Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2016)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 381373 times)

Bonnieblue2A

Re: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #660 on: April 06, 2013, 03:22:07 PM »
I checked ammo shelves recently while on a long drive through the SE USA. I found next to no handgun ammunition at the Macon, GA area Bass Pro. The few boxes on the shelf were for 41 & 44 magnum as well as a couple of boxes of Federal in 38 special. I felt fortunate to find a few boxes of 100 count Winchester handgun primers (large and small).  Shotgun ammunition was plentiful at what I would consider "normal" supply. Bass Pro was holding their prices at pre-shortage prices.

The best overall ammunition supply I found was at The Outpost Armory (near Murfreesboro,TN). Significant supply of rifle calibers, some handgun calibers, plenty of shotgun. Prices were somewhat inflated but not ridiculously so. Frankly, I go there for the sheer experience of the place and not "deals".

Finally got to see the MRAD up close too.   :excited:

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #661 on: April 06, 2013, 10:10:39 PM »
Now there's ignorance for ya. . . .  My so-called hoarding is the reason I haven't had to buy a single box of ammo during this shortage.

Ditto,  I've got a comfortable level and was thinking of trading ammo for a 10/22.  I need a takedown.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #662 on: April 06, 2013, 10:52:38 PM »
Ditto,  I've got a comfortable level and was thinking of trading ammo for a 10/22.  I need a takedown.

If you want my opinion, don't trade ammo for gear. Ammo is more scarce than equipment to shoot it. Just my observation. Then again, I have a 10/22 Takedown and ammo to work it, so my bias is showing. Then again, I see takedowns available at reasonable prices while .22lr is either not available or extremely pricey.

d3nni5

« Reply #663 on: April 07, 2013, 06:24:01 AM »
What are your maximum prices on various rounds?   I'm just throwing #'s out there, because I honestly don't know for myself.   Interested where others are calling it "too much".   

Keep in mind I'm mainly interested in target/practice ammo.   I don't mind paying a premium for self defense or "purposed" ammo, but I'm also not throwing that down range regularly...(although I will every now and then, particularly if I want to try a new product out).

These are my main calibers...

.22LR---.05-.07/rd
9mm--------.25/rd
7.62x39----.30/rd
.357 mag---.50/rd

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #664 on: April 07, 2013, 08:11:03 AM »
What are your maximum prices on various rounds?   

These are my main calibers...

.22LR---.05-.07/rd
9mm--------.25/rd
7.62x39----.30/rd
.357 mag---.50/rd

I guess my "price point" moves in relation to how much ammo I have. If I have sufficient quantities then I am not willing to pay so much. For instance, I now have sufficient .223, but it cost me $0.80 / round and, recently, $0.65 / round to get there. On the flip side, I have insufficient 9 mm. What am I willing to pay to get some range ammo and also some defensive? Higher, much higher. If I see a "deal" what would I pay to pick up some extra stock? These are my two price levels.

So, here are my insufficient/sufficient quantities:
                          Need       Deal
.22LR                $.20/rd    $0.07/rd
9 mm                $0.8 /rd    $0.25 / rd
9 mm defensive  $1 /rd  $0.70/rd
SG 00 low recoil  $1/rd   $0.70/rd
.223                   $0.8     $0.5 /rd

endurance

« Reply #665 on: April 07, 2013, 08:53:46 AM »
So, here are my insufficient/sufficient quantities:
                          Need       Deal
.22LR                $.20/rd    $0.07/rd
9 mm                $0.8 /rd    $0.25 / rd
9 mm defensive  $1 /rd  $0.70/rd
SG 00 low recoil  $1/rd   $0.70/rd
.223                   $0.8     $0.5 /rd
Even what you say is a deal today was outlandish 14 months ago.  That's where I can't figure out how to readjust my value system.
Between November 2011 to April 2012 I paid the following:
.22LR $0.0362 ($19/525)
9mm  $0.19 ($165/1000 + $25 S&H (you could buy 2,000 rounds for the same shipping, too, if you wanted to save more))
.223  $0.41 ($189/500 x2 + $25 S&H)

Now it all seems crazy.  Part of me wants to replace what I shoot, but part of me believes things will calm down in the next couple of years and if I just train more with .22LR and less with 9mm, .223 & .308, I'll weather this storm just fine.  So far, the only thing I've paid a premium for is CCI MiniMags because my Ruger Mark II doesn't feed the cheap Remington stuff I have stored very well.  I can get away with running just the last four rounds in every mag with the MiniMags and I'm "only" paying $9/100 for 40% of a magazine and $0.0362 for the other 60%.

It's a strange kind of economics we're resorted to.  I can only hope that in a few years we can look back at this and laugh, while plinking away all day with $0.04 .22LR ammo.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #666 on: April 09, 2013, 09:30:30 AM »
I doubt we will see any return to normalcy until Obama is done with his 4th term.

nelson96

« Reply #667 on: April 09, 2013, 09:32:15 AM »
I doubt we will see any return to normalcy until Obama is done with his 4th term.

He's young, how do you know his reign will end with a 4th term?

Offline Virginian

• Survivor
  • The Virginian
« Reply #668 on: April 09, 2013, 09:56:26 AM »
He's young, how do you know his reign will end with a 4th term?

STOP, Your scaring me!!

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #669 on: April 09, 2013, 10:01:53 AM »
http://www.ammoland.com/2013/04/ammo-manufacturers-producing-24-hours-a-day/#axzz2Pyyb5Cx2

So why the shortage? Ammo producers like Hornady say the cause isn’t government orders but a “politically-induced buying panic.” Although producers say they’ve seen buying panics in the past, nothing compares to what we’re experiencing now.

During panics in the past, gun owners bought up all the ammo they could; during the current panic, even people who don’t own guns have been buying ammo for the gun they might buy in the future. At the same time, first-time gun buyers have not only been buying guns but also every bullet for it they can find.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #670 on: April 09, 2013, 12:49:45 PM »
Copes Distributing has (as of yesterday) 12 ga buckshot for $150/case of 250 rounds, comes out to $0.60 per round. And that's after shipping, if anyone is interested.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #671 on: April 09, 2013, 01:25:59 PM »
Copes Distributing has (as of yesterday) 12 ga buckshot for $150/case of 250 rounds, comes out to $0.60 per round. And that's after shipping, if anyone is interested.

Good find. Until recently 12g buck was easier to find. Seems that supply is drying up too.

Offline ADKwarrior

• Survivor
  • MSB Member Omegaburn
« Reply #672 on: April 09, 2013, 02:22:20 PM »
MidwayUSA just got Winchester 12ga Military 00 9 pellet Buckshot in stock, pretty much $1 a round: 244.99 for 250rnds.  I think its some badass buckshot and buy it when ever its in stock.  I dont know how anyone would think 12ga ammo is drying up as i could find truck loads of it all over where i live and onine, including bulkammo.com...   

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Militant Vaxxer
« Reply #673 on: April 09, 2013, 03:14:17 PM »
MidwayUSA just got Winchester 12ga Military 00 9 pellet Buckshot in stock, pretty much $1 a round: 244.99 for 250rnds.  I think its some badass buckshot and buy it when ever its in stock.  I dont know how anyone would think 12ga ammo is drying up as i could find truck loads of it all over where i live and onine, including bulkammo.com...   

That's not too bad of a price, plus $25 shipping to me here on the left coast.  I've purchased multiple case-lots of Win Mil 00 from Midway for $194 - $235.  That was pre-craziness, of course.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #674 on: April 09, 2013, 04:10:08 PM »
So what makes the Winchester 00 worth the extra $100 per case over the Royal? I am genuinely asking and mean no disrespect.

$150 for a case delivered seemed pretty fair to me, ammo-crisis or not. I just like shotguns :)

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Militant Vaxxer
« Reply #675 on: April 09, 2013, 07:43:30 PM »
So what makes the Winchester 00 worth the extra $100 per case over the Royal?

Probably not as much as I'd like to think, besides the Grex buffering. 

But the OD hulls and dark brass are tacti-cool, right?  ::)

This dude takes them apart, if you want to peek inside:  http://youtu.be/CrJ3_qXxO_M

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #676 on: April 09, 2013, 10:03:34 PM »
Thanks for the link! It does look tacticool, pretty sweet.

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #677 on: April 10, 2013, 12:41:24 AM »
I just drove from Minnesota to the gulf of Mexico in Texas, and all I can say is holy sh!t. We stopped at every convenient walmrt, cabellas, bass pro shops, and I am pretty sure we hit everyone on I 35 south.

Minnesota has it great. I could have loaded up $500 in rounds and made the trip back and forth all day long selling rounds for 5x. The only thing I found consistently was .45. We saw some of .40, and some shotgun depending on the area. We went to a place called Authority in TX to get a fishing permits. They had 5 handguns for sale and 7 clean open racks.

My 8 year pointed and laughed, at the guy's rack (not knowing how touchy it was), "My dad has more guns then that in his bedroom safe!" So much for op sec.

I asked where they kept the ammunition, and they said up front. My kids asked the nice lady for a picture (not prompted from his super proud dad). "Why do you want you picture with the bullets, sun", she asked?

"Cuz ma'am, we have more boxes than that in 9 meelomeeter."

My wife just about died.

Seriously, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Texas, Lousiana.

I am going to make a run here in a month or so, we found a couple houses in Texas, and I will probably fund the next trip selling to shops along the way. Bass pro said they would buy anything they could get a case of. I think I can get 5x what I am paying here for bulk winchester if I did the math right. I also need to check shotgun, as they need they just to sell guns. People are buying brand new guns because they are promised 100 rounds, and they need them for hunting!

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #678 on: April 10, 2013, 04:19:28 AM »
Couple weeks back saw primers in stock on the shelvesand that seems to be continuing somewhat. Powder was available in large quantities for a bit but now has trickled down. Bullets (just the bullet) have been very spotty. Some manufactured ammo has been coming in. Everyone has been imposing limits on purchase quantities.

I'm sorry but I have 3 shooters in this house. Limits don't fly.

Offline ADKwarrior

• Survivor
  • MSB Member Omegaburn
« Reply #679 on: April 10, 2013, 06:56:10 AM »
I'm sorry its not to your liking but that is no reason but be rude! They kinda clash with my ACU's anyway LOL.
I like them as they are full power, buffered, have nice heavy hulls, and pattern better than the cheaper Royal shot from my custom 870 magnum. Once i get my barrel(s) Vang Comp done maybe the cheaper stuff will shoot better.  Also there is a bit of nostalgia as i remeber getting these a few times i drew ammo in the service and they performed great then as well, even for breaching.

MidwayUSA has service second to none as well so another case on the way as we speak ;)

Probably not as much as I'd like to think, besides the Grex buffering. 

But the OD hulls and dark brass are tacti-cool, right?  ::)

This dude takes them apart, if you want to peek inside:  http://youtu.be/CrJ3_qXxO_M

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Militant Vaxxer
« Reply #680 on: April 10, 2013, 07:47:35 AM »
I'm sorry its not to your liking but that is no reason but be rude! They kinda clash with my ACU's anyway LOL.
I like them as they are full power, buffered, have nice heavy hulls, and pattern better than the cheaper Royal shot from my custom 870 magnum. Once i get my barrel(s) Vang Comp done maybe the cheaper stuff will shoot better.  Also there is a bit of nostalgia as i remeber getting these a few times i drew ammo in the service and they performed great then as well, even for breaching.

MidwayUSA has service second to none as well so another case on the way as we speak ;)

Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff.  I've bought over a dozen cases from MidwayUSA over the last 5 years, and I will probably buy more once the craziness is past. 

Offline dep190

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #681 on: April 15, 2013, 09:13:47 AM »
I just returned from the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot and its huge Gun show!
They quantities of ammo were at the lowest I have ever seen at this event!
Retailers most of the time in years past have multiple pallets and pallets of ammo available for sale at excellent prices! This year The quantities of ammo  I saw were very low as well as the amount of components! Considering this is a free market gun economy I saw one guy selling bricks of 22 at $50.00 and another offering for sale Remington Subsonic 22 for a hundred dollars a brick! The Highest was a Hundred and fifty dollars a brick! The funny part some of the ammo was what appeared to be out of someones closet stash as it was older packaging. Their were a few who still had some reasonable prices on their products and I give them credit for that!  Evil High Capacity Magazines were at fair prices and many on hand and the components were in limited amounts were at fair to the guys smoking crack prices as one friend stated! 

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #682 on: April 15, 2013, 10:16:18 AM »
I just returned from the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot and its huge Gun show!
They quantities of ammo were at the lowest I have ever seen at this event!
Retailers most of the time in years past have multiple pallets and pallets of ammo available for sale at excellent prices! This year The quantities of ammo  I saw were very low as well as the amount of components! Considering this is a free market gun economy I saw one guy selling bricks of 22 at $50.00 and another offering for sale Remington Subsonic 22 for a hundred dollars a brick! The Highest was a Hundred and fifty dollars a brick! The funny part some of the ammo was what appeared to be out of someones closet stash as it was older packaging. Their were a few who still had some reasonable prices on their products and I give them credit for that!  Evil High Capacity Magazines were at fair prices and many on hand and the components were in limited amounts were at fair to the guys smoking crack prices as one friend stated!

The guy selling at 50 for a brick is below market. I can buy them for 50 and sell them for 80 all day long. I wouldn't, but I could.

Its a crazy market out there.

Offline Bennington1776

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Do you have a plan?
    • Preparedness Consulting Group, LLC
« Reply #683 on: April 15, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
Wonder what the fallout from Boston is going to do. 

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #684 on: April 15, 2013, 11:15:52 PM »
Wonder what the fallout from Boston is going to do.

It depends upon who did it, when they find out and whether or not they conveniently find a stash of weapons and "thousands of rounds of ammo" that could be used to connect the AWB and gun control to combatting terrorism.  (EDIT: I forgot to add that reloaders could be really screwed over if they used any popular gunpowders, though I'm not sure if burning smokeless powder would be as effective as an explosive substance.)

It might be a blessing that we didn't get the filibuster, as I'd rather see legislation defeated or the minimum damage done by the end of next week before anything comes out that could help the Dems. This could help pass the UBC regardless of whether the authorities find anything since it's easier to argue for doing a check on every transaction with terrorist about.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 11:25:28 PM by Canadian Prepper »

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #685 on: April 16, 2013, 07:19:48 AM »
Did you notice how many windows did not break. Also the amount of smoke. That did not look like a high velocity explosion.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #686 on: April 16, 2013, 07:29:27 AM »
Meanwhile, back to ammo shortages.  ;)

Offline ADKwarrior

• Survivor
  • MSB Member Omegaburn
« Reply #687 on: April 16, 2013, 01:10:40 PM »
For you online ammo shoppers:
 Ammo to Go has Centurion .22lr solid points 50pk instock at the moment, .18cents a round (not good but it is what it is).
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/22-long-rifle-solid-point

midwayusa has a pretty nice stock of all things shotgun ammo right now as well
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 01:21:31 PM by ADKwarrior »

Offline ADKwarrior

• Survivor
  • MSB Member Omegaburn
« Reply #688 on: April 17, 2013, 06:45:22 AM »
MidwayUSA has some .22lr trickeling in in the form of RWS 50 & 500rnd boxes. Still crappy prices at 79.95 for 500.

For you online ammo shoppers:
 Ammo to Go has Centurion .22lr solid points 50pk instock at the moment, .18cents a round (not good but it is what it is).
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/22-long-rifle-solid-point

midwayusa has a pretty nice stock of all things shotgun ammo right now as well

Offline mgw44

• Prepper
« Reply #689 on: April 17, 2013, 07:42:10 PM »
Still no ammo to speak of in west Michigan