Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2016)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 390811 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #780 on: June 05, 2013, 09:46:35 PM »
.223/5.56 is sitting on shelves here in CA. Granted, it's priced at $0.50-$0.75 per round, but it is nice to see it there.

Ditto in the greater Seattle area.  went into Coastal Farm and Ranch Supply after work.  Aside from shotshells, they had American Eagle .375mag ($31/50 rnd box), American Eagle .223 100 rnd pack for $49.00.  Think the only other pistol caliber was .45ACP.

There ammo is typically over priced, but I guess it's encouraging they had a couple things I use.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #781 on: June 06, 2013, 09:35:38 AM »
  I went into Guns Galore yesterday. They were finely out of 9mm. Still had some 44Mag, 25 ACP, 357 Mag, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 223, 308 and the oddball cal. Small pistol primers were $8/100. If you have money you can still buy some ammo. There were only 4 or 5 cars parked in front.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #782 on: June 08, 2013, 08:16:33 PM »
stuff seems to be coming back into stock. I actually got a call from a company I placed an order with online a couple of months back. The order had cancelled when they couldn't fulfill it. Couple days ago they got the item back in stock and called through those whose orders didn't get filled. I got some bullets for reloading for 223

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #783 on: June 09, 2013, 07:10:25 AM »
i was in a big 5 the other day a city over from mine. they had quite a bit of 308 and 223 on the shelves, not pistol calibers though, or 22.

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #784 on: June 09, 2013, 10:21:45 AM »
We're slowly getting ammo to trickle in. Our store consistently has one of the best selections around, considering our size. We are a preffered retailer for our vendors, so we get first dibs on a lot of product. That said, almost no good HV .22 ammo, and very little 9mm coming in. Doing okay on most others, but our prices are still up a bit. We're lowering them a little bit with each big shipment. 9mm and .22 are still at a premium though. Our 5.56 is down to 12.99 for X-Tac, and that seems to be some of the cheaper prices around judging by peoples reactions.

Even with ammo trickling in, I don't expect anything like "normal" at least through the end of the year.

Offline BamaPrepper

• Prepper
  • I tried to be reasonable...I didn't like it....
« Reply #785 on: June 10, 2013, 08:13:07 AM »
I picked up some .45 ACP this past weekend at my local big box store for $0.50 a round....PMC with a limit of 3 boxes, but they had plenty of it.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #786 on: June 10, 2013, 08:53:19 AM »
Unless you're competing or hunting big game,  $0.50/round is only reasonable if you have nothing else.

I easily go through 200-300 pistol rounds each month.  Sometimes that's done in one range visit.  No way I'd do it if it cost up to $150 each time.

Offline Bob Spelled Backwards

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #787 on: June 10, 2013, 07:22:12 PM »
Act fast if you want some 9mm re-manufactured.

http://www.freedommunitions.com/9mm-115-gr-RN-p/fm9r115r-b0500.htm

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #788 on: June 10, 2013, 07:58:22 PM »
Act fast if you want some 9mm re-manufactured.

http://www.freedommunitions.com/9mm-115-gr-RN-p/fm9r115r-b0500.htm

ouch, i remember buying a case of factory 9mm for that price

Offline Bob Spelled Backwards

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #789 on: June 11, 2013, 06:11:30 AM »
Haha I know,  at least you don't need to go through a middle man to mark it up, they do it for you at the factory!

d3nni5

« Reply #790 on: June 11, 2013, 06:48:50 AM »

I go to wal-mart early in the morning.   I always have, not just b/c of the ammo thing.   I do always walk by the sporting goods counter to just see what is there.

The checkout lady this morning asked ME if any ammo came in this morning!    LOL, I guess at least a few know me by now shouldn't be surprised.

Offline Call

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Canadian = envy my health care, pity my gun rights
« Reply #791 on: June 11, 2013, 04:18:38 PM »
Still no shortages at my local Southern Ontario (Hamilton) gun store. Full selection of .22 bricks, 5.56/.223, 7.62 (both 54 and 39) and pistol ammo. Still waiting for shortages to creep up because of the situation down south but it hasn't happened yet...

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #792 on: June 11, 2013, 04:41:05 PM »
Still no shortages at my local Southern Ontario (Hamilton) gun store. Full selection of .22 bricks, 5.56/.223, 7.62 (both 54 and 39) and pistol ammo. Still waiting for shortages to creep up because of the situation down south but it hasn't happened yet...

For the most part I can vouch for Call's assessment, though a friend of mine just made a bulk purchase of about 10 000 rounds of 9mm with a couple other shooting buddies, saying that he's been seeing 9mm drying up around here. I had to pass on it, but at least it looks as though we've still got options currently unavailable to the south of us.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #793 on: June 11, 2013, 08:43:05 PM »
Any one finding ammo in SE Wisconsin?

looking for 40 S&W

d3nni5

« Reply #794 on: June 12, 2013, 06:40:38 AM »

Dick's Sporting Goods in my town had a varity of handgun calibers...32ACP, 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP...ball and defensive.   Shelves weren't full, but still it was there.

.223 as well, $9 a box of 20 I believe.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #795 on: June 12, 2013, 11:49:20 AM »
To summarize what I've read in the past week or so on this thread:

1) many mainstream cartridges can be found at local retail levels at increased prices (20-50% more)
2) less common rounds remain in decent supply
3) some popular cartridges like .22lr are like hens teeth.  A handful of private sellers or local shops are selling at astromical rates.

What to do?

My local ranch supply store had .223 in a few different packages, but at $0.49/rnd I passed. 
Is this the new normal?
Will prices ever return to those from a year ago?
Will they decrease a bit?

Maybe I should start buying because I physically can.  In the future I'd rather have 1000 rounds I paid too much for than 0.

nelson96

« Reply #796 on: June 12, 2013, 01:01:52 PM »
Maybe I should start buying because I physically can.  In the future I'd rather have 1000 rounds I paid too much for than 0.

And bingo was his name-o . . .  Obviously if you have a good stock of ammo already, then it may be smarter to do a wait and see.  If you don't, then you better look at re-doing your budget and allowing for some ammo purchases.

This situation really puts a new perspective on past threads that asked "how much ammo should I stock up on".  I'm glad my gutt told me that there is no such thing as too much (and I still wish I had more). 

Offline Call

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Canadian = envy my health care, pity my gun rights
« Reply #797 on: June 12, 2013, 02:39:17 PM »

If you needed it, what would you be willing to pay for it right at that moment to get it? If the answer is "anything", then any other price is still cheaper.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #798 on: June 12, 2013, 03:33:12 PM »
If you needed it, what would you be willing to pay for it right at that moment to get it? If the answer is "anything", then any other price is still cheaper.

totally agree, however i have some in my safe so i won't pay these prices until i know that's where they're staying. i've relegated myself to dry fire practice and my pellet gun since i can do those in my home and it's free/cheap.

if i didn't have any ammo then i would be paying the prices today to get some. while i don't have as much as i want (you can never have enough) i have enough for right now.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #799 on: June 12, 2013, 04:04:02 PM »
It's foolish to abstain from practice if you are have hundreds of rounds stashed.  Better to be up to speed with only a few magazines loaded up, then get rusty while a case of ammo collects dust.

At least that's my rationale when going to the range lately  :-[

nelson96

« Reply #800 on: June 12, 2013, 04:08:33 PM »
It's foolish to abstain from practice if you are have hundreds of rounds stashed.  Better to be up to speed with only a few magazines loaded up, then get rusty while a case of ammo collects dust.

At least that's my rationale when going to the range lately  :-[

Whatever makes you feel better  ;D

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #801 on: June 12, 2013, 05:58:47 PM »
i figure this is a good time to work on muscle memory. i read an interview with JJ Ricaza where he said he was lucky if he got to the range once a week due to logistics. he said most of his practice was dry firing at home.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #802 on: June 12, 2013, 08:28:57 PM »
Added 325 rounds Federal AutoMatch .22LR to an order from Midway USA 3 days ago (1 box limit per order).  Arrived today.  $14.95.   :clap:

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #803 on: June 13, 2013, 08:20:13 AM »
An update on Hornady...

Three months ago Hornady acknowledged receipt of my order for 500 .308 bullets.

This was a rebate from buying a Hornady reloading press. What they call a "redemption" order.

After three weeks of waiting with no delivery, I gave them a call. I was told all about the high demand and how they're doing all they can and producing all they can (yadda. yadda) and that it would be another 3-6 weeks before they could ship my order.

Ooooo-kay....

Today (nine weeks later) I called them again. Now the shipping delay will be 4-8 weeks.

That's estimated and definitely not guaranteed. The assured me it was not guaranteed. In fact, I would go so far as to say they guaranteed that the delivery date was not guaranteed.

Danielle, the secretary I spoke with, was very polite, and explained to me in great detail that they have added presses and people and they're running 24/7 and they're producing more and have more orders--yadda, yadda.

I guess I was doing okay until--I swear to God!--she told me that redemption orders are given first priority.

What a crock.

If redemption order were given first priority, mine would have been shipped the same day or the same week at the absolute latest.

What they're doing is cheerfully serving their large volume/cash customers first and scheduling their "redemptions" dead last.

I feel so unredeemed.

nelson96

« Reply #804 on: June 13, 2013, 09:19:45 AM »
What they're doing is cheerfully serving their large volume/cash customers first and scheduling their "redemptions" dead last.

I feel so unredeemed.

They already have your money.  If in their shoes wouldn't you build to sustain future revenue?  That said, they should be trying to find a happy medium between keeping old customers happy (so they come back) and bringing in new revenue.

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #805 on: June 14, 2013, 06:46:30 PM »
Here's the end of my update...and some interesting information.

After posting about my problem with Hornady, I jumped on their website, hit the Customer Service link and sent them a very specific letter of complaint.

I kept it civilized, but I peeled some serious hide at the same time.

This morning I got a reply that was very interesting.

It was not well written. It read like the writer was under tremendous pressure. It rambled and was kind of hard to follow. But here's what I got out of it:

Hornady would ship my order if they could, but can't because they have no .30 bullets in production and no .30 bullets in their inventory. They intended to add machines for .30 production over a month ago, but it didn't happen. They couldn't start producing .30 just for me (and others like me) because they would have to stop a dedicated machine, tear it down and retool it for .30--and that would simply take too long.

My take on the above is that Hornady has every machine running 24/7 to make a different caliber: my guess being .223,  or perhaps that and a small spectrum of other military rounds.

Their reply ended with the assurance that they would try to do something about my problem before the end of the day.

At about 6PM today I checked my email, and found a message saying that Hornady had shipped my order.

I think that if they actually have zero .30 inventory, as they claimed, they must have had someone break into their own personal stock and contribute 500 rounds to good customer relations. Or perhaps they sent someone out to buy some retail.

But in the final analysis, they shipped the same day they decided to solve the problem. 

I think the squeaky wheel got greased because it got pretty squeaky, and some seriously bad press might have resulted if the squeaking had gone viral.

Meanwhile, MidwayUSA has some Hornady .224, and apparently not a single .30. of any brand.

nelson96

« Reply #806 on: June 14, 2013, 07:06:28 PM »
At about 6PM today I checked my email, and found a message saying that Hornady had shipped my order.

Well their you go then, congrats.  I wouldn't read too much in to it.  Grease or not, they took care of you under inarguable stressful times.  I'm betting somebody recognized their failure and stepped out of the box to complete your order.

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
« Reply #807 on: June 15, 2013, 04:51:13 PM »
Plenty of ammo here in CO at OD Green Supply. I saw all the exotic calibers but even the popular calibers were available in good quantity. Prices were normal for these days ($40 for a box of .45 ACP), but I think I'll hold off for now.

Absolutely no .22 LR though :(

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #808 on: June 15, 2013, 06:09:51 PM »
Out of curiosity I looked in the gun aisle of our SW Michigan Meijers today.  All they had was some 12 gauge and 30-06.

Offline dep190

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #809 on: June 16, 2013, 05:37:46 AM »
My walmart had no handgun calibers or 22 or 5.56 223 or 7.62/39 and have absolutely no answers when the managar was aked how much the company has ordered last night!