Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2016)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 394419 times)

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
Re: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #630 on: March 29, 2013, 08:09:30 AM »
I don't know if a conversion kit would help. I don't see any .22 anywhere.

Walmart was sad yesterday. No pistol ammo at all. The only thing they had was a few boxes of .270, 7 mm, .17 HMR and birdshot.

endurance

« Reply #631 on: March 29, 2013, 08:49:22 AM »
I broke down and bought 500 rounds of .223 on bulkammo.com for $389. I just want to be able to shoot my AR-15 every once in awhile and be ready for zombies. I could not take it anymore.

I need to get a .22 conversion kit. I'll troll the forums on that.
I just got this in a marketing e-mail from Sawtooth Tactical: http://www.sawtac.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29853

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #632 on: March 29, 2013, 01:32:34 PM »
I just got this in a marketing e-mail from Sawtooth Tactical: http://www.sawtac.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29853

I got the same thing. I'm wondering if I should just stick with shooting and improving my 10/22 skills or get a conversion kit. Indecision has set in. ;-)

endurance

« Reply #633 on: March 29, 2013, 03:51:19 PM »
I got the same thing. I'm wondering if I should just stick with shooting and improving my 10/22 skills or get a conversion kit. Indecision has set in. ;-)
It's like trying to figure out if you should buy a car for the better mileage or start reloading to save money.  Once you calculate in the upfront costs to get started, the pay off tends to be way down the road. 

If you already have a 10/22 to train with, personally, I'd stick with that.  Even at the astronomical cost of $80/brick ($0.16/round), it's still a fraction of the cost of 5.56, but when you average in the start up cost of $225 (shipping, too), the math gets pretty tricky.  You could shoot 1,406 rounds of $0.16 .22lr rounds for the cost of the kit.

Without the Ruger 10/22, the math is easy.  The converter costs the same as 265 rounds of 5.56 (at $0.85/round), so in just a few hundred rounds it would pay for itself.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #634 on: March 29, 2013, 04:32:14 PM »
whether to get the conversion kit depends on your spot on your training curve. if you are just starting out, hold off and learn the fundamentals.  if you are at the point where you need more familiarizing with a go to weapon, then the conversion kit suits your needs. As always, the tool should be chosen for the job. the kits for 22 in an ar are great for learning the AR, but the don't always provide top notch accuracy, so to learn marksmanship, there are better tools.

in my I'm not coming home battle gear I keep a ar conversion kit and a glock 19 22lr slide with 300 rounds of minimag 22lr ammo, for the long term haul they are great to have. again the job determines the tool

Offline towles

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #635 on: March 29, 2013, 04:35:13 PM »
I found 5 boxes of 525 rounds of 22 today. Paid a little more than I should have, but it was quite the find. Nearly 3k rounds of 22 is very hard to find much less in one place.

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #636 on: March 29, 2013, 06:50:24 PM »

I need to get a .22 conversion kit. I'll troll the forums on that.

I found some Federal .22, 36 gr copper plated last night for only 21 cents a round... :jaw-drop:

All things considered you did ok on the 223

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #637 on: March 29, 2013, 11:51:46 PM »
It's like trying to figure out if you should buy a car for the better mileage or start reloading to save money.  Once you calculate in the upfront costs to get started, the pay off tends to be way down the road.

That all depends on what you are reloading. I paid for my reloading equipment within the first 2 months of purchasing it, and have saved well over $1000 since.

nelson96

« Reply #638 on: March 30, 2013, 02:36:39 AM »
With discussions of reloading, shortages, and where all that ammo is going, ever wonder how .22lr is made?  Here are two video's featuring just one manufacturer (CCI) who pushes out a wopping 4 million rounds a day out of their Lewiston, ID plant.

Video 2 shows accuracy testing of their "Select" brand made to shoot well in semi-auto's and it achieves 3/4MOA  :o

Video 2 also shows penetration examples from the many options they offer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvK9QlQtrKI&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EdNkfTS0lOQ&list=UU7qB--C24DexdVB1GOTgbJQ
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:45:26 AM by nelson96 »

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #639 on: March 30, 2013, 09:43:20 AM »
If you already have a 10/22 to train with, personally, I'd stick with that.  Even at the astronomical cost of $80/brick ($0.16/round), it's still a fraction of the cost of 5.56, but when you average in the start up cost of $225 (shipping, too), the math gets pretty tricky.  You could shoot 1,406 rounds of $0.16 .22lr rounds for the cost of the kit.

Without the Ruger 10/22, the math is easy.  The converter costs the same as 265 rounds of 5.56 (at $0.85/round), so in just a few hundred rounds it would pay for itself.

Good cost analysis.

Having seen 50ish of these conversions on the line at Appleseeds, there are a couple things that should be considered in addition to price.  One is that several of the drop in conversions don't have a bolt hold open or have it as a separate option which limits your magazine options.  I have seen this cause some problems on people transitioning from the rimfire to centerfire as they end up racking the bolt during centerfire rather than using the release.  Another issue is that you will need to adjust your optics between switching as the 22 zero wont match the 556 zero.  So, a general rule which needs to be followed religiously is that after using the conversion you need to reset and verify your zero on the centerfire.  Another issue is that some of the conversions have proven unreliable with a variety of ammo. So, it isn't just a matter of finding 22 ammo, it is a matter of finding ammo which will work with the conversion.  From what I have seen, CCI seems to be the most reliable.  Finally, mag prices tend to be quite high for conversion kits ($20 to $40 is common).  So that needs to be considered in the above analysis.

Dedicated uppers tend to be a lot less ammo sensitive and depending on configuration can avoid the re-zeroing issue.  So while they are more expensive it may be a better match. 

All this said, I believe that setting up a dedicated Liberty Training Rifle is the way to go.  Either a Ruger 10/22 or marlin 795 with tech sights creates a good training rifle with a similar sight picture to the AR.  You don't even need customizing skills to get a rifle like this now that the Marlin Appleseed Liberty Training Rifle is rolling out:

And it won't cost much more than the conversion kit with mags.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 09:49:49 AM by iam4liberty »

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #640 on: March 30, 2013, 10:31:20 AM »
Shortage of .22's here.  They do make a great barter tool.  My husband realized he had more .22's then he thought, and with everyone in town begging for .22's he traded with a local pawn shop for a new rifle and cash equal to what he'd originally paid for the bullets.   

When the word got out that the pawn shop had .22 ammo, people flocked to the store.  She had a new policy in place, ammo only sold to those who also buy a gun of some sort.    Now she did have .223 ammo and so do several on the local gun/ammo trade group.  But the .22 ammo is quite scarce locally.

Offline glacierspyder

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Posting Zombie
« Reply #641 on: March 30, 2013, 05:54:09 PM »
I agree with TxMom. Got some cool loot on trades for a brick of .22 shells from local people. Locally here in my area of Michigan all the main chain stores are out of everything besides .270, .30-06, shotgun shells and some of the wildcat calibers. Most of the private local shops are getting supplied with more ammo every week still not able to find .223, 5.56 or 7.62 x 39. If they do have those calibers your paying around $20 for a box that cost $10 last year. Also if you find a place with a good supply of P-Mags in stock their going from $45-$60 a piece. The local shop I deal with got a small order in and had to raise the price to $20.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #642 on: March 31, 2013, 03:46:35 PM »
I went to the gun range today and asked to buy some .22lr. They actually had supply. 50 rds for $8.95. I bought two boxes.

What I have found is the gun ranges and small stores are the only place where you have a chance at supply unless you want to stand in line at Academy on Tuesday morning when they unload. I don't!

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #643 on: April 01, 2013, 11:21:05 AM »
I went to the gun range today and asked to buy some .22lr. They actually had supply. 50 rds for $8.95. I bought two boxes.

What I have found is the gun ranges and small stores are the only place where you have a chance at supply unless you want to stand in line at Academy on Tuesday morning when they unload. I don't!

I hope that was match grade or something else special.  It wasn't that long ago Winchester or Federal .22lr was $2.99/50rnd

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #644 on: April 01, 2013, 01:19:23 PM »
I hope that was match grade or something else special.  It wasn't that long ago Winchester or Federal .22lr was $2.99/50rnd

Sadly, probably not, I have auctioned off bulk packs of federal, 550 rounds for $80+

That's the market right now.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #645 on: April 01, 2013, 02:03:02 PM »

Sadly, probably not, I have auctioned off bulk packs of federal, 550 rounds for $80+

That's the market right now.

Yep. Nothing special. I asked just to see if they had any and they did. I am not hurting for .22lr, but want to at least replace what I shoot. Since I shot <20 rounds before figuring out my scope mount was loose (damn it all tho hell!) I am now +80 rounds. Yeehaw! ;-)

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #646 on: April 01, 2013, 05:24:23 PM »
OK team.

It looks like ammo prices are finally starting to break. For weeks,1000 Rounds of .223 Ammo by Federal American Eagle - 55gr FMJ has been $919 on Bulkammo.com. Today, the price dropped to $899. That is my .223 market index for bulkammo.com. Yeah, a 2% drop is not much, but it is something.

Last week, I bought 500 rounds for $389 and felt like I got a deal in the post-Newtown world.

Over at luckygunner.com, they have 1000 rounds for $855.

Frankly, I am going to save up some money and buy some of these:

http://www.luckygunner.com/12ga-3-uranium-drone-load-tacnition-5-rounds

;-)

So, it look like the cost curve is coming down. Hang on a little longer if you can and you could save some bucks.

Offline sirosisofliver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #647 on: April 02, 2013, 08:09:43 AM »
I purchased some CCI mini mag .22LR at Cabelas for $8.99/100rds.  They only allowed 100rds per customer per day.  Also snagged some Herter's 7.62x39 @ $6.99 box.  My local WalMarts are starting to have Tula 7.62x39 for $5.19/20, and Winchester .40SW Value Packs (100rds) for $36.
        I think things are starting to break free.  Also, when .223 hit those prices, I sold my 2k rounds when offered a nice sum of money.  I used the proceeds to buy a Saiga 5.45x39.  I held back 300rds for my Kel Tec SU16, but its a trunk gun not my MBR.   Comparable accuracy to a 5.56, and the available Russian surplus ammo while mildly corrosive, is available and at $384/2160 rds, its cheaper than .22LR according to what I have seen for sale online! :o

endurance

« Reply #648 on: April 02, 2013, 09:21:04 AM »
Frankly, I am going to save up some money and buy some of these:

http://www.luckygunner.com/12ga-3-uranium-drone-load-tacnition-5-rounds

;-)
Yep, definitely gotta get me some of those.  I wonder what they smell like?  ;)

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #649 on: April 02, 2013, 06:58:36 PM »
I purchased some CCI mini mag .22LR at Cabelas for $8.99/100rds. 

Good price. I paid twice that this weekend. What area of the country?
        I think things are starting to break free. 

I am starting to get that feeling myself. First, there was no ammo available at any price, anywhere even on line. Then, you could get ammo, but only if you were prepared to pull the trigger and drop $1 every time you sent 55 grains down range. This persisted, but then you could hunt around and there was some ammo on the shelves. Sure it was 2X what you paid pre-Newtown, but you could get it if you really wanted it. Now, there are more places with ammo on the shelf and the gun ranges and small shops will pull more than 2-3 boxes off for you to buy. Bulkammo.com has backed off their >$900 per 1000 rounds of .223.

I can feel it. But then again, if I could price ammo, I could price the price stock of GE or silver. But I can't so I wait for things to play out.

As it is, I got my shipment of 500 rounds of .223 on the porch today so I am feeling good about the impending zombie apocalypse. YMMV.

Offline dep190

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #650 on: April 02, 2013, 07:26:32 PM »
Just Checked my local Walmart and the had five one hundred round boxes of Forty Caliber at 35.77 a box and a couple boxes of 30/06 hunting rounds and a few rounds of bird shot! :'(

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #651 on: April 03, 2013, 02:38:48 PM »
  Gun's Galore had one or two boxes of everything except 9mm. All out of small pistol primers.

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #652 on: April 04, 2013, 07:30:16 PM »
  Gun's Galore had one or two boxes of everything except 9mm. All out of small pistol primers.

I haven't been able to find any for months.  I may have to get out of .223 before it gets any worse.

Offline rodgers65

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #653 on: April 04, 2013, 11:35:09 PM »
This was the first week I seriously ran http://www.gunbot.net/ in the background while at work.  I set the alarm for 35 cents a round for 9mm and 10 cents for 22lr.  After a lot of close calls but failed attempts, I finally landed 500 rounds of some generic 9mm at 30/round and 500 rounds of Eley Sport at 7/round.  I actually thought that was a great price on the 22. 

I think the trick was being pre-registered on most of the sites ahead of time, ready to pounce.  Seconds count when half the country is trying the same thing.  I've seen 150+ boxes of 500 rounds go in less than three minutes.  It's crazy. 

Today a local gun shop had hundreds of boxes of 223 come in.  $19.99 for a box of 20.  I'm not that hard up... yet.  The funny part was the guys hanging out at the counter there.  They weren't blaming Obama or DHS for the shortage.  No, they were placing the blame squarely on the "damn Preppers" for hoarding it all.  That made me chuckle. 

nelson96

« Reply #654 on: April 05, 2013, 06:47:24 AM »
The funny part was the guys hanging out at the counter there.  They weren't blaming Obama or DHS for the shortage.  No, they were placing the blame squarely on the "damn Preppers" for hoarding it all.  That made me chuckle.

Now there's ignorance for ya. . . .  My so-called hoarding is the reason I haven't had to buy a single box of ammo during this shortage.

Offline Northern-Lights

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #655 on: April 05, 2013, 08:51:05 PM »
Now there's ignorance for ya. . . .  My so-called hoarding is the reason I haven't had to buy a single box of ammo during this shortage.

I finally broke down and made a bulk purchase of .308 ammo the other day.  I just wasn't finding it anywhere.  While I agree that things look like they are starting to loosen up just a bit.....I'm still not finding .22 or .308 ammo anywhere.  So, I bit the bullet (so to speak) and jumped on it when I had the chance. 

If nothing else.....because it is FMJ, it will be good practice ammo.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #656 on: April 06, 2013, 10:48:16 AM »
I went to the Pasadena, TX gun show today. Ammo prices where high, but I did pony up for 2 X 525 rounds of .22LR for $200 and scored 200 rounds of .223 for $130 including tax. I also bought two PMAG's for $25 each (not bad, not great).

The 9 mm prices were outrageous ($1 / round was the lowest I saw). I really need some 9 mm so I can go to the range.

I think I am just about ready for the zombie apocalypse and far past the ammo amount necessary for terrorist designation!

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #657 on: April 06, 2013, 12:57:06 PM »
A quick scan of a few local stores -
   -- there are some 12 ga shotgun shells available - but the choices are very limited and are of the higher end game loads.
  -- Zero 22lr ammo
  -- 7mm mag rifle ammo out the wazoo
  -- some defensive rounds, but little in the way of generic target for 9mm, 40 cal, etc

"Lots" of PMAGs - so I figure that the $100 dollar magazine peak price is gone, but it is common for 2x+ on some normal magazines.

Almost zero brass, primer limit has bumped from 100 to 500 at the large store, 2k limit (but out of stock at others)

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #658 on: April 06, 2013, 02:35:51 PM »
I was in a small mom and pop store today. They wanted 25 for a box of 30/30s. I can still find them elsewear for 13.

nelson96

« Reply #659 on: April 06, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
I was in a small mom and pop store today. They wanted 25 for a box of 30/30s. I can still find them elsewear for 13.

I'm finding in my area that the small gun shops have ridiculous prices for ammo and the big box stores have ammo for reasonable prices.  Firearms are pretty reasonably priced at small gun shops but big box stores aren't.