Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2016)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 381273 times)

Offline ADKwarrior

• Survivor
  • MSB Member Omegaburn
Re: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #510 on: March 04, 2013, 06:54:05 AM »
The wisdom of having NATO caliber weapons is that during normal times you can get that ammo a lot cheaper than the less popular calibers.

Plus if things go real bad you can resupply off the fallen gov. troops and such.  Ammo shopping this weekend was the same as the rest, 1 box of .22lr (50rnd), Got a case of shotshells #7 1/2 for 69$, nothing else has changed.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:06:27 AM by ADKwarrior »

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #511 on: March 04, 2013, 10:01:04 AM »
Plus if things go real bad you can resupply off the fallen gov. troops and such.  Ammo shopping this weekend was the same as the rest, 1 box of .22lr (50rnd), Got a case of shotshells #7 1/2 for 69$, nothing else has changed.

Good point, but the same fallen .gov troops probably dropped their M4s as well.
If things are that bad, we can do like Rambo and trade up.  Start with a rock, and end up with an RPG.

I'm just sad that high power rifle competition could be a real downer this season.  I was hoping to take some more classes, but no way can I shoot high volumes of ammo costing near $1/rnd.  I don't have enough stockpiled for SHTF + recreational/practice + formal training  :(

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #512 on: March 04, 2013, 10:15:13 AM »
Didn't Rambo forge a knife from a piece of steel he found on the ground or something? I don't think he started out with just a rock.

Offline ADKwarrior

• Survivor
  • MSB Member Omegaburn
« Reply #513 on: March 04, 2013, 11:24:36 AM »
I'm just sad that high power rifle competition could be a real downer this season.  I was hoping to take some more classes, but no way can I shoot high volumes of ammo costing near $1/rnd.  I don't have enough stockpiled for SHTF + recreational/practice + formal training  :(

Thats why i have redoubled my focus on my shotgunning since even .22lr is out. Loads of shot available in my area though. Cant wait to attend my first shotgun class this summer.

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #514 on: March 04, 2013, 12:30:15 PM »
I have finally seen shortage in the common rounds I shoot most 9mm and .22lr. I had heard of shortage of .22 locally, but have been able to pick up a 1000 every time I go. 3-4 weeks back,  1 guy I heard had an issue was only looking for a small box of .22 for a new gun, I am sure they had 300-1000 per box, he was just in the wrong location of store. That store was out of anything but birdshot for .22. Had nothing in 9mm.

They had shelves of .45 and .40. all seemed about normal pre rush pricing. They also had 30-40 boxes each of .44 magnum, and .357.

I picked up a 1000 tin of  7.62×39mm for $175.

Overall, I picked up about 2000 rounds, many in calibers I do not comonly shoot, I figured I can use a new gun, or trade if I get hard up. They were limiting sales to 2 boxes per person per day, and there was a guy chatting up every customer, pointing out the sign in a friendly way.

The handguns were picked clean of anything I would buy. Normally the case holds about 200 handguns, and they were down to 30 guns at best, most big caliber revolvers.

There were 3 Century Arms AK47 for $850 new and 3 stripped down ARs for $1000. The AK were $550 at Christmas time.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #515 on: March 04, 2013, 01:33:08 PM »
I have seen STRIPPED DOWN or BASIC AR's asking prices of no less than $2500 on Armslist.com since January. AK's have been listing around $1500 / $2,000.

However, as I check right now, it looks like people are dropping prices or just taking them off the market (as in the people figuring out they are not going to make a $2,000 profit on a gun they bought at full retail a year ago).

I am thinking when ammo starts to show up in the stores once again this whole gun scare might die down a little bit and then I can run out and grab a couple of these overpriced guns before the NEXT big scare...

Sick of feeling like the "gun" version of the dingbats waiting in a 20 mile long line for 5 gallons of gasoline after the hurricane!

Offline gundog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • It's the dog....not the gun.
« Reply #516 on: March 04, 2013, 02:15:23 PM »
I listened to a podcast who had the president of Brownells as a guest. When questioned about what the future holds for ammo availability and pricing he guessed......by june or July the combination of manufacturers ramping up and customers giving up trying that prices will come down and availability will rise.

He felt this will cause a mini spike again as people realize that ammo is becoming available and will become buyers again. That will be a short one and by september things will have leveled out at the new normal.

YMMV......just thought it was an interesting and well thought out theory from someone who has a chance at actually making an educated guess.

I know I have basically stopped buying ammo....I refuse to pay what the asking price is and hope it comes down at some point.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #517 on: March 04, 2013, 03:13:38 PM »
I was able to pick up 6 boxes of 00 buck for the 12 gauge. No handgun ammo and zero .22. A few misc rounds of some hunting rifle cartridges but that was it.

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #518 on: March 04, 2013, 05:07:13 PM »
I was able to pick up 6 boxes of 00 buck for the 12 gauge. No handgun ammo and zero .22. A few misc rounds of some hunting rifle cartridges but that was it.

Fleet Farm in Chaska had every conceivable shotgun ammo, with no upper limit on purchase.

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #519 on: March 04, 2013, 05:13:01 PM »
Hmmm...not sure what they meant.  Selling ammo is perfectly legal so by definition there is no black market.  And I can confirm that the big retailers locally do not have extra ammo set aside (I know the managers in charge of ammunition for several of them).  Though I do know two mom & pop dealers who have massively raised the prices of the ammo they have out to keep it on the shelves.  But if you buy a gun (or they know you are a good customer) they will sell it at the pre-inflated rates.  It is hard to sell guns if you don't have ammo available for them.

The drivers license and storing ammo behind the counter policies are in response to a combination of laws on age restrictions (from GCA) and storage (like NYC ammunition law).  The big conglomerates tend to adopt the "lowest common denominator" in the laws so as to have consistent policies for training purposes across the entire company.  For example, employees at Walmart are supposed to keep ammo locked up, check IDs for age, and, if you are going to check out at a location other than sporting goods, walk the ammunition to that counter for you.    Other retailers have other policies for meeting the laws.

I have been told there is an exception to the above for powder, however.  Several dealers have told me there is a rule for the amount of gunpowder they can have available on the shelf at one time. I have never been able to find the actual laws for this so am not sure if this is a state or federal regulation.  Regardless, they often have more in stock than what is on the shelf.

Well I did give some tips here on how to procure ammo but........ anyway, I used the term "black market" erroneously, maybe "grey market" would've been a better term, not one I made up, found it in Wikipedia. But I do absolutely stand behind everything I stated in that post!!

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #520 on: March 04, 2013, 05:16:44 PM »
Fleet Farm in Chaska had every conceivable shotgun ammo, with no upper limit on purchase.

Fleet Farm in Chaska? Where? I left there 20 years ago and I know they've had a lot of development but I am curious as to where that would be, and is it Mills Farm & Fleet or Blain's? How about the Klinglehutz True Value, do they sell ammo?

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #521 on: March 04, 2013, 05:27:06 PM »
I got my order of 1,000 .44 240 gr bullets from Missouri Bullet on Friday, and my order of 500 .308 168 gr AMAX from Powder Valley today. Both were ordered in mid-February.  Still no word on the 5,000 Wolf primers (Bruno's) and 1,000 .40 Montana Gold bullets ordered at the same time, ut I am expecting those could take another month.

I've seen a few powders show up on the various web sites, but just one or two at a time and they sell out again in a few days.  I really wanted to try out some IMR 8208XBR and CFE223 but it may be several months before those are available.  For now I have plenty of components for what I need to reload, but I may start cutting back from shooting a few hundred rounds per range trip to just a hundred or so.  I might also switch to shooting more 9mm which is a secondary caliber for me and be more conservative on shooting my .40 ammo which is my primary handgun cartridge. In the past I only shot .22LR occasionally, but since I have 25K of that I will likely start doing 1/3 of my shooting at the range with the .22 guns.

Local stores are tapped out or what they get in is gone within a couple of hours.  I don't need anything so will not wait around for it.  Just make adjustments to how much and what I shoot to stretch out supplies. In today's climate you just never know what will be hard to get a year from now or further out.  If things do not improve politically or supply-wise in six months I will make further reductions and shifts.  I could theoretically stretch what I have to at least 25 years if I ratchet it down to just 200 rds per month.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #522 on: March 04, 2013, 06:08:04 PM »
Fleet Farm in Chaska? Where? I left there 20 years ago and I know they've had a lot of development but I am curious as to where that would be, and is it Mills Farm & Fleet or Blain's? How about the Klinglehutz True Value, do they sell ammo?

It is Mill's and it is new.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #523 on: March 04, 2013, 06:15:45 PM »
I can't find bullets and powder for .357 Sig anywhere.

My favorite gun shop looks bare and empty inside.  I stopped in to see if I could pick up a few little things and cci mini mag ammo.  They were out of all .22lr.   

Stopped in the new gun shop down the road.  Every time I go in there I run into someone I know and today is no exception.  They didn't have anything I was looking for either. 

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #524 on: March 04, 2013, 07:18:20 PM »
    OK re-loaders, I'm probally shooting myself in the foot, but here is what I've found so far. At Natches they still have Nosler Varmageddon .224 bullets. 40 gr HPFB $12.99/100 and .224 SPFB 40 GR LEAD FREE for $12.49/100. In Hornady's bullets they have .224 45 gr Hornet  at $15.83/100.
   All these bullet will open fast, but should be fine for target shooting. Good luck to all.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #525 on: March 08, 2013, 01:57:57 PM »
Someone gave me some (qty 185 rounds) once-fired .45 ACP brass a few months ago.  I put it on Craigslist and sold it for $30.

endurance

« Reply #526 on: March 08, 2013, 02:23:38 PM »
If anybody in the area wants some 9mm brass, I have more than a lifetime's worth and wouldn't mind bartering some away, especially if you're local to Colorado and it doesn't involve shipping costs.

Availability is improving for 9mm and 5.56, but prices remain high around here.  I'm still not finding CCI MiniMags (.22LR) in any quantity at any reasonable price.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #527 on: March 08, 2013, 02:51:19 PM »
Online, mini mags have been from 13-18 cents per round.  Used to be 7 cents! Bulk is $0.06-$0.10 per round, and sells out within minutes and crashes the web page of whichever retailer puts it up.

www.gunbot.net (no affiliation) has a beep alert that sounds when stock is added to any of the retailers it monitors.  I'm sure this and other bots like it are contributing to the quickness the ammo is selling, but at least we can see what's out there.  Myself - I'm holding out for prices to come back down!

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #528 on: March 08, 2013, 02:54:34 PM »
I listened to a podcast who had the president of Brownells as a guest...

Gundog - if you don't mind, what was the podcast? I'd like to listen to it.

Offline Practical Prepper

• Prepper
« Reply #529 on: March 08, 2013, 02:54:57 PM »
Here in the northern utah area thinks seem to be starting to trickle in problem is that its not enough to stem the demand so it goes really quickly. Big 5 gets their loads on mondays and sportmans here gets a load on tues and thur these are really good times to check. I was able to pick up a brick of 22lr blazers and it appeared that sportsmans had some higher end 40 and 45

Offline Call

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Canadian = envy my health care, pity my gun rights
« Reply #530 on: March 08, 2013, 09:38:23 PM »
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere or if it is just too stupid of a question..... but is it legal to buy ammo from Canada and bring it back to Michigan?

Stay the hell away from our Northern ammunition, Yank!

(in all seriousness, I am not sure. I know that American dealers have been calling our Ontario ranges to buy up stock, but that is likely different than an individual trying to get some and cross back over. My good friend works for Canadian Customs Agency and says that the U.S. side is upping their smell hounds at the border stations that can smell powder, oil, etc to prevent smuggling back into the States)

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #531 on: March 09, 2013, 04:41:40 PM »
    OK, I've been doing some research on swagging your own jacketed bullets. Corbin has a compleat kit for 22cal. bullets for $1650. This includes the press and all the dies to make differant weight .224 bullets using 22LR cases for jackets or purchased benchrest jackets. They also have dies for making jackets or gas checks from brass foil. They sale everything for manufacturing bullets you could want.
   If you wanted to be independent or start a small business, you might want to look into this.

Offline PlunjProtection

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #532 on: March 09, 2013, 06:38:06 PM »
Gun show in North Texas today.  .22 LR from $80 to $250 (yes, that's not a typo) per box.  I'm not sure who's buying at that price.  But I had someone approach me before I even made it into the show and sold five boxes of 550-round boxes for $50 each.  I couldn't believe it since I acquired it at $15 per box, but didn't feel too bad since the lowest price around was $80.  There was XM193 and similar loads for about $1 a round.  Green tip was higher.  Quantities of 5.56 and 7.62 x 39 were not great, but it could be found for elevated prices.  Magazines were relatively scarce and outrageous prices.

Local stores from Walmart to gun stores have no or limited quantities at outrageous prices.  As I'm sure you know, the big suppliers online are and have been wiped out.  I'm not selling self-defense caliber cartridges.  Who knows when that is coming back at good prices.

I'm tempted to take half of my stock of 22 LR to the next show and liquidate it and buy again when it is available, I'm guessing 60-12 months for 22LR. When it comes back in quantity I expect it to be around $25 a box and maybe down to $18-20 if we are lucky.  The days of $15 a 550-round box or gone, and $5-$10 a box are long gone.

My suggestion is that unless you really need it, hold off.  This run-up just confirms that I've never felt bad about acquiring ammo at a decent price but have certainly regretted not picking it up at a good price when I could have. 

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #533 on: March 10, 2013, 07:19:50 AM »
The Gander Mountain in my town restocked ammo last Wednesday after closing.

Thursday morning there was a line of 150+ people waiting to get in and buy ammo.

The line started forming at 6:30 AM. They opened at 9 AM. They were sold out by 10 AM.

It's been like that for weeks.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #534 on: March 10, 2013, 10:06:29 AM »
Just spent a week in low country pig hunting. Stopped at sportsmans warehouse in Columbia, SC on the way down, and the way back.

They had low stocks of semi-auto pistols. There were no rifles that were semi-auto, lever action, feed from a detachable magazine, or were tactical looking.

There was tons of pistol ammo, as long as you were shopping for 454 casull, 460 s&w mag, 480 ruger, and 500 s&w mag. Everything else was gone. There were small quantities of small bore cartridges that are only chambered in bolt actions, as well as most common magnums used for deer.

Tons upon tons of shotgun ammo, though their supplies of lead bird shot loads were noticibly reduced. The only slugs and buckshot loads to be had were in 20 gauge.

Reloading supplies were bare. I did manage to find a box of hornady interlock 30 caliber bullets for reloading 30-30, which i picked up. The only other 30 cal bullets were the oddball weights of berger match bullets, all heavier than 180gr. They had several 1000ct bricks of federal large magnum pistol primers, for $34, so i went ahead and picked up one. There was 1 100ctto box of 50bmg primers during the first stop, it was gone during the stop on the return trip.

The only brass they had were for the rarely used in north america, or the rarely used anymore, cartridges. 300 and 375 H&H Mag, 416 rigby, 470 nitro express, 32-20, 40-65, etc, along with the previously mentioned behemoth pistol cartridges.

I even saw a guy walking around with his phone trying to look up what cases he could cut and form into what he was looking for.

It was good that i didn't stop in for reloading supplies or ammo in the first place. They happen to have the best selection of camping equipment and cast iron cookware that i've found.

Offline ADKwarrior

• Survivor
  • MSB Member Omegaburn
« Reply #535 on: March 11, 2013, 06:54:33 AM »
This weekends trip to my local WalMart producted nothing.  They had lots of 12ga #7 1/2 and #8 in lead and a few boxes of steel shot, a handfull of 12ga slugs(foster and sabot), lots of 20ga in 100rnd boxes and standard hunting loads. As far as anything else it was grim.  300rnds 9mm, 1 bx of 40s&w, a bx or 2 of .270 and 30-06 and lots of federal 7mm.  Store says they haven't received ammo in weeks. 

Oh 3 box limit a well.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #536 on: March 11, 2013, 08:37:44 AM »
This was two weeks ago at the local Mills Fleet Farm here in Lakeville, MN

I stopped by there yesterday and now there is nothing and they said it has been empty for weeks. (the whole ammo isle is like this- a few shotgun rounds and misc high dollar hunting rifle rounds but the rest is baron)

Offline gundog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • It's the dog....not the gun.
« Reply #537 on: March 11, 2013, 08:41:30 AM »
This is crazy......stop people! Stop buying severly overpriced ammo. Just stop.

Your money is better spent on other preps for a few months.

Buy ammo that is at regular price where ever you find it...if all you can find is shotgun shells stock up on those for now until other pricing comes down a little. We are being our own worst enemies on this.

When the new "normal" establishes itself in a few months.....whether its 2 months from now or 10.....stock up then. Heck you would be better off to set the money aside for now and buy later.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #538 on: March 11, 2013, 08:57:23 AM »
This is crazy......stop people! Stop buying severly overpriced ammo. Just stop.

Your money is better spent on other preps for a few months.

Buy ammo that is at regular price where ever you find it...if all you can find is shotgun shells stock up on those for now until other pricing comes down a little. We are being our own worst enemies on this.

When the new "normal" establishes itself in a few months.....whether its 2 months from now or 10.....stock up then. Heck you would be better off to set the money aside for now and buy later.

They are not jacking up prices. This IS regular priced ammo and they can not keep it in stock.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #539 on: March 11, 2013, 09:04:03 AM »
The new normal may include a 20% price increase. 

When I first got into reloading my ammo, the price of primers just increased to $30/1000.  I remember the older guys all complaining how they'd paid less than $20/1000 for so long, and how could this be happening.  Being a newbie, I lacked this context.

If we're entering a world, where retail ammo costs nearly $1/round - I fear this hobby will go the direction of top fuel dragsters and yachting.  Basically a rich man's activity.  If that happens, it won't be long before we lose a lot of innovation and broad cultural support.