Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2016)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 401151 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #480 on: February 28, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
is it reloadable?

Most any case can be reloaded,  but under normal circumstances only brass is worth the effort.

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #481 on: February 28, 2013, 09:46:16 PM »
Stopped at WM today to look for 9mm. They had 2 100 rd boxes left, and a 2 box limit. The guy said he had 18 boxes come in this morning, and it was gone within 2 hours of putting it out.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #482 on: March 01, 2013, 03:26:01 AM »
is it reloadable?

Brass cases, are brass cases, but I've never seen brass tula cases to know if they are boxer or berdan primed. I haven't checked to see if berdan primers are available. Berdan cases are a pain to reload, but if you can find a berdan primer removing tool, and a supply of berdan primers, then brass tula brass would definantly be reloadable.

Also,  if you really need to, the aluminum cci blazer pistol cases, and the steel cases, are supposedly reloadable once. Some of it is boxer primed, some berdan primed, so you have to pay attention, and the steel cases are rough on your dies.

I've never thought reloading the steel and aluminum cases worth the effort, so I have never done it, but the current situation may end up changing that.

d3nni5

« Reply #483 on: March 01, 2013, 05:42:53 AM »
Stopped at WM today to look for 9mm. They had 2 100 rd boxes left, and a 2 box limit. The guy said he had 18 boxes come in this morning, and it was gone within 2 hours of putting it out.

16RnR....where are you in the country?   As I have been keeping up with this forum post, I've noticed a trend of 3 box limits at Wal-marts.   I'm in Morgantown, WV, both stores here were at a 3 box limit just yesterday.   

Curious to see if the limits are a regional thing?

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #484 on: March 01, 2013, 06:55:43 AM »
16RnR....where are you in the country?   As I have been keeping up with this forum post, I've noticed a trend of 3 box limits at Wal-marts.   I'm in Morgantown, WV, both stores here were at a 3 box limit just yesterday.   

all the WMs i've stopped in have a 1 box per caliber limit here in AZ

Offline sirlordbaltimore

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #485 on: March 01, 2013, 10:44:58 AM »
All of the WMs around here have a 3 box limit.  Was in one last week...The only thing in stock was some .17 cal.  Havent seen a box of nine in a WM since December. 

Offline Virginian

• Survivor
  • The Virginian
« Reply #486 on: March 01, 2013, 11:05:05 AM »

WM  has three box limit in central Virginia

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #487 on: March 01, 2013, 11:26:45 AM »
every store here is 1 box, sportsmans, walmart, it's ridiculous. i would love a 3 box limit.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #488 on: March 01, 2013, 01:24:49 PM »
I was wondering if that brass cased 762x39 was boxer primed

Offline ADKwarrior

• Survivor
  • MSB Member Omegaburn
« Reply #489 on: March 01, 2013, 02:50:15 PM »
Not sure if this is all Dicks stores or just my local but they said they were getting 525rnd Blazer boxes in friday and there still just 21$.  Worth checking out.

Called my local Dick's this morning and they said they did not recieve any .22lr :(  Manager said the truck was empty when it showed up...??  lol

Offline Doomtrooper

• Prepper
« Reply #490 on: March 01, 2013, 03:52:11 PM »
Well everywhere around me is almost out of all major calibers, an when they do get them in their limiting people to one box (Academy, local gun stores), or three at walmart. Glad I stocked up after the last scare,

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #491 on: March 01, 2013, 04:17:47 PM »
For all you reloading geeks asking the tough questions about boxer vs. berdan, reloading steel, and other topics mother nature never intended, this is your new favorite youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mainejunker

Highlights:

How to deprime berdan primers easily with hydraulic pressure
How to converter a berdan case to accept a boxer primer
Casting lead 7.62x39 bullets
etc.

Just a year ago, most of these topics seemed curious, but an absurd waste of time given the previous economics.  Today I think these skills are extremely valuable.

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #492 on: March 01, 2013, 08:01:30 PM »
Just bought 350 rd of 9mm @ $99 and learned a few things: are you being required to show a drivers license for ammo purchase and wonder why? Retailers might have ammo behind the counter that they are holding off as they want to prevent what is becoming a widespread almost black market for ammo. People are walking into the store and are buying up everything on the shelf and reselling it online they say. They want to restrict such sales so that users of firearms that they sold are getting it, otherwise if they can't buy the ammo, why buy the gun? .........demonstrating that I bought the gun there enabled me to buy the ammo, which wasn't on the shelf.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #493 on: March 01, 2013, 10:22:16 PM »
Just a year ago, most of these topics seemed curious, but an absurd waste of time given the previous economics.  Today I think these skills are extremely valuable.

Exactly, just because it may not be worth it now doesn't mean having the tools and knowledge to do it if needed in the future is a bad idea. It could make a big difference one day.

endurance

« Reply #494 on: March 02, 2013, 10:50:18 AM »
Exactly.  A little over a year ago I was doing the math on whether I should get back into reloading and concluded that it didn't make economic sense.  Even buying cast bullets and the cheapest components I could find, it would take me over 20,000 rounds of 9mm to pay for a Dillon 550 press, say nothing about the value of my time.  Now, 14 months later that pay off would be closer to 6,000 round for 9mm and only about 2,000 rounds for 5.56. 

I sure wouldn't have even thought about casting my own bullets six months ago, but now I'm acquiring what I need to in order to get started for my two most popular calibers.

Offline 11 Bravo

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #495 on: March 02, 2013, 05:52:54 PM »
I am assuming that the brass case Tula that is in my Wal-Mart is reloadable...and yes, my WalMart has a three box limit as well. The signs went up a few weeks ago.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #496 on: March 02, 2013, 09:27:29 PM »
I purchased 500 rounds of .223 for $399 at the Memorial Shooting Center in west Houston. It appears that they have a contract with a local reloader who takes all the brass from the range and reloads it. They swear by the reliability.

There was a line this morning to buy AR's. The .223 was gone in 10 minutes, so if you go, show up at 11:00 on Saturday (they open at 11:30).

There was no 9 mm or .223 at Academy in west Houston on I-10. The guy advised me to show up for opening before 8 am on Tuesday for supply. Yeah, I work for a living.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #497 on: March 03, 2013, 12:56:23 AM »
Friday I went into a Wholesale Sports in Federal Way, WA.

It was picked over pretty good, only having premium or self-defense rounds in exotic (.454 casull, .45gap, 10mm, .357sig, etc.) and a small amount of revolver rounds.  I grabbed a box of .38spl gold dots, only because I didn't have any manufactured .38 at home and it seemed like I should.

I'm now thinking the old advice about sticking with NATO calibers is total crap.  Whoever has a handgun in .41mag, .357sig or 10mm can still get whatever they want in most stores.  On the rifle side every store, inc. WM has .270 in stock at a low price. 

The gun counter dude jokingly told me within 2 hours of the store opening 3 people asked for 9mm, .223 and .308.  Apparently he felt it was common knowledge that the entire universe is sold out of those calibers.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #498 on: March 03, 2013, 10:32:32 AM »
This is why I love the glock 23 with different barrels, or any other handgun with different barrels :)

I spoke with lone wolf, they have another caliber in the works for barrels.

Offline Bennington1776

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Do you have a plan?
    • Preparedness Consulting Group, LLC
« Reply #499 on: March 03, 2013, 10:42:26 AM »
Purchased the last boxes of .40 cal from a local spot as well as a bag of dummy rounds.  Time for some weapons malfunction drills.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #500 on: March 03, 2013, 04:20:06 PM »
At the gun show today , 40 year old bricks of .22s 60.00  , 50 round boxs of blazers 9.00,
i did see some tula steel case .223 for 10.00 a box, they had plastic bags of loose .22 250 rounds for 35.00 old stuff,unreal Ar15's 1200 and up to 2300. most hand guns were 100 to 1500 higher than they should be on a good day. and they must have dug out every hunk of rust to try andd sell.

endurance

« Reply #501 on: March 03, 2013, 04:48:21 PM »
Purchased the last boxes of .40 cal from a local spot as well as a bag of dummy rounds.  Time for some weapons malfunction drills.
Having to resort to Remington high velocities in my Ruger Mark II instead of my normal CCI MiniMags has given me all the malfunction drill practice I need. ::)

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #502 on: March 03, 2013, 05:13:01 PM »
Just bought 350 rd of 9mm @ $99 and learned a few things: are you being required to show a drivers license for ammo purchase and wonder why? Retailers might have ammo behind the counter that they are holding off as they want to prevent what is becoming a widespread almost black market for ammo.

Hmmm...not sure what they meant.  Selling ammo is perfectly legal so by definition there is no black market.  And I can confirm that the big retailers locally do not have extra ammo set aside (I know the managers in charge of ammunition for several of them).  Though I do know two mom & pop dealers who have massively raised the prices of the ammo they have out to keep it on the shelves.  But if you buy a gun (or they know you are a good customer) they will sell it at the pre-inflated rates.  It is hard to sell guns if you don't have ammo available for them.

The drivers license and storing ammo behind the counter policies are in response to a combination of laws on age restrictions (from GCA) and storage (like NYC ammunition law).  The big conglomerates tend to adopt the "lowest common denominator" in the laws so as to have consistent policies for training purposes across the entire company.  For example, employees at Walmart are supposed to keep ammo locked up, check IDs for age, and, if you are going to check out at a location other than sporting goods, walk the ammunition to that counter for you.    Other retailers have other policies for meeting the laws.

I have been told there is an exception to the above for powder, however.  Several dealers have told me there is a rule for the amount of gunpowder they can have available on the shelf at one time. I have never been able to find the actual laws for this so am not sure if this is a state or federal regulation.  Regardless, they often have more in stock than what is on the shelf.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #503 on: March 03, 2013, 06:09:41 PM »
At the gun show today , 40 year old bricks of .22s 60.00  , 50 round boxs of blazers 9.00,
i did see some tula steel case .223 for 10.00 a box, they had plastic bags of loose .22 250 rounds for 35.00 old stuff,unreal Ar15's 1200 and up to 2300. most hand guns were 100 to 1500 higher than they should be on a good day. and they must have dug out every hunk of rust to try andd sell.

were people buying 22 lr at that price?

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #504 on: March 03, 2013, 06:38:48 PM »
The pistol ammo shelves at Cabelas had zero boxes of common calibers.  If you're a 41 Remington Magnum fan, there were a couple of boxes.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #505 on: March 03, 2013, 07:30:22 PM »
were people buying 22 lr at that price?

I didnt see much being bought, i just shook my head and kept going.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #506 on: March 03, 2013, 11:48:01 PM »
More frustrating than the current inventory is not knowing when it will improve.  Should we sit tight and cut down on practice, or will things be normal by June?

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #507 on: March 04, 2013, 02:05:56 AM »
More frustrating than the current inventory is not knowing when it will improve.  Should we sit tight and cut down on practice, or will things be normal by June?
From what I'm seeing on the ordering side, and what I'm hearing from vendors, it's getting worse before it gets better. IMHO, June is WAY too optimistic. I'm hoping by the end of the year it will start correcting. Here's hoping!

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #508 on: March 04, 2013, 02:53:47 AM »
Friday I went into a Wholesale Sports in Federal Way, WA.

It was picked over pretty good, only having premium or self-defense rounds in exotic (.454 casull, .45gap, 10mm, .357sig, etc.) and a small amount of revolver rounds.  I grabbed a box of .38spl gold dots, only because I didn't have any manufactured .38 at home and it seemed like I should.

I'm now thinking the old advice about sticking with NATO calibers is total crap.  Whoever has a handgun in .41mag, .357sig or 10mm can still get whatever they want in most stores.  On the rifle side every store, inc. WM has .270 in stock at a low price. 

The gun counter dude jokingly told me within 2 hours of the store opening 3 people asked for 9mm, .223 and .308.  Apparently he felt it was common knowledge that the entire universe is sold out of those calibers.

I've seen the same thing.  I can find lots of .243, .257 Roberts, .270, 7mm Rem Mag, and .330 Win Mag.  I don't have any of those calibers, yet.

The wisdom of having NATO caliber weapons is that during normal times you can get that ammo a lot cheaper than the less popular calibers.  But I don't think it makes sense to avoid other calibers and ONLY have NATO ones.  You want your main weapons to be of common caliber to take advatage of bulk buying at cheapest rates when supplies are good.  Then have secondary arms in odd calibers for shortages.

Offline Bob Spelled Backwards

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #509 on: March 04, 2013, 04:10:38 AM »
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere or if it is just too stupid of a question..... but is it legal to buy ammo from Canada and bring it back to Michigan?