months before their distribution centers restock on rifles.  She could special order from distribution whatever they still had but nothing I wanted.

It appears that if you want even a bolt rifle you need to consider the less popular calibers right now: .243, .270, 7mm Mag, .300 Win Mag, or even less common 7mm-08, .257, .260, etc.  Anything in .223, .308, .30-06 or even .22lr is getting very scarce.  I am going to check out a local gun store that has a lot of used guns for sale and see how they are doing.  I'd like to find a nice used Winchester Featherweight or Tikka in .308 or .30-06.  But I might consider a less common calibe r just in case of future times like this.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #335 on: February 02, 2013, 06:59:56 PM »
A quick dash in to see what they had left in stock for both ammo and firearms.

Lots of different ammo, mostly for hunting rifle.  There was a good stock pile of 40 S&W - but the amount is down by 80% versus this time last year. 

The gun racks looks like they have been heavily picked over.  Only two high priced ar-15 style rifles left + 2 9mm Rock River lower receivers fully dressed out.  About 70% or more reduction in stock for pistols.  I was hoping to spot a Glock 17 Gen 3, but that was a pipe dream.

Primers was limited to 300, which is OK if you are loading big bore rifles, but for high volume shooting not worth the effort.  No CCI primers at all, which is my number 1 go to brand due to the many years of use and recommendation by Lee the mfg of my hand reloading tool.

nelson96

« Reply #336 on: February 02, 2013, 07:23:29 PM »
It appears that if you want even a bolt rifle you need to consider the less popular calibers right now: .243, .270, 7mm Mag, .300 Win Mag

???? . . .  Those are some of the most popular "bolt" action rifles for western shooters.  The last three more than the first anyway. 

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
« Reply #337 on: February 03, 2013, 07:38:09 AM »
Tried to go to the pistol range..1 hour wait, I'll try tomorrow   :'(

I tried to take out a new shooter last month and we had the same experience here in the Denver area. Minimum one hour wait and standing room only in the lobby... on a Monday morning.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #338 on: February 03, 2013, 05:33:47 PM »
I just checked my local Walmart.  NO pistol calibers in stock at all.  No .223.

For some reason, it appears that they will not be stocking much shotshell going forward.  They just stocked the shelves that normally hold the shotshells with camping equipment.  The reduced the variet of shotshells and moved them to another area.

They changed their store policy of limiting customers from 2 boxes to allowing up to 3 boxes.  Funny since they have less than they did a couple of months ago when they implemented the 2 "boxes to a customer" policy.

They did have 6mm, 7mm, .270, 30-30, 30-06 and .308.  They also had boxes of 00Buck for $4.96 for 5 rounds.  I wanted to buy a couple of those boxes, but I could not find an employee to unlock the glass.

Offline nimzy88

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #339 on: February 03, 2013, 05:49:13 PM »
So I went to my one day a week job at the range and we just got a shipment or pmags in. 30.00 a piece with limit 2 which isn't horrible.

.40 federal range and target we are selling by the case $339/1000 and .45 360/1000 I think, it may be Jack Ross reloads though didn't really look to close.

We started making AR polymer lowers which is what another shop also in town is doing so lowers are going for $269.00.

We also have cases of 12ga. 00 I forgot how much those are, I will try to look when I go shoot tues.

It does make me want to get a glock 23 for carry, we are suppose to get some more glock factory mags in for .40 soon. Only glocks in the shop now though are 27 le

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #340 on: February 03, 2013, 06:15:41 PM »
I just paid $40 for 100 9mm Winchester.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Militant Vaxxer
« Reply #341 on: February 03, 2013, 06:18:59 PM »
Local gun store is almost totally devoid of guns and ammo.  I saw some .380 and Korean surplus 30-06 and that was it for ammo.  The only semi auto in the place was a Ruger MkIII, but no .22 to feed it with.

Walmart had only a little premium pistol ammo in .40 and .380, nothing in 9mm or .45,  For rifle there was no .223, or .308, only some premium hunting loads in .270 and 30-06.  There were a couple boxes of Winchester Military 00, but no other 12ga defensive rounds.

Offline American freak

• Prepper
  • God, Family, The Republic.
« Reply #342 on: February 03, 2013, 06:30:14 PM »
I have seen something similar as Freelancer. The gun stores around my part of Houston are almost devoid of ammo and the selection in most are fearfully small. Stores that used to have walls full of choices are completely empty. Pistols seem to be limited to revolvers as well. Even shotguns are almost non existent.

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #343 on: February 03, 2013, 06:48:19 PM »
Tried again today at 3pm too go bang,bang at the pistol range :'( :'( still a 1 hour wait and this place has 16 lane's..

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #344 on: February 03, 2013, 07:06:18 PM »
??? ? . . .  Those are some of the most popular "bolt" action rifles for western shooters.  The last three more than the first anyway.

I qualified my statement by saying "...less popular calibers right now such as...".  Far and away the popular calibers right now are .223, .308 and .30-06 both in ammo and components.

I agree, .243, .270 and 7mm RM are very popular in general, but for right now you can still find lots of ammo and .243" bullets and .270" but try finding .224" bullets in 55gr - 75 gr range or .308" bullets in 150 - 180 gr range.  Or try finding powder suitable for semi-autos in those three calibers.  Good luck.  I can find plenty of 4831 or R19 for my 6.5x55 but not the BL-C2, Varget or H4895 for my .308 and .30-06 semis, or H332, H335, TAC or Rl15 for the AR15.

When I was at the gun shop there was no problem finding on the rack or available from the distributor the normally popular 7mm Mag and .270, etc. Same for their ammo. So that is a good thing.  If you want a bolt gun you can still get a normally popular caliber, but not what is hot since November.

Offline TheZenful1

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #345 on: February 03, 2013, 08:14:11 PM »
The local stores around the SW Chicagoland area have been in real short supply. It's been hit or miss when I've been out.

As of today; 2 Wallyworlds I stopped in, one had about 7 boxes of American Eagle 223, a boatload of 9mm($14/50), 3 boxes 40($23/50), a handful of 270 and 30-06 and some 12ga 7/8shot. The other had a couple small boxes of 22 shorts, a box or 2 of 17hmr, 8 boxes of 40 HST, little bit of 12ga 7/8shot. Of course with a 3 box limit.

Went to a gun show in the Western suburbs this morning. Plenty of 223/556, 9, 40, 45. Most 223 was priced at .85 a rnd and up. The 9 was more expensive than Wallyworld. Boy was that place plenty busy! It was hard to find a parking spot about an hour after it opened & we were packed in the building like sardines.

Heresay told me that local gun stores are have been limiting ammo purchases as well. One place had a 1 box limit!!!

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #346 on: February 04, 2013, 12:26:36 PM »
Ridiculous — I wasn't even about to go to the gun show here last weekend and wait in line for 10 hours and pay some admission fee to look at a bunch of empty shelves!

I did think about going at the very end of the show to see what would be left to "haggle" on, but in the end had better things to do with my time.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #347 on: February 04, 2013, 02:23:18 PM »
Just picked up the only two boxes of .40S&W at Walmart. Cashier said they had only been on the shelf for forty minutes. I asked how many had been there when first stocked. She replied "just these two".
Walmart was completely out of anything in 12ga even birdshot, but big-5 had a variety of slugs, buckshot and birdshot.
No 22LR anywhere.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #348 on: February 04, 2013, 02:40:42 PM »
In case anyone is looking for components, Montana Golld Bullets seems fully stocked.  These are jacketed bullets, a little more expensive than plated but cheaper than Win/Rem/Speer FMJ.  I ordered 1,000 .40 bullets and confirmation email stated 7-10 business to ship.  I did NOT notice any Out of Stock notices on any items.

Normally I shoot lead or plated bullets but I can't find any.  Montana Gold has a good reputation in the action shooting sports (along with Zero), so this was the best value I could find available.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #349 on: February 04, 2013, 06:29:14 PM »
Bulkammo.com is still selling .223 for $919 for 1000. People keep buying so they keep selling. They are making a mint right now!!

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #350 on: February 05, 2013, 07:56:53 AM »
I have been in 2 of the nearby Dick's Sporting Goods in the past week and they are out of most 12 Ga anything except target loads.
A few boxes behind the counter of 00 in one of them.

Someone asked for .223 and the guy said 223, 9mm and .22lr are out. They get deliveries on Tues and Thursday and don't know what they will be getting. He told the customer to get on line early.
Plenty of 308. They had a bunch of other calibers as well.
20 gauge was fairly plentiful as well.

May be time to get a 20 gauge.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #351 on: February 05, 2013, 09:43:48 AM »
Went to Bi Mart last night.  Clark county WA  Gun racks full.  Didn't look close to see what all they had wasn't shopping for those.   Ammo shelves very very very empty.   zero primers for any thing no powder the entire reload shelves low compared to what is was a month ago.  Use to be able to get 1000 rounds each cal. per day which they were not real strict with now can only get 2- 4 boxes per day.  They are very strict. 

I kind of wonder after all this hoopla is over and the dust has settled (provided the feds don't mess things up to bad)  If people will dump what they bought.  Seems there are many that are buying just cuz they are afraid someone will tell them they can't and otherwise they wouldn't give it a second thought.  humm just makes me wonder. 

I can say it is a very uneasy feeling to see such empty shelves is so many stores.  This is worse than last time.  You know makes me wonder if this was meds or food.  Scary.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #352 on: February 05, 2013, 11:12:50 AM »
Went to Bi Mart last night.  Clark county WA  Gun racks full.  Didn't look close to see what all they had wasn't shopping for those.   Ammo shelves very very very empty.   zero primers for any thing no powder the entire reload shelves low compared to what is was a month ago.  Use to be able to get 1000 rounds each cal. per day which they were not real strict with now can only get 2- 4 boxes per day.  They are very strict. 

I kind of wonder after all this hoopla is over and the dust has settled (provided the feds don't mess things up to bad)  If people will dump what they bought.  Seems there are many that are buying just cuz they are afraid someone will tell them they can't and otherwise they wouldn't give it a second thought.  humm just makes me wonder. 

I can say it is a very uneasy feeling to see such empty shelves is so many stores.  This is worse than last time.  You know makes me wonder if this was meds or food.  Scary.

The "universal background check" thing, should it pass, could be very interesting indeed.  It will become considerably more convenient to sell via consignment or sell directly to FFL/pawn shop if FTF sales are illegal.

Whether selling a top of the line match grade AR-15 or a beat up deer gun, there could be a $35+ transfer fee.  Given that "flat tax", it could discourage budget guns, in the same manor flat rate shipping encourages you to buy more online.

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #353 on: February 05, 2013, 11:28:16 AM »
The gun racks at Dick's were bare. A couple of shotguns and one or two bolt actions left.
I tried going to a couple "local" stores but they have been packed, can't get parking so I did not go to check.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #354 on: February 05, 2013, 03:31:27 PM »
22 magnum is gone around here...

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #355 on: February 05, 2013, 07:45:49 PM »
Wasn't in the market fore anything, but I checked a store while I was out today just to see stock levels. There were about 5 boxes of 30-06, 7 boxes 7mm rem mag, the only 12 gauge was 2 boxes each of the winchester home defense loads (slug with 3 00 balls) and 3 1/2" 00 buck. 4 boxes of 410 winchester pdx1 shotshells (defense disks and bb shot), 2 boxes of 45 colt Winchester pdx1, and 4 boxes of the winchester combo packs of 410 shells and 45 colt. there were several boxes of 20 gauge slugs and bird shot, but no buckshot. also there was 1 50rnd box of 22 mag.

That was it.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #356 on: February 05, 2013, 08:33:11 PM »
Bulkammo.com is still selling .223 for $919 for 1000. People keep buying so they keep selling. They are making a mint right now!!

Another day and still $919 for 1000 rounds of .223. Inventory seems to have crept up as there are 39000 rounds ready to ship from bulkammo.com this evening. A few weeks ago, they would post inventory and it would be gone before I went to bed.

I expect the situation to break in a week or two when people get tired of the high prices and the proposed weapons ban dies in the House.

Of course, the high capacity magazine ban will move forward so I will have to live with the five I have. **sigh** I would have liked to have a dozen.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #357 on: February 06, 2013, 12:19:10 AM »
Found some federal 556 for 49 cents a round with a 100 round per day limit. Grabbed my daily limit. :D
Their all sold out. :(

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #358 on: February 07, 2013, 04:34:36 PM »
Okay everyone, here it is - the secret weapon.  This is a big deal for us who have been looking all over the net for ammo. This shows what's in stock and cost per round at all the major online retailers, updated every 90 seconds!  Unfortunately it also shows how expensive ammo is too.  But I find it a very good tool.  Note - I did not build this and have no ties to the website.

http://www.gunbot.net/index.php?cal=223556

Offline Saint-TyR

• Survivor
    • Ruby Lane Farm
« Reply #359 on: February 07, 2013, 04:49:48 PM »
Okay everyone, here it is - the secret weapon.  This is a big deal for us who have been looking all over the net for ammo. This shows what's in stock and cost per round at all the major online retailers, updated every 90 seconds!  Unfortunately it also shows how expensive ammo is too.  But I find it a very good tool.  Note - I did not build this and have no ties to the website.

http://www.gunbot.net/index.php?cal=223556

Awesome resource! Thank you for sharing! Yes, it is sad to see the high price per round for 223!

Stay safe!