Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2016)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 378158 times)

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
Re: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #1140 on: January 22, 2014, 08:00:37 PM »
I went to Academy last Saturday night and they had just about everything except.... .22LR  :(

nelson96

« Reply #1141 on: January 22, 2014, 08:27:22 PM »
There's no 22lr available to order when I go to Cabelas.com.  Zip, zero, nada.  No backorder, nothing.

Can you get to a store?

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #1142 on: January 23, 2014, 06:56:20 AM »
Can you get to a store?

The new one in Lonetree is about 45 minutes away.  I'd do the in-store pickup, but I'm not driving that far for a "chance" encounter with a box of 22lr.  I'll keep checking the local spots when I can.  There was some at the gun show last weekend, but it was stupid overpriced.

Checked Cabelas again this morning and they had the Remington on the site, but none available for order.  Looks like they're putting some online at midnight and taking it down when it's gone.  Early bird gets the worm!

nelson96

« Reply #1143 on: January 23, 2014, 07:51:40 AM »
Checked Cabelas again this morning and they had the Remington on the site, but none available for order.  Looks like they're putting some online at midnight and taking it down when it's gone.  Early bird gets the worm!

What I meant is that they can order it for you from the store.  That way it doesn't matter if they take it off their website.  You can pick it up there or have it shipped from your home.  Good luck either way, this whole thing is a real pain.

Offline lettuceman

• Survivor
« Reply #1144 on: January 23, 2014, 07:52:54 AM »
Academy in Sunset Valley (TX) as of last night, hasn't received a shipment of 22LR in three weeks.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #1145 on: January 23, 2014, 09:55:25 AM »
Thunderbolt isn't my favorite .22lr.  I'll probably hold onto it as trading stock, or until I go through my bricks of Federal.

RE: .223/5.56 - I can routinely find it in many places, but the best price I can find on the 55gr plinking variety is still about $7.99 per box.  Hunting rounds are much more.
I realize I can save a few cents per round doing a massive bulk internet order, but I've other preps that need large chunks of cash first.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1146 on: March 04, 2014, 06:59:26 PM »
Guess we are in for another year.  Steel cased "Russian" ammo is starting to fly off shelves with news sources reporting future imports may be banned as part of retaliation package against Crimea situation. Never let a crisis go to waste...

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #1147 on: March 04, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »
I know people who are nuts for 5.45x39mm AK74s, but to my knowledge it's 100% import.  I don't even think anyone makes brass cases let alone reloading dies for that cartridge.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1148 on: March 04, 2014, 08:49:02 PM »
I know people who are nuts for 5.45x39mm AK74s, but to my knowledge it's 100% import.  I don't even think anyone makes brass cases let alone reloading dies for that cartridge.

The good news is that there are still cases available at 15 cent a round.  It is still cueaper than 22LR at many places!

7.62x39 is now out at several big dealers like AIM Surplus but cases still available at other places for 25 to 30 cents a round shipped.  It looks like there may be enough in stock to stay on shelves.  Interestingly it is steel cased 9mm and 223 which seems to have the greatest run with cheapest inventory starting togrow thin.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #1149 on: March 04, 2014, 09:07:11 PM »
Hornady makes steel-cased 5.45x39.

Huntington Die Specialties custom-makes dies and plates for the round, but I don't think anyone makes them generally available.

The Professor

inbox485

« Reply #1150 on: March 04, 2014, 09:56:21 PM »
The good news is that there are still cases available at 15 cent a round.  It is still cueaper than 22LR at many places!

7.62x39 is now out at several big dealers like AIM Surplus but cases still available at other places for 25 to 30 cents a round shipped.  It looks like there may be enough in stock to stay on shelves.  Interestingly it is steel cased 9mm and 223 which seems to have the greatest run with cheapest inventory starting togrow thin.

Well the simple approach is given a typical barrel life of 8-12K rounds, just buy 8-12K along with your rifle. Then when that is running low you can decide to reup with new barrel and new batch, or switch to something like 5.56. That way you get around $1400 in ammo, a $1200 rifle, and your set for the barrel life. Then if you swap calibers, you are only out ~$200 that you would have been out anyway.

inbox485

« Reply #1151 on: March 04, 2014, 09:56:40 PM »
Now for rimfire, I just realized I've been remiss in sharing some rimfire love. I'm going to break this down so bear with me, but the end result is getting .22 at retail without standing in lines at walmart.

First there is a back door link to Cabela's. I'll post it at the end. Read before using or you will just get confused.

You click the link, and it will look like a whole bunch of stuff is in stock. From here there are things you can do. If you click "view items in cart" you can go to the bottom of the list and click "email your shopping cart" and create a new link for yourself. The links get burnt after 30 days or if they get abused and 1000 people use the same link and then burn up the phones because they don't get how they work. So you want to start by making your own link and keeping it to yourself.

You can add to the links by adding things to your cart conventionally or by opening multiple cart links. You can remove items by going to "view items in cart" and using remove one at a time.

Now that you have your own link, you can start clicking checkout. When you do this, you get real time access to inventory. If there is anything in stock, you will see a new cart screen with just those items. If nothing is in stock, you will see an empty cart. Keep trying. You see the most inventory between 0800-1000 Pacific, but stuff will pop up throughout the day as excess orders get canceled (more on this). If you catch something in inventory, and click checkout again, you will be able to checkout with it even if you aren't super fast about it. Once you see the billing address page, the only way you can mess things up is by things like clicking checkout on another tab. In other words, from there, the order can be submitted even if somebody else got theirs in first.

That is where the catch comes in. No matter what that item will appear initially to be in stock. But as soon as you submit you will get an email, and you can check order history to see the status. At this point lots of chaos happens and most of the time you eventually get it, but not always, and not immediately. It will sometimes ship immediately, other times it will show back ordered, other times it will just sit as in process for days, and sometimes it will be canceled with cryptic explanations. Just think of it as a magic 8 ball and don't get too hung up on individual orders. Cabela's preauthorizes when you submit orders but they don't charge until they ship.

Whatever you do, don't call customer service asking about it. To them, the item will be out of stock, the order will have been an error, and ergo must be canceled. Just let it ride out and take its course. During processing, they are looking for double orders for people exceeding the daily limits. Those orders can but don’t always get canceled. Some people seem to get on naughty lists and get stuff canceled even when it isn’t over the limit. Others just get stuff canceled because it happens to be sunny outside. Again, magic 8 ball.

The majority of completed orders do eventually ship. Stuff that goes from in stock to back order tends to get filled within a few days. Point being if you work a desk job or can otherwise afford to poke your head in for a few seconds here and there in the mornings, you’ll score ammo here and there for minimal effort given some patience and persistence.

One thing you can do is remove the items from your cart link that you wouldn’t want even if it shipped. This speeds up the checks, and saves you from messes like getting something you want, and something you don’t, and then not removing the thing you don’t want in time to check out with the item you do want.

Yeah, yeah, it was a lot of reading, but it will pay off, and this link is nothing but trouble if you don’t know what you are doing with it. Cabela’s doesn’t care who is getting back door action as long as people aren’t causing them trouble with it. So by all means go get some, but be smart about it.

The link to get you started:
http://www.cabelas.com/checkout/retrieveShoppingCart.cmd?cartId=b921d1c5d74d83feb9f06ff9a499a396

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #1152 on: March 04, 2014, 10:14:55 PM »
I'd seen links like that before posted on the r/gundeals/ on reddit.  It seemed weird that items were added to my cart automagically

I did it once for a 500 pack of remington and did in-store pickup.  I might try this again, esp. if they get Federal Champion again.

Thanks inbox!

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #1153 on: March 05, 2014, 09:28:51 AM »
nice post. i wish i could take advantage of it, but after shipping and taxes it becomes cost prohibitive for me. if i could do in store pickup it would be a different story.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #1154 on: March 05, 2014, 10:57:36 AM »
I wonder if tula, wolf, brown bear, and other commie ammo will start to dry up because of whats going on with Russia?

nelson96

« Reply #1155 on: March 05, 2014, 11:01:20 AM »
I wonder if tula, wolf, brown bear, and other commie ammo will start to dry up because of whats going on with Russia?

Litterally dry up, no.  Get held by the brokers to stage a price hike, yes.

inbox485

« Reply #1156 on: March 05, 2014, 12:24:18 PM »
nice post. i wish i could take advantage of it, but after shipping and taxes it becomes cost prohibitive for me. if i could do in store pickup it would be a different story.

If you play the game, and use codes and get their club card, you can keep it under $30/brick which is sadly about what retail is now. In stock at Walmart will score you about $25/brick, but that is as low as it goes, and I don't expect prices to go below that. I'd be shocked if there isn't another wholesale price hike by end of summer. Those trillions in free dollars weren't free. It is most active in the second half of the month, so I usually wait until a couple bricks pop up at once and take advantage of either shipping codes or the $5 flat shipping with the club card.

d3nni5

« Reply #1157 on: March 05, 2014, 01:30:31 PM »
I haven't bought ammo in months.   I haven't shot in months.    I've got my limits and then some, so I'm feeling good about not having to buy right now, but wish I'd find time to get back to the range.

One exception.   I bought a Colt Anaconda from my brother recently.   I got 2 boxes of .44 mag.  it was over $80 total.   ouch!

Offline libertyorbust1776

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1158 on: March 05, 2014, 01:48:45 PM »
Where i live .22lr is an arm and a leg (80 bucks for 200 rounds) because all the gun shops around here pay people to go buy up all the ammo at places like dicks and walmart and then they turn around and sell it in their store for double the price they paid.... I was in a gun shop last week and the owner told me he does this after i told him i had a hard time finding .22... i was pissed... i told him i would never frequent his store again....  im surprised shit like that is even legal .....

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #1159 on: March 05, 2014, 02:51:49 PM »
I haven't bought ammo in months.   I haven't shot in months.    I've got my limits and then some, so I'm feeling good about not having to buy right now, but wish I'd find time to get back to the range.

One exception.   I bought a Colt Anaconda from my brother recently.   I got 2 boxes of .44 mag.  it was over $80 total.   ouch!

I have a new in box RCBS .41 and .44mag die sets I got for a song a while ago.  I don't reload those cartridges, so if you plan handloading .44 maybe we can barter. 
I think they are original from 1983 or so.  I did test the resizing die on some .44mag brass my son picked up, otherwise they are mint.

d3nni5

« Reply #1160 on: March 05, 2014, 04:24:46 PM »
I have a new in box RCBS .41 and .44mag die sets I got for a song a while ago.  I don't reload those cartridges, so if you plan handloading .44 maybe we can barter. 
I think they are original from 1983 or so.  I did test the resizing die on some .44mag brass my son picked up, otherwise they are mint.

thanks, I will keep that in mind!

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #1161 on: March 05, 2014, 08:13:59 PM »

I'm thinking that's a real possibility (or at least price hikes as nelson says), so I'm probaby gonna go shopping for a little more food for my SKS and CZ-82.  Serves me right for having a weakness for hammer-and-sickle guns, I suppose.  That CZ is just such a sweet shooter, it's hard to resist shooting the damn thing.

d3nni5

« Reply #1162 on: March 06, 2014, 04:40:09 AM »
  That CZ is just such a sweet shooter, it's hard to resist shooting the damn thing.

Amen brother.   My first (and favorite) handgun was my CZ-75.  If it weren't so damned heavy and big, I'd carry it.  My local gunshop has a stainless model in the used case.   It was all I could do not to throw down the $$ and pick it up.   I resisted...need to save my money.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1163 on: March 06, 2014, 01:39:45 PM »
I got my Cheaper Then Dirt catalog yesterday and they now have 7.62X54R again for $89.97 a spam can of 440 rounds. Russan 70's and 80's, silver tip. That's cheaper then the 22rf now.

Offline MississippiJarhead

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I never learned from a man who agreed with me.-RAH
« Reply #1164 on: March 06, 2014, 06:40:01 PM »
Local Walmart (Newton, MS) was pretty wiped out earlier. Of course no .22LR but very light on virtually everything else.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #1165 on: March 07, 2014, 12:26:14 AM »
Here we go again, the next ammo run has started:

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/a-run-on-ammunition-has-begun-russia-has-reportedly-halted-all-exports-to-the-us-of-russian-made-ammunition_03062014

The largest wholesale gun & ammo distributors in the US have informed us in private conversation today that a massive scramble is on for all 7.62 as Russia has reportedly halted all exports to the US of Russian made ammunition.

Our distributor source informed us that yesterday they had several hundred thousand rounds of Russian made 7.62 TulAmmo, and after receiving word early today on the halt of Russian exports to the US, they have been completely wiped out of every last round in the past 10 hours!

I have no idea what percentage of the US market Russian suppliers represent, surely there are 7.62 x 39 and 7.62 x 54R suppliers from other countries?

It will be interesting to see how such a panic affects other calibers too.

~TG

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #1166 on: March 07, 2014, 12:58:38 AM »
I have no idea what percentage of the US market Russian suppliers represent, surely there are 7.62 x 39 and 7.62 x 54R suppliers from other countries?

Well, a good portion of U.S. imports of Warsaw Pact calibers come from Ukraine, but I don't think that helps the situation much...

Romania and Bulgaria can probably expect a spike in ammunition exports, that's for sure.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #1167 on: March 07, 2014, 12:32:53 PM »
You can unbunch your panties.  There's some BS regarding the "russian" cartridges.  Only a fraction of the US imports of the *x39 rounds are actually made in Russia.  Many are from Germany, Taiwan and other places.  Read a complete explanation:  https://www.thebangswitch.com/is-the-x39-world-coming-to-an-end/

That all said, I'm a huge supply chain nerd, and miss the days of buying a 5 gallon bucket of pulled 55gr .224 bullets near Ft. Lewis

nelson96

« Reply #1168 on: March 07, 2014, 01:17:04 PM »
miss the days of buying a 5 gallon bucket of pulled 55gr .224 bullets near Ft. Lewis

At Surplus Ammo?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #1169 on: March 07, 2014, 02:35:13 PM »
At Surplus Ammo?

Yes.  Though to be clear, back when that was plentiful I wasn't into reloading yet.  I had friends that used to regularly get 1000 bullets for $50.