Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2016)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 378209 times)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #570 on: March 16, 2013, 02:26:38 PM »
So people are "copy canning" ammo now.  Large numbers of people are trying to buy 6 months or a year worth of ammo in a matter of weeks.  Of course you can't find ammo.

The stupid high prices are awesome because that means if you have to get ammo and you really really mean it, you still can.  If you dont want to pay that, then don't and wait.  Or dont and spend lots of time surfing for deals, or wait in line for two hours in the cold before the store opens the day they get their shipment in.

The high prices are also good because it provides the profit incentive to fix the supply problem.

I had a spare semi-auto rifle.  The prices got so stupid high that I decided to sell it.  The prospect of profit caused me to add that rifle to the supply to help alleviate demand.  The higher profit margin is an incentive to manufacturers to make more, distributors to try to import more, used rifle owners to sell their rifles.

Some guys who had a ton of ammo laid up are putting it on gun broker now because the perspective of profit is high enough. 

The high price of ammo (where it hasnt been kept artificially low by some "dont price gouge" meme) also keeps sunday drivers out of the market.  Johnny "I never go to the range" is less likely to buy when prices are stupid high.  If the prices are kept low we are all left like a bunch of Soviet workers waiting in line for hours for the chance to get an orange.  At least in a free market we are priced out of it fair and square.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #571 on: March 16, 2013, 04:58:34 PM »
I am just hoping the supply of .22lr increases before I run out of ammo. 

My friends and I run a couple of ladies only shoots a month at the local gun clubs.  I don't want to have to turn away brand new shooters because we can't get ammo.   If things don't improve classes this fall will be interesting. 

I can see people having problems attending an Appleseed event if this keeps up.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #572 on: March 16, 2013, 06:27:03 PM »
I am just hoping the supply of .22lr increases before I run out of ammo. 

My friends and I run a couple of ladies only shoots a month at the local gun clubs.  I don't want to have to turn away brand new shooters because we can't get ammo.   If things don't improve classes this fall will be interesting. 

I can see people having problems attending an Appleseed event if this keeps up.
The issues with appleseed are already here.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #573 on: March 16, 2013, 07:43:49 PM »
I figured.  I just haven't had a chance to sit down with my favorite Appleseed instructor and chat about it.   

Offline Call

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Canadian = envy my health care, pity my gun rights
« Reply #574 on: March 17, 2013, 08:19:57 AM »
Still no issues here in southern Ontario. I bought a 525 pack of Winchester hollow-points at one outfitter ($23.75) and a 500 pack of Federal at another ($22.00). The clerk at the second place said they had no shortage concerns at this time, the only thing he had trouble getting from the U.S. were certain types of handguns that had increased in demand down south.

d3nni5

« Reply #575 on: March 18, 2013, 06:24:50 AM »

BulkAmmo.com has .22LR for .14/rd

http://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-22-lr-ammo-22lr40grsolidcenturion-5000

5000/rnd pack.   If you are MSB, you should get a free ammo can w/ this purchase.

d3nni5

« Reply #576 on: March 18, 2013, 07:24:18 AM »

http://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-22-lr-ammo-22lr40grsolidcenturion-5000

5000/rnd pack.   If you are MSB, you should get a free ammo can w/ this purchase.

gone!

They had 22 in stock (5000 rnds each) and it is gone in less than 1 hour.  110,000 rounds of .22LR from one site, just in that time.   Crazy.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #577 on: March 18, 2013, 07:51:39 AM »
Wow that was fast!

endurance

« Reply #578 on: March 18, 2013, 08:55:19 AM »

OMG!  $0.14/round for no name .22 shells?  $70 for a brick?  That's insane, but I guess as long as they found 22 customers willing to buy in under an hour, it's whatever the market will bear.  Yikes!

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #579 on: March 18, 2013, 08:57:09 AM »
Who are these people stocking up at these prices? Sheesh!

d3nni5

« Reply #580 on: March 18, 2013, 09:00:38 AM »

I'm curiously watching this site this morning.   I have see those above actually go out of stock and back in stock 3 times now.   Very weird, not sure if folks buying them are not completing transactions, returning to stock?   

Too rich for my blood, but goes to show folks are still buying like crazy.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #581 on: March 18, 2013, 09:04:02 AM »
According to a range buddy, several vendors at the Tanner Gun show in Denver had bricks of .22 priced between $60-$80 recently.

Offline Virginian

• Survivor
  • The Virginian
« Reply #582 on: March 18, 2013, 09:16:13 AM »
Who are these people stocking up at these prices? Sheesh!

I'm sure some of these people are planning on selling at a price many times their cost if inventories don't return to normal in the near future.

These people, greedy or smart??

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #583 on: March 18, 2013, 10:53:54 AM »
Smart risk takers (if it works) this is a capitalist country (in theory)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #584 on: March 18, 2013, 10:55:08 AM »
Hypothetical:

I've got 5 unopened bricks of Fed Champion (525 packs).  I paid $15.99 each last December.
I've also got about 8x 100 round packs of CCI minimags that I've accumulated over the years.

While it seems like a douchey move on my part, what if I found a buyer willing to pay $500 or more for that stash?  That would deplete my .22lr nest egg (leaving a few hundred rounds for minimal practice), but I could go afford a whole new gun for that money, or make an extra car payment.  Also, it stands to reason there'll eventually be more .22lr made.  As far as I know, DHS isn't consuming this stuff (yet?).

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #585 on: March 18, 2013, 11:09:58 AM »
I think it's made worse in NY because of the law taking effect next year that will require background checks on ammo and any "large" purchases to be reported. I still do not know what constitutes a large purchase.

There was a lot more variety available in 12 gauge shells yesterday. More guns on the racks and there was actually a Mossberg Lever in 44 magnum on the rack. The lever guns have been all but dried up lately.

I been wanting to pick up at Marlin at some point. No rush. I've been wanting to get one for years now so why rush.

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #586 on: March 18, 2013, 11:41:30 AM »
Hypothetical:

I've got 5 unopened bricks of Fed Champion (525 packs).  I paid $15.99 each last December.
I've also got about 8x 100 round packs of CCI minimags that I've accumulated over the years.

While it seems like a douchey move on my part, what if I found a buyer willing to pay $500 or more for that stash?  That would deplete my .22lr nest egg (leaving a few hundred rounds for minimal practice), but I could go afford a whole new gun for that money, or make an extra car payment.  Also, it stands to reason there'll eventually be more .22lr made.  As far as I know, DHS isn't consuming this stuff (yet?).

When state and federal agencies can either not afford or cannot get 5.56 ammo with which to train, yes, .22lr is on the list with conversion kits. The private firearms instructors began accepting the use of .22lr in classes back as early as 2008-2009.  I suspect .22lr be one of the last calibers back on the shelves in large quantity because of the affordability factor. People will likely keep gobbling up the supply as fast as it can be manufactured. Don't forget this current 'panic' has brought a whole new demographic of firearms & ammunition buyers to the forefront, newbies with ZERO supply with which to begin.

A gun without ammo. is a stick with metal attached to it. May has well have golf clubs if one has no ammo., IMO. YMMV.

Link to story of "Thousands" waiting in line to purchase ammunition at a recent Sacramento gun show  http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/03/16/thousands-line-up-outside-cal-expo-gun-show-to-buy-ammunition/
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 11:48:21 AM by Bonnieblue2A »

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #587 on: March 18, 2013, 03:20:21 PM »
Hypothetical:

Well, therein is the rub!  If you are confident the supplies will eventually catch up then sure why not sell?  However, if you think some really bad stuff is about to happen in the next year, that .22LR could be pretty handy. Not just legislation, but Zero Hedge and Market-ticker are predicting our economy to collapse in the next two years.

Personally, I could make a lot of money on mags and ammo. I have multiple unopened 250 rd bulk packs of 9mm, .40, .45 and .38 and I reload so I could sell those and hardly miss them.  I have over 150 AR mags most of them unused, and near 100 AK mags, most never used.  I have close to 25,000 rds of .22LR and 2,000 rds .223 unopened and near 2,000 milsurp .30-06.  Do I plan to sell any of it? Nada.  I have given some away to family and friends including some primers and bullets.

It seems to me the very worst events happen with the least notice and by the time you know something is going to happen then supplies dry up and there is nothing to be done about it at that late date.  What I do know as an absolute guaranteed event is our economy is going to collapse violently.  I don't know the timing.  Some say this yea, some say within two years, some say within the next ten years.  It has taken me several years to accumulate what I have for preps and I have no plans to sell one item off now when I know the biggest disaster in our history is upon us.

Legislation is just the icing on the shit sandwich we are about to e served and I want my ammo.  ;D

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #588 on: March 18, 2013, 04:55:52 PM »
*if* I had 10x the stocks I have, *and* I had other preps that were lacking (even mundane stuff like paying off debt, or buying tools),  I personally feel this is a strong opportunity to liquidate some.

I once knew this kid in S.C.  He was real handy with cars and engines in general.  He would get junker cars for a few hundred bucks and get them into minimally reliable daily drivers for next to nothing.  They were all ugly as sin, with an average blue book under $1K a piece.  At one point he had over a dozen such cars.  Considering how little financial investment he'd made, his "fleet" was rather impressive.  The truth however, he told me he'd trade them all for a used Honda Accord he could rely on to get to work every day.

I'm not really sure where I was going, and apologize for digressing  :-[

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Mr. C ..... Das Ugly Mutt
« Reply #589 on: March 19, 2013, 12:42:12 PM »
Just got off the phone with my brother in law up in the North Western corner of Washington State.

He told me that a brick of 22 rim fire shells is now going for $100.00 at Cabala's!!

Guess I'll be using my slingshot for awhile.

Steve

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #590 on: March 19, 2013, 01:29:52 PM »
Holy crap! I was just in the main Cabela's store at their West Virginia headquarters (always a madhouse) — they were GUTTED of all handgun ammo except for a large shelf of 45 ACP. They seemed to have most other rifle / shotgun ammo in stock, but the shelves were 50% bare.

The GUN COUNTER however has a friggin DELI COUNTER NUMBER system and from what I could gather, there was a 2hr + wait to get someone behind the gun counter to even SPEAK to you...

The Gun Library room, which I don't even understand the difference between that and the "regular" gun counter (they don't seem to have a very different selection between the 2) — did not have a huge line of people.

They did not seem to have ANY rifles of any caliber more powerful than a .22 — and the ammo prices I did see were RIDICULOUS. We were only there to find a relatively inexpensive gun safe to keep our curious toddlers away from the handguns in the house — and found a good deal, along with some other good deals.

But like any sporting goods store, some deals are better than others.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #591 on: March 19, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
Hypothetical:

If all it leaves you with is a few hundred rounds I wouldn't do it... easy for me to say since I have 3300 rounds for sale on gunbroker right now, which still leaves me at least 30,000 round of 22LR, so I'm not hurting.

Essentially I am trading a few thousand rounds of 22 for a new suppressor (22 also) and having my 10/22 takedown barrel treaded.

I would not feel comfortable with only a few hundred rounds (or even a few thousand) but if you do its hard to pass on the current prices.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #592 on: March 19, 2013, 05:37:21 PM »
If all it leaves you with is a few hundred rounds I wouldn't do it... easy for me to say since I have 3300 rounds for sale on gunbroker right now, which still leaves me at least 30,000 round of 22LR, so I'm not hurting.

Essentially I am trading a few thousand rounds of 22 for a new suppressor (22 also) and having my 10/22 takedown barrel treaded.

I would not feel comfortable with only a few hundred rounds (or even a few thousand) but if you do its hard to pass on the current prices.

If and when .22lr ammo reappears, I want to try some subsonics in my 10/22.  I just replaced the charging handle with one from Kidd.  Motivation was to get something easier for my 9 year old to grab onto, but the bonus is it comes with 3 springs: subsonic, regular and hypervelocity.

I've already polished and slightly chamferred my bolt, so I figure it's possible to get it to cycle.  Then, and only then might I consider adding a can.
Though I'd want a second 10/22, as mine is setup like an M1 Carbine, with wood stock and USGI iron sights.

d3nni5

« Reply #593 on: March 20, 2013, 05:50:48 AM »
If and when .22lr ammo reappears, I want to try some subsonics in my 10/22.  I just replaced the charging handle with one from Kidd.  Motivation was to get something easier for my 9 year old to grab onto, but the bonus is it comes with 3 springs: subsonic, regular and hypervelocity.

I've already polished and slightly chamferred my bolt, so I figure it's possible to get it to cycle.  Then, and only then might I consider adding a can.
Though I'd want a second 10/22, as mine is setup like an M1 Carbine, with wood stock and USGI iron sights.

Same here, but instead of the semi-auto route, i'm going bolt action for a quieter .22LR.   My thinking is that if I do need to make that ultra quiet shot, that I'd like the entire action manual to allow for cycling when I want it.   I also don't have to worry about the whether the 10/22 feeds it or not.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #594 on: March 20, 2013, 05:10:19 PM »

Same here, but instead of the semi-auto route, i'm going bolt action for a quieter .22LR.   My thinking is that if I do need to make that ultra quiet shot, that I'd like the entire action manual to allow for cycling when I want it.   I also don't have to worry about the whether the 10/22 feeds it or not.

Yes.  That is ideal.  I have a decent 4x32mm Nikon scope waiting for such a .22 bolt gun.  Had this in mind:
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIITR

Offline ADKwarrior

• Survivor
  • MSB Member Omegaburn
« Reply #595 on: March 21, 2013, 07:36:26 AM »
Hit my local Super Wally World last night and their shelves were completly bare with big out of stock signs listing pretty much every round they carry.  They informed me that ammo does not last more than 1 hour after their shipment come in.  They had full stock of Federal 12ga #7 1/2 shot 100cnt Boxes for either 26 or 29$ though that was it.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #596 on: March 22, 2013, 05:23:30 PM »
I would like to take out my 10/22 and get my shit together for an Appleseed shoot. I have enough rounds to practice with, but I cannot fathom replacing what I shoot. Bulkammo.com has 50 rounds for $24. That is frackin' ridiculous. I cannot pull the trigger on a 22 and think there is $0.50 going down range. Screw that. Back to gardening and buying Mountain House.

inbox485

« Reply #597 on: March 22, 2013, 05:52:57 PM »
I would like to take out my 10/22 and get my shit together for an Appleseed shoot. I have enough rounds to practice with, but I cannot fathom replacing what I shoot. Bulkammo.com has 50 rounds for $24. That is frackin' ridiculous. I cannot pull the trigger on a 22 and think there is $0.50 going down range. Screw that. Back to gardening and buying Mountain House.

Those prices are temporary to keep horders at bay. If you have the ammo and it isn't your emergency storage, use it to learn to shoot strait. Precision shooting takes time and practice. Do one AS, and you can close the gap between you and a rifleman with dry fire at home. When you can do the AQT dry within time and be comfortable doing it, then wait for ammo prices to calm down (if they haven't already) and get patched.

If you stocked ammo for training in case times got sparse, now is that time. Get trained.

inbox485

« Reply #598 on: March 22, 2013, 05:54:16 PM »
PPU .40S&W JHP has been plentiful at WM for ~$20/box last few times I've checked. .270 and odd sized shotgun has also been there. EVERYTHING else has been gone.

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #599 on: March 23, 2013, 04:36:21 AM »
PPU .40S&W JHP has been plentiful at WM for ~$20/box last few times I've checked. .270 and odd sized shotgun has also been there. EVERYTHING else has been gone.

Why so much .380 .40 and .45? .380 is the cheapest I have seen in years.

I am seeing regular pricing here again in MN. $.05 per .22 round. $.06 for .22 magnum, I can run in most my deep conceal guns. $17.99 for 100 winchester 9mm. All is limit 2 per caliber.

I am just doing different training. Guns I do not like, I collect, I hardly ever sell, just like my investment in stocks, silver and gold, all long term investments. I trade in silver, and take it as payment for services rendered. The guns are to be handed down. I want, "Grand-dad hated this gun for is kick, but trained with it during the ammo drought of 2012/2013." Hell, the story goes," Grandma carried this gun in her bra holster!"

.380 .40 and .46 is widely available.

.22 is running $.05 a round. .22 Mag is $.06

$17.99 for 100 9mm winchester. I think I paid $28 each for 50 Corbon (what I carry in my GLOCKs). Great ammo, it is my favorite.

Reloading supplies are GONE unless you know someone.

$299 for DPMS lowers available

$930 for bushmaster AR in .223 with a standard receiver 1 30rd mag (no others available). In stock for last 3 weeks.

$805 for new AK47 Century Arms no foreign stamp?? Looks American made. In stock for last 3 weeks.

Hundreds of AK 30rd Magazines for $29. I tried to sell a few on Armslist, with little replies. Did not sell any, just added to collection. I need a good profit to make it worth the risk. I am an AK guy. I'd rather have an AK, than a fncking AR. Cuz if the fed come to fetch ya you and your AR are going out on a stretcher. I know they are great guns, but I like my guns to go bang EVERY time. ARs can be finicky. They are awesome tricked out (I have some) but i like the AK as my go-to gun. I would rather defend with this and a GLOCK 9mm than any other combo in a SHTF.

I am very close to a LEO that had colt 9mm carbine with 3 round burst, that "stovepiped" during what was believed to be an active shooter scenario. He loaded the mag, racked and it stuck like a loaded stovepipe. If it was my call, that gun would be retired. But, I a just the computer guy, so what do I know...

Plus, I think new shooters like the look of the AK. It is what has stopped, started, and been poster child for many worthy revolutions (and even more BAD ones!) Girls want there pictures with AKs, not ARs. ARs can lok like a hunting rifle, even the most lame duck AK47 looks cool for pictures.

I have no need to shoot beyond 100 feet. Beyond that is not self defence in America. If we get bad enough I need more accuracy, I am not sure I am living in a world I want to live in. I can do a 5 inch dinner plate unstopped at 100 yards with my "everyday" AK, it was my first, and is my go-to rifle. It has hundreds of thousands of rounds, and goes bang every shot, even with crap ammo. I do not clean it as I do other guns, and it NEVER malfunctions. It is loose, sloppy and very accurate.

Sorry for the rant. Had a very stressful week.

Ammo is for the most part easily findable in the Twin Cities of Minnesota. .22LR can still be tricky, but you need to be ready to buy. You may end up with a jerk with family stocking up, and you have to wait 2 days. Or you score 2000 rounds for $40, and your wife also. I saw a skid go to 1 guy and his friends and family, 2 boxes at a time, all cash. I hope it was for an appleseed or something, not just a huge stockpile, or for resale.

7.62 and .223 can be had in 750 $230 and 1000 $300 tins. Depends on how nice you want the ammo. 7.62 in my AK cheap ammo has been keeping me happy for rifle training.

All is limit 2 per caliber.