Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2016)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 381211 times)

Offline Call

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Canadian = envy my health care, pity my gun rights
Re: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #420 on: February 15, 2013, 08:35:43 PM »
Boy, I hate to do this to my American cousins, but there are no visible shortages up here in Canada. I just came back from the Toronto Bass Pro Shop and the small Hamilton gun shop I go to. All shelves are stocked, including reloading sections. That includes .40, 9 mm, and all rifle calibres. No issues with shotshells, either, you can still pick up 150 double-ought buckshot shells for $120.00.

At my local ship I bought two 500-round bricks of .22LR ($22.00 each), and 250 rounds of surplus 7.62X39 for $0.28/round. We can also still get 1600 rounds of .223 for $499.00 by mail order within Canada.

I haven't seen any price increase, shortages, or heavier-than-usual buying.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 08:51:54 PM by Call »

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #421 on: February 15, 2013, 10:29:18 PM »
Boy, I hate to do this to my American cousins, but there are no visible shortages up here in Canada. I just came back from the Toronto Bass Pro Shop and the small Hamilton gun shop I go to. All shelves are stocked, including reloading sections. That includes .40, 9 mm, and all rifle calibres. No issues with shotshells, either, you can still pick up 150 double-ought buckshot shells for $120.00.

At my local ship I bought two 500-round bricks of .22LR ($22.00 each), and 250 rounds of surplus 7.62X39 for $0.28/round. We can also still get 1600 rounds of .223 for $499.00 by mail order within Canada.

Looks like it is time to get a boat and start smuggling side business at night. Load it up with ammo and sell down here from a parking lot at night.  How much is your fine Canadian Whiskey?

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #422 on: February 15, 2013, 11:36:47 PM »

I can second the above, but have asked around a couple of dealers about what they have in stock and what they've been getting in. The timing of the arrival of inexpensive but good Norinco .223 was very fortunate, but I was told by one of the main importers that while they originally got hold of enough ammo in China to feed our market for about a year, that it's been selling alot faster on account of what's happened in the States, so it's unclear whether I'll be able to purchase another crate myself later on. Another Toronto area dealer told me that while they've got good supplies of most ammo at the moment, that they probably won't be able to say the same several weeks from now, at least for their US produced goods.

There are some localized shortages of .22LR in some parts of the country now, and at least one importer was marketing 5000 rounds of Winchester Wildcat at $299, which is nearly double what it used to go for. I'll keep picking up extra bulk packs of .22LR, which are still available around here at a decent price, but am fully anticipating a shortage later on. What's likely going to happen is that we'll get shortages as the weather warms and people heading to the range discover that our stores won't be resupplied until at least a few months after everything returns to normal in the US. At least this allows those of us who shoot regularly to increase our stockpiles in a calm, orderly fashion while taking the lesson from what's happened in the US to be more prepared for potential shortages in the future.

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
« Reply #423 on: February 16, 2013, 08:17:19 AM »
WTF!? 45 bucks for a brick of .22?

Are people paying it? . . . .  Man I wish I had invested in more, to sell.  I have plenty, but am holding on to it like gold.

People were certainly buying it.  I know the owner and think he was trying to slow people down a bit so that everyone that comes in would have a shot at buying at least a bit.

Nelson.... Roger that.... I'm holding what I have, although I did sell a few rounds to a friend that wanted to test his new AR-15.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #424 on: February 16, 2013, 09:40:27 AM »
The .22 situation is highly annoying.  If you're like me, you always bring along your favorite rimfire as a secondary gun to the range. 

If I'm running low on centerfire ammo, or simply want to extend my range day, that's always been the beauty of low cost rimfire.
Currently I have 5 unopened Fed Champion bricks, plus a dozen or so 100round CCI minimag plastic boxes.

I'm not in any trouble, but I also can't afford to hand a brick to my son to blast away in a weekend.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #425 on: February 16, 2013, 01:52:13 PM »
bought a magazine for a glock23 (13 rounds) ...  $32

Offline nimzy88

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #426 on: February 16, 2013, 03:31:58 PM »
bought a magazine for a glock23 (13 rounds) ...  $32

MidwayUSA had them about a week ago. I just got my 2 at $24.00 a piece

Offline Bob Spelled Backwards

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #427 on: February 16, 2013, 07:20:56 PM »
I've been able to find a little 9mm and .38 here and there ( in southeast Mi ) but sadly it's only the overpriced hollow points.   

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #428 on: February 17, 2013, 12:37:23 AM »
If you need AR mags try the Mako Group. They are in stock.

Thox Spuddy

Offline Call

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Canadian = envy my health care, pity my gun rights
« Reply #430 on: February 18, 2013, 08:05:10 AM »
http://www.infowars.com/dhs-purchases-21-6-million-more-rounds-of-ammunition/

Is this causing a shortage?

Not to any serious extent, if you consider the math. Take an estimated 3 million AR-15 owners in the U.S., add in a bunch of new owners who bought one based on concern about the AWB, and multiple that by 1000 rounds of ammunition each. That gets you a lot more rounds being sold all at the same time to people concerned of restrictions.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #431 on: February 18, 2013, 08:49:40 AM »
A range buddy said that he recently visited a gun show.  He said bricks of .22 (qty 550) were selling from $60 to $80.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #432 on: February 18, 2013, 10:18:10 AM »
http://www.infowars.com/dhs-purchases-21-6-million-more-rounds-of-ammunition/

Is this causing a shortage?

I would say it is a combination of that and the subsequent replies. Yeah, DHS is scaring the crap out of gun owners and I am sure 1.4 BILLION rounds in a span of 10 months is putting enough pressure on the supply as-is — BUT in combination with the fear-mongering that "they" are about to take our guns and ammo, they have also scared the population into buying up the entire existing supply at 2X - 3X more than they would have paid for it 10 months ago.

They OBVIOUSLY are preparing for SOMETHING when you put that into the context of everything else that is being pushed forward legislatively and through the executive branch without legislative backing.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #433 on: February 18, 2013, 05:55:40 PM »
The .22 situation is highly annoying.   

I'm not in any trouble, but I also can't afford to hand a brick to my son to blast away in a weekend.

I agree. I want to take a friend to the range, but the price of ammo is so flipping high that it will cost an arm and a leg. But, I promised so I need to come through for him.

What I need to get is a .22 conversion kit for my Glock 19. That would make the ammo stretch longer. ;-)

Offline BiggBake

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #434 on: February 18, 2013, 06:18:38 PM »
Bought some .40 S&W and 22LR today.  No 9mm anywhere.

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #435 on: February 19, 2013, 12:15:09 AM »
I spent about 3 hours yesterday going through vendors sites trying to find some ammo. Hunting rifles, and some oddball/expensive handgun stuff (500S&W anyone?) is about all there is left. And a good, but shrinking selection of shotgun ammo. Buckshot is getting harder and harder to get. Guns are even worse. You want a bolt-action rifle or a pump/break action shotgun with 26"+ bbls? Take your pick. Anything else, it's going to be REALLY tough for a while.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #436 on: February 19, 2013, 07:04:56 PM »
I picked up over 2500 rounds of .22LR tonight at regular prices and think I'm set for now with over 7000 rounds, all but a couple hundred of which were purchased since about Christmas.  The gun shop even got a shipment today of Winchester 9mm 100 round bulk packs which made the shop owner very happy, as ammunition has been arriving only haphazardly. They've still got a fair bit of inventory though it's anyone's guess what it will be like come the summertime.

On the weekend I visited the gun shop attached to my shooting club which still had lots of ammo, including crates of 7.62x39 and .223, though some of the other ammo was a bit pricier than I'd have liked (i.e. $29 for a brick of .22LR). I picked up a polymer lower and Norinco 10.5" upper that I purchased a few weeks back for about $770 tax inclusive plus the sling for a Sub 2K. They've still got some black rifles in stock even but I didn't see any Kel-Tecs.

Offline Practical Prepper

• Prepper
« Reply #437 on: February 19, 2013, 07:51:33 PM »
In utah I have been able to find sparatic 9mm and 45 but I've been to at least 6 different places and cannot find 22lr .....glad I prepped with my 9mm but wish I had purchaced more 22lr (I thought to myself oh they will always be a supply of those)impact did have a supply of 22lr silencer rounds but I don't think they will work in my semi auto

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #438 on: February 19, 2013, 07:59:56 PM »
i found the shootim boxs of 22's today , 375 rounds for 49.00 . aaah no way

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #439 on: February 19, 2013, 08:31:17 PM »
i found the shootim boxs of 22's today , 375 rounds for 49.00 . aaah no way

I'm a seller not a buyer at that price.

I am very glad I have 22lr conversion kits for my Glock 19 and my AR 15 or I'd have to stop or slow down shooting.

I even have a 5.45 AR upper and 10,000+ rounds, but I'm not sure I want to use too many until I can identify when I can buy some more.

Offline BamaPrepper

• Prepper
  • I tried to be reasonable...I didn't like it....
« Reply #440 on: February 20, 2013, 07:48:43 AM »
Pretty much every big box store in the Northern Atlanta area is tapped out other than shotgun shells, but I have seen a substantial amount of centerfire ammo in smaller hunting/outdoors stores.  Can't find .22 ammo anywhere though....  >:(

Offline ADKwarrior

• Survivor
  • MSB Member Omegaburn
« Reply #441 on: February 20, 2013, 08:10:10 AM »
Dont know if any one else saw this yesterday but i grabbed this link from ITS Tactical

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/

Its a real time ammo stock/price tracking bot!!  So far it seems to work very well and its my new homepage :)
Enjoy.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #442 on: February 20, 2013, 10:44:01 AM »
No change in Portland area.  No new shipments that I have seen.  Fisherman's would be the best bet or local shops that normally have high prices might have some high priced ammo left.  At one I found some Sierra .224" 69 gr MatckKing bullets for sale (but bring a BIG wallet). I have heard that WalMart gets small amounts in, they seem to e the only retailer with a quick re-order system and the market size to get allocation. 

It seems some folks are tapping into new ammo before it gets into distribution.  It isn;t like a pallet of ammo arrives and it sells out.  It is a case or two at a time if at all.  Yet, the ammo makers are saying they are producing 1 billion rounds per month.  Where is the ammo going if not on the shelves?  IF even half of that billion was getting into the retail distribution chain we should see some on shelves.

As for guns, even the 1911s are disappearing from dealer shelves and no rifles or handguns getting re-stocked. Whatever is out there is slowly drying up still.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #443 on: February 20, 2013, 10:49:14 AM »
Dont know if any one else saw this yesterday but i grabbed this link from ITS Tactical

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/

Its a real time ammo stock/price tracking bot!!  So far it seems to work very well and its my new homepage :)
Enjoy.

That is awesome.  Sortable and everything.  Thank you.  +1

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #444 on: February 20, 2013, 10:50:08 AM »

Only downside is that .22lr are $69 per brick of 525 :(

Offline ADKwarrior

• Survivor
  • MSB Member Omegaburn
« Reply #445 on: February 20, 2013, 11:41:10 AM »

Your very welcome.  I do very much hope they increase their vendor reference list in the near future although it probably wont matter as no one has any anyway :(  At least i can still get .35rem without an issue, the bonus of having an off caliber firearm.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #446 on: February 20, 2013, 04:01:35 PM »
I'm loving "off caliber sleeper" caliber/guns :)

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #447 on: February 20, 2013, 05:48:20 PM »
OK...I am getting discouraged.

Still $919 for 1000 rounds of .223 on Bulkammo.com.

I guess we are only two months into this crisis. I would hate to have this as a "new normal." I really want to put some rounds down range, but will be thinking in the back of my head that it is $1 a trigger pull.

I know this has been said elsewhere, but if you want to hurt gun owners, put a tax on ammo. I make good money, but this hobby will be restricted most by making it too damn expensive. Of course, this makes it more dangerous because law-abiding citizens cannot practice enough to be proficient.

**sigh** I am going to stop looking at prices and focus on other stuff. Beans, rice and bandages are still cheap.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #448 on: February 20, 2013, 10:11:05 PM »
Even the big box sporting good stores generally have less common revolver calibers.

Last month Cabela's had reasonable selection of .38/.357 given the circumstances.  For bigger/weirder stuff like .327Fed, .41mag, .44spl/mag I don't think a single box was missing from the shelf.

Likewise with reloading components.  All the LEO/mil/tactical components like 9mm bullets and fast burning powders were sold out.  Slow burning magnum powders and stuff optimized for cast lead remained however.

Perhaps the zombie apocalypse will be fought with 1930s weapon technology...

Offline ADKwarrior

• Survivor
  • MSB Member Omegaburn
« Reply #449 on: February 21, 2013, 06:50:14 AM »
Even the big box sporting good stores generally have less common revolver calibers.

Last month Cabela's had reasonable selection of .38/.357 given the circumstances.  For bigger/weirder stuff like .327Fed, .41mag, .44spl/mag I don't think a single box was missing from the shelf.

Likewise with reloading components.  All the LEO/mil/tactical components like 9mm bullets and fast burning powders were sold out.  Slow burning magnum powders and stuff optimized for cast lead remained however.

Perhaps the zombie apocalypse will be fought with 1930s weapon technology...

Cant go wrong with a level gun brother! :)  Never thought a box of Marlin .444mag would be cheaper than a brick of .22lr  LOL