Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2016)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 378059 times)

Offline Mexican_Hippie

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #750 on: May 21, 2013, 05:07:26 PM »
went into sportsmans, tons of scary black rifles on the shelf, not that many pistols (although more than last time). almost no (common caliber) ammo, only a couple boxes or primers and no powder.

so if you'd like an expensive black club...

You never know when you may need one...

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=43286

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #751 on: May 21, 2013, 06:11:49 PM »
didn't see that post, pretty crazy.

i forgot to mention that there were stands full of promag 30 rounders for AR and AK platforms, no pmags to be found though.

Offline TooMuchGlass

• Survivor
  • Learner
« Reply #752 on: May 21, 2013, 06:23:21 PM »
Walked into the only local store who keeps ammo on the shelf because they change prices to adjust to the market. 9mm was $30 a box of 50 for vanilla Remington. That's too damn steep for me. Problem is I have my CCW class coming up!

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #753 on: May 21, 2013, 06:34:46 PM »
Picked up a case of .22LR yesterday.  I'd rather have won the $600M lottery, but this is a close second.

Offline alan123

• Survivor
  • Prepping just makes sense
    • Made by Alan
« Reply #754 on: May 21, 2013, 07:08:04 PM »
My brother is a manager at Walmart and everyday at 7 am the same cast of characters comes in and buys what ammo they got in the night before. They are reselling it. This has been going on for months. Walmart doesn't jack up their prices because of the shortage. They did start to limit the number of boxes per day though.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #755 on: May 21, 2013, 08:00:40 PM »
My brother is a manager at Walmart and everyday at 7 am the same cast of characters comes in and buys what ammo they got in the night before. They are reselling it. This has been going on for months. Walmart doesn't jack up their prices because of the shortage. They did start to limit the number of boxes per day though.

that's been going on at my local walmarts for months. i think there's been a one box limit since january.

Offline mortgageboss

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Idaho Mortgage Guy
« Reply #756 on: May 21, 2013, 08:14:41 PM »
In my market (Boise, ID), the sportsman's warehouse has been pretty good on its prices.  You just have to catch them with ammo in stock.  I stopped by last week and was able to get most everything I wanted in limited quantity. 

We had a gun show this weekend, and there was ammo but stupid prices.  .22 lr for .10/rd and the .223 for 1.10 rd.  At least the ARs and standard capacity magazines were numerous and not too badly priced.

Offline Mexican_Hippie

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #757 on: May 22, 2013, 02:39:52 PM »
FYI, AIM Surplus has PMAGS in stock, no limit as of 3:30 Central on 5-22-2013

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MMAG571BLK

I know its not ammo, but they've been scare as well.

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #758 on: May 23, 2013, 01:52:10 PM »
Went to Cabelas Fort Worth last night.  It didn't have a ton of ammo, but there was plenty of 223, 308 and 7.62x39 steel case ammo in 20 round boxes.  They must have received a shipment.

The only rifle ammo you could buy in bulk was 30-06.  They had a fair amount of 30-06 cases.

Primers and powder were still scarce.

I have not seen a primer for ale at a store since December.

Offline Kilroy

• Survivor
  • Have gun, will travel
« Reply #759 on: May 25, 2013, 09:17:40 AM »
Just traveled across Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois and Wisconsin, stopping in at Scheels, Cabelas and WalMart whenever I found them.

Ammo is still in short supply, esp. the most popular handgun calibers and .22 rimfire.  From bare shelves to occasional lots of foreign made handgun ammo, shelves for pistol ammo were remarkably bare.  Common rifle calibers, except for .223, were more readily available.

Watch local stores for supplies.  Some may keep a list of who wants what in the ammunition department.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #760 on: May 26, 2013, 05:49:06 PM »
Not much pickings for cheap shotgun ammo to break in a shotgun / or just have fun with clay targets.  Now if I was looking for steel loads(2.5x the cost) for game birds I could buy as much as I wanted.

However, I was only able to find just one style box of "cheap" 10.xx a box 6 shot pheasant loads.

Offline dep190

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #761 on: May 28, 2013, 02:36:29 PM »
Checked a NE Ohio Walmart I have not been to before and they had zero handgun Calibers and a few rifle hunting loads and some bird shot!
Checked the Dunams store and they had zero hand gun calibers and zero .22 and some bird shot!
Noticed several classes that I signed up for have been cancelled due to lack of AMMO!

I cant even find Jacketed bullets or primers to load my own right now!

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #762 on: May 29, 2013, 10:01:47 AM »
Just traveled across Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois and Wisconsin, stopping in at Scheels, Cabelas and WalMart whenever I found them.

Ammo is still in short supply, esp. the most popular handgun calibers and .22 rimfire.  From bare shelves to occasional lots of foreign made handgun ammo, shelves for pistol ammo were remarkably bare.  Common rifle calibers, except for .223, were more readily available.

Watch local stores for supplies.  Some may keep a list of who wants what in the ammunition department.

Next time hit the Fleet Farms and Gander Mtn Gun Worlds.

I think up here in MN it is actually getting worse. Ammo on the Western side of WI is all but gone. But, Armslist has a few guys selling ammo at about what it was going for in December.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #763 on: May 29, 2013, 02:58:20 PM »
Yesterday at Big-5 I'm pretty sure I smelled some .40S&W, but I couldn't find it. I guess it might have been the taco bell next door. Hard to tell sometimes.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #764 on: May 30, 2013, 04:56:01 PM »
just walked through the local wally world and aside from obscure hunting calibers the shelves were bare. a couple boxes of 20g were around, but no 12g.

d3nni5

« Reply #765 on: May 30, 2013, 05:32:52 PM »

Everywhere you read, listen online....all says "Its gonna get better"   "Give it some time"   "Summertime"  blah blah blah

I'm tired of waiting honestly.  I'm not conspiracy minded person normally, but man what the hell gives.   We are 5 months removed from Sandyhook, same posts day after day. 

But I did hear something about .22LR at the gun store last Friday.   They owner there was talking about how labor intinsive making .22LR is and that the process is far less automated that one would think.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #766 on: May 30, 2013, 08:44:53 PM »
Alright , if Winchester is producing 4 million rounds of .22 a day and CCI is at 3.5 million , Remington is around 3 million . The most I have seen is 6 bricks come in to a gun shop.
Where the hell is it ?
I smell a BIG RAT.
I buy a case a year for my girls to shoot . Not this year.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #767 on: May 30, 2013, 11:45:48 PM »
Alright , if Winchester is producing 4 million rounds of .22 a day and CCI is at 3.5 million , Remington is around 3 million . The most I have seen is 6 bricks come in to a gun shop.
Where the hell is it ?
I smell a BIG RAT.
I buy a case a year for my girls to shoot . Not this year.

I don't mean to belittle your frustration, but those numbers average out to about 200 thousand fifty round boxes a day, while there are perhaps tens of millions of .22 rifles and pistols out there.  Now that everyone seems to think (rightfully in my mind) that they ought to have at  least a couple years supply on hand (wheras a couple months back only a small portion of shooters thought that way, at least about the .22LR), and it's no surprise to me that people continue to buy up ammo as fast as it becomes available.

I realized about the time that Sandy Hook happened that I only had just under a brick of American Eagle .22LR and a couple hundred rounds of mixed .22LR, Shorts and CBs, plus two or three boxes of .22Mag. I've upped that to about 10-11 000 rounds in the upcoming months and will never again let it fall much below that number. In Canada, that didn't cost me more than it normally would have to acquire, and except for one brand that came in sometime in February or March I could very well have bought it all at once. If on the other hand we had a panic just like the US and everyone tried to do the same simultaneously, we'd have been in the exact same boat.

Offline Bob Spelled Backwards

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #768 on: May 31, 2013, 04:28:47 AM »
I recieved an email notification at 9:01 last night from Natchez that the 9mm i've been waiting for is in stock
 I quickly grabbed my c.c, heart racing and all and started clicking away.  Mind you, this was at 9:36 when I checked my email on my phone. 

I was so sure this time would be fruitful but to no avail.  "Sorry, product unavailable at this time"....   motherfu....!

Same thing happened a few weeks ago!

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #769 on: May 31, 2013, 08:18:51 AM »
I recieved an email notification at 9:01 last night from Natchez that the 9mm i've been waiting for is in stock
 I quickly grabbed my c.c, heart racing and all and started clicking away.  Mind you, this was at 9:36 when I checked my email on my phone. 

I was so sure this time would be fruitful but to no avail.  "Sorry, product unavailable at this time"....   motherfu....!

Same thing happened a few weeks ago!

yeah, i've resigned myself to no shooting for a while until i can pick up ammo off the store shelves. there are plenty of others things i can do, although i don't like to do them as much. :(

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #770 on: May 31, 2013, 03:30:41 PM »
  OK boys and girls. Lets get on the right track. How easy is it to make primers, and powder for shooting use? No bombs. If we have to make our own,  lets stop and think. Whats the safest way?  How do we make a good product. Something we can use at the range. Do I have to replace the primer with a glow plug? The firing pin with a contact. Remington did it, so can we. At least for our bolt actions.
   Or just hang in there until elections. We have a great system, we just have to use it. I'm still seeing some ammo at Gun's Galore. 9mm, 40 and 45. Even 223. Not much 22rf.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #771 on: May 31, 2013, 03:49:56 PM »
Okay, I have cleaned up this thread a bit.

Stay on topic, which is 'Ammo shortages.'

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #773 on: June 03, 2013, 10:45:54 AM »
I almost ordered 2000 pistol primers for $120 (hazmat, shipping, etc. included), but then hesitated.  It shakes out to a 50% mark up over retail and it just annoyed me to pay that.
If there wasn't a 2 box limit, I might have "gone big" and leveraged the fixed hazmat fee.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #774 on: June 04, 2013, 08:02:45 AM »
Unable to find .22, .40, .45 or 9mm in Walmart of MO small town. 

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #775 on: June 04, 2013, 09:21:06 AM »
Unable to find .22, .40, .45 or 9mm in Walmart of MO small town. 

my wally world had nothing but to boxes of 380, i got one for my wife's pistol.

d3nni5

« Reply #776 on: June 05, 2013, 08:27:06 AM »
I scored 3 boxes of 22LR....CCI AR Tactical at walmart this morning.   I saw one case, she opened in front of the line at the counter.   10 boxes of 375 rnds each...3750 rnds total.   All gone in 5 min.

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #777 on: June 05, 2013, 09:13:39 AM »
I almost ordered 2000 pistol primers for $120 (hazmat, shipping, etc. included), but then hesitated.  It shakes out to a 50% mark up over retail and it just annoyed me to pay that.
If there wasn't a 2 box limit, I might have "gone big" and leveraged the fixed hazmat fee.

I agree, with the hazmat charge, non-bulk orders are not worth it.

Offline fnfalguy

• Survivor
  • Ever learning...
« Reply #778 on: June 05, 2013, 09:58:06 AM »
Was able to find 3 boxes of estate 00 buck at the Walmart locally this AM.  Tons of 260 Remington available though  ;)

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #779 on: June 05, 2013, 10:52:12 AM »
.223/5.56 is sitting on shelves here in CA. Granted, it's priced at $0.50-$0.75 per round, but it is nice to see it there.